Blackberry Porter - Cannery Brewing Company

Cannery Brewing Company visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2003

This amazing beer combines the best of all worlds. Five specialty malts and three superior hop varieties have been carefully chosen from the Pacific Northwest, the U.K. and Europe. The malted barleys and hops create a rich, traditional porter. The addition of all natural pure blackberry provides an exciting complexity to this easy sipping wonder. Lean back, relax, and savour the flavour!
1.93/5  rDev -48.9%

650ml bottle poured into a pint glass. ABV 6%.

A - Poured a dark brown with hints of purple. 1cm head. Some lacing.

S - Blueberry muffins and a side of coffee. Smells delicious but it doesn't smell like beer.

T - Blackberries and toasted grains. This is way too fruity.

M - Medium-light body, medium-light carbonation, fruit juice finish.

O - There's no way I could drink this. Drain pour. (394 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -25.4%

While visiting Vancouver, I decided to sample some of the local beers. This beer had a nice look and smell of blackberry and porter, but I was very disappointed by the burnt taste. Some of the other reviews mentioned this, but I felt that the burnt flavor overpowered the rest of the beer and as such the beer lost all balance. Perhaps it was simply this batch? Still, I'm a fairly regular porter drinker and I was disappointed. (428 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -22.5%

Clear, very dark brown with ruby (nearly purple) highlights. A short cap of fine, tan foam emerged from the pour and left behind generous lacing as it fell. Strong berry aroma, very sweet smelling, with notes of malt and dark grains in the background. Definitely on the thin side, both malt and body. Berry dominates the flavour, but there's a dry harshness that appears part way through that's not very pleasant. I wasn't very impressed, but my wife didn't mind it. Thanks wintermute! (485 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -19.8%

My friend Jill picked this up for me at some point. Gotta love a friend who sees an interesting beer and just grabs it for you. Thanks Jill!

From a bomber into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: A very transparent brown pour yields a 1+ finger, medium-thinner looking, light tan head with good retention. Black body with next to zero carbonation evident. Head slowly fades to a full wisp and clings to the top of the glass. A good wisp and ring remain the whole way leaving some decent lacing.

SMELL: Piles of blackberries. Heaps actually. Lighter notes of dark chocolate and roasted, smoky malt, but this is more about the blackberries. One dimensional, but still bold and interesting enough.

TASTE: Dark malts and blackberries. That’s basically it. Some light caramel and sweet malt at the finish, but very little bitterness as balance here. Pretty one dimensional. A touch of roasted and smoky malt with lots of bold blackberries linger on the palate. Flavorful, but very one dimensional.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Light on the palate but creamy enough as well, goes down smooth and finishes dry on the palate. Light, but decently creamy.

OVERALL: An enjoyable beer, especially on a hot summer’s evening, but definitely one dimensional. I wished they’d been able to mesh some other qualities from the base beer into the flavor profile as well. Some will love this the way it is, but I enjoy a little more complexity of flavor. That said, I quite enjoyed this one and would gladly have another. Thanks again for thinking of me Jill! (1,557 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -18.8%

Black beer with ruby highlights pours with a tannish, brown head the disappates quickly. The beer has a very heavy black berry aroma in the nose, kinda like a fresh fruit milk shake, overwhelming any presence of the multiple hops tauted on the label. A good solid malty base, but not much is added to the straight up syrupy fruit taste. The ingredients say fruit flavor, and that's what it tastes like--snocone porter. Not bad really, but the fruity isn't well integrated nor fresh, a personal pet peeve of mine for fruit beers. A light to medium body, a little of the lean and watery side. Still not a bad beer, just not great. Of the Cannery's I've had in tonight's sampling, it was the best. On tap, it might smooth a bit and be more interesting. (749 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -18.5%

650mL bottle poured into a mug.
Appearance: Dark brown. White soapy head. Sparse webbed lacing
Smell: Blackberry pancake syrup. All I could smell was black berry and hops.
Taste: Benylin. That’s the first thing I thought when I took a sip. The blueberry was a bit too much and seemed to overpower everything else.
Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation. Hard to tell about the about much else. For me, the blueberry was just way over done.
Drinkability: Some really good ales come out of this brewery like their Anarchist Ale but this one just falls flat. Maybe if they cut back on the blueberries it would be better. (614 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -15.9%

Appearance: Not totally black, it had some definate brown notes, and the froth on top was salt and pepper.

Smell: Blackberry flavored bubblegum with a side of chocolate milk. Sounds worse than it was, but the fruit aroma seemed a little fake, but it was probably the lactic acid that gave it this characteristic.

Taste: A little thin on the malt side, but the fruit came out much better in the taste, and mixed with the cocoa it was like berries dipped in chocolate. A nice, light dessert Beer. (500 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -14.8%

Tart, watery, not so enjoyable porter. Hey, just notvery drinkable. Too blackberry in aroma, and therefore I suspect artifical. Below average porter. May get through with a large multi-course meal.Bomber at Rudy's in Buffalo on trade with Tim Freely provided by Mustang3. (271 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours an opaque brown with thin off-white head. Spotting lacing around the glass. Smells strongly of the blackberry, without much else. Flavour has lots of blackberry sweetness, with perhaps some tart flavour. It has some of the porter characteristics I expect, but a little bit overwhelmed by the blackberry. I hope more of Cannery's beers find their way to the LCBO because I enjoyed the Maple Stout more when I had it last year. (431 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

a: thin head that lingers for a bit, looks like a typical porter. slight hint of purple. (3.75 I guess...)

s: blackberries are pretty straightforward, like a jelly or jam. some breadiness.

t: follows the nose, but more bready, a bit earthy

m: a little thin, medium carbonation. no alcohol at all.

o: im bored so i did a real review. picked this up today. guy at the store said this was a guilty pleasure and I love me some blackberry and some porters, but this just misses the mark for me. I was hoping for something a bit more complex. seems like more like a brown ale than a porter. (591 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured into DFH Signature Glass.

Saw this on here listed for the Fall release at the LCBO and immediately started to drool. Sometimes the anticipation is far greater than the reward. I haven't found a beer with fruit I haven't liked yet. This one unfortunately is the exception.

A- Murky opaque black pour, hints of barney purple; The color is actually like a blackberry. Half finger tan/purple tinged head. Lacing is very sticky good.

S- Blackberries galore! Almost like a jelly (not jam) Vanilla and roasted coffee added in for good measure. Quite overpowering fruit.

T- Blackberry, roasted coffee, vanilla, with a strange bitter aftertaste that I can only assume is the malts and hops mixed with the fruit. The blackberry subsides a bit as it warms further. All these things being said, I was finding my self choking down this about half way down the bottle. Not sure if it's the fruit or what it was but it was nearly impossible to finish.

M- Juicy from the fruits and chewy like a good porter.

D- IMO this should be sold in standard bottle size (12oz) there is so much fruit crammed into this that it really makes this more of a dessert offering than anything else really. (1,184 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -10.8%

A: Ruby black, only a little off-white head, little retention/lace.

S: Berries, bready malt.

T: I'm not usually impressed with fruit beer, but I like this. Slightly sweet, blackberry and molases, with a bittersweet, slightly chocolatey aftertaste.

M: Light to moderate body and carbonation.

D: Average. It's approachable, and not overbearing. (354 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -9.5%

A very dark ruby colour with a thin off white head. Smells of sweet-sour blackberry with a hop presence kicking around. Tastes like blackberry and coffee right away that is rounded out with a bitter slightly sour hop presence. Light in terms of mouthfeel, was maybe a bit to fizzy for me. I would split a bomber with a buddy or two, I found the whole bomber to be a bit of a commitment on my own. This is not for me I don't think however, it really is a well made porter. This is the first offering I have tried from Cannery and I am interested in tasting some of there other stuff (581 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -8.7%

Weird beer I must say the least. Pitch black beer with a white foamy head that quickly dissapear. She smells black berries with a great pitch of pepper, sweet malt flavours are present.

Taste is quite similar in experience as smelling it, the black berries takes over, followed by a pepper pinch, end with a shy notes of maltish flavours.

Big props to Cwrw for providing me a bottle. (389 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours dark dark brown, not as black as some porters out there, as some light gets through. A thick, creamy tan head tops it off.

The smell isn't much to speak of. Roasted malt and sweet berry, with the berry dominating. Smells nice, but I was hoping for more.

The taste is an interesting mix of sweet, bitter and roasted flavours. Up front is the berry taste, sweet but mild. Next comes a touch of bitterness from the hops, and the lingering finish is like a non fruit porter with roasted coffee. While I'd say it is a better than average taste, it doesn't floor me.

Mouthfeel is medium to thin bodied with a light carbonation. Could perhaps use a bit more body to it, but otherwise it is what I'd expect for the style.

With the touch of fruit and mild flavours, this is a very drinkable beer. If the porter flavours were fuller, I think this could've been a great one. As it stands right now, it is a pleasing beer but not a world changer. (952 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

This is a highly carbonated beverage going by appearance however despite it's galaxy of tiny bubbles and thick foamy head it does not taste fizzy. In fact due to it's chocolate/berry flavour pairing it tastes a lot like the old Big Turk chocolate bars we used to get as kids for Christmas.
This is a delightful dessert beer. it might be nice at a Christmas dinner after the main course but as far as a regular beer I would pass. Still it's nicely done for what it is if a bit on the sweet side for my taste. (508 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -6.9%

Blackberries are good fit with this style and a little fine-tuning could elevate this beer into some loftier territory.

It poured from a 650 mL bomber looking like cherry cola. A two-finger head had good retention and left sheets of lace on my glass. Aside from the expected blackberries, the aroma had a nice floral, cherry blossom quality mixed with biscuity malt.

A moderately bitter taste was nicely sweetened by the blackberry, but this beer had a grainy, metallic finish that hurt its drinkability — though it wasn't as extreme as the beer warmed. It's nicely carbonated and medium-bodied. I'll definitely give this one another try. (645 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Medium brown with one finger of bubbly light brown head.

S - Sweet caramel, blackberry. Not much else is evident in the nose. Very sweet overall and the blackberry is quite strong.

T - Very sweet. Lots of blackberry flavour is present as well. Light roasted malt profile is evident but overshadowed by the blackberry and the overall sweetness of the beer.

M 0 Light to medium body; lightly carbonated. (411 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a clear brown, red edges, thick tan head, nice lacing, decent retention, looks like a porter. Smell is weird, blackberry jam, some chocolate, bit of anise and toffee, blackberry character does not really smell artificial which is good. Taste is malty, chocolate, lots of blackberry sweetness through the middle, toffee, more berries, some roast in the finish. Strong berry presence but I think it works in the beer. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. I kind of liked this. (495 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -2.6%

A fairly decent brew. I picked this up after trying Mt. Begbie's Selkirk Stout.

I love blackberries a generally pick a batch of fresh wild berries every summer. I can definitely taste the blackberries in this beer, and it compliments the traditional porter taste well. However, I find this to be a bit dry and almost bitter. There is a trace of sweetness -the smell, akin to rotting blackberries, is somewhat sweeter than the taste.

Pours a dark red-black with a thick foamy head that sticks to the side of the glass. Nice drinking; despite its unique but rather enjoyable taste, I feel myself wanting a second one. A good brew, but knowing people who use blackberries in brewing and winemaking, I understand the difficulties in getting a great taste. However, I rather like this. (786 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -2.1%

Cannery is one of those breweries with less than classy labels that have made me ignore them in liquor stores. I went into the 8th Street Liquor Store in New West again today, looking for something on the darker side, of which there's not much in stores presently. This was one of the clerk's suggestions.

Pours very dark, with cocoa-coloured head. Aroma is quite sweet - could easily be pop. The taste is not as sweet, which is no doubt a good thing. Smooth and bitter, tasting of dark roast coffee and sweet blackberries. It's not something I'd want to drink often, but I'm enjoying it and would buy it again. (613 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

"An exciting explosion of flavour! Five carefully chosen malted barleys are combined with three superior hop varieties to produce this traditional Porter. Natural blackberry adds an exciting complexity to this easy sipping wonder." Brewed in the style of an American Porter. Available as a year-round release in 22 oz. bottles and on draft.

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle to a snifter glass. Served above 53º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a frothy smooth head of a mocha cream consistency over a near black body. Retention is very good, lacing is light and patchy. 4

(Smell) Aromas of medium roast, caramel grain, chocolate malt and very potent blackberry puree. Blends together fairly well although the blackberry takes a leading role in the aroma. Potency is medium/high. 3.5

(Taste) The flavors blend together very nicely in the taste, with a half-and-half blend of blackberry juice and caramel bread up front, a reserved sweetness paired with a mild earthy hop note, finishing with the moderate roast of slightly over baked pie crust. Altogether much better balanced with quite an enjoyable flavor. 3.75

(Mouthfeel) Texture is slick, mildly chewy, mildly dry. Carbonation generates a soft airiness for a smooth, silky mouthfeel. Body is medium for the style, medium+ overall. Balance is nearly even sweet to earthy bitter. Alcohol presence is low, and there are no notable off flavors. 3.75

(Overall) It's not everyday you come across a fruit-infused porter, and it's a shame, because beers like this are fairly unique and should be explored more often. The results are considerably like a oven-baked blackberry pie, very nice fresh fruit presence, an enjoyable malt presence that presents a touch of bready, smooth body, a touch of burnt crust here and there- echoes of pie baking liquified and jammed into a bottle. Overall, I found it quite enjoyable and unique, at the very least as an enjoyable novelty dessert beer to pair with something sweet and filling. Many thanks to my parents for always thinking of me and my "hobbies" in their nationwide travels, this is otherwise unavailable in Georgia. Recommended. 3.75

Cannery Brewing Company's
Blackberry Porter
3.71/5.00 (2,184 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I love me some fruit beers, but for the most parts they`ve all been lighter coloured - this is my first trek into fruit flavoured porters, and this brewery`s beer sells not too badly at my store, so I am giving it a go.

The pour is straight up black with a dark beige head. The smell is rich in fruit aromas - like a jam almost. I don`t smell much actual beeriness, but there are some faint malty aromas in the background. The first sip was really cool - you definately get a lot of fruit taste, but it`s not sweet at all! This isn`t a good or a bad thing, since fruit beers really can go both ways and still be good. It sure tastes like a porter all right, but the more I drink it, the less I can taste that great berry taste that was so prevalent in the first few sips - very odd. Still, it is pleasant going down without an offputting aftertaste. The mouthfeel is good; it is low in carbonation like I would expect of the style, but has some fine body - although not as much body as some of the other porters I`ve tasted.

Overall, it looks and feels like a decent porter with some nice fruit tastes which were not sweet that somewhat become less pronounced as I went on. The smell, however, remained throughout, and was mild, but indicative of the presence of blackberries. I might buy this one again - it wasn`t that bad. (1,327 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

Thanks to Voonder for this great extra, and helping me to complete my first trade.

A. Black in the middle, brown on the edges, off-white to tan head.

S. Smells like a freshly picked and ripe blackberry, with some good chocolate and slight oat scent

T very airy, over the top on the blackberry which comes as my only complaints and slight bitter chocolates, catching a minimal amount of roasts and a very good smokey finish to it. Very interesting complex especial for a porter. (481 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This 650ml sneaked into the US (w/o passport), a souvenir of our August trip to Victoria. Purchased at BC Liquors, it's been hiding in a dark corner of the cellar, waiting for this moment to shine...poured to a pint.

A: Deep and rich brown, held to the light above our kitchen table shows a nice clarity with modest fast-rising carbonation. Do my eyes deceive me, or is there really a slight purple-ish/ruby tint to this one? A frothy tan caps builds to about a finger-high, ebbing away to a denser, creamier fraction of that.

S: 'Natural Blackberry Flavour' (or 'Flaveur de mûres Naturelle') is a listed ingredient. Obviously! Very nice berry aroma - juicy, earthy, lightly sweet. It's like a dollop of preserves dropped in a porter, with just a little cocoa powder and cereal sweetness. This may not be to everyone's liking, but I love blackberries and I love the way this smells as it boldly wafts from the glass.

T: Hard to live up to the aroma's promise, but this does pretty well...the blackberries are definitely a big part of this flavor, but becoming more of a sidenote as the 'porter' features develop. What starts sweeter and fruity evolves to a dustier bitterness of semisweet bakers chocolate and coffee grounds. Balance of fruity and bitter plays pretty well, and with each sip the process begins again, thus never too tiresome.

M: A fairly thin porter, slick down the throat. Carbonation is gentle, but there is a bittering dry finish (chalky?) that coats the back of the tongue and lingers.

D: This is a fun and interesting porter. Maybe not a 'must have' (it was more novelty than anything), but I'd drink it again. 6.5% ABV is reasonable for finishing the bottle at a sitting. (1,700 characters)

Blackberry Porter from Cannery Brewing Company