Pyramid Apricot Ale - Pyramid Breweries, Inc.

Pyramid Apricot AlePyramid Apricot Ale

Pyramid Breweries, Inc. visit their website
Washington, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: Brent on 08-13-2001

Originally named Apricot Weizen
Ratings: 1,044 | Reviews: 478
3.62/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I am drinking this beer during this review.

If you like Apricots, go for it! It tastes like them and smells like em too! Feel free to jump in. Both feet, no shorts or shirt.

I digress, it is a good Ale. Pros - Easy to drink, gets ya going a little, hint of apricots, well done.

Cons - I wish the taste of apricots was a little stronger. Just a light poke on my taste buds with apricot is not enough. I wish they had gone with a more powerful taste.

Overall, Worth it. Please enjoy one and think for yourself.

4.62/5  rDev +35.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I first had this beer when one of my nephews and I did a tasting of about 14 beers. It was the only one we both liked. I loved it and he said "this would be great on a hot day" (which, in NC, is common).

This beer looks beautiful. It's sudsy and peachy colored. In a sense, it doesn't look real. It looks like a high dollar TV ad that has been heavily doctored up.

The taste is great. It's as peachy as it is apricot...y(?). And, as my nephew suggested, it is exactly the type of beer you'd want to drink 12-15 of on a beautiful summer day after frolicking in the outdoors.

For some, it might get too peachy after a while. It also might be a little too carbonated for some (it feels a little like Mountain Dew, at times). It's really purely subjective if either is too much, or just right for you.

3.93/5  rDev +14.9%

On tap in Omaha, NE. Frosted mug. Hazy amber orange appearance. Head stayed for a little while. Smelled like apricots and sweet malt. Maybe a touch of seltzer. Went down exceptionally smooth. Mouthfeel was buttery and smooth, ended refreshing. Just the right amount of malt and sweetness. Almost everything was right here. Definite apricot. reminds me of apricot candy without being artificial or non-beer like. Great beer on tap!

3.99/5  rDev +16.7%

a. Cloudy yellow appearance with a finger of head. Lacing on glass. Cloudy.

s. Fresh apricot smell that is better than when poured from a bottle.

t. Again, this beer takes on a life of it's own when on tap. Fresh, outstanding apricot taste layered into the beer.

m. For a wheat, it has nice body. Although the head was small, the carbonation persisted.

o. This is an outstanding apricot. Having had several, I think this is the best of the bunch.

3.19/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Odor: Apricot and Pear.

Pour: Straw color, Small head, but thick lace. Unfiltered and noticed that the yeast had pooled at the bottom of the bottle. Beer seems to have had been on the shelf for a while as the yeast did not move. Might want to check your bottle before you buy

Taste: Heavy Apricot extract taste, maybe apples as well. No Hop flavor. Seems they have done this to make the fruit stand out more. Beer is very smooth, no bitterness whatsoever. Almost a buttery taste on finish.

This beer was decent for what it is. I almost feel like I'm drinking a wine cooler as they have removed any characteristics of an beer from this. You can taste beer but I would liken it to the most ultra-light beer you ever had. Not bad drink but I expected a beer.

3.16/5  rDev -7.6%

12oz bottle with no discernible freshness date. Sort of hazy yellow, lots of lacing but a filmy head. Aroma is mild apricots and wheat. Flavor is wheat and mold apricots, easy to drink but really falls short in comparison to Dry Dock's apricot ale. I'd take that beer over this one every day of the week.

3.47/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the Irish Pub, Lewisburg WV

A- Pours a hazy golden orange color with a small creamy white head that retains to a small layer, leaving some solid lacing

S- piney & herbal hops, light fruity esters with an emphasis on the apricot, sweet candy-like malt

T- fruity citrus and piny hops, strong sweet apricot flavor that seems a little bit artificial, a touch of toasted malt on the finish

M-medium body, low carbonation with a foamy mouthfeel, slightly sticky finish

O- pretty refreshing brew, the apricot can seem a little too sweet and artificial at times, but still quite drinkable

3.55/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle, with best by date 09/04/2013 printed on the label, so I'm a little bit late on this one, but I'm not scared. Acquired as part of a mixed six pack at the local beer store. My second beer from Pyramid. My bottle is a bit different than the one pictured and is named Pyramid Apricot Ale. I don't really know what to expect with this one.

Poured into The Godfather pint glass.

A - Pours a lightly hazed lemon-orange colored body with some spritzy carbonation and one finger of soapy white head that fades quickly. Lots of nice yeast sediment floating in the glass. Looks alright for what it is.

S - Smell is of fleshy apricots, grainy wheat, honeyed biscuit malt, mineral well water, and a hint of vinegary tartness.

T - Taste follows the nose: juicy apricot / peach, some syrupy sweetness, some acidic vinegary tartness, wheat grains, earthy bready yeast presence, and some mineral water.

M - Feel is crisp, tart, light, and refreshing. Light bodied with perfect carbonation.

Overall, I found this to be a surprisingly enjoyable offering from Pyramid. Zesty, light-bodied, and refreshing; I could definitely see myself enjoying some of this in the summertime. Definitely recommended for those who enjoy fruit beers.

Pyramid Apricot Ale ---3.5/5

4.18/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Last sampled back on 11/4/13 as I had this a few times in the past 2 years. Chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner glass.

Pours a hazy golden orange in color and really doesn't head a head at all. Some very light spotty lacing was seen but not much. Perfect carbonation. When first opened the aroma of fresh apricots hits your nose right up front with some wheat. Very nice! The taste was even better with just the right sweetness with good wheat to balance out the flavor. No bad aftertaste and goes down very easy. Available year around.

3.91/5  rDev +14.3%

I generally don't like fruit beers but this is an exception. This is simply good wheat beer that happens to have apricot in it. The apricot taste is light and not obtrusive or cloying. It blends well with the tartness of the wheat. Lightly hopped but no hop character evident. No head reterntion. A great summer beer with no beer snob appeal whatsoever.

That is what I said in 2002. Now for the standard review:

Pours to a thin white head that lingers as a ring around the tip of the liquid. No lacing. Aroma is apricots and clean American wheat ale. Flavor is of course fruity and slightly sweet but with a sharp bite of wheat to balance the sweet. No significant hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and slightly "juicy". Overall impression (see above).

2.6/5  rDev -24%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Past the BB date, but who cares, it's not an IPA.

A: Pours an apri-- I'm not going to say it. I'm just going to say it pours a golden orange color. There are a few specks of yeast sediment floating around in there, too. The head is a frothy-looking eggshell shade one fingers high. Retention is low and there's minimal - if any - lacing left on the glass.

S: Apricots aplenty. That's good and all, but the fact they seem a bit sweet and extract-y is a turnoff. Another turnoff: the dregs seem to have a cheesy aroma to it. 'Course, I still poured them in the glass anyways, because I'm a boss like that.

T: Sweet apricots start and finish this one off. Did I mention sweet? The only thing to break up the monotony is a touch of back end tartness. On the plus side, I don't pick up much cheesiness in the flavor, so that good. I guess.

M: High carbonation and an off-dry finish do an okay job of scrubbing away some of the palate sweetness. Still too sweet, but not as stupidly cloying as it could have been. Not particularly easy to drink.

O: Meh. How many different ways can you say 'chick beer'?

3.84/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Cloudy golden orange color with a fingers worth of head. Fair amount of runny lace.

Smell- Apricots with some wheat malt.

Taste- Sweet apricot flavor blended with wheat malt and a hint of peach at the finish.

Mouthfeel- On the light end of medium bodied with a slightly below average amount of carbonation. Mildly dry and crisp.

Overall- A delicious summer beer. My only complaint is the carbonation needs to be a little higher.

4.02/5  rDev +17.5%

This beer again ask the question, do you like fruit in your beer? If the answer is no, why would one drink this beer and especially review it. Also, you should probably refrain if you don't like apricots (this isn't rocket science). I like both and yes, I liked this beer. It's my son's favorite beer (I still like it anyway).

Appearance - orange/yellow a bit cloudy, like the skin of an apricot. It certainly looks like apricot ale!

Smell - Again, apricots and more apricots, but not a too sweet aroma. The smell is strong enough to denote the flavor but not too strong to bulldoze the senses.

Taste - Fairly sweet, but not overly so. This is not that saccharine, sickly taste. It is refreshing just like a fruity beer should taste, and yes the flavor of apricots is definitely there. This taste like apricots, real apricots, not artificial flavor. Important to note that the apricot does not completely overpower the ale. It still taste like apricot beer not a wine cooler.

Mouthfeel - Well, it has a heavier body, then most fruity beers. It only gives you a hint of the dryness your mouth feels after eating an apricot, or maybe that's my imagination.

Overall - This beer works if you like apricots, beer and are brave enough to think outside the box, that the two together might actually be flavorful. I say well done Pyramid. It makes me want to try your other offerings!

2.18/5  rDev -36.3%

Fiance's favorite of a fruit beer mixed-six. Trying some from the follow up six-pack.

Pours a thick, sparkly head with a body that looks like orange juice. Smell is strictly and accurately dried apricot, nothing less, nothing more (including anything resembling beer).

Tastes like apricot chapstick. Mouthfeel is weird and acerbic, hard to get past the chapstick though. Cannot recommend to any but the most diehard apricot fans.

3.61/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – Pours a hazed yellow orange color with a tiny fizzy white head. The head fades instantly leaving only the tracest level of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell- Huge apricot aroma in this one (as may be expected for an apricot ale). The apricot is rather pleasant and smells quite authentic. While dominating the smell, the apricot is joined by a light aroma of wheat as well.

Taste – The taste begins with a sweet apricot flavor straight up front with some hints of wheat mixed within. The wheat remains light throughout with the apricot growing even stronger and sweeter in flavor as the taste advances to the end. At the very end, a little bit of a peach flavor joins the taste as well, with the mix of apricot, peach and wheat leaving a sweet but smoother taste to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is average in terms of thickness and creaminess with a carbonation level that is rather low. A bit more carbonation may have suited the beer’s sweeter fruit flavors slightly better, but overall the feel was fine.

Overall – This is a brew big on apricot flavor with much less of else taking away from its center stage presence. Rather tasty and refreshing and a good go to if you feel like something apricot or fruity. Not bad.

3.09/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance: Poured cold 12 oz. bottle into ale glass. Dark gold color, hazy, unclear. Few bubbles, no head.

Smell: Malty aroma. Some hops in the background. Also apricot-like aroma -- evoked scenes of sunshine and ripening apricots in orchards -- that was nice.

Taste: Light ale-like flavor with apricots. Apricot flavor was just right -- not too strong. No complex flavors -- narrow.

Mouthfeel: Not a big change in taste -- nothing worth reporting.

Overall: Was a nice change from the usual beers that I drink. The apricot aroma was nice, so was the flavor. Not sure that I would go out of my way to buy or consume this one.

3.9/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I really like this beer. It does taste like apricot but it's not overly sweet. I like that isn't a hoppie beer. For me I don't care for a hoppie beer. My friends and I have had this beer with baked cod and steamed California mix veggies. We have also drank this with Mexican foods. For me it cleansed the palate well with foods. Tonight we had it with pecan crusted tilapia and asparagus very nice with both.

3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

A: The beer is rather hazy yellow in color and has a light to moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high off white head that died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of apricots are present in the nose along with some hints of peaches.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and also has additional notes of wheat.
M: It feels a little more than light-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This wasn't a bad beer because the apricot flavors seemed natural and not syrupy or artificial. I wouldn't mind trying this one again.

4.24/5  rDev +24%

I thought the pyramid on the box looked cool so I tried the beer!

I think most people seem to prefer bitter beers so they rated this beer down. I can't drink real bitter beer (like IPA) so I found this refreshing. This is a solid apricot beer, no complaints. It's not too fruity either, pretty balanced, with a medium-light body. Some reviewers felt the aftertaste wasn't good, I disagree I feel the aftertaste was fine. Just shows that taste isn't universal. Great for a spring/summer day.

3.76/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a pint glass with almost a finger of head on a hazy, orange colored body.
The aroma is almost all apricot; a fresh ripe apricot. Really nice.
The taste has banana and lemon with apricot taking the lead. Good balance for a fruit beer.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
For its style, I love it. Great on a warm, yard work day.

4.17/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

a- murky bubbly orangey glow
s- very much a light beer smell, but a definite smell of apricot
t- so darn tast, so crisp and bubbly, a strong and distinct apricot tast accompanied by a super friendly smack of wheaty taste
m- fairly carbonated but light and great
o- not the most flavorful wheat beer, but definitely one of the lightest smoothest and crispest.

I've had it on draft before and I'd probably a cold one on draft will get a half a point boost in every category.

3.73/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz : mason jar

Hazy golden with a thick, foamy white head.

Very nice sweet apricot aroma upfront with a nice malty, wheat backbone.

Taste follows the nose, with just a bit less apricot prominence.

Medium-full body with foamy carbonation.

A well done fruit beer, easy drinking and refreshing. I see this as a good fit for a warm summer day spent outside.

3.83/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a stubby 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy deep golden color (because I swirled the yeast from the bottom into the beer before opening) with a one finger off-white creamy foam head that didn't last long, but left a little sticky lacing.

Smell: A very sweet aroma of apricots, wheat and yeast. Not overly perfumed, but a pleasant apricot aroma with some what and malts in the mix.

Taste: Much like it smells...sweet, wheaty and a nice subtle apricot flavor. The flavors open up a bit as the beer warms, and it releases even more apricot and wheat flavors. A very subtle and pleasant fruit beer (and I'm not usually a fan of fruit beers).

Mouth feel: Creamy, slippery and crisp. Sweet and thirst quenching, without much dryness at all.

Overall: I am a fan of this fruit beer, and I usually don't like fruit beers. Although I love apricots, and this has a very natural apricot flavor. This is a nice change of pace from the average wheat beers out there, and a really great spring/summer refresher. Nicely done.

3.66/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bought a single from Binny's; chilled and poured into a standard pint glass.

A=Apricot colored, murky, with a modest head...inviting.

S=Apricot, with floral tones and sugar.

T=Apricot, naturally, with malt; rather sour...not quite as much apricot as I anticipated, and not as sweet as I thought it would be.

M=Light carbonation and medium body, but sour presence made it difficult to classify as a session beer.

O=Honesty, I was a bit disappointed, but enjoyed it...I would try again on tap, during the summer.

2.15/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

Pours a slightly off-orange color, very nearly the color of an apricot, ironically enough. Hazy, almost fully opaque, and topped with a wispy white head that doesn't stick around for very long. The smell is certainly not the best; a very artificial and forced apricot aroma makes its way to my nostrils and immediately I can tell this beer is probably not going to be great. The smell is very chalky, medicinal, and contrived. Oh boy. The beer finally hits my palate and you get this ever-so-slight taste of an almost tart apricot with some sweet, pale malty sugar, but before you have time to appreciate it - it's gone. Before long, your palate is engulfed with an artificial tasting mess. Medicinal flavors abound, metallic notes - yuck. That chalky, astringent aroma comes up full force in the flavor and makes the aftertaste almost unbearable. After taking a healthy sip, it tastes like you just got done chewing a Flintstone's vitamin. Musky, chalky, and not very sweet at all. Thin and watery mouth feel doesn't do much to help the cause, either.

Blech. I love apricots, but this beer is far from it. The aftertaste is very near the point of being downright nasty, and the beer really has no redeeming qualities. Stay away from this one.

Pyramid Apricot Ale from Pyramid Breweries, Inc.