Pyramid Hefeweizen - Pyramid Breweries, Inc.

Pyramid Hefeweizen
No picture uploaded.

Pyramid Breweries, Inc. visit their website
Washington, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-16-2001)
2.88/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured into a weizen glass.

A - Slightly hazy tangerine colored brew that produced a decent head of froth. Kinda fuzzed, but settled to a 1 finger head. Minimal lacing.

S - Nothing really here to report, a slight touch of spice perhaps, and maybe clove, but that's about it.

T - Lemon zest up front, coriander, and a yeasty body. Very light on the flavor.

M - Sharply carbonated light body. Not reminiscent of a Hefeweizen at all.

D - I'm going to pass on this one. Could serve as a gateway beer for someone trying to get into the craft segment, but I wouldn't recommend it.

PhageLab, Jun 17, 2011
3.48/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pour - a nice peachy, orange and yellow color with a bit of cloudiness. Not too much really once things settle down. The head is rather thin, perhaps a quarter of an inch or so and that is quick to fade away.

Aroma - first sniff brings about some of those usual suspects when it comes to Hefeweizens. I smell some bubble gum, some ripe banana and some hints of cloves. It's also got hints of bread dough and citrus (both lemon and orange).

Taste - a little spicy going down with some clove and pepper flavors. These are joined by some citrus flavors and even some light hoppiness. There is a dryness to this beer in the finish. It's almost like a musty sort of taste, not as bad as that sounds though. Its more like bready and tangy. Hard to describe with words I guess.

Overall - solid Hefe. Personally, I really enjoyed. I mowed my lawn earlier this evening and then cracked this open. It was refreshing and light and did the trick.

Would I buy more of it? - I actually don't see too many actual Hefeweizens in cans in my area so I would potentially get some more of these if they were available.

indiapaleale, Jun 16, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured a murky yellow with meh white head.

The smell was subdued with a clean breadiness coming through but the smell is fairly faint.

The taste is different for a Hefe. It almost tastes like a Lager or it was fermented at cooler temps. You don't get much in the way of those usual Hefe yeast esters. A little bready and a hint of clove or other spice.

Not a bad wheat beer but a fairly disappointing Hefe.

Eriktheipaman, Jun 06, 2011

Appearance - Yellow/orange hazy body had one finger of cream colored head that died down could get it back though it didn't like to stay around.

Smell - Bready yeast with a bit of grain not bad smell but its basic and not complex at all.

Taste - This is where they went wrong on this one I get the yeast with bit of grain that was in the nose but it finishes with an almost water like taste right at the end. The after taste has that same water like taste too it.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied smooth and refreshing perfect as its getting even hotter by the day. Its still a bit watery in the texture which is off putting.

Overall - Not bad but not good this is as mediocre as it gets I'd still drink it over a lot of other beers but its not something I'd go out of my way for. That said if you want a hefe from an American brewery and see this try it, its not the worst thing out there.

Jinholic, Jun 04, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -11.9%

When I first reviewed this beer I thought it was the worst hefeweizen I'd ever had, I thought it was terrible, that it shouldn't even be called a hefeweizen, but rather a lager with a smidgen of wheat in it. I was shocked and appalled at how bad of a beer it was. Well I'm going to give it a more official review this time and a second chance. Pours a big two finger head in a wheat glass. The head is completely white and is pretty pillowy looking, it doesn't look bad, the head is hanging around for quite some time, not really going anywhere at all. The head is also leaving very good lacing throughout the beer. The body is as cloudy as could be, nice orange color and a fair amount of sediment floating around. It's hard to see the carbonation in this beer, but it looks about right. I'm really shocked with the appearance on this beer, I almost want to give it a 4.5 on appearance, but I know that this beer doesn't deserve that, so 4. The smell on the other hand is pretty terrible, it smells like an adjunct lager. Small malt smell, some sourness and sweetness in the smell as well. Really no wheat or hops, or any spices or fruit on the smell at all, it smells nothing like what a hefeweizen should smell like, it smells like a Hamm's or something. On the first sniff I thought 2.5, but it really doesn't even deserve that. Yeah, not a good beer here, it tastes like a standard lager to me. I get maybe a hair of wheat on the taste and the mouthfeel, but for the most part it's really just a lager here. Mostly sour and sweet like an adjunct lager would be, no real hops or fruit or spices, some malt. I mean it might taste a hair better than it smells, but barely. I would say that this is one tiny step up from a Coors or a Hamm's, any standard adjunct lager. I might be detecting tiny hints of lemon now, but the flavor is still really just a lager. The mouthfeel is pretty good actually for a wheat beer, you get a lot of wheat on the feel, it's for sure big enough in the body for the style. Carbonation is very good too for the style, right on there. Drinkability isn't bad, but that's really only because it's light, it doesn't taste that great or anything. Overall this is pretty much what I expected from this beer, I'm a little surprised with the appearance and the mouthfeel, they were really solid, but other than those two redeeming factors it's a pretty below average hefeweizen. It's better than I remembering it being, but only by a very very small margin. As harsh words as they are, I would pretty much stick with my first review assessment, worst hefeweizen I've ever had.

MaltsOfGlory, Jun 02, 2011
3.23/5  rDev +4.2%

A - Clear golden in color with foam that just turned to no lace ring and no head WTF?

S - Smells of light breads, malts, and wheat. Maybe hops but WTF

T - Pretty smooth enough kind of like a Hefe without banana or clove just wheat and water.

M - Light

Overall as an average brew it's not bad just not as flavorful as their apricot beer.

DrDemento456, May 29, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pyramid Haywire Hefeweizen
On tap at Fox Grill, Seattle, WA

Appearance: dark orange, medium-small head, and good lacing.

Smell: wheat.

Taste: bready grain and wheat.

Mouthfeel: light and smooth.

Overall:
This is a decent brew. It is bready and smooth. It is a tad on the watery side, but is also full flavored.

megahurts4, May 27, 2011

Disappointing twist-off bottle cap. Haven't had one of those in a while. Comes out a hazy and bubbly pale yellow-orange with not much head. Smells weakly of grapes at firstfollowed by some wheat, but not incredibly so.

Taste doesn't scream wheat beer to me, it just kind of states it. There are some mild hops in there and some malts that actually remind me of a lager maybe. Really I think my biggest gripe with this beer is that all of the flavors seem to be in the background, but nothing wants to take control of the flavor profile. Leaves a not-so-good aftertaste too. Watery but carbonated mouthfeel that leaves much to be desired. All-in-all, it's a pretty underwhelming beer.

chodinheaven, May 15, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a standard pint glass. The beer had a hazy golden appearance with a finger and a half head that dissipated quickly. A quite citrusy smell was accompanied by a faint smell of wheat and yeast. When drinking it you notice the same citrus flavor, a lot of orange flavor, along with the wheat. This beer had a very light and crisp mouthfeel and was a pretty easy drinker.

My wife loved this beer. She's normally a Bud Light Lime or Miller Chill drinker. I'd much rather spend my money here rather than BMC.

gonzogrover, May 10, 2011
2.55/5  rDev -17.7%

Tasted April 27th 2011 (from notes)

Poured into a New Belgium snifter

A - cloudy golden straw. Half finger white head, no lacing

S - wheat, oranges, yeast, grass, barley, lemon and limes. Some light cane sugar notes. The citrus hop notes are there as well

T - citrus, a bit of hops, yeast, wheat and a touch of grass. The fruits really stick out

M - light, carbonated, medium acidity and a short to medium finish

D - goes down like wheated water. Nice for a hefe, just not much going on. Same ol same

Final thought - if you are a lady that doesn't really like beer or a crazed hefe fan, this one is for you

whatthehull, May 03, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured from a tap at a minor league baseball game into a 16oz clear plastic cup. Poured with a thick white head that kept its shape throughout. Color was cloudy gold.

The smell was fruity with mildly phenolic tones. The taste was also fruity and slightly phenolic, but also very yeasty and bready, and reminded me of the smell of my closet where I ferment homebrew.

Mouthfeel was creamy and well carbonated.

In a ballgame world of BMC, this was a welcome alternative to have available.

hiku7, Apr 24, 2011
3.15/5  rDev +1.6%

Enjoyed this one at the airport in Palm Springs... So much so we almost missed our flight!

A - Pours a pale straw colour, finger of soapy head with some retention and sporadic lacing.

S - Rather mild, but the wheat and lemon citrus come through. Also detecting a slight caramel scent on it as well.

T - Pretty mild on the flavours as well, comes bitter off the top with the lemon citrus dominating. The bready wheat flavours linger amongst a sour lemon flavour on the tongue.

M - Medium bodied ale that went down smooth and finished with a touch of dryness.

O - Overall it was tasty in the heat, but the flavours were rather mild and unadventurous. I would never turn one down, but it certainly didn't leave a lasting impression.

andrenaline, Apr 11, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +13.9%

I know this isnt considered a "craft beer" but it is a solid American Hefe.

Pours a nice golden hazy color. Nice white head. Could have a little more lacing.

Aroma is pretty much just wheaty.

Taste is solid. Perfect for watchin some baseball and kickin a few back in a row. Nice and wheaty. No lemon or orange for me though.

Mouthfeel is smooth and refreshing.

Overall a better than average hefe. not alot of craft breweries make a good enough American Hefe and this is available everywhere so this is what I grab when I'm in the mood.

PeprSprYoFace, Mar 31, 2011
3.35/5  rDev +8.1%

The body looked golden yellow and became cloudy after stirring up and pouring in the yeast. The head was small at first, and disappeared shortly after the pour. The smell was bubblegum, and lemon, with bit of hay. The taste was very lemony, almost approaching lambic sourness. There wasn't much else here though. No clove nor banana could be detected in the taste. The thin body and low ABV were typical for the style, and made for an overall thirst quenching beer. Not a hefeweizen despite containing both yeast and wheat.

rajendra82, Mar 17, 2011

[Best served in a Weizen Glass]

Poured a clear sparkling medium orange with a small white fizzy head that quickly dissipated and produced no lacing to speak of.

The aroma was of moderately heavy of a grain malt with a large does of a somewhat sweet doughy yeast with a notable note of citrus (lemon I believe).

It tasted lightly sweet and quite yeasty at first and finished with a sweet-wheat flavor that had a light citrus note at the end with the flavor only lasting a very short time.

Mouthfeel was very light in body and slightly watery in texture with a mild carbonation.

Overall a refreshingly tasty brew that was nice and light in body and had a nice light citrus flavor.

KajII, Mar 09, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -27.4%

Is this a hefe? Should they call it a wheat because thats what it is. No presence of banana or other fruits. Where is the flavor? Where is the yeast? Its easy to drink and has a citrus feel. A summer beer available everywhere. Had a pint at the brewery. They call it a standard but what standard do they mean? Not european. Anyway its easy to drink and cheap.

timmos1, Mar 01, 2011
3.2/5  rDev +3.2%

A. Poured a thick opaque straw with a short diminishing white frothy head. Decent lacing on the glass.

S. Citrus, grass, earthy

T. Slightly acidic, tart citrus and sweet malts, slight hint of corriandernot an overabundance of flavor.

M. Medium bodied heavy carbonation short duration.

D. Ok at best I did not really think this is an outstanding brew.

smibroncos, Feb 27, 2011

Slightly off white head sits atop a cloudy orange golden color beer. Aroma of clove, citrus and wheat, all mild. An almost spicy sweetness up front with mild honey, banana and wheat. Makes me think of summer. Lightly carbonated and thicker bodied than I anticipated. Smooth throughout and enjoyable. Nice maltiness to it with a pleasant amount of hops to match. Warms well.

CuriousMonk, Feb 04, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured From A TWIST OFF!?!?!

A - Yellow

S - Lemon, Wheat, Yeast, Coriander?

T - Citrus and Wheat

M - Average wheat taste with medium-low carbonation

D - Easily kill a six-pack

Pyramid has been on and off for me. I expected the Thunderhead and Haywire to be outstanding while the Apricot and Snow Cap would be iffy. Turns out I was wrong. Theres nothing bad about this beer, in fact, theres nothing wrong about all Hefe Weizen aside from the overrated reviews that your "Bros" tell you. This beer is great with a lemon on a summer day or out at a restaurant but if your looking for a nice craft brew I wouldn't so much say "Look Elsewhere!!!" but perhaps "I'd Recommend Something Else." Like I said try their other stuff.

NickRivers, Jan 25, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -19.4%

A friend recently had a beer tasting for their beer geek husband and simply bought everything under the sun without consulting us (his friends). Most things were good but this was on of the first offerings of the evening... That said...

A golden, hazy transparent brew with plenty of sediment. Yeah, I know it's a hefeweizen, but does it have to look like the piss of a liver failure patient? Fortunately the smell was a bit better with some fruity esters and a definite lager yeast aroma; Almost discernible banana in there as well along with doughy bread.

The brew, all in all, just tastes like a macro lager with very light carbonation. If you're at the liquor store you'd be better off taking the orders of an Imperial Storm Trooper. "Move along. Move along."

seedsofchaos, Jan 12, 2011
2.55/5  rDev -17.7%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into tall glass.

Appearance: Cloudy pineapple juice semi-saved by a thin white head.

Smell: Wheat, very light citrus and pepper.

Taste: Almost a nice dry wheat profile but tarnished by a strangely sweet undercurrent. Some very light citrus and pepper, same as the aroma.

Feel: High carbonation, light body, almost a nice dry finish.

Drinkability: Just a weak wheat beer.

bsp77, Jan 08, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -4.8%

I'm gonna start off by saying that Hefs are not one of my favorite beers. Pours a cloudy golden orange color with a medium white head. Scent is strong wheat with yeast and light citrus. Taste is initially lemon, followed by orange and wheaty yeast. Not my favorite taste. Mouthfeel is kinda dry but sticky at the same time...not great. Drinkability is not very good since I don't care for hefs.

DovaliHops, Dec 27, 2010
3.1/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a wheat glass. Poured very aggressive but didn't get any hear whatsoever? pours almost like the color of apple cider, and is slightly cloudy. The smell is very lemony. with a hint of orange and sweet malts. a little coriander in there as well. has a little bit of a lemon peel taste. Not to impressed with the overall taste. Overall not that impressed with this beer. nothing about it is really that attention getting/

IIKaRuII, Dec 25, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly hazed golden yellow color with a thick white head and a little lacing. Smells of wheat and sweetness and plenty of citrus and hints of spice.Tastes of wheat, orange and lemon, maybe some grapefruit, and plenty of sweet malts with some hints of coriander and other spices. Drinkability is pretty decent.

TheKingofWichita, Dec 01, 2010
2.35/5  rDev -24.2%

I was at a local pub and wanted to try something new. I'm a fan of Traditional and American style Hefs. I saw the Haywire and noticed it was a Hef. So, I decided to try it. When the bartender brought it, I noticed a nice gold color and a nice cloudy appearance. But that was the only highlight for me. The beer had very little head. After a few sips, the head was completely gone. It had a faint citrus scent. The flavor was very one note: there some citrus flavor, but not much else.

While I walked away very underwhelmed by this beer, I will be quick to point out that if someone offered this to me for free, I would not refuse.

PDX2LA, Nov 07, 2010
Pyramid Hefeweizen from Pyramid Breweries, Inc.