Thunderhead IPA - Pyramid Breweries, Inc.

Thunderhead IPAThunderhead IPA

Pyramid Breweries, Inc. visit their website
Washington, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 09-16-2001

A golden nectar with a striking floral aroma, Thunderhead holds a harmonious balance between its bold hop bitterness and subtle malt background.
3.7/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This beer has a fresh crisp mouthfeel, with a long lingering backtaste of fresh green tasting citrusy hops. It is pleasant on the front taste, and memorable on the backside of the draught. A nice inbetween ipa between your session beer and an imperial. Very drinkable, and requests that you sip, due to its long lasting aftertaste, and significant abc. This beer is right up there with Sierra Nevada Torpedo, slightly sweeter, and only a photo finish behind.

2.99/5  rDev -11.5%

Qualifies as an IPA, but struggles to keep up with the numerous excellent IPA's in the PNW. A dry bitter finish and starts well just just does not hold up well. A caramel malt perhaps. Don't give up Pyramid has some other better brews for sure, recently took a Seattle Road Dog Brewery tour and Pyramid was one of them.

2.5/5  rDev -26%

2.91/5  rDev -13.9%

This is my first review and will be improving upon them as I go on hopefully.

Drinking from the bottle as when I drink lately it's from a frosty pint glass (or similar) or a cold bottle. I do not enjoy a beer that is not 'cold' so will not be able to judge much on that.

The beer is in a slightly different labeling convention than shown on the profile - it has a number of pyramids with lightning behind them should that help with the date of release.

I am not smelling a very floral smell, although I do feel some citrus within, perhaps bitter even. Not sure how much you can get from a bottle, but I enjoy reading others critiques and will do so to help develop these reviews as well. I understand a bottle is not optimal by any means.
[Edit: In hindsight, when I was thinking 'floral' I was thinking 'sweet'. I now understand that 'floral' likely means similar to smelling a flower which I think this does have a correlation with.]

From a taste perspective I enjoy the bubbles and find this to be a 'live' been from that perspective. I'm finding a little too much steel for my taste although that is lessened from the first sip to the last.
[Edit: I believe the term I am after here is bitter, not steel]

I am not getting a huge sweetness from this which reminds me more of a pale I suppose. It also tastes like the tacos I just ate and that's not extremely helpful:)

It does seem to have a dry finish and a mouth pop suggests you should take another drink.

Overall, if I'm ranking this from an enjoyment standpint for a IPA @ 6.7%, this is very drinkable but I would call it a straightforward beer. It does not have the characteristics I want from drinking 2 beers, but may for drinking 4.

I welcome any feedback on how to do this better.

3.25/5  rDev -3.8%

Thunderhead IPA from Pyramid Breweries, Inc.