Dixie White Moose - Dixie Brewing Co.

Dixie White MooseDixie White Moose

Ratings: 19 | Reviews: 14
Reviews by DrunkenPanther:
1.77/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Ok, as another reviewer mentioned, as a beer, this is a bad idea. Tastes like soda. Sweet, caramel vanilla taste. Pretty bad.
That said, there is a drink here in Pittsburgh that is made with Dixie WHite Moose (Not sure, it may be done elsewhere) that makes this beer amazing. Blend 1/2 bottle Dixie White Moose and a Guiness or milkstout. We call the Guiness Shakes. Makes a wonderful creamier, vanilla tasting Guiness/milkstout. Might not sound wonderful, but it does taste wonderful.

1.03/5  rDev -36.4%

I could give this a formal review (aroma like Betty Crocker cake mix, tastes like some sort of plastic, aftertaste like I don't wanna think about), but its nastiness deserves more. My friend Randy and I tried this and it inspired us to song (to the tune of "White Rabbit"):

One beer is a crimson and one a voodoo doll
And the white one Dixie gives you, isn't any beer at all.
Go drink White Moose, the bottle's just small...

And if you go off the beer list, and you know you're going to fall
Tell them a hookah smoking Pop'n Fresh has given you the call
To drink white moose, you'll feel ten feet tall

The moose smiles from the label, gets up and tells you where to go
And you just drank some kind of cake mix, and your mind is moving slow
Ask Betty Crocker, I think she'll know

When hopcones and malted barley have fallen softly dead
And the white moose makes you talk backward, and the white beer's got no head
Remember what the barmaid said
There's no head
There's no head

2.3/5  rDev +42%

As I would normally pass something like this by, I for some unexplained reason had to give it a sample, thinking how bad could it be?

The pour a limpid golden straw color, the head pertinent in size creamy in its consistency and the lace left behind a thin and delicate sheet. "White Chocolate, sweet the nose and quite appealing, with the start as one would imagine sugary sweet with the top skinny. The sweetness last to the very end, with carbonation minimal and the hops sparse, sweetly dry and most definitely a “Desert Beer”, as it is to me overpoweringly sweet and not as bad as I feared.

1.52/5  rDev -6.2%

This could have been done well. Chocolate and beer mix quite nicely together, so why not try white chocolate? Why not, indeed! The first sign that something is astray comes soon after pouring. The color is a sort of peachy yellow, with a thin, almost non-existent head and sluggish carbonation which suggests an alcohol content higher than it actually is. Looks OK, but then there's the aroma. Considered on its own merits, the aroma is not terrific. Its an extremely rich aroma which, contrary to expectations, is actually dominated more by vanilla than chocolate, with a bit of a caramel note. Rather "extracty" and artificial smelling. Considered as a contribution to the whole beer, though, the aroma just doesn't work at all. It's really quite jarring to get such a rich, chocolatey aroma from such a lightly colored beer. Kind of like hearing the first words from what you thought was an attractive woman and realizing "she's" a cross-dresser. But on to the flavor. This isn't just crap. It's crap with complexity. The beer starts of caramely sweet, and there’s about a half second where this is actually pleasant. Then a very cloying white chocolate flavor kicks in. Very artificial tasting. Strong vanilla extract flavor to the finish, and an aftertaste which lingers like a drunken guest at a house party. Best thing about this beer: only 7 ounces to a bottle. Still too much for me though, the last 3 went down the drain.

1.18/5  rDev -27.2%

Back in the day, I had somewhat of a fetish for seven ounce bottles, rarely passing them up when I encountered them on a shelf. This one was (regrettably) no exception. Poured an amber color with no head whatsoever. Aromas of light malt, milk and white chocolate frosting. Not appealing at all. Medium bodied, with flavors of imitation white chocolate and milk. Truly not good; I hated this one.

1.03/5  rDev -36.4%

Presentation: The last of the four Dixie beers that I spied, and picked up from my local store. This was more of “Curiosity Beer” that I picked up for some unknown reason. Unlike the others this comes in a 7 fluid ounce (207 ml) bottle – which is a blessing in disguise actually. The label is pure chocolate white with a picture of rather dapper dressed Moose stood upright resting on a walking cane.

Appearance: Pours with a light straw golden colored body, not much of a head at all. Looks like a flat Lite Beer.

Nose: As Mr. Creosote said, “better, better bring me a bucket I think I’m gonna be sick……” Horrid, sickly-sweet candy chocolate odors – urghhh…..

Taste: Oh, Oh, like drinking a white chocolate Toblerone liquidized with a pound of candy sugar and a quart of full fat Vanilla flavored Milk. More of a liqueur, than a beer. Awful.

Mouthfeel: Smooth coating melted Milk Chocolate that solidifies in the mouth as it cools – crack this one off the cheeks if you can.

Drinkability: It may have only been a 7 fluid ounce bottle, but I battled through this offering. Only a Stone Ruination IPA could get rid of the residuals this beer leaves behind.

Overall: I will long remember this – the next time I see a “curiosity beer” that I decide on picking up in the beer store. Why did I pick this up? I knew it would be this bad, but I still did it!!!! Duh! Probably the second worst beer that I have ever had.

1.25/5  rDev -22.8%

Ginger ale looking body topped by a thin, white mouse (pun intended). Plasticy, cream soda nose. Much thinner in the mouth than expected and not much carbonation to make me say that it was refreshing. Taste-wise, it was pretty much the same as it smelled. The only difference was that the plastic was replaced by metallic flavors through and though. I could easily forget that I was drinking something called beer and convince myself that I had 3.5 oz (shared with my girlfriend) of 3 year old store brand cream soda. There was some bitterness to balance the sweetness. I really don’t think it was from hops, though. IMO the folks at Dixie should have left this bittering agent out. My last few sips revealed hints of lightly toasted malt.

Interesting brew indeed.

1.12/5  rDev -30.9%

This brew has inspired my poetic side:
On a whim tried something new
Looks and smells and tastes like pooh
Odor of vanilla and caramel sweet sick
Should check the reviews before I pick.
I should've known better than to buy a brew that advertises a chocolate flavor but is light in color.

1.06/5  rDev -34.6%

Good Lord!!!! This is a beer to serve your enemies. Got a case at cut-rate prices about 8 years ago, and found it one of the most loathsome substances on God's green Earth!!!! After a few, I would play a game by slipping it into coolers at BBQs and other parties. Most of the unwitting consumers immediately realized their mistake. Some people that like the taste of Uber-artificial "white chocolate" actually liked the product (although I passed this off as being some kind of taste psychosis). YUCK!!!!
[But to be fair, the color isn't too off-putting...]

No idea when and/or where purchased. Cracked this one open with Purplecloud.

A: amber, clear color, nothing offensive
S: definitely chocolate, sweet but more milk chocolate, for what it is not bad
T: tastes like a chocolate-liquor with no alcohol, sweet, no hops, but it is a beer, again, for its title it is what it is
M: very sweet
D: not very with the amount of sweetness but not bad in a small amount

1.09/5  rDev -32.7%

Appearance:

Pours an off colored straw with a faint white head from the 7 oz. bottle

Smell:

Bottle says natural and artificial flavors, and all I get from the nose is an artificial sickly sweet chocolate aroma that is somewhat nauseating.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Not sure what to say about this one, other than it is quite gross. Disgustingly sweet with a vaguely chocolate like taste to it. 1 sip is more than I could or would ever want. Very upset I bought the 4 pack.

This stuff was not nearly as bad as I had expected. I mean it is not a beer, or anywhere near what I consider "beer" to be. It's a sickly sweet smelling, cheap kahlua flavored liquor really. But for what it is, it ain't that bad. My g/f seemed to liked it, but even she was getting tired of it after a few sips. I mean one sip is all you need to "experience" this stuff. As a syrup topping, or a cheap liquor this isn't that terrible, but as a beer, it get's a big fat ZERO!

I'm not sure if profanity is tolerated on this site. But I need to use it. This beer is the fucking worst bottle of liquid shit that exists. Corona is better than this. The smell made me queasy, drinking it made me physically ill. No, I'm not exaggerating. This thing pours a dark piss yellow. No head. Looks thick. Smells sickeningly sweet. Just sweet. Not malt sweet, sugar sweet, candy sweet, just sickeningly sweet. Terrible taste. Reminds me of vomit sprinkled with sugar and cake mix. After two sips, I chucked it. This made me vomit. I felt fine before I had this beer, so it is safe to assume this made me sick. Nobody in the camp wanted it. One guy said it smelled like goat sex. Okay. Mouthfeel? I dunno. It wasn't in my mouth long enough. Undrinkable. Made me vomit, nobody else would drink it, it's undrinkable. Seriously, we need negative points, or at least zero, for beers of this type.

1.95/5  rDev +20.4%

OK, as a beer this was terrible. It is like flat cream soda, feels and tastes NOTHING like what i would think of as beer, including the tons of different styles.

However.... I ended up drinking most of the bottle at Evelyn's house because even though I can't even consider it 'beer', I do love cream soda. I think people were looking at me funny, actually. So as a happy cream soda syrupy drink, it was quite tasty, but as a beer, no good.

to view more.
Dixie White Moose from Dixie Brewing Co.