Thunderhead IPA - Pyramid Breweries, Inc.

Thunderhead IPAThunderhead IPA

Pyramid Breweries, Inc. visit their website
Washington, United States

A golden nectar with a striking floral aroma, Thunderhead holds a harmonious balance between its bold hop bitterness and subtle malt background.

(Beer added by: Jason on 09-16-2001)
2.99/5  rDev -11.5%

Qualifies as an IPA, but struggles to keep up with the numerous excellent IPA's in the PNW. A dry bitter finish and starts well just just does not hold up well. A caramel malt perhaps. Don't give up Pyramid has some other better brews for sure, recently took a Seattle Road Dog Brewery tour and Pyramid was one of them.

2.5/5  rDev -26%

2.88/5  rDev -14.8%

This is my first review and will be improving upon them as I go on hopefully.

Drinking from the bottle as when I drink lately it's from a frosty pint glass (or similar) or a cold bottle. I do not enjoy a beer that is not 'cold' so will not be able to judge much on that.

The beer is in a slightly different labeling convention than shown on the profile - it has a number of pyramids with lightning behind them should that help with the date of release.

I am not smelling a very floral smell, although I do feel some citrus within, perhaps bitter even. Not sure how much you can get from a bottle, but I enjoy reading others critiques and will do so to help develop these reviews as well. I understand a bottle is not optimal by any means.
[Edit: In hindsight, when I was thinking 'floral' I was thinking 'sweet'. I now understand that 'floral' likely means similar to smelling a flower which I think this does have a correlation with.]

From a taste perspective I enjoy the bubbles and find this to be a 'live' been from that perspective. I'm finding a little too much steel for my taste although that is lessened from the first sip to the last.
[Edit: I believe the term I am after here is bitter, not steel]

I am not getting a huge sweetness from this which reminds me more of a pale I suppose. It also tastes like the tacos I just ate and that's not extremely helpful:)

It does seem to have a dry finish and a mouth pop suggests you should take another drink.

Overall, if I'm ranking this from an enjoyment standpint for a IPA @ 6.7%, this is very drinkable but I would call it a straightforward beer. It does not have the characteristics I want from drinking 2 beers, but may for drinking 4.

I welcome any feedback on how to do this better.

3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

Thunderhead IPA from Pyramid Breweries, Inc.