Dominion 29,035 Ft. Double IPA - Old Dominion Brewing Company

Dominion 29,035 Ft. Double IPA
No picture uploaded.

Old Dominion Brewing Company visit their website
Delaware, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-28-2006)
View: Beers (29) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

ghostmech007

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured into a snifter from the cask at the brewpub. Review from notes, dated 06/06.

Very deep amber color, with a thick creamy head. It say's right on the menu now. "WARNING!! - FROM CASK!" I thought that was so cool.

BIG HOP NOSE! Possibly the biggest hop nose I have ever smelled. Nice punch in nose.

Big gear change here. Although heavy on the tongue, I thought I was going to get a big hop burn but it never came. And then it came. Right after the fruity intro the hops found my tongue and the hops made my head swim. Not harsh, not raw, not brash but just perfect. It was a great combination of everything, the hops very perfect.

Now just so we are understanding... I drove nearly three hours in rush hour traffic in the other direction from home to get to this brew. On the sole word of my fellow beer geeks. I was so surprised at the brew that I actually wanted to steal the recipe. Wonderful brew.

07-30-2007 22:17:06 | More by ghostmech007
RBorsato

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%

Tasted On-Cask on 06/27/06 at the Old Dominion Brewpub in Ashburn, VA.

Cloudy, hazy, golden color with a nice cask induced head which leaves thick sheets of lacing. Intense citrusy hop aroma but not really grapefruity like Cascades. Incredibly hoppy flavors without being overly bitter ... my tongue felt as if it were attacked by hop slime. Alcohol is noticeable for sure. Full bodied and creamy smooth with a nice bitter finish and some warming alcohol notes.

This is and excellent example of a Double IPA in that it is incredibly balanced and also incredibly hoppy without being bitter tasting … Get it before it's gone !

07-31-2006 18:36:15 | More by RBorsato
jokelahoma

Missouri

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this one on cask at the brewpub in Ashburn, Virginia.

It came to me a cloudy, deep amber with a huge, creamy head, and a roiling pour, almost as though it were from a nitro tap. Very impressive presentation, and a good start to the beer experience. I also received the "it's on cask..." warning, which is always a good idea.

The aroma to this brew is simply unbelievable. I honest to God smelled the beer from across the bar as it was being poured, and this is a bar filled with other beers, food smells, etc. As soon as they opened the tap, I got a whiff of what was to come. Grassy, floral hops filled my nose. It almost had a smell of sitting in a flower garden in spring as your neighbor cuts his lawn. It was so appetizing an aroma my mouth actually started watering.

The taste is quite surprisingly mild up front. It's very fruity, almost fruit punch-like. It's creamy, full bodied, sweet... is this an IPA? Then POW! There's the hops. This is not a bitter DIPA, but it has so much hop flavor to it as to make it almost indescribable. Just stunning. It's not harsh in any way, shape or form. Don't misunderstand... this is a highly hopped brew. While I didn't talk to the brewer, the hopping has to be predominately late hops, most likely with boatloads of lower cohumulone high alpha hops (I've since learned it's Summit), as opposed to the low alpha hops in their imperial pilsner. Perhaps there's even first wort hopping here. What ever they did... wow. Outstanding. This is the first DIPA I've had that didn't make my cheeks want to touch inside my mouth, or leave me feeling like I licked sandpaper. Not that I mind those sensations, when I expect them. But to expect them and not get them is a pleasant dream come true. Smooth, creamy, hoppy but not harsh... beautiful.

The body is heavy, as one could expect from a high gravity cask ale.

This is a very, very good beer. I had to drive myself out of there, or I'd have had several. It's big, it's bold, but it isn't overwhelming at all. Highly, highly recommended.

06-17-2006 02:29:00 | More by jokelahoma
hopsaplenty

4.38/5  rDev -3.3%

Cloudy but yet shiny copper. Topped with a frothy, short, dense head of medium light sand colored bubbles on top with a layer of fine ones underneath. Eventually it settles to a chunky bubbly head that lasts almost the entire pint. The smell is sharp, rich, fresh citrus, juicy. Boldly hopped all the way through, this starts fresh and bitey with a solid malt backbone that stands up proud. The hops takeover midway through with a pronounced citrus/pine resinous note. There is only the slightest hint of the 9.5% alcohol that shows up in the tail end of the finish. The citrus oils dominate the finish which is long and luscious. Medium body with wonderful smooth cask created mouthfeel that is soft and without carbonation. The Summit hops give it a prickly edge, but the cask knocks it down just a touch which keeps this from being one dimensional. This was a beautiful beer and well worth making the trip to Ashburn to try. I could drink it all day, but sometimes one is all you need to make your day. At $6.50/pint, it wasn’t cheap, but well worth it.

05-31-2006 16:38:10 | More by hopsaplenty
Dominion 29,035 Ft. Double IPA from Old Dominion Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.