Pyramid Hefeweizen - Pyramid Breweries, Inc.

Pyramid Hefeweizen
No picture uploaded.

Pyramid Breweries, Inc. visit their website
Washington, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-16-2001)
2.78/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours a dull orange, opaque with suspended yeast. The two-finger head is dense and creamy, shows impressive retention but scarce lacing. Aroma of citrus and some mild fruity ester notes. Wheat and a whiff of yeast become clear as it warms, but nothing special really.The taste is swet and tart upfront, esters and fresh orange peel. This is followed by wheat and a solid barley malt backbone. Tart belgian phenols in the aftertaste; mildy dry. the balance is upset by all the ester/citrus sweetness- with nothing to even the flavo rout. The carbonation is flat, and when paired with a thinnish body is rather boring and uncharacterstic of the style. Somewhat smooth, but overly tart and sweet. Would score better as a witbier but still not above average.

PBRstreetgang, Mar 07, 2006
2.2/5  rDev -29%

If there is one thing I can't stand in a hefeweizen its over lemon flavor. This taste like a beer that has already had a lemon wedge squeezed in and the rine dropped to the bottom. Very sour from start to finish this hefeweizen is weak in wheat flavor. No hops or any other complex flavors noticable because of the overpowering citrus taste. I'm sure this beer suits people that enjoy thier hefeweizen with a wedge of lemon and would be a great beer if that lemon is not easily available. Overall there are much better wheat beers out there.

1759dallas, Feb 26, 2006
3.08/5  rDev -0.6%

Pyramid likes to promote its "medal-winning Hefeweizen," so you'd think there were something to validate all the fuss...

In reality, Pyramid Hef is disappointingly low in character, albeit largely unoffensive. The flavor is fairly light, chased by a mild bitterness. By virtue of its being bottle-conditioned, this Hef features soft carbonation, although I'm not quite sure of the point of leaving the yeast in a Hefeweizen when you're not using the authentic German variety.

When you think of Hefeweizen, you think banana, cloves, the whole shebang. Instead Pyramid opted to go for a light American wheat that is fairly refreshing, but not very thrilling.

VoodooBrew, Feb 06, 2006
1.27/5  rDev -59%

Something is seriously wrong here.

This looks like no other hefeweizen I've ever seen. It is very dark - an amber/reddish hue. Unlike the other reviews, mine is not very murky. I can see right through it, and there's nothing floating in it. The head is tiny even with an aggressive pour, leaves no lacing, and quickly dies without a trace.

This beer stinks. Literally. Smells of funk & sourness. Yeasty. Uninviting.

Taste is sour, in a bad way (not like a lambic). Very watery and bites at your tongue. None of the usual pleasant refreshing qualities of a hefeweizen.

This is the worst hefeweizen I have ever had. I poured it out & opened a second bottle, just to make sure, and it was the same story. I hope something was wrong with the six pack I got, or that it was outdated (the date code was unreadable). Otherwise, I dont see how Pyramid could possibly think it was a good idea to make & market this beer.

chOAKbarrell, Jan 23, 2006
3.1/5  rDev 0%

Poured from the bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a hazy gold coloration. Thin off honey colored head that quickly settles into a ring of foam. No lacing left behind on the glass.

Smell: Lemon citrus hits the nose immediately. Then the beer goes kind of bready giving way to spicyness.

Taste: The beer starts with a malty breadyness that turns slightly spicy citrus.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beer is thin to light bodied. The taste could have used a bit more hops. A very good effort overall. This beer will make great lawn mower beer this summer.

nlmartin, Jan 19, 2006
3.03/5  rDev -2.3%

I picked up a couple of American Hefeweizens to taste and compare. I poured this one in to a pint tumbler. Swirled the last inch or so of beer in the bottle to loosen sediments in the bottom.

The beer is a cloudy gold color. Pours with a creamy white head composed of small bubbles. The head is gone quickly, but can be rejuvenated by gently swirling the glass. Produces moderate lacing on the side of the glass.

The beer smells sweet and a little fruity. The yeast smell is also detectable.

The beer tastes hoppy, tart, and a little like citrus. It is good tasting beer.

Mouth feel is light, thin and crisp. It has a very pleasant refreshing taste.

This is a very drinkable beer, but probably average for an American hefe. Personally I think there are other hefeweizens that are as good if not better. I would certainly drink Pyramid, but I’m not sure I’d choose it over any others.

NOTE: The bottle says the brewing comany is based in Portland, Oregon not Seattle as indicated on the web site.

RJLarse, Jan 16, 2006
2.95/5  rDev -4.8%

When I poured this beer there was very little head and it dissapated within a minute or two after pouring. the boday of the beer was extreamly cloudy and murky, I could see bits wheat and other parts of the beer. The Smell was ok, but nothing like a real Weizen beer, not as fregnant or pretty. I was surprised that I sort of enjoyed the taste because I thought it was going to be sour, but it was close to that of a traditional Weizen beer but yet it was still far off. I could drink these from time to time, but I would never go and buy a case and have it on hand at all times. I would reccomend to try it at least once.

eze153, Jan 15, 2006
3.18/5  rDev +2.6%

This beer pours an orange honey color with a thin white head. It is exceptionally murky, even for a hefe. Smells of corn, oranges, and dry yeast with a little bubblegum sweetness. Tastes exceptionally sour with a light foundation of corn and wheat and a slight citrus sweetness. I can clearly identify it as a hefe, but it’s a bit off the mark. Mouth feel is medium bodied with a medium small bubbled carbonation. This is an all right brew, but there are better examples on the market. Feel free to pass this one up.

DarkerTheBetter, Jan 04, 2006
3.28/5  rDev +5.8%

Appearance - Yellowish brown. It's unfiltered so you can't see through it, even in the light. It forms a nice head when poured.

Smell - Sweet smelling. It smells better out of the tap. Out of the bottle it almost smells like pee.

Taste - Sweet and slightly bitter. Again, it tastes better out of the tap than it does out of the bottle.

Mouthfeel - This is too fizzy and over-carbonated. It is also too thin for my tatses.

Drinkability - Out of the bottle this is not too drinkable. It is much better out of the tap. Personally, I think that Widmer Brothers makes a better american hefeweizen.

atomicbwax, Dec 31, 2005
3.7/5  rDev +19.4%

I know Pyramid is in Seattle, but my 650ml bottle says it was brewed in Portland, OR.

This LOOKS like a hefer: orange hue, cloudy with a foamy head. But it doesn't smell like a hefe. Hints of citrus, coriander and wheat to it, but mostly a standard ale smell of hops and malts. The taste is a bit of an improvement, but the maltiness and hop essence still threaten to overpower the traditional hefe flavour. This is by no means a bad taste, but this beer comes off as a hefe weizen llite.

Regardless, this is a thirst quenching, thoroughly enjoyable beer.

BDTyre, Dec 30, 2005
2.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Light/medium bodied, very hazy light orange color with a modest white head that doesn't hang around.

Aroma is yeast, musty wheat with just a hint of cloves.

Taste starts out slightly malty sweet but switches to sour immediately with a somewhat bitter finish. No real fruity, banana or cloves taste like most hefe-weizens, a definite carbonation flavor with a touch of alcohol.

Drinkable, preferably in hot weather, but not really a "Hefe-Weizen".

whynot44, Nov 24, 2005
3.38/5  rDev +9%

Pours a very murky yellow color. Nice tight white head at first. Low aroma-some banana and phenolics going on but not a lot. Flavor is somewhat subdued for hefe-like most US versions are. Not a lot of banana and hefe characteristics. Somewhat crisp and dry in the finish. OK mouthfeel. Overall a pretty standard US version of a hefe. Not being a a real big hefe fan this is more my speed. Might be a decent enough intro to this style for some.

lackenhauser, Nov 09, 2005
3.1/5  rDev 0%

Pours a murky dark straw, reminiscent of unprocessed apple juice, which I like. The head is thin when poured softly and doesn’t stay long. That’s about all that it has to offer looks wise.

Smells mainly of a light banana. It was just much softer than others I’ve had. Too soft, in my opinion. Not great.

Taste also mainly a light banana taste, with a grainy malt in the background. A little hops too, with some citrus and hop bitterness in the background. Not bad tasting at all, just really light on everything. Mouthfeel was a bit thick and bubbly. Not bad.

A very average Hefe Weizen. Definitely drinkable. But given the choice, a Franziskaner or Paulaner would be in my fridge instead in a second.

UberWasser, Oct 21, 2005
1.9/5  rDev -38.7%

Poured a cloudy yellow, nice carbonation, with a small head. No lacing basically. Scents of malt, citrus. This is not a hefe at all, more like a lager, kinda bitter as well. Medium body. I would never buy or recommend this brew to anyone, tottally bogus stuff.

Wasatch, Oct 08, 2005
2.45/5  rDev -21%

I bought this beer on my Arizona trip and well, It does have a neat label. It poured like a normal looking light ale, except for a slightly larger than normal head. I could smell the yeast and that was unfortunate. I the malt was okay, and so was the hops, but I couldn't get around the off flavor of the yeast. This is a shame because it was the first hefeweizen I've tasted and it was definitely not...good. I hate saying that about beer but sometimes it needs to be said. I now know that hefeweizen can be excellant and the yeast usually adds to the flavor. I just think that some brewerys aren't prepared to deal with extra flavor component that this type of yeast provides.Hopefully the first and last beer that I recommend NOT buying. I'll get this again the next time I go to Arizona in hopes that they reformulated it or something.

LordChesterfield, Oct 08, 2005
1.78/5  rDev -42.6%

This was honestly not that good of a beer. I had had a pint or two of Guinness, and was offered to try one of those.

A - This is the best part about it. Looks almost like an uncarbonated orange soda, good and bad in some respects. Decent head, and minimal lacing.

S - Very citrus-like and a lot of vanilla also.

T - This is where it really went downhill for me. It tasted like a lager, but mixed with a rotten orange.

M - Horrible aftertaste. I had to crack open another can of Guinness to get the awful taste out of my mouth. Can't drink more than one just on that factor.

D - As I stated in the mouthfeel, you can't be drinking this stuff all night and really enjoy it. I would take a natty over it anyday.

After drinking this, I went back, got a Guinness and drank that like no other. Never again will I drink this, even if it's free.

GuinnessHero, Oct 04, 2005
3.18/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden color with a white head with somewhat larger bubbles than I expected; some lacing

Smell: A little vanilla and some citrus; not much banana or bubblegum

Taste: Vanilla and slightly nutty; a bit peppery with a with a smooth finish; somewhat unpleasant phenolic aftertaste, however

Mouthfeel: Light and creamy bodied; pretty decent carbonation

Drinkability: Pleasant enough, but somewhat dumbed down from other hefes I have tasted; much nicer out of the bottle than the sample I had on tap recently

brentk56, Sep 21, 2005
3.45/5  rDev +11.3%

I think this is just as good of a session beer as they come. it may not me the most memorable hefe, but it's affordable, very easy to down, plus it's one of the few my wife enjoys as well. Better than Blue Moon or another popular wheat beer, this one's not bad at all. Nice citrus smell and taste, lively yeast, and quenching, a great summer beer.

Backer2004, Sep 13, 2005
2.95/5  rDev -4.8%

This one pours light orange-ish tan with a reasonable off-white head. The smell is fairly non-distinct yeasty/bready, with a touch of what I presume to be hops. The taste is ok, pretty light in flavor, mostly yeasty, with a straw-like middle and a strange orangey bitterness at the finish. The yeast lacks the typical banana quality that most hefes have, so it loses style points there. The mouthfeel is a touch heavy for such a light flavor, clearly unfiltered... which should not be a bad thing, but somehow seems off balance with the low flavor factor. Drinkable, better than nothing, but not recomended.

zjungleist, Aug 31, 2005

Appearance: Yellow color with a slight haze to it. A white head that dissapates quickly. There is however lacing that stays to make things interesting.

Smell: A slightly sour smell that I seem to associate with wheat brews. Fairly clen aroma. Could be better.

Taste: Very sweet. There is a nice sweet flavor but the hops really do a nice job coming in for the rescue of an overly sweet beer.

Mouthfeel: A nice mouthfeel with good carbonation. It is light yet full of body.

Drinkability: A very drinkable brew. Light flavorful.

Ellbert, Aug 18, 2005
2.7/5  rDev -12.9%

Uniformly cloudy amberish-orange color, slightly luminous with a dark yellow cast, head is moist and bright and compact, with average duration. Scnat aroma, a bit of medium fruity orange that almost indicates hops, not much yeasty character. Mouthfeel and carbonation are about dead-on middle-of-the-road per style. The flavor doesn't seem to rise to that standard, lacks estery qualities in most of the classic iterations, grainy and slightly mellon tasting with a strange and too bitter tang to the back. Not a very well-done Hefe to my thinking, doesn't look as good as Widmer, perhaps has more flavor though not ones you look for in this style.

ADR, Aug 10, 2005
2.73/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured a light straw colored, not as dark yellow as some other hefs I've had. Smell is of wheat with a little bit of yeast in there as well. Mouthfeel is the one thing that impressed me with this beer, had a decent bite to it even though I didn't see much carbonation or head when poured. I guess I expected it to be very flat. Nothing too special about the taste on this one really, however it went down very easily. If I had my choice between this and the other top Pacific NW Hefe (Widmer), I'd have to for sure go with the Widmer. However this beer would do in a pinch.

loren01, Aug 08, 2005
3.4/5  rDev +9.7%

This was an award-winner in 2004, so I had higher expectations.

In my opinion, it needs a little more Hefe! (it wasn't very cloudy).

It was quite drinkable, with that Pacific Northwest Cascade flavour & aroma, which paired well with the wheat.

For the general market, it's very drinkable.

For the beer-geek, it falls short of spectacular.

Derek, Aug 04, 2005
2.83/5  rDev -8.7%

All the sudden this has appeared in every direction I look, weird. Good haze in the orange pour with a fluffy white head that lingered perhaps a bit too long, laced thouroughly. The nose was very bread-wheat and not much else, not quite a spicey smell. Taste was about the same except a bit lighter. Not bad but not memorable although the feel was decent and chewy.

packetknife, Aug 02, 2005
4.08/5  rDev +31.6%

Appearance: cloudy orangish color. Thick lacing throughout.

Smell: typical hefe-yeast smells.

Taste: solid, fruity hefe esters.

Mouthfeel: great carbonation levels; smooth.

Drinkability: nothing earth-shattering, but I found this to be very good.

Unlike some of the other Pyramids I've had, quality control issues not apparant.

GeoffFromSJ, Aug 01, 2005
Pyramid Hefeweizen from Pyramid Breweries, Inc.