Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager - Dixie Brewing Co.

Dixie Blackened Voodoo LagerDixie Blackened Voodoo Lager

Dixie Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States

Schwarzbier |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 08-10-2001)

Chd_Prtr, Oct 05, 2014

WestBay, Jun 01, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -55.5%

megamick, Sunday at 12:41 AM
1.75/5  rDev -48.1%

Picked up a single for 1.70 awhile back. Must admit I've been nervous to try this. Something about its appearance is off-putting.

Appearance - A very watery, mucky muck, bog appearance. Transparent brown with a thin mossy film over the top. A very bland and light consistency.

Smell - Smells a bit fruity. Heavy malt. Well, alright.

Taste - A very light and boring tasting beer. There is absolutely no body to this beer at all. It isn't terrible, but is surely isn't good. It is tasteless save for the bit of malty swill.

Mouthfeel - What mouthfeel? It tastes like water whether I swish it around in my mouth or leave it sitting behind and on my tongue.

Overall - This beer wasn't bad tasting like I expected. The problem is that it tasted like nothing at all. I feel like I am drinking uncarbonated flavored water.

Jesse13713, Jun 17, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -48.1%

montydesi, May 03, 2014
1.88/5  rDev -44.2%

Deep blackish color, nice, almost-hoppy aroma. Tastes awful, it has a chemical taste like when you've been at the cleaners too long. Oily, clinging flavor that is not a pleasant hops-oil, but more of a sticky bad taste that just will not go away. As it warms up, it does not get any better. Pass it by.

jackndan, Jul 09, 2002
1.88/5  rDev -44.2%

I was really hoping for the best for this beer. However, it just isn't for me. I am more of a hops person and this is 100% malt.

A - One thing going for this beer. Very nice looking. Beautiful Tootsie Roll brown with a huge head that lasts almost as long as the beer did....and that was a LONG time.

S - Burnt Carmel. Backwoods. Not that pleasant.

T - Yeah...purchased a 6 pack really hoping for something special. Saw it at a local shop and decided to try it out. Just not for me. Very malty....Period. Strong to the point of not liking it. I really wanted to. Burned carmel, hot tootsie roll taste. I think that either you will like this one or not like it...all depends on what you go for. Me....Not this beer.

M - Thin. Thick head. Bitter malt....but I like bitter hops. This doesn't have this.

D - No. Not for me. Will I drink the rest of my 6 pack.... of course but I will never purchase this again.

schellsbeer, Nov 26, 2008
1.9/5  rDev -43.6%

Very dark amber, bordering on black. I must say that this has got to be some of the shittiest bottle art that I've ever seen, but a good pour makes up for that.

Smells overpoweringly of sweet fruit. Kind of like a dubble, only not complex: plums and raisins and nothing else.

Tastes very much like it smells. A natural sweetness, plummy. A strange solvent taste in the middle, leaving nothing at the back. Unbalanced.

Well, this little number turned out to be a waste of money. Tastes like a fruitcake, only less complicated.

mynie, Jan 19, 2005

rah1734bones, May 01, 2012

HRamz3, Dec 20, 2013

KAF, Jan 26, 2012
2.03/5  rDev -39.8%

Auburn colored, clear, head was minimal and lacing is so-so. Not what I'd expect from the style.

Aroma is pretty much caramel malts. Flavor follows. There's not much besides sweetness and caramel, perhaps a bit of nuts.

It's like DFH raison d'etre got watered down and turned into a lager. Sicky-sweet and overly caramel.

I'm not real fond of this one.

AlCaponeJunior, Jan 17, 2013
2.03/5  rDev -39.8%

C. Pretty clear
H. Straight up brown, not black as the name claims.
N. Malty, hints of sweetness and toffee.

::I wake up in the morning, quite hungover, stumble to the coffee machine. Damnit there is coffee from yesterday...oh well, pour the coffee toss some ice on top and take a sip....I place the glass down and forget about it for about an hour. Come back it is not sort-a brownish since it is watered down, take a sip....and ahhh it taste just like Dixie Blackend Voodoo Lager.:: I Expected bigger and blacker (Warren Sapp like qualities)....but didn't get it (Steve Urkel like qualities). Ohh well. Safe to say that this will also be the last Dixie we try. If someone was to rebottle this with an Abita (another New Orleans brewery) bottle I don't think I would ever second guess where it came from. Weak try....nothing special here.

DosBeerigos, Feb 24, 2010
2.1/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Deep, amber brown pour with a quickly disappearing tan head.
Rich, chocolate, low hopped porter like scent.
Broadly sickly-sweet, with an off tartness on the sides of the tongue. Blechhh! Deep, roasted aftertaste is the only redeeming value.
All I can say about the mouthfeel besides "subtle carbonation" is slimy.
Too damn sweet and that tartness is very offputting. Definitely won't have two.

nortmand, Oct 05, 2004
2.17/5  rDev -35.6%

Poured into a standard shaker.

This beer was given to me by a friend at work. Thanks Mike!

Pours a very dark brown, almost black. At first glance I suspected this was a schwarzbier. One finger head quickly dissipates. Aroma of sweet malts pulls through with very little else. No real roastiness or underlying aromas, just sweet malt with a buttery character.

Taste is exactly what I could expect from the smell. No bitterness and a cloyingly sweet lingering taste on the back of my tongue.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are average. Not a lot to say about this one, not something I would ever purchase, but I may down a few of these if I came across them at a tailgate.

Not recommended.

victory4me, Feb 03, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This poured a dark red color with very little head. It looked like a cherry coke! There is a malty taste at first but I was left with a flavor that I couldn't quite put my finger on. My mouth became very very dry. I felt as though I needed another beer just to moisten up my mouth. This may have convinced me not to try anything else from Dixie Brewing. I have yet to see anything that constitutes real beer from them!

ALESwhatCURESya, Feb 09, 2004
2.25/5  rDev -33.2%

chim52chim, Jul 17, 2012
Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager from Dixie Brewing Co.