Dixie - Dixie Brewing Co.

DixieDixie

poor

Dixie Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001)
3.03/5  rDev +8.6%

Golden straw in colour with almost no visible head on the beer other than a tiny, bubbly lacing that disappears fast.

Unusual on the nose but still very much like a pale lager overall. There is some light malts as well as a strong, sweet lager aroma coupled with some faint grassy hops and grain. I also got some light yeast and mild fruit aromas.

Quite fruity with a mild malt base to the beer along with a stronger grassy hop flavour. There is some grain but this is minimal. I also tasted a bit of corn.

Light on the palate and very fruity and sweet for a pale lager. There is medium carbonation and a sticky sweet finish and a light bitter aftertaste.

A strange smell from this one put me off the beer at first although once it settled for a few moments it was a better beer for it. Quite sweet-smelling and definitely a fruity lager but not a bad effort really.

1001 Beers Blog: http://abarwithnoname.wordpress.com

3.28/5  rDev +17.6%

Appearance: Poured a very golden color with a very prominent white head that dissipated rather quickly, but not too quickly. Appears to have heavy carbonation. Looks very fizzy.

Smell: The smell was average from what you'd expect from an American lager.

Taste: This was an extremely sweet beer. A little bit too sweet for my taste, but not really bad. Very unique in a way. I'm not sure, but I thought I detected a hint of honey.

Mouthfeel: This is one of the smoothest beers I've yet drank that actually retained some sense of flavor.

Overall: Overall, this isn't a horrible beer. I would say its a good session beer. I could drink this fairly easily throughout the night.

1.5/5  rDev -46.2%

3.8/5  rDev +36.2%

Appearance - Pours a semi-cloudy pale golden color with a VERY thin frothy head. Has very thin lacing also.

Smell - The first thing I notice is that is smells very close to a grape wine... Very sweet and fruity,

Taste - Very sweet and fruity, along with corn and is quite malty.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied with high carbonation.

Overall - This is a pretty good beer, but a little too sweet for my taste..

2.25/5  rDev -19.4%

1.5/5  rDev -46.2%

3.43/5  rDev +22.9%

Pours clear golden with a small white head that dissipates quickly. The aroma of lightly toasted barley malt is stronger than you would expect from this style, but there is also some detectable corn sweetness there as well. There are some hops in the smell. Sweet flavors come through from the malt. The sweet corn taste also comes through. There is some hop bitterness, but it's not very strong. The flavor is not as balanced as other adjunct lagers, but this is an interesting one. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied. There carbonation is plentiful. This is a crisp and refreshing beer. The lack of balance on the flavor does hurt it somewhat, but this is an interesting take on the adjunct lager. It's certainly a good, enjoyable beer for a hot summer day. If you like adjunct lagers, I recommend tihs one.

3.6/5  rDev +29%

A- This pours a chill hazed light golden color with lots of carbonation rising to the top. The head isn't exactly impressive, but is super white, soapy looking and fizzles out quickly. The lacing is better than I expected, but still nothing interesting....starts out with some suds sticking to the glass but then they disappear into a watery line.

S- This does smell better than the average macro, as there is more of a malt aroma, but still, there is a modest smell of corn adjunct to sweeten this up. There is also some aromas of biscuit/yeast, and just a hint of hop bitterness on the finish.

T- I actually like the flavor of Dixie; it's unique I find! To me, the malt is very upfront and makes this sweeter than I was expecting. It is very clean on the finish, and although there is some cloying corn syrup like flavor on the palate after the swallow, I want to continue drinking this beer! The finish does contain an ever so mild bittering quality, but not enough to truly balance this one out.

M- Due to the sweetness of this one, it leans towards a medium body in my opinion. The carbonation, as expected, is plentiful and scrubs the palate clean. I feel like I'm drinking a carbonated dessert.

O- I'm not sure why this one has such a low score overall...the malt content is obviously much higher than a typical AAL, it's just not balanced quite enough with hop bitterness. Maybe it's the "slow aging" that this one goes through that gives it an extended richness...I don't know. I like this on its' own and think it could provide an interesting marinade for BBQ chicken....glad I picked this one up when given the chance!

2.75/5  rDev -1.4%

2.85/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks to my good friends Jana and Dirk for bringing this up.

A- Light straw gold with a half finger head.

S- Sweet grainy aroma with faint hints of corn with no discernable hop aroma.

T- Grainy sweet up front with light hints of corn in the wings. The corn notes becoming more noticable as the beer warms up. What little hop character there is barely pokes in at the end before the semi-sweet finish.

M- Carbonation good and spritzy while maintaining a pretty smooth feel.

O- Not bad at all... for what it is. While I wouldn't seek it out ever, but if you were used to even cheaper adjunct lagers, this might taste pretty good by comparision.

2.6/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes.

Poured out a standard clear golden straw color, tiny collar of white head, no lacing. Smells and tastes mostly of cooked sweet corn with a side helping of diacetyl butteriness. Mushy generic bittering hops in the flavor. Light body and fizzy soda carbonation. Doesn't do enough differently from all the other Adjunct Lagers to justify the price tag on the bottle.

3.23/5  rDev +15.8%

poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass

A-straw yellow with about a finger of white head that fades wuickly without any lacing

S-grainy corn just like the style and not much else

T-sweet corn type taste with a little malt

M-just light the style pretty thin and watery

O-no worse than anything else in the style but there is just not a lot of flavor in this which is in line with the style

2.05/5  rDev -26.5%

I remember Dixie Beer from the old beer can collecting days of my youth. I guess that lead to a curiosity to try the brew. I got a 12oz bottle of this brew from the local beer/wine superstore. I chilled it overnight and poured a sample into a 12 oz. weizen glass. The rest that I decided to drink was from the bottle.

Appearance: golden hue, clear and with a head of white froth. Nothing special.

Smell: Typical sweet corn/grain smell of an American adjunct lager.

Taste: The taste was sweet and the carbonation was noticeable. Not much of an aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, carbonated, and light.

Overall: Nothing came out in the taste to make me want to buy this beer again. Why it could be anything more than a local favorite is beyond me.

2.5/5  rDev -10.4%

Dixie from Dixie Brewing Co.