Thunderhead IPA - Pyramid Breweries, Inc.

Thunderhead IPAThunderhead IPA

Pyramid Breweries, Inc. visit their website
Washington, United States

A golden nectar with a striking floral aroma, Thunderhead holds a harmonious balance between its bold hop bitterness and subtle malt background.

(Beer added by: Jason on 09-16-2001)
3.38/5  rDev 0%

Two inches of dense, cream-colored head. Nice. A clear, amber-peach-gold beer. Sticky spots and shapes of lacing. 100% pine in the nose. A little stinky. Stinky pine in the front, too. Almost a little burnt. Middle is sweet and a little oily. Finish is big, piney hops and some sweet fruit. Still stinky and a little cheesy. This is a solid beer in a league of giants.

3.58/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours an amber like color with a very thin head that dissapates very quickly..

The smell is very good, nice and citrusy, lots of hop smell to it.

The taste is good, but not great, nice hops, but there is a strong bitterness left on the tongue after each drink, aside from that, its nice and fruity with a slight malty sweetness, almost some honey like qualities.

The mouthfeel is strange, very strong aftertaste, and it is slightly thick feeling going down.

Overall not a bad beer, but not great by any means

3.9/5  rDev +15.4%

On sale for 5.99 a sixer, so I had the domestic partner pick up 2.
Quite impressed.
I don't know about the color, as I poured it into a red frozen glass.
Virtually no head, but I don't care as some of my homebrews don't give much head either.
Smelled good and tasted delicious, but nothing too special. It had a Sierra-Nevada type taste (cascade or chinook hops?) to it, but different enough to tell it didn't come from Chico.
A little on the lighter bodied side compared to my favourite brews, but still OK.

4 out of 5 swills.

3.85/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a nice golden dark yellow with hints of orange layers. The smell is strong on citrus hops and syrupy malts. The taste is an explosion of hops wich I like in an IPA, however the sweet malt is to rich and almost overpowers the hop in the end. Caramel and syrup tones are throughout and the citrus bitterness is only a front. A medium bodied IPA, not bad from a pyramid offering.

2.98/5  rDev -11.8%

12 oz bottle

Beer poured a little lighter than I am used to with an IPA, being light but cloudy, almost like a wheat beer.

Smell was typiciall citrus fruity with not much else.

Taste was sharply hoppy characteristics but very little else. An unbalanced beer in my opinion. A nice effort, but not all that noteworthy.

4.13/5  rDev +22.2%

12 oz. bottle

Pours golden/straw with large white head. Good retention on head, stays around almost until the end.

Smell is hoppy, citrus and the William and Mary campus in Williamsburg VA. I have no idea what that last smell really is, but I can only remember smelling it at W&M while visiting. It is a good smell though.

Taste is crisp and very hoppy, some grapefruit and pine. The hops in this one are great, just like they should be for this style.

Mouthfeel is good, carbonation is enough to really push the hops in your face and the body is just right for the taste.

I was really surprised by this beer, I have seen it on the shelf for years and never tried it. As a very affordable hop fix, I will buy this again and that is certain.

3.43/5  rDev +1.5%

<Edit 1/23/06: This is now called Thunderhead IPA. This made me think it was a new IPA from Pyramid, so I grabbed one. The label is now lime green with bolts of lightning striking the familiar Pyramid Pyramids.>

Bottle purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane for $1.09.

Poured a hazy orangey copper color with a big, fluffy white head. Lots of lace.

Smell was pretty much just citrusy hops. No malt whatsoever greeted my nose. It didn't bode well for the balance.

Taste was slightly better than the smell. There was a tiny maltiness skulking in the background. The hops are totally out of proportion here. It's not horrible tasting if you like hops, but it wouldn't hold much appeal to anyone who isn't a hardcore hophead.

This is a rather lightbodied ale. I think it could use a little bit of thickening up.

This could make a decent "lawnmower" beer, so long as the drinker is a fan of hoppiness. It's fairly cheap, and being Pyramid, it's easy to find, at least in my neck of the woods. Otherwise, there are plenty of better-balanced IPAs out there.

2.7/5  rDev -20.1%

This poured to a nice bright color with a good head, and it's leaving a nice lace in the form of thin rings without too many speckles. It looks pretty good.

Unfortunately, its looks seems to be its high point. The smell is overly hoppy but still has hints of cheap grains. The taste is similar. It's full of hops and not very well balanced.

It feels fine in the mouth but it's not something that I'm drawn to.

3.83/5  rDev +13.3%

My first IPA in over four months...damn did I enjoy it.

Color was copper orange with vibrant and lively hues topped with a thin and light white head. Aroma was heavy in citrus notes, primarily tart grapefruit. Citrus and floral notes show up in aroma as well as flavor. Taste is that of a firm IPA that is heavy in bitter flavors. They slightly overwhelm other typical IPA flavors but the I for one enjoyed the imbalance. Mouthfeel is slick and silky. Very enjoyable.

3.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A nice looking amber brew with an OK head that provides some light lacing. The nose is loaded with hops in the front, more malt as it warms. The flavor is light and flavorful grapefruit that is more of a sweet grapefruit than tart. Good feel from the medium body and decent drinkability from an otherwise high ABV beer. Very nice overall without being one of the greats.

4.15/5  rDev +22.8%

Beer ratings obviously depend on the personal preferences of the individual, and in fairness, I must identify myself as a hophead. That said, here are my comments.

Pours out of the bottle and into the glass to show a nice amber, with a small but resistant head.

What some might mistake for "skunk" is in fact the heavy hops scent. It carries over to the taste, which is all hops from beginning to end, with a light citrus flavor somewhere in between. Dry bitter finish, as one would expect with a highly hopped IPA.

For those who have tried them, this beer is what I'd expect if I mixed a Three Floyds Alpha King with Anderson Valley's IPA, Hop Otten'.

The alcohol content of just under 7% is hidden by the massive flavor. Not for the faint of heart, but a very good brew for hopheads.

3.43/5  rDev +1.5%

My bottle, from a friend's cellar, was date-stamped 3/99, so here's how well it has aged: Very flowery/estery smell when opened. Pours a slightly cloudy amber body, thin head but leaves a little lacing. Taste is actually closer to a thin barley wine; maltiness overwhelming the mellowed hop profile. Holds up well if stored carefully, but I wouldn't recommend keeping space for it if you have some Bigfoot.
I opened a second, equally old bottle and got more of a big hop aroma and taste. Alcohol still very noticeable, almost like a barelywine, and more of a citrus note as well. Take this as a cautionary on well a good beer keeps.

1.95/5  rDev -42.3%

Cloudy, hazy orange-copper color with a small off white head that doesn't last, no lacing either. Sweet piney-lysol, soapy aroma, over sweet malty flavor with some bitterness, way too sweet for me, taste like soap, medium yet syrupy mouthfeel, I don't like this one at all, I hope I got a bad bottle.

3.4/5  rDev +0.6%

This seems to be the typical IPA, although I have certainly tasted better. Simple flavors - Hoppy hopped with hops and more hops. Sort of a harsh hop flavor that makes one eye squint. But, a little of that is expected with this stye. I did try mixing this with Pyramid's Coastline for a pretty good brew.

3.7/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured a hazy light orange color with a decent head. Some lacing. Plenty of carbonation. Strong hops presence in the nose with some grass, earthy herbal, pine smells mixed in. Couldn't detect any malt in the nose. Tasted like it smelled. Overwhelmingly hoppy, with some pine, grass, earthy presence. Some malt in the flavor, but not much. Really comes in quite weak. Not bad, but hops really dominate. Crisp in the mouth. A little high in carbonation really gives it a bite. Personally, I've had better I.P.A.'s, but if you're looking for a cheap alternative, this is a pretty good deal. Would drink again.

3.38/5  rDev 0%

Label said enjoy by 7/9/03...Sampled on 10/17/03.

Appearance: Hazy copper with a nice white head.

Aroma: Hoppy, spicy, and citrusy on the nose. Some malt backbone present.

Taste: Thick malt and hops that balance out the brew nicely.

Mouthfeel: Coating, but the hops give nice bitterness and balance.

Drinkability: Overall good, but wish I had a fresher bottle. Some loss of carbonation and the hops were starting to fade. Will try again.

Pours a coppery-orange with a creamy light-beige head that remains in a thin cap. Good lacing. Big grapefruit aroma, with pine oil, yeast, bubblegum, apricots. Flavor is hoppy (cedary) and fruity (orange, grapefruit) with a bitter backnote of high abv and hop astringency. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. Drinkability is somewhat hampered by the heavy abv "bite" and astringent dryness. A certain harshness to the aftertaste here detracts a little from an otherwise characterful American take on the IPA.

3.38/5  rDev 0%

The color of Burnt gold. It came to the table with no head but a slight collar.

I couldn't rouse much of a smell out of this one. Seemed to be a little too malty smelling to qualify as an IPA

The taste was decent. Seemed to be all hops and bitterness.

mouthfeel was average, but for as session beer, i could see putting a few of these down.

4.5/5  rDev +33.1%

This is an excellent IPA! It poured a nice, glowing orange color with a frothy, white head. The aromas are of ringwood yeast, and glorious hops. There is also some subtle malt tones in the aroma as well. The taste is hoppy, yet very well balanced, with a malty, yeasty finish. The mouthfeel is great, as is the drinkability. This stuff is the closest thing that I have found to Magic Hats' Blind faith...and since I cannot get that afforementioned brew in PA. This is a good replacement for me!

F

3.73/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appears a copper orange tone with a beautiful mountainous cream hued head and even lacing to boot. I can honestly say after only trying the hefeweizen and apricot ale, I didn't have much faith in this brew. Aroma contains a barrage of lucious hopping that includes the pine cone, citrus, and earth toned varieties, and a decent malt backbone to add some sweet caramel tones to the mix. Flavor consists of an array of bittering hops only to be balanced by caramel malt but still enough hops to get my fix, and a bit more alcohol detected in the taste as it warms. This one could be more balanced but I was just greatful to be tasting some hops in this pretty boring beer climate I am living in. Mouthfeel has a good consistency medium body, I must admit I am impressed by this offering not bad. Drinkability I would like to run into this one on tap somewhere solid offering of hops if that's what you want give it a whirl, looking for more balance may want to try another IPA.

3.85/5  rDev +13.9%

Bottle purchased as part of a mixed sixer, poured into a pint glass. Short brown bottle with attractive green label.

Appearance: Looked like kind of a muddy brown as I poured it, but it settled into more of a straw color. A little more pale than a lot of the IPAs I've had, but then IPA's are supposed to be pale aren't they? If not we'd just call them IAs. Not much head or lacing, but I don't necessarily expect one from this style.

Smell: This is strange... the first time I sniffed it I thought I smelled hops and kitty litter. The computer is abut 5 feet from the litter box so I assumed that the cat had just been in there and I'd wait for the smell to dissipate and sniff again. I noticed that the cat was nowhere near the box. I tried 4 or 5 more sniffs, it was the same every time. This one smells to me like hops and slightly used kitty litter. Oddly it's not at all unpleasant. Slightly used kitty litter is unpleasant. Why it smells fine when mixed with hops I don't know, but I think I may start putting hops in Pixie's box. Do hops harm cats? I digress...

Taste: Hops dominate. Very slight malt taste on the front and a strong hop bite on the back. It taste like a very well executed, if unspectacular IPA. It doesn't stray much from the style which is both good and bad, but mostly good.

Mouthfeel: A little more carbonation than I'd expect, but otherwise just the right amount of chewiness.

Drinkability: I could down quite a few of these. Some of my favorite IPAs start to leave a hoppy taste in my mouth long after I stopped drinking, but this one has a clean finish.

Overall this is a very solid IPA. It compares nicely with standards like SNPA, though I'd probably choose the SNPA over this one. I'd have no hesitation to get some more of this one.

3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

This one's pretty mellow in the hops department considering it's an IPA. But I like that. The hops are still the dominant flavor but other flavors (sweet flavors) are also there. It's also stronger in alcohol taste than other IPA's I have tried. Very well carbonated and somewhat thick in body. A good mellow IPA.

4.1/5  rDev +21.3%

Semi-clear, golden-amber in color, served with a large off-white head, good retention… produced some webs of lace. The nose is hoppy with grapefruit rind and a touch of pine… there is little malt influence, its rather straightforward, potent, and inviting. Tasty palate, perfectly bitter, hoppy, slightly acidic, grapefruit rind, pine… a hint of distant caramel malt in the background. Its not balanced… one-dimensional… its all hops, full-throttle… this is not really a negative (I suppose)… lacks complexity… a few tweaks away from being outstanding. Medium-full body, moderate carbonation… dry leafy, piney finish… somewhat brisk but “more-ish” at the same time. Ideal abv. I was pleasantly surprised with this Pyramid product, I’d drink it again… try one.

3.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

An attractive, deeply golden-orange color with 3/4" of tight, off-white foam after a very aggressive pour. Some carbonation is visible, and the beer turns less hazy as the bubbles and the head fade away, which happens quite quickly. Typical IPA smell of bitter hops with not much else going on. Taste is similarly hopped up with a distinctly bitter grapefruit flavor. But as with the smell, the taste is monotone. I like bitter hoppiness, but it would be better if complemented by stronger malts or some spice. Mouthfeel is flat, which is what happens to this beer once the head fades away. This is one of Pyramid's better beers, but by no means a top-notch IPA.

3.38/5  rDev 0%

12 oz bottle. Poured a hazy orange color with very little head. Aroma is muted. I expected more hop aroma from a IPA. Slight citrus hidden in there. Taste is all hops, with just a faint hit of malt. Mouthfeel is good, and this is a well balanced beer. I've only found a few IPA's that I really enjoyed, and would have again. But not this one.

Thunderhead IPA from Pyramid Breweries, Inc.