Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager - Dixie Brewing Co.

Dixie Blackened Voodoo LagerDixie Blackened Voodoo Lager

Dixie Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States

Schwarzbier |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 08-10-2001)
View: Beers (3) |  Events

01-01-2014 00:08:57 | More by soupieman
GMB

Japan

3.51/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A standard pour of Dixie's Blackened Voodoo Lager yields a nut-brown body that turns crimson when held up to a ceiling lamp. The brew doesn't offer much by way of foam or lacing, but a thin ring of oatmeal fizz does nestle into the groove around the edge of the brew. Carbonation is mild and appealing.

The nose is weak. Faint notes of caramel and molasses are appreciable, but just barely.

What the taste lacks in complexity, it makes up for in appeal. Light brown sugar dominates, complemented by browned butterscotch, toasted biscuit, and some dried Turkish apricot. The flavors aren't intense; this is a light, drinkable dunkel. In fact, it's so drinkable that I've just noticed I'm more than half way through. The mouthfeel isn't as thin as I had feared, and nicely complements the beer's flavor profile.

BeerAdvocate lists this beer as a Schwarzbier. But considering the lack of roasted flavors (e.g., coffee, chocolate) that are associated with Schwarzbiers, I think it makes more sense to consider Blackened Voodoo Lager as a sweet, all-malt Munich Dunkel. Enjoy it with jerk chicken or creole shrimp.

12-31-2013 22:16:27 | More by GMB
ssteakley

Washington

3.83/5  rDev +13.3%

The waiter at Hwy 99 Blues Club suggested this one to me, drank straight out of the bottle so was not able to see the color. Boy was I surprised when I got home and found out it was from Louisiana. Ales are my Norm but I enjoyed this interesting Voodoo. Perhaps it was the setting of the Blues Club but I enjoyed this Brew and will look for it again.

12-30-2013 01:07:08 | More by ssteakley

canawler

11-17-2013 01:15:12 | More by canawler
StoutHunter

2.78/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

I picked up a bottle of Dixie Brewing Company's Blackened Voodoo Lager last month for $1.75 at Boyne Country Provisions. I've never heard of this brewery before and I didn't know it was available in Michigan, but I thought I would take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label isn't that great looking, it's just got a cheesy look to it. It poured a fairly clean and a somewhat lighter brown color that took on a ruby and crimson hue when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of off white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and left some spotty lacing behind. This is a decent looking Schwarzbier, but I thought the color was a pretty light for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of malts that impart a toasted, grainy, sweet malt and brown bread like aroma with some caramel and toffee aromas seeming to stick out the most. Up next came a somewhat lighter dark fruit aroma. I wasn't big a fan of the aroma, it wasn't bad, but it didn't fit into the style well.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a pretty high amount of medium sweetness that bordered on being highly sweet and it's followed by loads of malts that imparts all the aspects that I got in the aroma with caramel and toffee still sticking out the most and there's also just a slight roasty flavor, but it's barely noticeable. Up next come a light dark fruit flavor with a slightly higher amount of low bitterness with a malty, caramel, and toffee like aftertaste. The taste was a little disappointing, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't that true to style.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, on the slightly lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation that was slightly prickly. The mouthfeel was decent, but it was slightly over carbonated.

Overall I wasn't a big fan of this beer and I didn't think it was a good example of the style, it wasn't a bad beer, but it wasn't what I expected from the style and to me it tasted more like a brown ale or a bock, I think it missed the mark for the style. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was smooth and not too filling, but the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention and I think one would be enough for me, I have no urge to drink another one in a row. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel and appearance, they weren't the greatest but they still wound up being the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was how off it was for the style, this beer doesn't even compare to the last two Schwarzbier's I had and I don't think I would guess the correct style if I tried it blindly. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I wouldn't recommend it as a good Schwarzbier since I don't feel like it does a good job representing the style. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer and it didn't make for a good first impression for Dixie Brewing company, it was pretty a forgettable especially for the style. Better luck next time guys, this beer need some major work. Of the the three Schwarzbier's I've tried this week this one was the worst and it wasn't even close.

11-16-2013 04:38:41 | More by StoutHunter

Kansas

11-13-2013 03:28:34 | More by jaydoc
mikerems

11-11-2013 14:42:25 | More by mikerems
Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager from Dixie Brewing Co.