Pyramid Hefeweizen - Pyramid Breweries, Inc.

Pyramid HefeweizenPyramid Hefeweizen

Pyramid Breweries, Inc. visit their website
Washington, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-16-2001)
2.65/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours a hazy gold color with minimul head, yeast will pour in at the end. Smell is of malts and hops with citrus tones. Taste is slightly cirtusy with blast of hops. Feels a little light and dense on the tounge. Not my favorite hef, a little different than most hefs out there, to bad it isn't anything above average.

Pours a slightly cloudy gold color, should be more cloudy.

Smells creamy and slightly malty.

Taste is creamy and slightly sour. This is slightly lemony with a caramel taste. No real hops in here.

Mouthfeel is OK.

This isn't really a Hefe. Ok as an American wheat I guess.

2.65/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours cloudy and cheesy yellow with a pristine, very airy head that vanishes quickly. Aroma is citrusy and vaguely bready. Not like any hefeweizen I've tried. Tastes like a dolled-up macro. The hops are barely discernable and there is little actual wheatiness to enjoy. Not hearty at all, thin in the mouth and very very carbonated. Drinkability is ceratainly acceptable. Eaten with spicy food it can be quite refreshing actually. However, lovers of great hefe (let alone great beer), will probably be somewhat disappointed.

2.6/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Arrived a murky medium golden colour with a slight fringe of foam around the outside...very slight lace.
Nose was slightly of yeast.
Body was full and the carbonation to view active.
Flecks of sediment floating throughout.
Taste was strong of citrus to start followed by minimal hops to try and even the playing field...but not effective. Citrus lacked continuity and finished poorly.

3.1/5  rDev -0.3%

A “Chill Hazed” orange color on the pour with a decent sized white head and nice covering lace to seal off the glass. Light hints of wheat in the nose, citrus fresh and lightly sweet with the start malt and sweet and the top middling. Finish nicely carbonated and a fair to middling hop presence with the appropriately dry lingering aftertaste. Nice beer, not a great beer, but drinkable in its own right.

2.08/5  rDev -33.1%

Appearance – Orange and thin in color with a foaming head that went down in seconds.

Smell – Light yeast aroma with a sour accompaniment and very musty.

Taste – The yeast all but disappears at the taste. There’s a maltish replacement that doesn’t belong and a hoppy NW balance that should be in a Pale Ale. The fruity sweetness is lost in the must and dust.

Mouthfeel – Light and sweet as it should be, but the carbonation is absent which is the deathnell for a Hefe Weizen.

Sinkability – Horrible attempt at the style. I haven’t found an American brewery yet that can pull it off. I’m not finishing this.

2.6/5  rDev -16.4%

Hazy, orange body witha large frothy white head. Almost smells like cereal malts and lactic acid. Weird. Some hoppy notes. Maybe a trace of cloves. Where are the esters and bananas? Taste reminds me of Michelob Hefe (not a good sign). Sweet carroty malts, followed by a crisp wheat bitter finish. A little adjuncty tasting. Not terrible though. Pass.

3.53/5  rDev +13.5%

they served this in your typical 12 oz. pint glass. It looked yellow and fizzy but had a sweet smell. The flavor was not bad a little thin for a hef. Its very easy to drink, have a couple on a cool day. not a great version but not bad. better than most american brewers with this style!!

2.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Medium gold color. Large foamy head. Aroma is malty and slightly floral. A medium bodied hefe-weizen. Mild flavored, smooth tasting wheat. In fact it's kind of bland. Not in the Macro sort of way, but just that it's not very flavorful. None of the banana and clove flavor going on here, but there is a kind of buttery taste to it. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is malty and slightly sweet.

3.98/5  rDev +28%

Hazy iced tea-colored with a thin head, my Hefeweizen was served with a lemon, and like the dumbass I am, I squeezed and plunked it right in. Oh well. It smelled of wheat and lemon (couldn't tell if that was completely from the wedge or if the beer itself had a touch of it). I liked this beer (I'm a sucker for hefes and whites), as it was light and refreshing, and as far from heavy as you could get. It was dominated by the damn lemon, so I'd like to try it again, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the nice wheat flavor paired with light carbonation and easy drinkability. A solid hefeweizen that I'll have again in the future.

2.2/5  rDev -29.3%

I originally reviewed this beer on 29 December 2001. I am writing this review from my notes.
Over the years, the quality of this Hefeweizen has really diminished. A few years back, this used to be a favorite, now it sucks. I would Not recommend this hefe to anyone. It completely lacked the crispness that one enjoys in a hefe.

2.5/5  rDev -19.6%

pours out a cloudy, dirty rust coloured hue with orangeish tints around the edges. firm foamy head and plenty of eye pleasing lace. it looks good...but it ends there. it lacks any large hefe characteristics....muted malt aroma...no big citrusy/banana/cloves smells. the flavor lacks any true wheat notes...in fact it lacks any flavor. it has a nice body and mouthfeel, and a hint of alcohol in the aftertaste. while my sample is a bit past its prime, i would assume that it would have more character than this. little smell, lacking in taste...but yet wet and a bit quenching. i haven't been this confused by a beer in quite awhile. it's certainly a poor rendition of a hefe, but not a "bad" beer in itself. i can safely assume that in future summers that i will not revisit this hefe for my wheat beer fix. but i could see where this might be a good brew to introduce entry level hefe drinkers to the wide world of weizens.

2.73/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Found this one on tap and found it a little weird considering I haven't seen it since last summer while living in California, it pours a cloudy orangish yellow opaque tone with a white vibrant in color but thin head doesn't leave much lace as many great hefeweizens do. Aromatics there are some of the cherished yeast effects here with light banana, clove, and citrus and a underlying sweetness making for a pleasant aroma. When it comes to the flavor however these flavors become dumbed down to me, finishes chalky, and I must say not impressed seems a little sour to me. Mouthfeel is not as spritzy as I was expecting and body looks full but feels thin going down not much texture here. Drinkability this is a mediocre representation and sort of an Americanized bastardized version of a hefe, just can't stand up to authentic German hefeweizens but overall not a bad beer it was refreshing in the summer heat.

3.43/5  rDev +10.3%

Fond memories of this beer. It was something my wife (girlfriend at the time) agreed upon when our friend would run to the store. This beer led me to a life of Ale loving, away from the lagery hordes.

Pours nicely into my pint, cloudy golden with an amber core. Surprisingly dark for a hefe. Clean sprits of foam on top. Somewhat musty malt smell, sublte hints of yeast. Taste is mild, more malty than wheaty. Somewhat stale malt flavor though, and a nice subtle hop finish. Somewhat overly carbonated so there's a real seltzer sensation in the mouth. Leaves a somewhat dry, almondy aftertaste. Not quite the beer I remember, but not bad.

I didn't learn about people drinking hefe's with lemon until recently. I still don't.

2.8/5  rDev -10%

Poured a mix of tan and orange colors but in fact quite brown - highly unattractive. Very cloudy, the head also didn’t stick around. Smelled of firm wheat: decent bodied and barely sweet, very yeasty, with occassional faint notes of apricot and lemon popping up. Taste was of a dirty wheat, a slightly roasted malt, and little bits of lemon. Pretty calm mouthfeel, as it slid easy without any natural carbonation action on the tongue. Not terribly good in all areas, pretty odd and deficient from the standard.

2.75/5  rDev -11.6%

Usually during this time of year, I enjoy any wheat beers I drink. This is one of the exceptions. Pours a hazy pale golden color. Citrusy aroma, not much else. Taste is very bland. Not much different than drinking a macro beer as far as the taste goes. The term light and refreshing can only get a beer so far. There are much better examples of the style out there.

2.42/5  rDev -22.2%

One thing I learned from drinking this beer (and other American hefe's); I prefer German brews.
The Pyramid poured an off-white foamy head which didn't stay very long. Head came back when agitated but sank back down to a thin ring around the glass. The beer was a murky orangish-brown.
Smell - not much. No real fruity banana or clove aroma that I love.
Taste was vague of citrus and spices, long on yeast, and a dose of bitterness at the end.
Mouthfeel was medium and rather grainy. Not much carbonation to liven things up.
This one just didn't take with me. I even checked the "best by..." date to make sure I didn't pick up one old enough to drive. Maybe it's better on-tap.....

3.23/5  rDev +3.9%

I noticed this Hefeweizen gets a bad review by most drinkers of this style. I do not like this style to begin with. But now that I have tried it, here goes.

This is a cloudy uninviting colored ale. It pours okay with a moderate to weak head.

This is where I differ. The flavor for me is not bad. It is not too sweet or too fruity. The main reason I have not enjoyed hefeweizens before. I won't be buying this beer on a regular basis(or at all unless the lady of the manor requests) but as for hefeweizens are concerned. Not bad as far as a hop head is concerned.

If you dig hefeweizens don't go for it. It may not be fruity enough. If you are on the edge give it a try. Not too fruity. Not too placid. Just my opinion.

1.83/5  rDev -41.2%

Brewed with 2-row Barley, Malted wheat, and Caramel malt. Hopped with Liberty.

OG=1.051, 5.2% ABV.

Quite cloudy, apricot in color, forming a very light beige head with good retention and lacing. Aroma is very faint with no bananas or cloves to speak of..just "Macro Tang"..AKA adjuncts. Taste is dull, starting with weak, lemony flavor hops, a boatload of adjuncts, a potent burn of alcohol. This is not a good beer, and a horrible Hefe-Weizen. Carbonation is mild, with a smooth mouthfeel and medium-thin body. The finish is watery, like drinking the pressings from a can of corn.

I agree with Stopper, this is the worst representation of the style I have ever tasted in any country. I saw Pyramid being sold all over the place on my trip throughout the West Coast. I thought that I may visit the brewery when I was out in Seattle...that was until I tasted this utter garbage. This beer sucks.

2.1/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle. I'm a big fan of Hefe-Weizen. But was sorely disappointed. Other than the appearance it is nothing like it is suppose to. Pours a cloudy golden color, with a fairly good head, that quickly receded. No real lacing on the glass. No real disernable aromas, just a blending of smells. taste was weak and bland. I could barly finish it.

3.03/5  rDev -2.6%

This wasn’t the greatest hefeweizen that I’ve had, but is wasn’t’ the worst. It pours a cloudy golden/straw yellow color. A fluffy white head presents itself pouring with good retention, leaving a sticky lace on the glass. Aromas of bananas, lemon zests, and clove were very noticeable. I detected a slight crisp tartness of citrus upon the first taste, followed by a subtle spiciness of cloves, finishing off with some yeasty bread undertones. This is a very average brew, I could take it or leave it.

1.65/5  rDev -46.9%

I recently managed to get complementary pint of this at a low-traffic airport lounge. I was disappointed that the glass I got was actually much smaller than a pint, but then realized I wasn't as disappointed about the size of the serving as I thought I would be...

I definitely love a good hefeweizen, especially after a couple trips to Germany, and this is the worst representation of the style I have ever tasted in any country.

It looked very authentic, a very cloudy white/yellow, and I was hoping for good things. As I approached it, I was surprised to find little identifiable aroma. Hoping to find what was missing in the nose waiting in the body, I dove in, and the best description I could decide on for the flavor I was tasting was "weak Heineken"! It had none of the distinctive spicey, clovey, banana-ey flavors normally expected from a good Hefeweizen, and it wasn't even very like an american wheat beer. This was the first brew I have tried from Pyramid, and I'm not excited to try another anytime soon. My only hope is that they didn't truly do such a poor job of brewing this beer, but that it was just poorly treated at the bar.

4.43/5  rDev +42.4%

Unfiltered dark golden with a nice off-white head. Grainy aroma dominates with light fruity notes. Grainy, fruity and yeasty flavor. Light-medium bodied and refreshing fruitiness for a wheat beer.

Very nicely balanced American Wheat ! Always seem to prefer the bottled version of this over the draft versions I have had ... not sure why.

Per Pyramid Website:
Original Gravity: 1.051
Alcohol By Volume: 5.20%
Malts: 2-Row Barley, Malted Wheat, Caramel
Hops: Liberty

Enjoy by: 06/19/03
Tasted: 05/31/03

($7.47 / 6-pack) ($1.25 / 12 oz.)

3.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Deep orange opaque color. Medium white head, wait, where did the head go?. Surprisingly high hops for a wheat, but all things considered not all that hoppy.

Lightly citrus but of a deep dark orange. This must have a relatively low amount of wheat, versus barley. This is a pleasant brew, but lacks excitement. The flavor do not stand out otherwise.

2.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Pyramid Hefe, the second name in American Hefeweizen. Beer pours a turgid orange. Beers is hazy and after the head falls flat there's a feeling that this is a dirty swampy beer.

The aroma is lightly hoppy and dominated by sweet wheat aroma. The flavor starts with a citrus sweetness that quickly grows into sharp lemony bite.

Overall a disappointing beer that can't quite get beyond the swampy appearance and generally lifeless flavor.

Pyramid Hefeweizen from Pyramid Breweries, Inc.