Dixie - Dixie Brewing Co.

DixieDixie

poor

Dixie Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001)
2.5/5  rDev -10.4%

12 oz bottle brewed in WI for the Dixie company after Hurricane Katrina.

poured a fizzy yellow into my pint glass with a huge foamy head with very large bubbles. the head was ugly, not tight at all, and quite the turnoff for me.

Tastes like a macro. Tastes watered down for sure, i can pick out some hops, and some malt, but all in all it tastes like there is way too much water in the recipe.

mouthfeel is watery at best. it does have a very clean finish since it doesnt really have anything heavy in the taste to begin with.

as for drinkability, i can see this as a micro to serve your macro drinking friends, i doubt they could tell the difference, except in price (1.83 per bottle) It was certainly not worth the price and glad i only have one single. this could be a decent "lawnmower beer" though as you could drink it like water when the temperature is 110 in the desert.. i guess perhaps that is what it was intended for.

tayner, Jan 12, 2008
3.33/5  rDev +19.4%

Another Wisconsin refugee beer, vice from the original source

Pours an effervescent golden with 2+ fingers off eggshell white head. Near zero head retention & lacing

S: Corny & some perfumy hops

T: Corny & grainy with some lemon hops up front. Slight metallic hops & caro syrup-like sweetness, along with apricot as this warms. Finishes with a slight metallic & lemon hop profile & hints of grapes, apples & honey

MF: Thin bodied & lively carbonation

Drinks easy enough, just a typical macro, maybe slightly better. I remember there being more of dry rice profile back in the day, but we're talking 10 years & one brewery ago

russpowell, Nov 15, 2007
3.03/5  rDev +8.6%

pours a light golden color with a large white head that disappears quickly to just beer and no lacing. slight cooked veggie smell. malt, yeast, grain taste. light mouthfeel with a crisp carbonation. just a new name i had not seen thought i would give it a try but i do not think i will buy again at nine dollars a six pack.

billybob, Nov 12, 2007

Appearance- Pours with a clear yellow body like the color of straw. Thin white head which disappears quickly.

Smell- Very yeasty with a slight hint of malts.

Taste- Very crisp with a bitter taste and dry finish. Has a dry finish.

Mouthfeel- Thin with high carbonation.

Drinkability- None. Lets be honest this beer is garbage. The fact that they aren't brewing this in New Orleans anymore makes it suck more. Dixie was never very good and now it is riding on the coat of nostalgia.

Beerbuddha, Sep 25, 2007

330ml bottle, served chilled in an Urthel Tripel mug

Pours with a slightly hazy yellow body, some amber highlights around the edges of the glass. Fizzy bubbly white head, fair retention although it settles down to a whisp. No lacing

Smell, a whack of dextrin, fresh grass cuttings, grist and spent grains. Some fresh malt character, small amount of hop aroma

Taste, crisp and thin malt profile. Some slight biscuity and adjunct type dryness on the finish. A slight hop bitterness and character early on, disappates early though and doesnt stick around till the end. Some sweetness from the malt along with a little bit of fresh melon

Didn't expect much from this and to be honest it didn't exactlyset my palette on fire. That said its a clean drinking and pretty refreshing lager, no real off flavours or aromas to speak of. This bottle was produced in the EU due to the devastation of the Dixie brewery in New Orleans

cypressbob, Aug 28, 2007
3.3/5  rDev +18.3%

Poured beer from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a light yellow golden color with minimal fizzy head. Very little lacing. Smell is sweet with malt, corn. Taste is malty, with a slight tinge of molasses and a hoppy, dry finish. The mouthfeel is light, with little carbonation. Overall, this beer is drinkable, but no more than your average macro lager.

gmfessen, Nov 20, 2006
3.73/5  rDev +33.7%

A well made lager, perhaps the best from the Dixie Brewing Co. Pours out to a medium golden color with a small head of white foam. Streams of bubbles race toward the top, indicating the medium high level of carbonation. Aromas of sweet malts and flowery grains is appealing. Taste is a solid step in the right direction - destinctive maltiness, light earthy grain, notes of hops, sweet veggie notes. Mouthfeel is far better than typical macros, having depth and body, yet remaining refreshing. Above average drinkability. I got a case for 15 bucks, and it was well worth it. Recommended.

THE BLOODHOUND FACTOR: Both canines enjoyed this one, but Benjie seemed to be most fond of the rich maltiness, stealing a good portion of his sister's sample.

Frozensoul327, Aug 20, 2006
2.78/5  rDev -0.4%

Poured gold with a thin white foamy head that left some lacing.
The smell was thin - but an odd, sourish aroma was present.
The taste was of malt with a touch of sweetness. Some adjuncts and a touch of grass were mixed in. A touch of metal was noticeable.
The hints of flavors quickly disappeared, leaving a bland aftertaste.
Even though it's not watery, it lacked much body or flavor. Although I was able to finish it relatively quickly, nothing about it made me desire another one. Not much of a thirst-quencher, either. While not horrible, it's below average, and not worth it.

jwc215, Jul 29, 2006
3.58/5  rDev +28.3%

When we went to New Orleans, my brother found a bar that had dollar Dixie beer in the afternoon and when he showed up for dinner with my parents at eight he was mighty loaded. It was a real fancy restaurant and I won't go into the goings on of the next several hours, but rest assured it is the stuff of family legend.

Dixie pours a dark straw color with a respectable head that dissipates in haste. The nose is mostly sugar and malt. The taste is textured and balanced, though the mouthfeel is a little watery. This is not great, but its drinkable and particularly so in the summer heat.

daliandragon, Jul 19, 2006
2.7/5  rDev -3.2%

330ml bottle bought from GapWines, Belfast...

Poured a light golden yellow colour... White fizzy head poured quite small and disappeared completely almost instantly... no lacing at all...

Aroma - Light malts, sweetcorn notes, fruity (light orange, some grapefruit), creamy hints, coppery... overall a bit bland...

Taste – Salty, quite sweet, very light malts, boiled rice notes, some faint fruitiness, light hops...

Feel - Quite smooth with some spritzy sharpness underneath. Light body. Not particularly drinkable as it's a bit sickly...

Overall - A poor lager... not really worth trying...

mdagnew, May 02, 2006
2.25/5  rDev -19.4%

12 ounce bottle. Dixie beer pours out a clear golden color with half an inch of white head. The aroma is pretty bad. It makes me think of spoiled milk. The flavor isn't quite so bad, although it does have a little bit of sour milk. Besides that, I taste honey, malt, and sweet corn. Mouthfeel is light. Drinkability is a little weak. The flavor of this beer isn't terrible, but the smell almost makes me sick, and it ruins this beer for me.

beveragecaptain, Dec 14, 2005
2.9/5  rDev +3.9%

I didn't know what to expect from this guy. There was no indication on the bottle of what type of beer I was trying. It smelled and looked like a lager so that was my guess. Taste backed that up and now it is confirmed.

So, a macro brewed lager. Obviously not as big as some macros. Well, it poured like a lot of macros with a light straw color and almost no head. The smell was light, slightly sweet and fruity with a bit of weak spice.

Feels pretty good in the mouth but the hops and malts seem watered down. Definitely a lager but without much character. Take the smell and water it down a bit and you've got the taste.

Overall, not bad. Easy to drink. Still, other been being from Dixie, fairly forgettable.

misterscooter, Nov 19, 2005
2.95/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured into a pounder glass at a rapid pace and produced a light fizzy head that reduces to nothing quicker than Tom Leykis can diss a beeeeatch. faded amber coloring.

As soon as I poured this a huge apple juice aroma explosion. Which I imagine is a byproduct of the cypress wood aging. Sweet malty, earthy grain type backdrop. First drink it comes across Juicy. Its a unique taste for this style. Sweet body and a mellow syrupy mouthfeel with light carbonation that forgets to show up for work. Almost malt liquor'ish but with flavor. It finishes a bit chalky. I liked the effort to be different and age it in wood barrells it definately is unique but thats where it ends for me. With that said I have 3 more to go in the six pack ....Not a problem.

DogFood11, Sep 10, 2005
2.33/5  rDev -16.5%

A friend thought he was doing me a favor by getting a six pack of these for us. Looks like every other lager. Yellow and carbonated. Foamy head that ran quickly. Smells like every other ordinary lager, slightly earthy, slightly sweet. Tastes like every other ordinary lager; mildly sweet, vegetable like, hopped only for bitter balance. Mouthfeel is neutral to raw. Finish is non-existent. If your buddy buys them for you, then drink it--it won't kill you. I promise. I won't recomend buying this one.

BEERchitect, Jun 28, 2005
3.3/5  rDev +18.3%

"I wish I was in Dixie, Hooray! Hooray!
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand
To live and die in Dixie.
Away, away, away down south in Dixie.
Away, away, away down south in Dixie.

--"Dixie" by Daniel Decatur Emmett (from Mount Vernon, Ohio)

Lightly dusty, burnished gold with butter colored accents.... and a far, far better head than I'm accustomed to seeing on a macro lager. The cap is parchment in color with a firm stickiness about it that results in persistence and a more than adequate display of lace. It isn't a stunner, but this beer, at least in terms of its appearance, has more character than the vast majority of its style peers.

The nose is an unqualified disappointment. The good new is that it smells nothing like a macro lager. The bad news is that it doesn't smell like much of anything at all. Meagerly malty, mildly musky, slightly sweet and very little else. Is this a hop-free beer?

Dixie isn't bad, it isn't good, it's just sort of... there. Thankfully, it doesn't have that bordering on nasty quality that is so prevalent in offerings from BMC. Believe it or not, I think that I can actually appreciate the fact that it was aged in cypress barrels (although if I hadn't read the label, I never would have come up with that on my own). There's a mild, spicy woodiness to the flavor that makes it semi-interesting and makes me wish that it played a more assertive role.

There was a moderate metallic character during the first several ounces, but all vestiges of it have now faded. Lightly sweet throughout, the beer manages to finish clean, dry, herbal and woody. Although the mouthfeel (light, properly carbonated) is no great shakes, it keeps my mouth interested all the way to the bottom of the bottle.

Dixie Beer is a New Orleans classic. It doesn't exactly rock my world, but it does make my mouth water for some of those gastronomic delights that only the Crescent City can provide. I'm sure that it's a more than adequate mouth cleanser for Po-boys, red beans and rice, etc. and it's just fine on its own as well. Old times there are not forgotten.

BuckeyeNation, Jun 12, 2005
3.1/5  rDev +11.1%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a 1/4" white head that quickly fades to spotty lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a sweet pale malt scent and a slightly musty lager yeast aroma. There appears to be adjuncts present, but it does have a malty sweetness. The taste is average. It has a weak and watery pale malt flavor that goes down easy, but finishes with metallic aftertaste. The malty sweetness is gone in the taste. It does however have some hops which make it drinkable. The mouthfeel is average as well. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is an average lager. It has no real malt character at all. It's beer flavored water. It one and done for me.

WesWes, May 21, 2005
2.5/5  rDev -10.4%

Right out of the bottle, the smell is that of stinky cheese. I think this is the abundance of hops, but it is not very intriguing. The color is dark yellow, also nothing special. The taste is weak, with prevalence of hops at the start, then water takes over and washes it all down. I suppose this would be good for spicy food from New Orleans such as Creole, but drinking it on its own would only be waste.

Toddv29424, Mar 15, 2005
3.23/5  rDev +15.8%

I had this the other night with my in-laws. Since we were having shrimp creole, the thought was we needed a beer from New Orleans.

That said, it pours with a nice light yellow/ amber color with very little head - even with a hard pour, it does not last long. The smell is all malt - very sweet with no hops discernable. The taste is surprising. Much better tasting than most beers of the style, i.e. it does have a unique flavor - must be from the cypress cask aging as stated on the label. Again very sweet with no bitterness, with decent carbonation, but a bit thin.

Overall, I would not seek it out, but it is much better than I suggested and its sweetness went well to balance the spicyness of the meal. If offered to me again, I wouldn't refuse.

keilerdunkel, Jan 13, 2005
2.15/5  rDev -22.9%

Appearance: Light golden color with a modest white head with poor retention, poor lacing, and small streams of slow rising carbonation.

Aroma: Oppressively sweet aroma of honey and caramel corn, with no hop presence whatsoever.

Taste: Begins with a sweet honey-like malt note, followed by a more substantial malt presence, and finishing with a low level medicinal bitterness that just will not go away.

Mouth feel: Fairly sharp carbonation on the tip of the tongue, with a decent body.

Drinkability/notes: Not that good, I am afraid, perhaps my sample had not traveled well. But I have had much better light lagers. In my opinion, a lawnmower beer, nothing more.

Pegasus, Oct 30, 2004
2.3/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours a highly carbonated amber-gold topped with a two finger quickly dissipating white head, leaves thin webs of lacing.
Fruity aroma, crisp with a caramel note.
Off adjuncty taste, corn and vegetables, toaste, bread, wood, light citrus and earth notes.
Medium bodied. Went through a 6 pack, 4 of the bottles were stale and flat, only 2 were in good shape.

mschofield, Oct 01, 2004
2.35/5  rDev -15.8%

Ah! The infamous Dixie. I actually summoned up the courage to try this beer even though I think Dixie Jazz is the worst beer in the universe.

Presentation: 12 oz. longneck bottle. No freshness date.

Appearance: Wow! A centimeter high head that disappears within 5 seconds. Moderate carbonation. Orange Amber color. Darker than most adjuncts. Very little lacing.

Aroma: Sweet malt, a little lemony. Not much going on here but a little more enjoyable than mainstream adjuncts.

Taste: Watery with very little sweet malt and some grain. There is a lot less malt flavor than I expected from the smell. No aftertaste; extremely dry. Alcohol unnoticeable. Can't find anything else, it tastes mostly like water. I barely taste any hops at all.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery with moderate to high carbonation. No coating of the palate at all.

Drinkability: Light and easy to drink, but I only drank half of it before pouring it down the drain. It left a queasy feeling in my stomach and kinda gave me a headache. Didn't like the taste either.

Notes: Well at least it was better than I exspected. After nearly vomiting from Dixie Jazz, this at least was somewhat drinkable. I will never drink this again. The only reason I drank it was because it was in the refrigerator at my parents' house. I tried to be as fair as I could with the ratings even though I detest nearly everything this brewery makes. It is a disgrace to New Orleans, Louisiana, and beer. When I want something local, I buy Abita, but alas, even that leaves much to be desired.

etaggie09, Sep 28, 2004
3.45/5  rDev +23.7%

Considering Baton Rouge is only about an hour from New Orleans, it's fairly difficult to find Dixie around here. Supermarkets don't have it (or for the most part anything too interesting), and only one liquor store I've been to has it. Too bad, because it's a nice little beer. Appearance is an unimpressive light golden color, head is small and quickly goes away. Smell is nice and malty, smells like a weaker version of their Blackened Voodoo. Taste is lightly malty, with flavor that reminds me of molasses. This isn't overpowering so it's easy to drink. Standard Dixie seems like a much lighter version of Blackened Voodoo, or actually vice versa. Dixie isn't too challenging or that special of a beer, but it's tasty easy-to-drink character won me over.

Gagnonsux, Sep 06, 2004
3.03/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured a dark yellow color with a thin head that lasted for a bit.
Smell is of honey, hops and metallic.
Taste is malty, slightly hop, and a metalic flavor at the end, but the sweetness does go on for a while.
Mouthfeel is average to good nice carbination not too overpowering.
Drinkability is definately above average. I could drink more than just one.

I like this beer. It has a nice flavor and is slightly above average over all. A good thirst quenching no-frills lager.

trumick, Aug 26, 2004
2.95/5  rDev +5.7%

The beer poured a golden yellow with no head to speak of, but a nice coveing of white over the top. The nose is very sweet, almost honey-like. The taste is mostly sweet malt and almost creamy flavor/texture, but seems watered down. I am not getting any hops from this one at all. Not exactly what I was expecting at all from this beer. The carbonation is fairly low. It has a nice moderate feel in my mouth, not thin, but not too heavy. This is a nice beer to sit down to ice cold after some hot outdoor work. The flavors are not overpowering and the carbonation is very soft and not burning. Not a bad beer.

kmpitz2, Aug 16, 2004
3.4/5  rDev +21.9%

This poured a golden yellow color. Bright and clear with a thinning head that almost immediately fizzled out. Decent amount of carbonation. A bit of sediment poured out from the bottom of the bottle. Time to change the filters!
The aroma is strange for such a light beer. Some solvent-like and nutty like graininess with a bit of buttery malts. It’s different, but not bad. The taste is light and plain, with a crisp corn like sweetness and a nice cereal quality. Better than the typical macro. Light in body that finishes soft and clean. From past experience I didn’t hold out much hope for this beer, but I am surprisingly enjoying this. The cypress barrel aging is definitely noticed here and I think enhances this beer. Although, more hop character would significantly increase the quality. It’s pretty good. I’m pleasantly surprised.

pezoids, Aug 03, 2004
Dixie from Dixie Brewing Co.