Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager - Dixie Brewing Co.

Dixie Blackened Voodoo LagerDixie Blackened Voodoo Lager

Dixie Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States

Schwarzbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 08-10-2001

to view more.
Ratings: 748 | Reviews: 392
3.29/5  rDev -2.4%

Dixie Voodoo.... not the "old" voodoo! The original version of Voodoo was quite a great dark beer. Since the 2005 Katrina hurricane the Dixie brewery has been closed. The beer is now brewed under contract by a Wisconsin brewery which is teamed up with Minhas brewery in Calgary, Alberta. What you find now is an imitation and not the original taste or flavor. I find the new (contracted) brew to be too sweet which is indicative of most of the Minhas brand of beers. Good dark color decent flavor but way to sweet finish. Bring back Dixie Brewery.

2.55/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

I do not know how this is a schwarzbier.

2.66/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is a very average lager

3.39/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance:
This is a clear dark brown ale with a light white head that quickly dissipates. There is very little carbonation and no lacing.
Smell:
Malts and brown sugar, maple syrup.
Taste:
Strong roasted malts and caramel mixed in with some mild coffee and molasses as it hits the back of your throat.
Mouthfeel:
Light bodied, smooth and lightly carbonated.
Overall:
Not bad and it is an easy drinker.

1.75/5  rDev -48.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

smelled and tasted bad. Drain pour.

3.17/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Pours a murky amber color with a meager off-white head. Aroma smells of caramel, peat, molasses, and mild green and peppery hops. I had this years ago and don’t remember it looking nearly so pale. Makes me wonder if they changed the recipe...

Taste is malt-forward, with caramel, honey, and bread. Hops are mild and medicinal. Schizophrenic carbonation is prickly up front and flat on the back end. Combined with the light-medium body, the mouthfeel here is a little loose for my liking.

I don’t quite know what’s going on here, but this is not the Blackened Voodoo I remember from 5-6 years ago, and it’s definitely not a schwarzbier. The beer I remember was much darker and had a roastier profile (though still sweet), while this is paler and more one-dimensional (more like a marzen, really). It’s not bad, but not what I was expecting.

3.1/5  rDev -8%

Pours a dark amber color. You would think with a name like Blackened it would be darker, was disappointed in this. smell and taste is your typical lager...a tad on the sweet side especially compared to what I'm used to.

4.13/5  rDev +22.6%

Wanted to revisit this one (Remember BEERS OF THE WORLD?) Kinda reminds me of Newcastle. I like the constant bubbly. Right on the edge of being too much but doesn't cross it ( you can keep all that Belgian or IPA swill). Me likes.

1.5/5  rDev -55.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Basic lager nothing new here at all

3.61/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours clear and on the lighter side for the style. Deep amber. Brilliant with clarity and a fat head of tan creamy foam that lasts a surprisingly long time and leaves lace. Nose is rich with toasty malt. Nothing burnt, nothing roasted. No coffee, or chocolate. There is a luscious caramel and a bit of brown sugar. Faintly on the nose is a tad, and I do mean just a tad of green apple. It's perfect for the style and that hint of apple really adds brightness. There is also the modest whiff of noble hops but nothing really to even talk about. The taste is surprisingly sweet. There is a richness and depth to the malt that is very pleasant. Bready with a bit of the crust, deep and complex sweetness. Caramel and brown sugar. The green apple is so faint in the drink but provides a bit of crispness. The hops lean on to the palate a bit in the finish with a low amount of bitterness. This finishes with a little residual sweetness. My only complaint about this beer is that it finished with brown sugar and caramel to the point of being a bit too sweet, rather than the breadier , toastier sweetness to linger.

2.88/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a transparent tan with good head and nice lacing. Smells of sweet malt and tastes the same WITH plenty of malt and bread. Sugar residual seems to be a little heavy on this one and causes the balance to be off with this lager..

Nice dark lager with a pinch of spice.

The base is smooth, slightly sweet lager with a strong roasted overtone. The color it more red than black, with little to no head and light carbonation. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

3.33/5  rDev -1.2%

Twelve ounce bottle.

A: Pours a clear copper with a solid one-finger thick off-white head which fades to a nice cap and leaves semi-rings and splotches of lace.

N: Malty, stale grain, slightly tart citrusy lemons. Not impressed here.

T: Caramel and toffee malts, earthy, slightly metallic, bready, and a mild roast. Better.

M: Semi-moderate body and medium carbonation. Dry with a malty and caramel finish.

O: All malt dark lager is not my thing, but this was O.K. despite the smell.

3.64/5  rDev +8%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Harldy any head on the pour. Smell is fantastic, lots of toffee and caramel. Taste is sweeter than expected. Also it has an odd boozy taste which is strange for the alcohol percentage. Taste is finished off by a nice caramel note that is not too overwhelming.

Overall I enjoyeed this beer, but the sweet boozy flavor does not serve it well.

3.51/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a pils glass
A; Dark orange with a solid one-finger head
S: Malty; a whole mixture of grains, some toasted some not. A hint of caramel
T: Caramel, malt, grain, a touch sweet
M: Light to medium bodied
O: Better than many beers that prominently state lager (not to be at all biased against lagers) but nothing memorable stands out

3.16/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Black. I think I know what that means. Blackish red, maybe.

I did not have high hopes for this brew and it still let me down. Everything is wrong, yet I would still recommend it for a taste, but be prepared for disappointment.

It pours a blackish red with little head. The aroma is a funky sweet thing with a bit of yeasty goodness. The taste is similarly a funky sweet lager mess. It definitely has a big lager taste, like it were boozy, but it is not. The aftertaste is funky too.

A lager should move and hold well, but this seems to have gone bad, or it was always funky. Bob - avoid this!!

Sampled last night on 4/25/14. Been about 20 years since I had one of these. Single bottle was bought for $1.79 and chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and pored into a vintage 'Schlitz' 10 ounce hour-glass pilsner glass. Love the cool label.

Pours a pretty cinnamon amber in color in color with a small off-white head. Some spotty lacing is seen which each sip. The aroma is very nice with roasted malts, caramel and toffee with brown sugar sweetness. The taste is actually pretty smooth with the above flavors mixing well together then followed by the brown sugar sweetness finish. Perfect carbonation. This is a different brew but tasty and has no harsh or bitter aftertaste. Really liked this one.

3.67/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: The body is a cinnamon amber color. A light cream colored head recedes to a wisp with little or no lacing.

Aroma: Nutty, caramelly sweet, malts and toasted grains, toffee.

Taste: Cloyingly sweet with nutty toffee, caramel, and malts.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy, medium bodied.

Overall: This was really good, but it's downfall may be it's massive sweetness. Great flavor though.

3.48/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A standard pour of Dixie's Blackened Voodoo Lager yields a nut-brown body that turns crimson when held up to a ceiling lamp. The brew doesn't offer much by way of foam or lacing, but a thin ring of oatmeal fizz does nestle into the groove around the edge of the brew. Carbonation is mild and appealing.

The nose is weak. Faint notes of caramel and molasses are appreciable, but just barely.

What the taste lacks in complexity, it makes up for in appeal. Light brown sugar dominates, complemented by browned butterscotch, toasted biscuit, and some dried Turkish apricot. The flavors aren't intense; this is a light, drinkable dunkel. In fact, it's so drinkable that I've just noticed I'm more than half way through. The mouthfeel isn't as thin as I had feared, and nicely complements the beer's flavor profile.

BeerAdvocate lists this beer as a Schwarzbier. But considering the lack of roasted flavors (e.g., coffee, chocolate) that are associated with Schwarzbiers, I think it makes more sense to consider Blackened Voodoo Lager as a sweet, all-malt Munich Dunkel. Enjoy it with jerk chicken or creole shrimp.

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%

The waiter at Hwy 99 Blues Club suggested this one to me, drank straight out of the bottle so was not able to see the color. Boy was I surprised when I got home and found out it was from Louisiana. Ales are my Norm but I enjoyed this interesting Voodoo. Perhaps it was the setting of the Blues Club but I enjoyed this Brew and will look for it again.

2.78/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

I picked up a bottle of Dixie Brewing Company's Blackened Voodoo Lager last month for $1.75 at Boyne Country Provisions. I've never heard of this brewery before and I didn't know it was available in Michigan, but I thought I would take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label isn't that great looking, it's just got a cheesy look to it. It poured a fairly clean and a somewhat lighter brown color that took on a ruby and crimson hue when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of off white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and left some spotty lacing behind. This is a decent looking Schwarzbier, but I thought the color was a pretty light for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of malts that impart a toasted, grainy, sweet malt and brown bread like aroma with some caramel and toffee aromas seeming to stick out the most. Up next came a somewhat lighter dark fruit aroma. I wasn't big a fan of the aroma, it wasn't bad, but it didn't fit into the style well.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a pretty high amount of medium sweetness that bordered on being highly sweet and it's followed by loads of malts that imparts all the aspects that I got in the aroma with caramel and toffee still sticking out the most and there's also just a slight roasty flavor, but it's barely noticeable. Up next come a light dark fruit flavor with a slightly higher amount of low bitterness with a malty, caramel, and toffee like aftertaste. The taste was a little disappointing, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't that true to style.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, on the slightly lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation that was slightly prickly. The mouthfeel was decent, but it was slightly over carbonated.

Overall I wasn't a big fan of this beer and I didn't think it was a good example of the style, it wasn't a bad beer, but it wasn't what I expected from the style and to me it tasted more like a brown ale or a bock, I think it missed the mark for the style. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was smooth and not too filling, but the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention and I think one would be enough for me, I have no urge to drink another one in a row. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel and appearance, they weren't the greatest but they still wound up being the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was how off it was for the style, this beer doesn't even compare to the last two Schwarzbier's I had and I don't think I would guess the correct style if I tried it blindly. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I wouldn't recommend it as a good Schwarzbier since I don't feel like it does a good job representing the style. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer and it didn't make for a good first impression for Dixie Brewing company, it was pretty a forgettable especially for the style. Better luck next time guys, this beer need some major work. Of the the three Schwarzbier's I've tried this week this one was the worst and it wasn't even close.

3.44/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a clear medium amber in color with light amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some burnt orange + garnet red highlights. The beer has a finger tall creamy foamy light beige head that slowly reduces to a thick film covering the entire surface of the beer and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of toasted and roasted malts with a light amount of earthy hops.

T: Upfront there is a moderate flavor of roasted malts with a slightly lesser flavor of toasted malts, all of which has a light amount of malty sweetness (toffee and light fruits). There is a light amount of earthy hops towards the finish which imparts a light amount of lingering bitterness.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery once it warms up.

O: Not as complex or as good as some of the other schwarzbiers that I have tried in the past. Easy enough to drink and the alcohol is well hidden but I would not have more than one of these.

4.23/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Wow..What a lager. Ever interesting to have.

In the glass the colour is ruby red with a thin white head.

The nose is sweet with carmel and dried cherry.

Taste was quite interesting, sweet with a slight tangy sour finihs. Really pleasing. Flavours of toffee and yeasty bread with cherry prune hints.

Nice round warm mouthfeel. A good brew.

This beer has the most unique taste I have tasted and it has a lovely smooth taste. The label is a great representation for the name of the beer and New Orleans.

to view more.
Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager from Dixie Brewing Co.