1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Morning Glory - Old Dominion Brewing Company

Morning GloryMorning Glory

Old Dominion Brewing Company visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: larryi86 on 11-24-2012)
3.24/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a New Belgium goblet. Back label says Bottling Date: 04/09/14.

A- Pours a fully opaque black color with a 1/2 inch tan head that retains well before dissolving down to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a mostly full sheet of sheer surface foam. Resilient lacing leaves a thin solid ring behind.

S- Immediate shot of booze plus some brown sugar sweetness. Trying to find coffee and dark roast but it's hard to see through the heavy alcohol fume.

T- Taste is much of the same with an overbearing sweetness and booze burn. Mild coffee, soft vanilla and some unappealing dark roast. Coffee starts to come out more as it warms but it's too little, too late.

M- Sharp from the booze and not as viscous as it should be. Medium carbonation and a body leaning toward the fuller side.

O- Wow, I don't know what they were going for here, but this is a pretty lame excuse for a coffee stout. Way too boozy to be enjoyable and the coffee presence is severely lacking.

Immortale25, Jun 02, 2014

AMCPhD, May 11, 2014

jdvincen, May 09, 2014

Zachior, May 06, 2014
2.91/5  rDev -24%

A: Looks like it should for a double stout

S: Best part of this beer is the smell, almost has a barrel aged character to it

T: My bottle was dated May 2013 so that must be why this beer isn't very good. I taste very little coffee and a lot of fake chocolate when drinking this beer

M: Decent, a little flat

O: I may just be tasting an almost year old batch but this beer was not good at all. I would have thought a 9% stout would hold up somewhat well over a year but that doesn't seem to be the case with this beer. I was very excited by the smell because it smelled a bit of bourbon but the fake chocolate taste was a huge let down.

barhoc11, May 04, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

Davepoolesque, May 01, 2014

atrocity, Apr 29, 2014

tkdchampxi, Apr 26, 2014

Lare453, Apr 25, 2014

Eastside151, Apr 22, 2014
3.59/5  rDev -6.3%

A: Black, like the kitty licking condensation off of my glass. A creme tan colored head rises up from the body of the beer. The head is small, and gently subsides back into the body of the beer.

S: Rich dark coffee, molasses, and perhaps a hint of vanilla in the aroma. Some slight earthy notes, but the coffee really dominates the aroma with rich malt backing it up.

T: First sip is all coffee, the flavor subsides, and lets the malt shine through, dark chocolate, and possibly a touch of wood comes in. The finish is sweetened coffee, almost but not quite cloying. There is a touch of alcohol in there...

M: Medium thick in body, the carbonation is a bit strong for me, but not too distracting. The finish definitely goes out smooth, coating the mouth with coffee goodness as it goes down.

O: Good brew, nice stout and I like what the espresso bring to the party. Considering the abv, and the fact that I got it pretty cheap in a mix a six, I think it is a pretty good buy. Perhaps not the best of the style, but certainly something that will kill a craving.

Beejay, Apr 21, 2014

markgugs, Apr 20, 2014

DrBass, Apr 11, 2014

jsnoek, Apr 05, 2014
3.76/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Old Dominion's Morning Glory last week for $2.09 at The Lager Mill. I had this beer before, but I don't remember much about it and I thought I should revisit it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a dark brown color that let just a little bit of light come through which made for a more brown like color with two fingers worth of light mocha colored head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the coffee being the first to show up, it's fairly nice, but it has a light over roasted coffee aspect to it. Up next comes the malts which impart some roasted, chocolate and sweet malt aromas with a slight bit of charred malt aromas showing up in the background. This beer had a pretty nice aroma and the coffee was showcased just like I would expect from a Coffee Stout.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the coffee still being the first to show up, but this time the coffee doesn't seem to be as overly roasted as it was in the aroma and it was followed by a slightly creamy flavor. Up next comes the malts which impart the some sweet malt, chocolate and roasted flavors with a slight bit of alcohol that's barely noticeable. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness with a coffee, chocolate and sweet malt like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, just like the aroma the coffee was still the star of the show.

M- Fairly smooth, a little sticky, a little rich, medium creamy, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a low amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and a nice example of a Coffee Stout, the coffee was showcased nicely as it should be and the malts provided a nice base for this beer while keeping the alcohol well hidden. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, not too boozy, a little rich, not too filling and that taste did a nice job of holding my attention, I think two would be my limit for this beer and I think this would be a nice beer to enjoy in the fall. What I like the most about this beer was that the coffee wasn't too strong or to weak, it was right in the middle and that worked well in this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the over roasted coffee aroma, it wasn't bad at all, it was just pretty noticeable to me. I might buy this beer again and I wouldn't turn one down. I would recommend this to anyone who like coffee stouts, but I don't think it will be a stand out. All in all I was happy with this beer, it wasn't the best coffee stout I have had, but i didn't think there was anything really wrong with it and it satisfied my craving for a coffee beer. I still like GI Gi's Farmhouse Ale the most as far as beers from Old Dominion go, but this one would be my second favorite from them. Nice work guys, keep up the solid work.

StoutHunter, Apr 05, 2014