Morning Glory - Old Dominion Brewing Company

Morning GloryMorning Glory

Old Dominion Brewing Company visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: larryi86 on 11-24-2012)
Reviews by StoutHunter:
3.76/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Old Dominion's Morning Glory last week for $2.09 at The Lager Mill. I had this beer before, but I don't remember much about it and I thought I should revisit it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a dark brown color that let just a little bit of light come through which made for a more brown like color with two fingers worth of light mocha colored head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the coffee being the first to show up, it's fairly nice, but it has a light over roasted coffee aspect to it. Up next comes the malts which impart some roasted, chocolate and sweet malt aromas with a slight bit of charred malt aromas showing up in the background. This beer had a pretty nice aroma and the coffee was showcased just like I would expect from a Coffee Stout.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the coffee still being the first to show up, but this time the coffee doesn't seem to be as overly roasted as it was in the aroma and it was followed by a slightly creamy flavor. Up next comes the malts which impart the some sweet malt, chocolate and roasted flavors with a slight bit of alcohol that's barely noticeable. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness with a coffee, chocolate and sweet malt like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, just like the aroma the coffee was still the star of the show.

M- Fairly smooth, a little sticky, a little rich, medium creamy, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a low amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and a nice example of a Coffee Stout, the coffee was showcased nicely as it should be and the malts provided a nice base for this beer while keeping the alcohol well hidden. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, not too boozy, a little rich, not too filling and that taste did a nice job of holding my attention, I think two would be my limit for this beer and I think this would be a nice beer to enjoy in the fall. What I like the most about this beer was that the coffee wasn't too strong or to weak, it was right in the middle and that worked well in this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the over roasted coffee aroma, it wasn't bad at all, it was just pretty noticeable to me. I might buy this beer again and I wouldn't turn one down. I would recommend this to anyone who like coffee stouts, but I don't think it will be a stand out. All in all I was happy with this beer, it wasn't the best coffee stout I have had, but i didn't think there was anything really wrong with it and it satisfied my craving for a coffee beer. I still like GI Gi's Farmhouse Ale the most as far as beers from Old Dominion go, but this one would be my second favorite from them. Nice work guys, keep up the solid work.

2.91/5  rDev -24.2%

A: Looks like it should for a double stout

S: Best part of this beer is the smell, almost has a barrel aged character to it

T: My bottle was dated May 2013 so that must be why this beer isn't very good. I taste very little coffee and a lot of fake chocolate when drinking this beer

M: Decent, a little flat

O: I may just be tasting an almost year old batch but this beer was not good at all. I would have thought a 9% stout would hold up somewhat well over a year but that doesn't seem to be the case with this beer. I was very excited by the smell because it smelled a bit of bourbon but the fake chocolate taste was a huge let down.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

4.11/5  rDev +7%

Pours a deep dark black absorbs all light no ruby highlights to note, big mocha tan head forms thick and lasts awhile, fine speckled lacing left behind. Aroma has big notes of milk chocolate, creamed coffee, a bit of acrid acidity from the coffee roasts to boot. Flavor really stays balanced not overtly sweet or killer with lactose sugars but there's a not of creamed coffee, dark roasted malt base with the bitter dark espresso adds to a nice robust finish and each sip is a bit smoother going down the last. Alcohol flavors add to the complexity and I believe at 9% I would say it's well hidden in this sample...a brewery I used to recognize as a Virginian Old Dominion staple is now brewed and bottled in Dover, DE. This is part of a series they released with WWII era pinup girls and of all the labels this is the most likely that would actually be hanging on your wall. Mouthfeel is smooth a bit of creamy textured dark chocolate with a balanced bitterness from the dark roasted malts/coffee additions, carbonation is natural and the alcohol warmth doesn't overwhelm but it's sure to warm you during the polar vortex we are currently experience. Overall, I'm very impressed with this offering comparing it to the Double D DIPA that I tried, which I found to be sugary and not fermented out all the way.

3.84/5  rDev 0%

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

4.06/5  rDev +5.7%

This is a solid-looking stout with pretty good thickness in its dark brown body. It develops a tan head in the snifter, which sits at a full finger's height, barely fading through the entire session and dropping patching as it goes.
Espresso is straightforward in the nose, and refreshingly so. True, it may be one-dimensional, but it really isn't entirely, as some notes of roast and cocoa come out. It's nice to see a beer with as a complementary a note as coffee is to stout that translates well and isn't hushed.
It's straightforward in the taste, too, though this is a very well-brewed beer that shows off strong flavor without needing to blow the drinker's face off, and it puts in the forefront what's supposed to be there without dominating the supporting cast. Speaking of: roast, gently bittersweet cocoa, and vanilla all take their turn. more points go to this beer for avoiding the pitfalls of the style: acidity, astringency and/or an acrid harshness. Finally, that 9% ABV? It blows my mind to even read that it's that high while smelling or tasting this beer.
It starts off like a coffee soda (surprisingly good, though), a bit heavy on the carbonation and spritz. It backs down a bit as it goes and the body is really quite smooth. It's got just a touch less body than it ought to. Overall, though, this is really quite good. Kudos to these guys for a beer that, being my second, piques my interest in the brewery.

4.75/5  rDev +23.7%