Begbie Cream Ale - Mt. Begbie Brewing Co.

Begbie Cream AleBegbie Cream Ale

good

Mt. Begbie Brewing Co. visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Cream Ale |  4.70% ABV

Mt. Begbie Brewing's original signature beer, brewed first in 1996. Begbie Cream Ale is a fruity ale with a subtle honey flavour. A delicious, golden ale, delicately fruity, with a subtle honey flavour that finishes with a crisp hop edge.

(Beer added by: canadianbarman on 03-30-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.53/5  rDev -5.4%

650ml bottle served in pint glass.

Pours out a clear, pale gold colour. Off-white head is thin and disappears quickly. Little bubbling present. Later in the beer, as the drink goes down it starts to look flat with it's lack of head and bubbles.

Aroma is mild, but sweet with faint tones of hops.

Mouthfeel is medium, but not as carbonated as I would have expected. Although the beer looks flat as the drink goes down, the light fizzy feeling in the mouth stays the same.

Taste is quite mild. Sweet and lightly fruity at the start fading to a hoppy, slightly bitter aftertaste.

This beer really doesn't jump out and grab me. Instead of a Cream Ale it reminds me of a golden Lager or Honey Lager. Similar to Kokanee Gold. However, it is quite smooth and would make a good session beer. One step above most macros, but a notch down from a good Cream Ale.

Noxious26, Jun 12, 2005
3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a very clear golden colour with a thin white head. Smell is not strong, a bit of a pilsner like hop aroma which is faint, and a bit of straw as well. Not bad, just not a lot there.

I don't find the honey flavour that is mentioned on the bottle, but it does have a sweetness to it. The hop finish makes me think of a pilsner, but the mouthfeel is thicker.

The mouthfeel is nice, very light on the carbonation though, keeping it from being great.

Very drinkable. Nice beer. No major strengths but no weakness either.

elricorico, Jun 01, 2005
3.58/5  rDev -4%

Light copper in colour with a medium amount of carbonation. It’s got a slightly floral aroma, which reminds me of cherry or apple blossoms. Medium bodied with a slightly bready malt character, along with some herbal hop flavors. I'm not really into Cream ales, but this one really impressed me.

fisherman34, May 20, 2005
3.8/5  rDev +1.9%

Another big thanx to Irondjinn for giving me the chance to have a bottle of another great western micro.

A nice pale colour, at first when I poored it, it was a clear golden, then it changed to a more amber reddish colour. A good one that doesnt stay long, but that leave a small lace on it.

A tiny shy smell of hops, nothing much I can perceive.

Taste, crisp, a smooth and crisp at the same time, with a very fruity taste and some note of cereal behind. A spicy note too I can perceive, but not very present, maybe its just my mind playing tricks.

Not my type of beer, but for the style, I must say its a great member of its family

3Vandoo, Feb 05, 2005
3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

650 ml bomber from the Willow park beers store. Pour reveals a deep golden-orangish ale with a nice white cap and good lace. Small bubbled medium carbonation. Aromas of floral maltiness over some citrus hopping and spicy-earthyness. Starts smooth and malty..slightly swee then drys up with citrus hops in the finisg....a very clean drinkable golden ale styled after the cold aged cream ales of yester year.

pootz, Jan 27, 2005
3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

Had tasted this previously and remembered it being good, but was over a year ago and didn't want to review until I got another bottle.
650 ml with picture of Marbew "Hanging Judge" Begbie, 1859 on the label.
Clear honey gold color, had almost no head even with an agressive pour. Not much aroma, just kind of a plain 'beer' smell. Light malt taste, some honey-like sweetness, clean finish, with slight hop bitterness at the end. Well balanced and good tasting, but I did not really think it to be 'creamy' (but I'm not complaining).

Note to Self: Ranked the #10 Cream Ale when I tried it.

BigBry, Jan 15, 2005
4.2/5  rDev +12.6%

--Came in a large 650 ml bottle, with the freshness date marked on the side. I paid $3.49 cdn. Cool picture on label is what caught my eye.
--Poured an 'ice tea' in color. A thin head that turned to some mighty fine lacing. Little bubbling. Smell did not do this beer justice as it was just average.
This was a very, very good beer in my opinion. Everything from the marketing to the bottle and finally to the taste. It was sweet but not overpowering. This is the best cream ale I have had so far. I am looking forward to trying more from Mt. Begbie. Until then I will always have a bottle of this on hand as it makes a good conversation piece when the boys are over for beers. I have a feeling it may help open a few people to the world of beers.
Thx

canadianbarman, Jul 04, 2004
4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

A malty light taste. Delightful with food. 650 ml. bottle among 3 buddies was fine. Honey light colour. Unoffensive almost water pour. Light on cream side more on the hop and malts, and that's what we liked. Great mild aftertaste. Exceptional find, thanks to IronDjinn for sending.

Sammy, Mar 23, 2004
3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

Begbie Cream Ale is honey-coloured, and has vaguely discernible brown hues, but it is indeed much lighter than I thought it would be, even for a cream ale style. It is quite translucent; very clear looking. The head is ample, and very creamy, leaving a lathery, viscous, very attractive lace; yes, some of the best lace I have seen on a beer, although it disappears rapidly. The aroma is delightful, with enough nuances to make me smell deeply on every sip, and still not recognise some of them. First there is a very clean, refreshing smell, just like Mt. Begbie's Tall Timber Ale. It does smell creamy, too, in some way; a vanilla-like, somehow velvety odour, which is possibly the yeast. The actual malt is not overly noticeable, nor is the hop presence, yet the aroma intrigues me very much. The flavour fulfils the smell: creamy, rich and mildy bitter, which is a very pleasant surprise, as it belies the appearance of a beer that looks more like a clear bright lager. If I taste correctly, I can sense some yeast in the middle of the tongue, or a little tartness more prone to a wheat beer. Indeed, I could almost swear there are traces of wheat malt in here. Interesting. A good, detectable, grassy hop finish, but not too much. This ale is dynamic--it is equally refreshing whether consumed on a warm summer day or on a cold winter night. Mt. Begbie continues to impress me.

Cwrw, Feb 02, 2004
3.95/5  rDev +5.9%

A pale straw-yellow apple-juice beer, with a creamy thin head that left lots of lace. The beer itself appears to be quite lightly carbonated, without too much action under that head. It is crystal clear.

I get aromas of some sweetish malt with a hint of hops.

I find a very light grainy flavour with a toasty bready finish. I'm very happy to say that I detect no corn or any other off flavours that are so common in cream ales. It's very clean and there is even a hint of bitterness in the finish. It's a great cream ale.

It's light and smooth, but there isn't much in the way of carbonation. Still, this is easily the best cream ale I've ever had.

Garin, Dec 22, 2003

From a 650ml brown bottle. This is a rather nice looking ale, a very clear orangy-amber, although not much carbonation or head retention. Aroma possesses floral hops and a bit of apricot. Flavour is somewhat malty and fruity, and has a big hop finish, which surprises me for this style, but the hops settle down to a decent balance farther down the glass. All in all a pretty impressive ale, I'd recommend it and will definitely keep my eyes peeled for more. This would make a good sessional.

IronDjinn, Jun 23, 2003

One of the new breed of micros popping up in B.C., Mt Begbie
produces quality beer including less obvious choices such as
a Kolsch and a smoked Porter. This cream ale from them has
a big white head and a mid gold colour. The beer is hoppy for
the style with a good bitterness in the finish. I thought it tasted
more like a pale ale than a mild but I still enjoyed this beer.

canucklehead, Mar 30, 2003
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Begbie Cream Ale from Mt. Begbie Brewing Co.