Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager - Dixie Brewing Co.

Dixie Blackened Voodoo LagerDixie Blackened Voodoo Lager

Dixie Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States

Schwarzbier |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 08-10-2001)
2.9/5  rDev -14.2%

I decided to try this beer for the same reason as sopor did; I may never be able to have it again. I hate when the little guys go under or get devistated by an act of God. Nonetheless, on to the beer: Poured out to a dark red/brown color with a respectable quarter inch head of cream colored foam. Medium low carbonation. Smell was somewhat caramel like with some faint malt overtones. Taste is straightforward and rather one dementional. Flavors of slighty smoked malt and some dark chocolate towards the finish. Nothing amazing. Mediocre mouthfeel was a bit on the watery and weak side. this brew is miles beyond most macros and has a place in the beer world. Even though it isn't the best beer in the world, lets hope that Dixie, along with those hit by Katrina recover from the devistation. Worth a try, if you can find it.

Frozensoul327, Sep 20, 2005
2.55/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

My recent discovery that I don't like Munich malts sheds a lot of light on my rating for this brew.

Looks like cola, transparent but deep mahogany brown. Very little cola like head quickly dies to a smear of frothy film. Sweet, slight rotten and roasted malty notes in the nose.

Some coffee bitter malt followed by a sweet biscuity maltness. Very light hop profile overpowered by more bitter malt. Moderate to light body and delicate carbonation.

I picked this sixer up purely becauase I don't know if I will be able to buy this beer ever again. I'm glad I tried it, but I did give the last five bottles and the case away to a friend who collects six-packs. They weren't worth drinking by my standards and I'm pretty sure four of these bottles will make it into his collection with the top on. I'm glad to have this bottle in my collection, but I won't drink this beer again.

sopor, Sep 18, 2005
3.35/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a dark amber brown with a nice fluffy head. This may be my last chance to review a beer from Dixie since they were having financial troubles even before Katrina. Sweet, malty aroma with just a little faint coffee notes in the background. Tastes just like it smells, sweet & malty with nice chocolate and caramel notes. Good beer, I hope Dixie can make a come back.

clemtig76, Sep 10, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +35.5%

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison. My thoughts go out to the brewers and all the people of New Orleans.

Pours a dark black with ruby highlights and an off-white head. Nose is big and malty up front with some coffee and chocolate notes. Taste was surprisingly complex for a lager - grainy malts, bitter coffee grounds, sweet chocolate and dark fruity notes. All the flavors are subtle, but there's a nice balance of toasty/bready notes and bittersweet coffee/chocolate. Mouthfeel is nice and velvety smooth, with a rich body for a lager. Supremely drinkable, reminds me of a cross between an American porter and a schwarzbier. I really enjoyed this one, sad to think that it's probably the last time I'll ever have it.

Golden2wenty1, Sep 06, 2005
2.95/5  rDev -12.7%

Light and easy drinking. Drinkable like, well, BMC brew. Very dark color, dark tiny head, way under carbonated, thin body. You can taste the caramel malts, maybe some chocolate or coffee. Very light on the citrus hops, but you know they're there. Nothing to write home about, but I can see how you could pick up a six pack if the price was right.

charlesw, Aug 15, 2005
3.2/5  rDev -5.3%

Sampled bottle while bottling my IPA homebrew. Poured a midnight black color with a healthy brown fluffy head. Some lacing of the head. Sweet malty smell. First taste has a slight hint of chocolate taste, then finishes with malt flavor. Overall a good beer.

buckiflyer, Jul 20, 2005
2.5/5  rDev -26%

Basically an ordinary American micro solution to an ordinary German Beer. I usually like the finess and quality of German Lagers but the Munich Dunkels usually don't contain the maltiness and robustness to significantly stand out. Blackened Voodoo is even less so. Weak, thin appearance with a dainty white head that falls quickly. Overcarbonated and everso sligh malty sweet scent. No hops in the nose and less toasty or caramel aromas than desired. Taste is too subtle to be appreciated. Thin and watery to the palate. Hopped only to offset sweetness. Minor sweetness remains for only seconds into the aftertaste. In my opinion, a sub-par beer for the flavors and consistency that I like in a German Dunkel, but an easy drinking beer.

BEERchitect, Jun 28, 2005
3.68/5  rDev +8.9%

Amongst the crowds of BMC drinkers last night in Uptown Charlotte, a haven of hope was found at the Fox and the Hound, with their 40+ bottle selection. I went with the Blackened Voodoo as a final brew for the evening, thinking this would take me a while to finish and feel full. Almost too easy to drink, maybe because I thought this was a porter or possibly a stout while pouring. Nice head and lacing, hints of caramel and nuts. Better name and label than drink itself, though.

Backer2004, Jun 12, 2005
2.98/5  rDev -11.8%

This brew pours a murky amber-brown while emitting a modest size head which is quickly gone.
Smell is mild sweet caramel and the very faintest trace of hops.
Taste begins with a faint toffee note paired with a subtle hop background and finishes with dry leather. There really isn't much to this beer. Finishes a bit thin and watery for my tastes. Quite a drinkable beer, but definitely not worth the price of admission.

sinistermadman, Jun 05, 2005
2.35/5  rDev -30.5%

Pours up dark cola brown with red notes. The short head immediately settles to a thin, patchy film and gives up just miserly spots by way of lace.

Sweet, dark raisiny nose, sugary malt - and yeah - just a hint of the hop in the background.

Surprisingly thin bodied for a dark beer. Thin sugary taste, spritzy sting on the palate. Too much like doing a sweetish bottle of mineral water.

Not particularly memorable a brew.

TerryW, May 03, 2005
3.35/5  rDev -0.9%

First of all... thanks to Biglove for hooking me up!
The "Voodoo" poured beautifully dark but with very little head. It has a deep, deep coffee coloring with hints of ruby red.
The smell is very sweet and fruity. It's hard to pick out but I can faintly smell some hops in there and a touch of malt.
Tastes mostly of molasses, roasted fruit, and toasted malts with the molasses pretty much dominating. The finish is sweet and dry.
Mouthfeel - Pretty thin and unimpressive. Considering how this beer looked I expected more in this category.
I would probably only want one or two of these in a sitting, they're kind of hard to work through because of the dominating sweetness.

Chadbrew, Apr 15, 2005
4.53/5  rDev +34%

Appears deep deep black with ruby highlights. Very impressive head for this beer. Aroma is that of caramel. Taste is rich for a lager, some chocolate notes there as well. I really enjoy this beer. Perhaps it's due to the fact that I first found it off of Bourbon Street, after a few days of drinking American Adjunct Lager, and it was a welcome break. Very non-offensive. Very clean, and good. I'm glad it's finally distributed into Michigan.

deejaydan, Mar 01, 2005
3.28/5  rDev -3%

Pours a very dark brown with burgundy highlights and a thin head. Aroma is thin and syrupy malty, like a dopplebock.

Taste is malty and sweet, more bock flavors. Roasty, dark caramel, some dark fruit, very little bitterness. Flavors like a watered-down Salvator or something in that same family. Finish is clean and dry, no off flavors.

Mouthfeel is thin but pleasant, very drinkable. Not an incredible beer but not bad. I'd call it a schwartzbier, only a touch lighter.

assurbanipaul, Jan 31, 2005
1.9/5  rDev -43.8%

Very dark amber, bordering on black. I must say that this has got to be some of the shittiest bottle art that I've ever seen, but a good pour makes up for that.

Smells overpoweringly of sweet fruit. Kind of like a dubble, only not complex: plums and raisins and nothing else.

Tastes very much like it smells. A natural sweetness, plummy. A strange solvent taste in the middle, leaving nothing at the back. Unbalanced.

Well, this little number turned out to be a waste of money. Tastes like a fruitcake, only less complicated.

mynie, Jan 19, 2005
3.73/5  rDev +10.4%

The image of some bizarre, haunted lagoon on the lable makes me think that it was designed by some goth kid or a Uriah Heep fan who had too many bad trips. It poured black--black like my soul--with waning redness. There was no head retention to speak of. The smell was rather sweet, though. Swiss cheese (slightly smokey) and light cinnamon were evident. The subsequent cheese taste was *almost* overpowering. This took some getting used to, for me, but I began to enjoy it about a third of the way through. This is a very solid choice if you're looking for something different, but not risky.

Opethsprite, Jan 04, 2005
3.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This was a deep red-brown lager with a low head, that didn't take too long to fade away. Not much lacing.

The aroma was of roasted dark malts. Very nice.

The taste was of roasted dark malt, but it was not overpowering. It seemed a bit thin. Still drinkable though, and I'd go for another if it were available.

connecticutpoet, Nov 17, 2004
3.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours out chocolate amber and sits deep crimson in the glass with a small off-white head, fading to the sides leaving little skim.

Smells sweet and malty. Apples, pears and other fruity esters. Light roastedness and coffee notes. Lightly tangy in the back.

Tastes sweet up front with caramel and fuity esters. Traces of raspberries and some hoppiness enters in between, but is mild and well controlled. Finishes lightly bitter with lingering sweetness.

Medium body with mild, yet powerful carbonation. Smooth and clean. Easy to drink, refreshing. Nice dark lager.

Skidz, Oct 19, 2004
2.55/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This is the first time I have had this beer since becoming a BA, and I only drink it at a Cajun restaurant where the choices are Dixie, Abita, and BMC beers. I was beginning to dislike it a bit before I became a BA, even more so now.

Pours a nice redish brown color, but with little head, maybe 1/4 a finger. Smell is not pleasant - oversweet with some aroma I couldnt place at first. Offputting. The taste is better than the smell, but now I know what the aroma is. Caramelization. Lots and lots. Way too much in fact. This beer isnt malty, its caramelly. Despite the taste, the mouthfeel is about right, and the beer isnt completely undrinkable. I didnt have a 2nd though. At one time, I liked this beer a lot more than I do now.

rlcoffey, Oct 06, 2004
2.1/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Deep, amber brown pour with a quickly disappearing tan head.
Rich, chocolate, low hopped porter like scent.
Broadly sickly-sweet, with an off tartness on the sides of the tongue. Blechhh! Deep, roasted aftertaste is the only redeeming value.
All I can say about the mouthfeel besides "subtle carbonation" is slimy.
Too damn sweet and that tartness is very offputting. Definitely won't have two.

nortmand, Oct 05, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours a dark mahogany, topped with a one finger creamy khaki head, coppery red at the edges. Leaves rings of lace, and it's best when poured a little hard.
Sweet, malty and molasses aroma.
Nice malty taste, some citrus and pine, toffee, red grapes and cherries. Pretty sour for the style.
Light to medium bodied.

mschofield, Oct 01, 2004
3.4/5  rDev +0.6%

Someone I know drove all the way to New Orleans from Boston and all I got was this measly black lager. Actually it's a whole lot better than a crappy t-shirt or magnet.
This beer has a strong coffee like appearance with some burgundy hues and the same could be said for the taste. A bitter, hoppy burn contributes well to the rich , smokey flavor. Hints of caramel, chocolate and espresso collide in my mouth. The flavor is stout-like, while the mouthful is distinctly lager. The aftertaste is sweet and very smokey, but particularly faint compared to what you'd expect from a beer this dark. I probably couldn't drink this stuff every day, but the uniqueness of this brew is definitely worth a try or two.

GDMFSOB, Sep 11, 2004
3.75/5  rDev +10.9%

appearance: pours a murky ruby color. very dark in the center almost like motor oil with a deep red around the edges of my pint glass. relatively small in the head department which eventually subsides into non-existence.

smell: tons of malt, slight hoppy undertone to cut but extremely faint. reminds me of a dopplebock except a touch hoppier. a running theme. also has a slight tinge of alchohol.

taste: reminds me of dopplebock's. specifically troegenator. has alot of that german malt character then is cut in the finish with a nice dry hop flavor. as the aroma insisted, there's a touch of alchohol in the flavor.

mouthfeel: as you would assume from the head and lacing (lack there-of) it's very light in the mouth. only heaviness is taste of malt. otherwise not much to say. pretty watery and doesn't coat the mouth that well. lingering aftertaste none the less.

drinkability: i'm actually enjoying these. it's not too much of any one thing but when you put it all together it's quite pleasant. good session beer if you like dark or malty brews.

notes: this is my first of this style. my first reaction is this is some sort of german porter. maltiness of dopplebocks but nowhere near as rich and malty. not nearly as complex either. if this sounds typical of the style then A+

edit: about the ABV. it's not posted so it's hard to assume. from smell and taste i would guess it's above the 5% mark making it above average in that department and that's a conservative estimate.. to add to that assumption; i've had two and i'm a touch light headed. very abnormal for me for only having two.

emericanchaos, Aug 27, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured out a dark reddish-brown with a big, 2" tan head that dropped to 1/2" over two minutes. Looking very much like a rich brown ale.
Smell is not very noticeable but I did pick up a malty sweetness and a slight hint of what I believe was cherry.
Taste is much more pronounced with malt, hops (though not too heavy), light but noticeable coffee, and finally, smoke at the end that carried over to the aftertaste.
Mouthfeel was smooth, medium bodied, not as carbonated as most lagers - a good thing - and warming in the throat.
While I'm not normally a lager drinker, to me, this is a very good beer, probably because it is so different from most lagers. The hops was nicely restrained while still present, making for a well-balanced and easily quaffable brew. I will definitely have this again and am looking forward to having it on tap.

PorterLambic, Aug 24, 2004
3.68/5  rDev +8.9%

This is some pretty good stuff. Appearance is almost pitch black, head is medium height and tan. Nose is very malty, with a smell that reminds me of molasses. Taste is all malt, with a strong molasses taste. Taste was slightly cloying the first time I tried Blackened Voodoo, but tonight it seems fine. Maltheads should really enjoy this beer. I found this to be a very good brew, but not something I would go crazy over.

Gagnonsux, Aug 23, 2004
3.68/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a deep brown with a hint of ruby red and a nice one-finger tan head. Nice aroma of roasted malt with hints of coffee and molasses. Sweet malt dominates the pleasant palate, which is accented by toffee and a little bit of oak. Nice, creamy mouthfeel precedes a dry finish. Today was maybe a little too hot to properly enjoy a darker beer, but I liked it just fine.

ElGordo, Jul 11, 2004
Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager from Dixie Brewing Co.