Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager - Dixie Brewing Co.

Dixie Blackened Voodoo LagerDixie Blackened Voodoo Lager

Dixie Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States

Schwarzbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 08-10-2001

1.77/5  rDev -47.9%

Picked up a single for 1.70 awhile back. Must admit I've been nervous to try this. Something about its appearance is off-putting.

Appearance - A very watery, mucky muck, bog appearance. Transparent brown with a thin mossy film over the top. A very bland and light consistency.

Smell - Smells a bit fruity. Heavy malt. Well, alright.

Taste - A very light and boring tasting beer. There is absolutely no body to this beer at all. It isn't terrible, but is surely isn't good. It is tasteless save for the bit of malty swill.

Mouthfeel - What mouthfeel? It tastes like water whether I swish it around in my mouth or leave it sitting behind and on my tongue.

Overall - This beer wasn't bad tasting like I expected. The problem is that it tasted like nothing at all. I feel like I am drinking uncarbonated flavored water.

1.92/5  rDev -43.5%

I was really hoping for the best for this beer. However, it just isn't for me. I am more of a hops person and this is 100% malt.

A - One thing going for this beer. Very nice looking. Beautiful Tootsie Roll brown with a huge head that lasts almost as long as the beer did....and that was a LONG time.

S - Burnt Carmel. Backwoods. Not that pleasant.

T - Yeah...purchased a 6 pack really hoping for something special. Saw it at a local shop and decided to try it out. Just not for me. Very malty....Period. Strong to the point of not liking it. I really wanted to. Burned carmel, hot tootsie roll taste. I think that either you will like this one or not like it...all depends on what you go for. Me....Not this beer.

M - Thin. Thick head. Bitter malt....but I like bitter hops. This doesn't have this.

D - No. Not for me. Will I drink the rest of my 6 pack.... of course but I will never purchase this again.

1.94/5  rDev -42.9%

Very dark amber, bordering on black. I must say that this has got to be some of the shittiest bottle art that I've ever seen, but a good pour makes up for that.

Smells overpoweringly of sweet fruit. Kind of like a dubble, only not complex: plums and raisins and nothing else.

Tastes very much like it smells. A natural sweetness, plummy. A strange solvent taste in the middle, leaving nothing at the back. Unbalanced.

Well, this little number turned out to be a waste of money. Tastes like a fruitcake, only less complicated.

1.95/5  rDev -42.6%

Deep blackish color, nice, almost-hoppy aroma. Tastes awful, it has a chemical taste like when you've been at the cleaners too long. Oily, clinging flavor that is not a pleasant hops-oil, but more of a sticky bad taste that just will not go away. As it warms up, it does not get any better. Pass it by.

2.03/5  rDev -40.3%

C. Pretty clear
H. Straight up brown, not black as the name claims.
N. Malty, hints of sweetness and toffee.

::I wake up in the morning, quite hungover, stumble to the coffee machine. Damnit there is coffee from yesterday...oh well, pour the coffee toss some ice on top and take a sip....I place the glass down and forget about it for about an hour. Come back it is not sort-a brownish since it is watered down, take a sip....and ahhh it taste just like Dixie Blackend Voodoo Lager.:: I Expected bigger and blacker (Warren Sapp like qualities)....but didn't get it (Steve Urkel like qualities). Ohh well. Safe to say that this will also be the last Dixie we try. If someone was to rebottle this with an Abita (another New Orleans brewery) bottle I don't think I would ever second guess where it came from. Weak try....nothing special here.

2.05/5  rDev -39.7%

Auburn colored, clear, head was minimal and lacing is so-so. Not what I'd expect from the style.

Aroma is pretty much caramel malts. Flavor follows. There's not much besides sweetness and caramel, perhaps a bit of nuts.

It's like DFH raison d'etre got watered down and turned into a lager. Sicky-sweet and overly caramel.

I'm not real fond of this one.

2.18/5  rDev -35.9%

Poured into a standard shaker.

This beer was given to me by a friend at work. Thanks Mike!

Pours a very dark brown, almost black. At first glance I suspected this was a schwarzbier. One finger head quickly dissipates. Aroma of sweet malts pulls through with very little else. No real roastiness or underlying aromas, just sweet malt with a buttery character.

Taste is exactly what I could expect from the smell. No bitterness and a cloyingly sweet lingering taste on the back of my tongue.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are average. Not a lot to say about this one, not something I would ever purchase, but I may down a few of these if I came across them at a tailgate.

Not recommended.

2.2/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Deep, amber brown pour with a quickly disappearing tan head.
Rich, chocolate, low hopped porter like scent.
Broadly sickly-sweet, with an off tartness on the sides of the tongue. Blechhh! Deep, roasted aftertaste is the only redeeming value.
All I can say about the mouthfeel besides "subtle carbonation" is slimy.
Too damn sweet and that tartness is very offputting. Definitely won't have two.

2.2/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This poured a dark red color with very little head. It looked like a cherry coke! There is a malty taste at first but I was left with a flavor that I couldn't quite put my finger on. My mouth became very very dry. I felt as though I needed another beer just to moisten up my mouth. This may have convinced me not to try anything else from Dixie Brewing. I have yet to see anything that constitutes real beer from them!

2.31/5  rDev -32.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. The beer pours a small head, that is, although small, long sustaining. There's some nice lacing around the edge. It pours a dark amber color. The appearance is, unfortunately, my favorite part of this beer. It has a bit of a smoky odor to it, with just a bit of an alcohol scent underneath. Not a whole lot of taste here, maybe a slight bit of nut somewhere in here. It has a light mouthfeel, which adds to a pretty high drinkabililty. I could drink these all day and if this style is your thing (obviously, it's not really mine), this would make a pretty great session beer.

2.32/5  rDev -31.8%

Clear, dark brown with big tan foamy head with poor retention and lacing. Roasted lager aroma. Roasted flavors with light sweetness. Thin feel with sharp carbonation.

Not much in taste or feel but hey, it’s an easy drinking sweet beer that anyone could like.
There's really not much else to write.

2.4/5  rDev -29.4%

Pours up dark cola brown with red notes. The short head immediately settles to a thin, patchy film and gives up just miserly spots by way of lace.

Sweet, dark raisiny nose, sugary malt - and yeah - just a hint of the hop in the background.

Surprisingly thin bodied for a dark beer. Thin sugary taste, spritzy sting on the palate. Too much like doing a sweetish bottle of mineral water.

Not particularly memorable a brew.

2.41/5  rDev -29.1%

Reviewed from notes.

Poured out a coppery amber in color with partial haziness and a short collar of sand colored head. Smells like partially burnt stale coffee mixed with a roasted porter-like malt profile, no real hopping detected in the nose. I really wish the coffee aroma (and flavor) was fresher. Flavor has the aforementioned stale burnt coffee with a squeeze of prune puree and a strange sort of off-putting acidity that rises up with the strangely-sweet for the style finish. Body is relatively watery and thin. I'm not really a big fan of this one. Seems as though it could use more hopping or at least a lower acridity level.

2.43/5  rDev -28.5%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a dark brown with no head at all. Nose is a bit smokey and a bit boozy but not too much.

Taste is a bit odd, got some smokiness and light boozy, it also has that home brew wheaty twang too it. Not super drinkable because of this.

2.43/5  rDev -28.5%

A - Poured from a bottle into a chalice. Half finger of head. Dark red amber coloring.

S - Smells of bready, biscuity malts with a little bit of hop notes.

T - Hard to put a finger on the taste. Malty, dark fruits, apricot, syrup, caramel, not much hop flavor.

M - Full bodied and smooth with a little zest in the throat from the carbonation.

O - I expected more black from this "blackened" lager. Tastes were hard to define. Seems like a beer stuck between styles.

2.48/5  rDev -27.1%

Basically an ordinary American micro solution to an ordinary German Beer. I usually like the finess and quality of German Lagers but the Munich Dunkels usually don't contain the maltiness and robustness to significantly stand out. Blackened Voodoo is even less so. Weak, thin appearance with a dainty white head that falls quickly. Overcarbonated and everso sligh malty sweet scent. No hops in the nose and less toasty or caramel aromas than desired. Taste is too subtle to be appreciated. Thin and watery to the palate. Hopped only to offset sweetness. Minor sweetness remains for only seconds into the aftertaste. In my opinion, a sub-par beer for the flavors and consistency that I like in a German Dunkel, but an easy drinking beer.

2.51/5  rDev -26.2%

This one pours out almost black with amber hues. It has a one ince light tan head that laces and retains well.
The aroma has tones of toffee with some hops hidden in the background; it is not very inviting.
The flavor starts out a bit sour with a malty sweet base with a fruity character as well. There are also some hops near the finish.
Mouth feel is medium in body and is actively carbonated.

2.52/5  rDev -25.9%

This beer pours out nicely; lots of sticky head and a pretty unique clear brassy color. Aroma is where things start to go wrong; smells are cerealy and a bit composte-like. Flavor is a bit malty and rather coppery. Not bad, just not great; not super-clean nor crisp, and there's nothing really redeeming there that is also interesting. This beer is no abomination, it's just nothing to write home about.

I would not recommend this beer, but because there is a world of superior alternatives.

I believe I got this bottle at 3 Cellars in Franklin, WI.

2.53/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Dark brown beer. Even dark brown than a porter I just had. I don't think I should have read an earlier review. There is definitely something unpleasant in the smell. The auto suggestion ( from the other review ) of vomit was impossible for me to get by. There might be something else there but I could not get to it. The first mouthful was awful It tasted of week old dish water. Insueing tastes brought forward more of the sweet and roasted malt flavors that I remembered from years past. But either my tastes have changed, which is highly likely, or this is a pale version of the beer I once loved. I think their water filtering and softening set up has gone bye bye. I drank half a bottle while doing this review and threw the rest out.

2.54/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This is the first time I have had this beer since becoming a BA, and I only drink it at a Cajun restaurant where the choices are Dixie, Abita, and BMC beers. I was beginning to dislike it a bit before I became a BA, even more so now.

Pours a nice redish brown color, but with little head, maybe 1/4 a finger. Smell is not pleasant - oversweet with some aroma I couldnt place at first. Offputting. The taste is better than the smell, but now I know what the aroma is. Caramelization. Lots and lots. Way too much in fact. This beer isnt malty, its caramelly. Despite the taste, the mouthfeel is about right, and the beer isnt completely undrinkable. I didnt have a 2nd though. At one time, I liked this beer a lot more than I do now.

2.58/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

My recent discovery that I don't like Munich malts sheds a lot of light on my rating for this brew.

Looks like cola, transparent but deep mahogany brown. Very little cola like head quickly dies to a smear of frothy film. Sweet, slight rotten and roasted malty notes in the nose.

Some coffee bitter malt followed by a sweet biscuity maltness. Very light hop profile overpowered by more bitter malt. Moderate to light body and delicate carbonation.

I picked this sixer up purely becauase I don't know if I will be able to buy this beer ever again. I'm glad I tried it, but I did give the last five bottles and the case away to a friend who collects six-packs. They weren't worth drinking by my standards and I'm pretty sure four of these bottles will make it into his collection with the top on. I'm glad to have this bottle in my collection, but I won't drink this beer again.

2.59/5  rDev -23.8%

The pour was dark copper/brown with a half inch beige head that quickly dissapated and left a light lace on top of the beer that held on throughout the drink

The smell a light malt with a skunky overtone.

The drink started with a watery tone that continued through the middle. It finished with a light hop bite but it left no after taste.

It carried great refreshment and drinkablility but I was just expecting more body. Maybe I got an old or bad bottle. I'll have to try this one again and see if the next bottle is the same way.

2.63/5  rDev -22.6%

Spotted this beer at the Qwik Stop in Clemson, SC and it looked appealing
A: Pours a rich mahogany/brownish color, I guess "raisin" would be the most accurate word to describe the color. The head is slightly off-white, very carbonated, and retains poorly. No lacing.

S: When I first poured this brew, I noticed metallic notes primarily, as well as sweet molasses, raisins, apricot, and perhaps figs and dates. Overall, I would say the initial nose is sweet and dark fruity. As the head settles, the nose does too (a little surprising)...caramel and roasted malts become noticeable.

T: Eh...what a disappointment! Very piss-poor flavor profile. The carbonation is overwhelming and the roasted malt notes are SWAMPED by the amount of water that this brew contains. The few notes that I could pick off were caramel, molasses, roasted malts, and metal.

MF/D: Also piss-poor. Super watery, NO body to this brew, but I will admit that this beer will work if the name of the game is a chugging contest.

Although this brew is the first Dixie beer that I've tried, I dont think Ill be coming back to this brewery. It is an appealing label and has a unique name, but there is really NO body to this brew...

2.65/5  rDev -22.1%

Daddy pours out a solid two fingers of almost white head atop a dark amber concoction....

Strange, when I put my nose truly deep into my glass I get a belgian candy smell plugging my nostrils, a mash and malt scent rising with some grain characters

Some bitter chocolate and, light caramel tones on the tongue. Not too much else

Good medium body with matching carbonation, no booze burn

Sure you could drink it, it isn't off-putting, just sort of blah
I'm not entirely sure what the point of this beer is. It is named like a 40oz malt beverage, tastes like a weak black lager and has a historical significance behind it but I really do not know what it is telling me and I would recommend you skip it.

2.65/5  rDev -22.1%

Musty malt smell with a hint of roast malt. Not a lasting head at all. Just a slight off white lace is let after the initial pour. Dark brown opeque look. Weaker slightly watery sweetish taste. There is also just the slightest bitterness to the finish on the back of the tongue. This bitterness resembles bitter plum. Light mouth. Was ok but not really impressive to my mouth.
Cheers to budgood for the sample!

Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager from Dixie Brewing Co.