Pyramid Hefeweizen - Pyramid Breweries, Inc.

Pyramid Hefeweizen
No picture uploaded.

Pyramid Breweries, Inc. visit their website
Washington, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-16-2001)
Samaurer23

1.25/5  rDev -59.7%

07-29-2013 21:02:50 | More by Samaurer23
chOAKbarrell

Maryland

1.27/5  rDev -59%

Something is seriously wrong here.

This looks like no other hefeweizen I've ever seen. It is very dark - an amber/reddish hue. Unlike the other reviews, mine is not very murky. I can see right through it, and there's nothing floating in it. The head is tiny even with an aggressive pour, leaves no lacing, and quickly dies without a trace.

This beer stinks. Literally. Smells of funk & sourness. Yeasty. Uninviting.

Taste is sour, in a bad way (not like a lambic). Very watery and bites at your tongue. None of the usual pleasant refreshing qualities of a hefeweizen.

This is the worst hefeweizen I have ever had. I poured it out & opened a second bottle, just to make sure, and it was the same story. I hope something was wrong with the six pack I got, or that it was outdated (the date code was unreadable). Otherwise, I dont see how Pyramid could possibly think it was a good idea to make & market this beer.

01-23-2006 23:59:48 | More by chOAKbarrell
Luiz0930

1.5/5  rDev -51.6%

05-31-2013 18:40:54 | More by Luiz0930
DrinkinSurfer

1.6/5  rDev -48.4%

It tastes like budweiser with a hint of hefe yeast. Not a hefe at all. You are better off buying a 12er of bud and a pack of bubblegum. Chew the gum till you can hardly taste it, then slam the twelver. This would be a more pleasant experience, I swear.

09-09-2009 03:14:55 | More by DrinkinSurfer
Stopper

Connecticut

1.65/5  rDev -46.8%

I recently managed to get complementary pint of this at a low-traffic airport lounge. I was disappointed that the glass I got was actually much smaller than a pint, but then realized I wasn't as disappointed about the size of the serving as I thought I would be...

I definitely love a good hefeweizen, especially after a couple trips to Germany, and this is the worst representation of the style I have ever tasted in any country.

It looked very authentic, a very cloudy white/yellow, and I was hoping for good things. As I approached it, I was surprised to find little identifiable aroma. Hoping to find what was missing in the nose waiting in the body, I dove in, and the best description I could decide on for the flavor I was tasting was "weak Heineken"! It had none of the distinctive spicey, clovey, banana-ey flavors normally expected from a good Hefeweizen, and it wasn't even very like an american wheat beer. This was the first brew I have tried from Pyramid, and I'm not excited to try another anytime soon. My only hope is that they didn't truly do such a poor job of brewing this beer, but that it was just poorly treated at the bar.

06-05-2003 23:08:04 | More by Stopper
smcolw

1.75/5  rDev -43.5%

Surprisingly little head for the style. No lasting yeast. Yellow gold color with little cloudiness.

Strong medicinal aroma upfront. Definitely a departure from any wheat I've ever had. There's a beef stew component as well but no wheat or even yeast to the nose.

It's hard to get past the smell to get a taste that isn't effected. Perhaps if I hold my nose... There's a touch of sweetness that is completely inappropriate for the style. No wheat notes. The swallow is like finishing a vegetable soup. The body is okay and perhaps the only redeeming quality to this beer. This beer is a clear miss. This is a difficult review because I am rooting for Pyramid to make great beers. In the end, I ended up dumping the glass.

12-01-2012 02:09:01 | More by smcolw
bullcrapp

1.75/5  rDev -43.5%

03-10-2012 04:31:39 | More by bullcrapp
GuinnessHero

Mississippi

1.78/5  rDev -42.6%

This was honestly not that good of a beer. I had had a pint or two of Guinness, and was offered to try one of those.

A - This is the best part about it. Looks almost like an uncarbonated orange soda, good and bad in some respects. Decent head, and minimal lacing.

S - Very citrus-like and a lot of vanilla also.

T - This is where it really went downhill for me. It tasted like a lager, but mixed with a rotten orange.

M - Horrible aftertaste. I had to crack open another can of Guinness to get the awful taste out of my mouth. Can't drink more than one just on that factor.

D - As I stated in the mouthfeel, you can't be drinking this stuff all night and really enjoy it. I would take a natty over it anyday.

After drinking this, I went back, got a Guinness and drank that like no other. Never again will I drink this, even if it's free.

10-04-2005 02:01:38 | More by GuinnessHero
Mitchster

1.83/5  rDev -41%

Brewed with 2-row Barley, Malted wheat, and Caramel malt. Hopped with Liberty.

OG=1.051, 5.2% ABV.

Quite cloudy, apricot in color, forming a very light beige head with good retention and lacing. Aroma is very faint with no bananas or cloves to speak of..just "Macro Tang"..AKA adjuncts. Taste is dull, starting with weak, lemony flavor hops, a boatload of adjuncts, a potent burn of alcohol. This is not a good beer, and a horrible Hefe-Weizen. Carbonation is mild, with a smooth mouthfeel and medium-thin body. The finish is watery, like drinking the pressings from a can of corn.

I agree with Stopper, this is the worst representation of the style I have ever tasted in any country. I saw Pyramid being sold all over the place on my trip throughout the West Coast. I thought that I may visit the brewery when I was out in Seattle...that was until I tasted this utter garbage. This beer sucks.

06-20-2003 21:31:40 | More by Mitchster
mrasskicktastic

1.88/5  rDev -39.4%

A - Without the yeast there was no head and the beer was a clear golden amber. With the yeast added, it changed to having a decent sized head and being a very cloudy golden copper (bronze?) color.

S - Caramel and apples (not even the standard caramel malty smell, this is just caramel apples). A pungent grassy chemical odor too. Although I wouldn't say it was very inviting, it is also not very offensive.

T - The foretaste is very weak, but it is mostly of compost with a mild apple presence and a touch of caramel maltiness with some chemical edge. Aftertaste is a strong grassy bitterness with a chemical presence - just like many rice-centric beers that I have had. Not very pleasant.

M - It is pretty smooth but not refreshing. It leaves my mouth feeling like it is recovering from novacaine. A bizzarre and unpleasant feeling. But at least it is smooth!

D - BAs may know that this is not a true hefeweizen, but those poor deceived folk who think that it is . . . tsk tsk. The aftertaste and lack of refreshment make this a bit diffuclt to drink. I will take just about any wheat beer over this - and certainly any hefeweizen that I have ever had. Maybe this is why hefeweizens are generally served with a lemon wedge?

09-26-2006 02:02:17 | More by mrasskicktastic
Wasatch

Utah

1.9/5  rDev -38.7%

Poured a cloudy yellow, nice carbonation, with a small head. No lacing basically. Scents of malt, citrus. This is not a hefe at all, more like a lager, kinda bitter as well. Medium body. I would never buy or recommend this brew to anyone, tottally bogus stuff.

10-08-2005 22:16:59 | More by Wasatch
jantonius

1.9/5  rDev -38.7%

A: Golden Opaque

S: Weak malt and citrus

T: Very slight citrus, seems like the ingredients have cheapened

M: Light with moderate carbonation

D: Not a real good Hef, ok for cooking or watching some ball games

As far as Hef's go, I would recomend Sierra Nevada Kellerweiss, Paulaner Hefeweisen or Tucher Hefeweisen

11-26-2009 03:32:28 | More by jantonius
OldeGolde

1.93/5  rDev -37.7%

Well dang. Glad I finally ran into some brews that rubbed me the wrong way. This one really draws you in with the bottle, and probably the brewery name/logo more than anything else. Then the look of the actual beer was pretty great, too. I mean this pup had some nice haze going on for sure. Then you smell it- what's this? Tough to say. They're going for something, but then it drops off so quick and just heads into a little wheatiness. Taste follows in the same direction. This was so much like a light beer to my tongue I couldn't believe it. It's like a light beer dressed up as something better. Won't be buying this brew again.

09-10-2010 22:54:10 | More by OldeGolde
Quaffer

Nevada

1.95/5  rDev -37.1%

Appearance: This was a hazy, straw colored beer. The head was tiny and disappeared instantly, just like a soda. There was no trace of it left at all.

Smell: A very mild aroma. There were some grains and some malt, combined with a slight citrus bite.

Mouthfeel: Thin bodied and rough.

Taste: Very unimpressive. It tasted a lot like a macro to me, like there were adjuncts in it. There is a hint of tartness in the flavor, as well as a sweetness on the finish.

This tasted like a macro with a hint of lemon. Never again.

03-11-2003 15:13:15 | More by Quaffer
sprackops

1.95/5  rDev -37.1%

Presentation: Short 12oz brown bottle, colorful label. No freshness date. Poured into a pint glass as I prefer not to break out my weizen glasses until late spring.

Appearance: Prior to the yeast pour, clear amber with fairly low carbonation and very little head. After swirling in the yeast the beer took on the appearance of cloudy apricot juice. Carbonation seemed livelier and it finally retained some head.

Smell: Musty wet cardboard dominates with only a hint of the fruity character one expects from a hefe.

Taste: Upfront yeasty character of over-ripe banana. There's a certain funk lurking in the background reminding me of my last Cantillon. Slight sourness.

Mouthfeel: Soft, almost powdery due to the yeast. Difficult to detect much carbonation.

Drinkability: Meh. Average to the style, I suppose, if this rendition appeals to you.

Notes: I suspect that I may have gotten an old bottle, as the wet cardboard smell is a sure sign of oxidation. I'll update this review at some point in the future if another bottle is significantly different.

01-18-2005 01:10:05 | More by sprackops
KarlHungus

1.98/5  rDev -36.1%

This beer pours a hazy golden-orange color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes quickly into thin lacing for a wheat beer. The aroma has a hint of tangy wheat, but is very neutral and faint. The taste is like the aroma, but without the wheat. The mouthfeel is light bodied, with a high level of carbonation. Overall, this is a very bad American Pale Wheat Ale, and it is certainly not a Hefe. I will not drink this again.

04-05-2008 20:56:30 | More by KarlHungus

Colorado

11-24-2012 02:36:43 | More by Ispeakforthetrees
DFN

Arizona

I bought a six-pack of Pyramid Hefe because it was on sale. I wish I hadn't. Maybe I'm just not a Hefeweizen guy, but I think this beer kind of sucks. It pours out a cloudy pale-orange color with a HUGE tannish head that dissipates rapidly, leaving no lace. Smell and taste are bland, slightly on the sweetish side, with a faint metallic aftertaste. Drinkable, but not much more than that. I'd give it 2 stars out of 5, about on a par with Budweiser and Corona.

07-22-2005 02:17:53 | More by DFN
kbnooshay

12-21-2012 15:40:39 | More by kbnooshay
jfcaa193

Connecticut

02-19-2012 04:05:53 | More by jfcaa193
NastyCanasta

When poured from the bottle the color was similiar to that of cloudy cider. Very thin head that quickly disappeared. No lacy residue left on the glass. Nothing very impressive.

As for smell nothing really overwhelmed me. I did not get to excited. It smelled typical to me.

The taste for me was quite bland. Nothing really turned my "buds" on. A small hint of citrus did find my tongue. Again, nothing to get to excited about.

It was very easy to drink. No real bitterness or tang.

A very unassuming and uneventful beer. An average wheat beer.

03-20-2005 01:50:08 | More by NastyCanasta
RoyalT

2.08/5  rDev -32.9%

Appearance – Orange and thin in color with a foaming head that went down in seconds.

Smell – Light yeast aroma with a sour accompaniment and very musty.

Taste – The yeast all but disappears at the taste. There’s a maltish replacement that doesn’t belong and a hoppy NW balance that should be in a Pale Ale. The fruity sweetness is lost in the must and dust.

Mouthfeel – Light and sweet as it should be, but the carbonation is absent which is the deathnell for a Hefe Weizen.

Sinkability – Horrible attempt at the style. I haven’t found an American brewery yet that can pull it off. I’m not finishing this.

11-08-2003 02:41:37 | More by RoyalT
Pyramid Hefeweizen from Pyramid Breweries, Inc.