Tall Timber Ale - Mt. Begbie Brewing Co.

Tall Timber AleTall Timber Ale

good

Mt. Begbie Brewing Co. visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

English Brown Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: lipschitz on 03-30-2003

Tall Timber Ale is a dark, full-bodied English Brown Ale alive with rich malt flavour, caramel undertones and a slight residual sweetness. The use of Goldings finishing hops and an authentic top cropping ale yeast round out the traditional Brown Ale character.
to view more.
Ratings: 53 | Reviews: 34
3.69/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I really enjoy this beer. I'm a fan of brown ales, tall trees and Revelstoke, so enjoying this beer is a "no-brainer". It looks nice, showcases plenty of nut and caramel flavours, and is very easy on the palate. I wouldn't walk 500 miles for it, but given the price and quality, I will always buy it when and where it is available.

My favourite beer. The smoothest Brown Ale I've found. First tasted it on tap at Revelstoke Mountain Resort. Have bought it in 700 ml bottles from stores in BC and Alberta and 350 ml cans directly from the Brewery.

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

Appearance - Pours a dark chocolate brown with a finger width of bubbly, foamy white head.

Smell - Caramalt, nuttiness, sweet plum.

Taste - Strong nutty flavours along with sweet caramel malts. Very well balanced and earthy.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. A little sticky.

Overall - A good representation of a brown ale by Mt. Begbie. I really enjoyed the nutty character and the overall balance of the beer. Worth a try for those who enjoy the brown ale style.

3.15/5  rDev -14.2%

650ml bomber poured into pint glass 7/1/12

A clear dark brownish amber with bubbles as small as pinpricks and large as... large bubbles? short lived finger of cream colored foam leaves no lace

S slightly nutty with some coco, a little grape candy and some dark dry cereal

T what I smell but with a strong iced tea flavor, not bad but not good

M thin and not as well carbonated as I would have guessed from all the visible bubbles, leafy aftertaste

O strange iced tea flavor I could live without and this one just didn't do it for me overall

not offensive but pretty average stuff going on here, I had no problems drinking it but I doubt I'd buy it again

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Bomber from my friend Ron picked up in British Colombia poured a clear reddish brown with a lasting tan head. Aromas of cocoa, earthiness and light carmel. Palate was medium bodied and smooth. Flavors of cocoa, carmel and light nuttiness with a smooth lingering cocoa finish.

Amber red apperance with thick brown head that slowly settles down leaving little lacing. Smell consists of toffee, caramel and roasted nuts. Has a hint of sweetness and malt as well.

Taste is similar to the smell, consists of malt, roasted nuts, caramel, grain and a hint of syrup/toffee. Good combination of balanced dark tastes. Medium bodied with light carbonation. Aftertaste is bitter with a smokey, caramel taste.

Overall, this is a thick beer that ends up being light and refreshing, not a bad take on brown ales. If you come across it, give it a try.

2.98/5  rDev -18.8%

Bomber shared by westcoastbeerlvr on BA. Thanks, Allen, I guess.

Deep clear dark amber color with a small off-white head leaving a thick ring.

Not much on the aroma, more or less just standard caramel and nuttiness.

Decent caramel and chocolate flavor with toast and some nuts. Rather standard.

Fairly thin mouthfeel with average carbonation.

Pretty average overall, not offensive but not too exciting.

3.56/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Fantastic colour, deep amber red. Finger or two of head, but fades quickly to a lacing.

S - Lots of Caramel malt with a bit of roastiness. Maybe it's the power of suggestion from the name, but detecting a woody note.

T - Very malty. Caramel mostly with some dark roasted character. Finishes somewhat sweet.

M - Heavier than some, but still very smooth and drinkable.

D - Drinkable, but finished a bit too sweet.

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

A - Pours a nice copper brown with a ruby red hue, finger of off-white bubbly head with admirable retention, small traces of lacing and nice visible carbonation.

S - Scent is mild, but toffee and caramel malts come through as the most prominent scents.

T - Caramel and coffee malts, with a bit of a mocha finish. Some sour rye dough and bready malts come through on the finish.

M - Bubbles up nicely on the tongue, filling the mouth, and goes down buttery smooth.

D - Quite a nice brown ale with a delicious mix of flavours. Would definitely buy this offering again and would recommended to anyone looking for a reasonably priced, tasty and unique brew.

3.79/5  rDev +3.3%

A - a very deep reddish brown clear colour, decent amount of light tan head that retained okay

S - nutty and caramel malts up front are very pleasing, with maybe a slight hint of peat earthiness along with some sweetness

T - the nuttiness comes through very clearly, there are definite hints of caramel and/or syrupy sweetness, finishing with a mellow taste of earthy grains

M - a little of that chewy dark ale feel but not heavy, a very light feeling of carbonation that is only there for a split second, leaving you with a mellow bready feel

D - nothing mind blowing, but it is a nice offering with some expected but well balanced flavours. And at sub $4 price tag for a 650ml bomber its is definitely worth enjoying.

Note that the bottle has this at 5.2% ABV, not 5.5%

3.44/5  rDev -6.3%

650mL bottle poured into a Weizen glass.

Appearance: Dark mahogany with huge amounts of tan head that lingers until it’s all that’s left. Curtain lacing.

Smell: Nutty. Toasty malts, chocolate, coffee and molasses.

Taste: Uber nutty! You thought the aroma was nutty but the flavor is so dominated by nuts that nothing much else comes though. What does come through is identical to the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Mild carbonation. Medium to heavy bodied. Seems like a very mature brew.

Drinkability: Pretty smooth but too nutty for its name and my personal taste. I find this to be a pretty simple brew.

3.03/5  rDev -17.4%

Bottle: Poured a clear deep amber color ale wit a large off-white foamy head with good retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of deep caramel malt and molasses is more interesting then expected. Taste of also a very nice mix between some caramel malt and light sweet molasses but ending is somewhat weird with some light DMS notes. Body is full for the style with good carbonation. Good and more complex then style would suggest and would have gotten a better rating is it was not for the DMS.

3.35/5  rDev -8.7%

650ml bottle. I rather like the heritage mountain mining town imagery on the label - a workin' man's beer!

This beer pours a clear, fairly dark reddish brown hue, with one fat finger of reservedly foamy, and mostly soapy, bubbly beige head, which leaves a wee ring of lace around the glass as it quickly falls away.

It smells of mildly biscuity caramel malt, with a sweet, oily nuttiness, a subtle hint of dark chocolate, a bit of red grape fruitiness, some ethereal sugar syrup, and plainly fruity, floral hops. The taste is lightly toasted, somewhat edgy caramel malt, a mixed bowl of bar-top nuttiness, grape soda (I know!), a hint of watery raisin that somehow borders on Turkish figs, and earthy, musty, and floral hops.

The carbonation is a bit all over the place up front, even a bit on the high side at times, but eventually settles right out, the body on the lee side of medium weight, and unfortunately average for the style, with a further bit of damning watery essence in its ill-advised attempt at smoothness. It finishes more or less dry, the fruity character not really bringing the sweetness, as the nutty and hoppy essences pull their reins a fair bit tighter.

A decent, adequate, and inoffensive offering, with a middling malt, and understated hoppiness, sure, but nothing memorable enough to warrant me seeking it out again. The sort of thing to put back mindlessly at a party once you've established your non-BMC predilections - been there.

3.06/5  rDev -16.6%

This past Friday night I did a blind tasting of brown ales with my wife, because I figured it was time for me to re-evaluate a style I don't think much of. We each poured samples for the other, noted what was what and then brought out the beers, so while we couldn't taste the same beer at the same time, we were both able to taste without bringing any bias to the table.

The Tall Timber fared okay, but it was my least favourite, because it seemed to lack some of the depth and complexity that the others brought. Its appearance was solid, if actually a tad darker than the other brews, exhibiting a deep mahogany hue, and nice tan head. The aroma is fairly muted, with notes of brown bread and treacle, but most disappointing of all a nasty tinniness that crops up occasionally. The flavours are straightforward sweet malts with some brown break and caramel. Again though, it somewhat spoiled by a flaw, as I keep picking up a sharp edge lurking in the background flavour. The body too, is also inferior to the others. Too light and insubstantial.

It was interesting trying this in comparison to four others because it gave multiple reference points and helped me understand where Mount Begbie stand in the field. Unfortunately I would put them at the bottom. Its not a bad brew, and the drinkability is fine, but there's nothing complex going on, and the presence of the odd flaw distracts from what is otherwise an easy drinker.

Thanks Alex (Voonder) for sending this out. I was glad to include something from out west in this tasting.

3.87/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours very dark ruby brown with almost no head. Smell - malts, some toasted sugar, rye bread. Taste - chocolate malts, toasty, bready, hint of caramel. Great complex stuff. Rich, smooth, almost chewy. Very nice brew, complex and balanced. Drinkability - moderate

3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

I think I tried this 1 before but never reviewed so..

certainly fits the profile of a decent brown ale...quite dark until you hold it up to some light and then the cherry red color become apparent. Tan head was fairly impressive and it left a faint ring as a reminder of it's once glorious presence.

Muted aroma, certainly no in-your-face here boldness. Still some nice floral sweetness with a hint of caramel malt.

Ah the taste...not bad, but certainly weak. Some of the roast malt that makes this a brown ale are there, but something is missing and I can't put my finger on it.

Mouthfeel is OK...but I found it just a touch too fizzy and a tad bit watery.

Worth a try, but there are better NA browns to be had.

3.82/5  rDev +4.1%

Aroma: Brown sugar, raisins, cloves. Root Beer! (that's a first for me). Malt dominated.

Looks: Deep, dark brown with copper highlights. Good sized off-white head. Average head retention. No lace.

Taste: Pecan pie, root Beer, molases. Malty sweet flavours dominate the palate. Roasted pecans.

Mouthfeel: On the lighter side of medium bodied. Light carbonation, which is nice.

Overall, I think this was a great Brown Ale. A sweeter, maltier brown ale. I think this Beer should be cask conditioned... and then delivered to my door. I think that the moderate carbonation was meant to emulate a cask conditioned ale mouthfeel.

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Thanks to lipschitz for this beer sent during canBIF 2007,

Mellow brown color, very light head, dissipates quickly, nice nutty malt aroma, delicious simple malt flavor, hops taste more american than english? Don't matter, its very good.

Not a extreme beer, but definately a fine example of what real beer should look and especialy taste like.

3.45/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Not a huge brown ale fan, I find them hard to get excited about. But it's beer, so into this bottle we go...

Pours a frothy tan head, with retention lasting about a minute before dropping off completely. Color is glassy, ruby-tinted deep brown. Nearly opaque.

Aroma is nutty, with light notes of brown sugar and caramel.

The sweet nutty flavor mingles with a caramel creaminess, some raisin and fig floating around in the back. Juicy at first, but has a very drying finish that makes you long for another sip. The carbonation is moderate, with a thinness in the mouth that isn't necessarily weak or airy.

Not an assertive, unusual, bonkers brown ale...but they usually aren't. I was given this bottle, and enjoyed it, though probably wouldn't go out of my way for it. But in the end it's a solid brew.

3.17/5  rDev -13.6%

I won 2 bottles of this beer as a prize package in a homebrew competition.

UPDATE: After gaining more review experience and sampling the 2nd bottle, I felt the need to update my original review.

650ml bottled served in 20 oz pint glass.

Pours a clear dark brown, light easily passes through which gives off red hues. An agressive pour creates a small head which quickly recedes to a ring. No lacing.

Smell is of sweet malt with a bit of chocolate, no roast detected. Very pleasing.

Taste is similar to smell, sweet carmel malt is up front, which turns to smooth chocolate and then finishes cardboardy-dry.

Low carbonation matches well with the style. Mouthfeel is just about right, anymore and it would be too much for this somewhat sweet beer.

Drinkability is average.

Too sweet with an unpleasing aftertaste. A decent enough brown ale, but really nothing compared to Bushwakkers Sodbuster Brown (by which I judge all others). I don't think I'd want another one of these.

3.42/5  rDev -6.8%

Maybe it's harsh of me to say so after sampling only a few of this brewery's offerings, but I'm inclined to nickname it Mt. Bland-bie.

This is a decent enough, drinkable beer, but there's absolutely nothing about it that would make me reach for it again.

It poured a medium brown colour from the bottle with a two-finger, tan head. Even with the aggressive pour, the head diminished to a thin ring within moments and left no lacing on the glass.

The smell was a nice balance of toffee and malt with just a hint of hops. The taste delivered toasted malts and some coffee bitterness and it had a nice, medium-bodied feel on the palate. It left no aftertaste of any description as it went down — nor any lasting impression on me.

4.28/5  rDev +16.6%

650 ml bottle served in a pint glass.

Clear, medium brown with red highlights. Almost a nice light cherry wood colour. Head is dense and light brown in colour. Head recedes to a tight ring around the edge.

Roasted malts with nutty and sweet highlights dictate the aroma. Some caramel and faint hops in the background.

Richly malted and slightly sweet. Coffee and nutty undertones. As the ale warms a nice warming alcohol aspect pokes through as well as some woody tones. Aftertaste is mildly dry and mainly malt-bitter. As it warms a burnt sugar taste pops up towards the finish and into the aftertaste.

Medium - full bodied delicious mouthfeel. Lightly carbonated.

This is one of the best (if not THE best) Brown Ale I've ever had. The warming alcohol effect later in the glass tends to tone down the drinkability making this more of a sipping brew rather than the sessional ale it makes itself out to be when served colder. None the less, this is a gem found at a small brewery in a small town in the middle of the BC interior.

Note: When I first tried this at the 1999 Harvest Moon Beer Festival, it won the People's Choice award as best in show as selected by the attendees.

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

I suppose I should put it out there from the beginning, that I'm not a lover of brown ales. I will admit to having my opinions of them colored by my first exposure to Newcastle some fifteen years ago, and they haven't really varied much from that first incident: Too sweet. So I rarely, rarely get myself a brown ale. I'm also a little concerned about writing the review right now, as I'd like to be watching the Mariner game, but both TVs are currently occupied ("Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" by the boys, and some show about how to off your husband and have no one be the wiser on A&E). However, I was on holiday on Vancouver Island, shopping in BC Liquors and trying to pick out a healthy selection of beers to bring home, and I grabbed this one (after much internal debate). I'm glad I did.

Appearance: Actually, this beer is lighter than I expected it to be. Colorwise, it occupies a very nice middle ground between a pale and a porter. It's brown. Go figure. The pour was initially rather spastic, so it foamed right up, but I got that under control and managed to finish off the pour with a nice 1" head that stuck around while I let it come up in temperature for a good ten minutes or so, but disappeared quickly after the first sip. As I look at it now, there is still a white ring of foam around the edge, and some lovely carbonation making it's way lazily up the glass. This beer looks incredibly happy to be in my glass.

Smell: Even cold, you can smell the malts. Not cloyingly sweet, but pleasant. As could be expected, they become even more prominent as the beer warms up. No hint of hops at all.

Taste: Oooh, this is smooth. Very nice. Malt at the forefront, a pleasant brown sugar with a slight hint of grainy bitterness in the middle, and then a warming alcohol finish. This is a lovely beer, and tastes bigger than it's 5.5%.

Mouthfeel: This is where the beer falls short. I'd like a little bit more body to this beer. Some velvet to complement that brown sugar. It'd make the balance of this beer magnificent, and raise the grade up to a 4.

Drinkability: Very nice. I probably couldn't do more than two, as I'd become increasingly more bothered by the lack of cohesion between mouthfeel and flavor. But I know my dad could session the crap out of this beer. It is right up his alley.

Good work, Mt. Begbie. I'm impressed.

3.98/5  rDev +8.4%

Another great brew from Mt. Begbie! Pours into my glass a distinct amber-mahogany colour with a fluffy, slightly off-white head. Smell is a nice blend of chocolate, barley malt, hops and nuts. Slight sweetness to the smell.

Good malty taste with a hint of sweetness that reminds me of Ovaltine. Faint hops, hints of nuts. A good blend. My only complaint is that it feels a bit thin compared to Spinnaker's nut brown ale (my current favourite brown ale) but otherwise is a very drinkable ale.

Big thanx to Irondjinn for providing me a sample of this beer.
A very dark amber beer with no head retention, actually the head reminded me of the D-day landing "it came but quicky dissapeared" like me grand-da would say.
Roasted malt smell, with caramel flavours, and a sweetness is there.

Her taste is like her smell, but very very sweet, reminded me of an albino milk stout.

to view more.
Tall Timber Ale from Mt. Begbie Brewing Co.