Snow Cap - Pyramid Breweries, Inc.

Snow CapSnow Cap

good

good

Pyramid Breweries, Inc. visit their website
Washington, United States

Winter Warmer |  7.00% ABV

Deep mahogany in color, our full-bodied winter warmer is brewed in the spirit of British winter ales. Crafted with a flurry of roasted chocolate and caramel malts, and generously hopped, it delivers a smooth finish that makes this beer the perfect cold weather companion.

(Beer added by: Jason on 11-11-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Snow Cap Alström Bros

4.88/5  rDev +39%

Let's start with drinkability, shall we? If I didn't have another 11 hours to kill in this airport, well, hmm. Or, uh. Crap. This review sucks :) Let's see. I'd like to be awake until my flight leaves so I'm going to leave it at 2 pints. But, dang, this sh|t is good. Sure, sure, I used to say that Lobster was the stuff, the thang. Well, it is, in one context. And in this context... Dude... It's deep and dark in the color but holy bananas is this stuff good! Rich, thick, chewy, malty... Ridiculously well balanced with the micro quantity of chocolate, healthy caramel... Just a huge malty mouth and darned proud of it.

This stuff... This is like the Old Ale I make. And, golly, I like the Old Ale I make. And this stuff. I'd drink it every day and then some. And be happy to. And how. Oh yeah. And again and again and again.

Now... It tastes like it's in the 250+ calorie range so I guess... I'd have to add another 10 minutes to my lunch-time workout, then, wouldn't I? Oh! The trauma!

4.63/5  rDev +31.9%

Nice warm creamy head atop dark coppery tan pour quickly dissappates to a very small lacing. Aromas of brown sugar and carmel. Nice mouthful of tiny carbonation and comfortable alcohol warming going down.
Tastes of very light hops....nice malt...slight bitter chocolate.
Pleasant chocolate with brown sugar aftertaste. No bitterness.

Overall, pleasant warming holiday brew. Nicest thing from Pyramid.
Wish it was available year round. Even with the high alcohol content, I can drink these all night and love each and every one.
---
I've been enjoying these all year but now it is September. The last one I had was probably July and it was enjoyable. Tonight I opened the last one in the fridge and it was undrinkable for me. So just as a point of reference, 6 months maximum for cellaring IMHO.

4.6/5  rDev +31.1%

I was first intrigued by this beer for its ABV. But after taking my first sip I was hooked. It's combination of taste and yes potency go hand in hand. You can have a high ABV beer that tastes like motor oil or rubbing alcohol. Or you can drink this. A beer that tastes good and makes you feel better. I suggest this beer anytime you are at a Seattle Seahawks footbal game.(my first experience with it) There is nothing better than a Snow Cap in one hand and a basket full of garlic fries in your lap. The combination of the bitter sharp garlic mixed with the smooth taste of Snow Cap is a doable mixture.
In late Nov this beer really warms the stomach and makes any football game more enjoyable.

4.47/5  rDev +27.4%

This is a great beer; one of my favorite winter warmers so far

A- Dark brown opaque body with copper-red translucent edges. Decent head

S- Alcohol, roasted chocolate&caramel malts. Some raison/fig smells

T- The hops play a big role in the flavor of this beer. The bitterness balances the sweet roasted chocolate and caramel malt flavors and keep the beer very drinkable

M- Medium body and low carbonation

D- Easy to drink for such a high ABV%

4.43/5  rDev +26.2%

A very good beer. If this is what Winter / Seasonal beers are coming to, I like it. This is a nice change of pace from the normal, spicey and fruity winter-type brews I am used to trying. This brew has a very respectable head that lingers, but is quite light. The aroma has some hint of spice, but again, very subtle. This is a drinkable seasonal. Enough said. Prost!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz stubby to a pint glass, the liquid is dark and has good carbonation. The head is big thick and mocha brown, it leaves good lace.

The smell is dark and roasty with a hint of spice.

The taste follows, dark roasted malt, Hmmmm Hmmmm Good. Just a hint of spice flavor in the finish.

The mouthfeel is smooth and gentle, lots of body but not sticky or over carbonated, just about right.

The drinkability is just great this is a very nice brew. I'll be looking for it again. Prosit, MK

4.4/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Great beer! Highly recommend it

4.4/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Smooth and easy drinkin to the last drop.

Pouring this one was fun. About 3/4 through pouring the 12oz bottle into a pilsner glass a huge, fluffy head began to erupt from the bottom of the glass leaving about and inch and a half at the top of this deep copper/bronze brew. Other than the delayed head explosion, what caught my eye was how dark this one was; it looked almost black until held up to light. Pretty dark for a winter warmer, I think.

The smell after being poured was fairly mild and had a sweet and hoppy nature. Nothing special, but not bad.

Taste-wise, I love winter warmers and this was no exception; Snow Cap is delicious. The first sip started with chocolate and caramel and slowly evolved to mildly bitter hops and yeast. This beer has a great flavor. After a few more sips the roasted barley began to become more detecable in the intial chocolatey taste and the bitterness in the final hop flavor increased.

Pyramid's 2008 warmer has a nice balance of sweet, bitter, and warm and becomes especially creamy as it warms to room temperature. A very enjoyable drinking experience.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice little brown head. Very dark brew. Very warming. Dry, cedary finish. There's toffee and mellow caramel notes. Hints of mocha also. Very nicely balanced brew. Strong too. Has been a staple in my winter beer selection for about 5 years now.

4.38/5  rDev +24.8%

Full disclosure: One of my favorite beers of all times. It has been mighty unimpressive these past few years...waxy, attenuation out of whack, weak, thin, unbalanced. A massive disappointment for the past 4 years, in fact.

I am happy to report that Pyramid nailed it this time. Flavorful, balanced, headily foamed, just genius.

The roast comes through but does not dominate. Drinkable, well laced, carbed to perfection. Nutty, subdued malt, hops at the proper level. Just right.

I salute Pyramid for restoring this beer to its proper place. I was nearly ready to write it off but am glad I tried this version.

4.38/5  rDev +24.8%

Appearance is a dark rich amber with a thin head. Smell of light dark sweet roasted malts. taste is roasty sweet with dark sugar, spice, dark fruits and slight alchohol. Mouthfeel is a solid medium with good carbonation. What I would overall expect from a winter warmer, a good solid winter ale.

4.35/5  rDev +23.9%

2003 bottle
Beautiful dark burnt caramel color- almost the same color as the bottle! Light brown head that really did not linger around or come back to visit after I tried to swirl it back up.... just some tiny bubbles that ringed the edge. Mouthwateringly scented with portwine and sherry, bit of whiskey... sugery cakes and molasses. Nice..
Tastes of alcohol and burnt toast, malts... Decent amount of carbination in here. Foams up for you in your mouth when you give it a roll over the tongue. Nice tasting one.

4.35/5  rDev +23.9%

This bottles bears a 15th anniversary neck label and recommends drinking by 06/17/2002. Now its November. The label was bleached out from sitting in front of the flourescent lights in the cooler.

It exhibits a good, healthy, deep brown color. There is a sweet, coffee drenched nose with Doppelbock-like malt and spice aromas. Marshmallows and brown sugar appear.

On the palate it is actually pretty well attenuated. Could bottle age be responsible? No doubt there is a super-thick, creamy texture which carries slack flavors of coffee, charred hops, marischino cherries, cinnamon and tree bark.

A medium-length finish leaves a surge of bitter spice flavors that keeps the experience dry and focused.

4.33/5  rDev +23.4%

Dark brown with beige head.

Nice, rich nose. Showcases malts and hops.

Wonderful body. Plenty malty, but with ample hopping too. Its like mixing the Brooklyn Winter Ale with an IPA. Its a great combination. It is simultaneously hoppy, malty, spicy and rich.

Mouthfeel... Very full bodied beer. Really feels substantial yet smooth.

High drinkability despite the heavy body and somewhat high ABV.
I keep craving more. It is hoppy to the point of pleasing and teasing the palate, making you want another, but not assaulting or insulting your palate

4.3/5  rDev +22.5%

Received this beer from a friend in Oregon and it provided a wonderful drinking experience.

Slow-forming, medium tan head. Cola in color, with hints of winter spices in the nose...cloves and allspice maybe.

Great mouthfeel, probably due to the whisper of chocolate, good lacing. Slightly bitter in the finish before the warming of the 7% alcohol kicks in for the long lasting aftertaste.

I poured this out of a 22-ounce bottle. It's a great-looking, dark winter beer. Snow Cap would make a great beer to cook with or to enjoy with a nice hearty meal. Really a fantastic seasonal beer, really smooth.

4.3/5  rDev +22.5%

A- This beer pours very nicely. Dark amber or coppery in color with a thin white foamy head (fitting for the name Snow Cap).

S- I had a hard time getting a strong smell out of this one but I did get waffs of fresh baked goods or dough.

T- What a terrifically complex brew. Proof that all winter warmers aren't quite the same. Not a lot of winter spice flavors but plenty of unique flavors that change throughout. This started with a hoppy bitterness. By mid-glass, I started to pick up on some doughy, sort of fresh baked doughnuts or muffin notes. Odd, I know. There were also some hints of coffee with cream and caramel notes we well. As the beer warmed, I really started to pick up on notes of bitter-sweet, possibly even milk chocolate.

M- Creamy and smooth. Straight from a bottle poured into a pint glass, I may have been fooled into thinking this brew was on nitro if I had my eyes closed. Very impressive.

D- Not an everyday beer or something I'd session but I simply can't wait to have another. Very drinkable.

A true stand-out in a sea of typical winter warmers.

Snow Cap from Pyramid Breweries, Inc.