Double Nut Brown - Mammoth Brewing Company

good

poor

Mammoth Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 09-03-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Nut Brown Alström Bros
creez

03-19-2012 23:45:54 | More by creez
Cinderbike

Nevada

01-28-2012 07:46:59 | More by Cinderbike
Fillpott

4.6/5  rDev +23.3%

I bought a six pack after visiting MBC, so I assume it is very fresh. I have poured it into a British-style pint glass.

The beer pours a clear, ruby-red with little head or lacing. The beer has a strong chocolate and nut smell with a faint pine smell. The taste is of nuts, chocolate, and a faint bitter pine that is inviting and pleasant. The finish is dry and chocolaty, and the mouthfeel is full without being cloying or syrupy.

I tasted this at the brewery, and I was so impressed that I bought a sixpack. Therefore, I might be super-imposing my positive impressions and experiences at the brewery onto this review/tasting. However, I gladly do it because I really enjoy this beer.

01-21-2012 04:43:37 | More by Fillpott
TrojanWheels

01-18-2012 21:13:59 | More by TrojanWheels
EricCioe

Montana

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

Thanks to my neighbor Andrew for picking this up for me on a swing through California.

This pours medium deep brown with a big eggshell head rising and falling and leaving some lace. On the nose there is a huge nut component to go along with some chocolate and a bit of pine and caramel. I'm not sure I've had a nuttier nut brown. They're a little too far forward for my tastes, and I wish there was more surrounding them. In the mouth the chocolate is a little more assertive, but it's still a nut show. The chocolate and hops combine for a two-faced bitterness. The body is medium, exactly as expected given the style and abv.

Overall, this is a decent if unbalanced brew. A little tweaking and this would be better for me.

01-15-2012 21:13:09 | More by EricCioe

nightwing002

11-14-2011 22:16:42 | More by nightwing002
kojevergas

3.35/5  rDev -10.2%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a four finger head of nice tan colour, lovely cream lacing, great thickness, and good retention. Colour is a solid black.

Sm: Cream, caramel, and very light roast. I don't detect any nuts, which is surprising. A fairly strong aroma.

T: Nuts, cream, heavy caramel, and light roast. Sort of an English brown ale meets a tame rauchbier. Simple but agreeable. Well built and well balanced.

Mf: Smooth and wet, and nicely thick. Suits the flavours generally.

Dr: Very drinkable for a brown ale, but surprisingly devoid of nutty notes. I'd like to try it on draught. As is, it's not horribly impressive. Where's the complexity?

11-01-2011 23:35:08 | More by kojevergas
Haybeerman

Colorado

3.98/5  rDev +6.7%

A: Chestnut brown color; ruby when held up to the light. Poured a minimal light brown head that retreated to the edges of the glass. Laced the glass in thin wavy rings.

S: Rich toffee. Chocolate and mild coffee notes as well. Peaty, smokey aroma too.

T: Consistent with the nose; chocolate is much more prominent along with toffee and caramel. Transitions to a fairly bright finish with a light building bitter.

M: Light-to-medium body. Moderate carbonation; brightens the finish significantly. Smooth and rich with a pleasant toffee flavor lingering.

O: Good malt character; not cloying in the least.

08-21-2011 20:14:37 | More by Haybeerman
bceagles39

3.53/5  rDev -5.4%

On draft at Gastropub 775 in Reno, NV on July 26 2011.

Pours a deep mahogany color with a rich tan head,

Smells strongly of coffee beans and sweetness. Massive aroma.

Taste essentially as it smells, or mild slightly sweetened coffee beans. A little too coffee-like. Obviously quite nutty.

Not bitter or too drying; not a session beer, good for coffee lovers.

08-01-2011 00:29:21 | More by bceagles39
notchucknorris

3.95/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Mahogany color with a big sandy colored head.

S: A pretty big roasted malt aroma along with some nice nuttiness.

T: I picked up some chocolate, hazelnut and coffee. The mouthfeel was a little bit thin for me. This wasn't the best brow I've ever had, but I definitely enjoyed it. Worth a try.

07-29-2011 22:51:10 | More by notchucknorris
mikechance

3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

I’m really impressed with this beer. I’m not a big nut brown beer fan because they seem to lack any distinctive characteristics. Basically it’s a boring beer style. This beer is one on the exceptions for me. It starts off with a darker almost porter like color and foam. The smell is filled with lots of malt, coffee and chocolate flavors. It taste very good, again it’s almost a chocolate porter with a little bitterness at the end. A great beer once the leaves start to fall and the television is filled with college football.

07-26-2011 02:11:49 | More by mikechance
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured a deep rich brown with a huge creamy head and a huge lace down the side, this looks very inticing to say the least! Smell was of roasted nuts with a hint of hops. Caramel sweetness undertones as well, smells thick and very fresh. The taste was very full. Nice roasted tones and caramel was the predominant flavors. Very complex though as there was much hoppiness at both the beginning and the finish. The finish was very nice, very dry and left you looking for more.

06-15-2011 03:08:13 | More by mikesgroove
ehammond1

Bottle

Davis Beer Shoppe
Davis, CA

A clear, caramel brown. Thin tan head that disappears quickly.

Not a big aroma. There is a touch of caramel sweetness and some bready malt character, but this beer does not have much aroma.

Relatively sweet, with toffee and caramel notes, some nice nutty character throughout, and a touch of bitterness. Pretty tasty.

Thin to medium mouthfeel.

A good nut brown ale, but not a huge amount of character and nothing overtly special, but certainly a quality brown.

06-13-2011 22:34:00 | More by ehammond1
OStrungT

4.2/5  rDev +12.6%

This beer pours a dark brown that looks mohogany when held up to the light. It boasts a thin light tan head that fades quickly, leaving minimal lace.

This beer has a nice toffee aroms. I detect some biscuit also. Nutty malts aroma is presnet too. As it warms, I get a smokey almost campfire like aroma.

This beer tastes a bit different than it smells. Strong chocolate flavors are presnet. Some toffee and caramel mix in. I taste some roasted malt also

This beer is smooth, leaving a toffee like aftertaste. Carbonation is good for the style.

This beer would probably make a pretty good session beer. It is good tasting, and it is not too high in alcohol.

Overall: This is a good beer. I cant usually get it, but it is for sale everywhere in Yosemite, and I plan to take advantage of that every time I got there. This beer is worth buying. Even worth trading for.

05-18-2011 01:15:39 | More by OStrungT
samoblue

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

I have to admit, I'm not one to typically purchase a Brown Ale, with actual money, but my curiosity was piqued by the promise of a "Double Brown" on the label. Double the what, exactly? Flavor? Attitude? Fun? Life-improving alcohol? It had to be tried. Besides, I'm in Mammoth Lakes, about a million miles from anywhere. What else am I going to do in late August with no snow anywhere?

Appearance
Pours an opaque reddish-brown with a thin beige head, which dissipates quickly. A fair amount of lacing on the wine glass I consumed it from, because I am 100% class.

Aroma
Smells like a brown ale: Nutty, malty, a little bit sweet.

Taste
Nutty and sweet, but tempered with a really welcome roasted maltiness.

Mouthfeel
Got to admit, this is where the beer falters. A bit thin, watery, and sticky. I can still feel it on my teeth 15 minutes after finishing it.

Drinkability
Well, I finished it. But I only had one. Because there are many other beers to try.

09-01-2010 02:03:31 | More by samoblue
tigg924

Appearance: dark brown in color, 1/2 inch head, clear, moderate carbonation

Smell: roasted malt and nut

Taste: roasted malt, big nutty middle, sugar, and small dose of chocolate

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, medium carbonation, moderately sweet

Drinkability: This was a pleasant surprise. I actually liked the multiple layers in this beer. Very robust and complex. Glad I bouught a six, even happier I saved some to have at home.

08-21-2010 16:51:31 | More by tigg924
Arbitrator

3.3/5  rDev -11.5%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Thanks to largadeer for this one. I guess he got excited when he saw "double nut" in there and just had to buy it.

A: Pours an opaque brown body with a well-retaining light beige head. It leaves a moderate collar on the brew, few spots of lace, and some scattered / broken film in the center.

S: Toffee, nuts, coffee (roasted grain). Some chocolate and caramel.

T: Nutty, with a roasted grain component that lends flavors of coffee. Some caramel and toffee is found. A decent finish that (when the swigs aren't watery) carries a nice aftertaste of chocolate, caramel, and nuts. Pretty tasty.

M: Thin-bodied, owing to the carbonation which makes it feel creamy. But an incredibly watery flavor.

D: Bleh. If I had to choose between cheap beer (Chris kept telling me this was about $1.30 a bottle) and no beer, I'd probably go with no beer. Not a particularly good brown ale.

07-19-2010 21:23:07 | More by Arbitrator
barleywinefiend

Washington

3.53/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured deep brownish, sordove thin I thought with good carbonation. Nose is nutty, toffee, caramel. Taste follows nose but with light body and taste. Malty, nuts, toffee and thats about all here, can not realy taste booze. Mouthfeel is ok and drinkability is about average.

01-24-2010 16:23:26 | More by barleywinefiend
Ghenna

3.68/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours fairly dark with a tinge of red around the edges of the glass, with a two finger latte colored head with fair amount of lacing. Smells of roasted malts, and all of its concomitant smells (chocolate, caramel). Flavor follows the smell. The mouthfeel reminds me of a Guinness, though with less in the way of carbonation. Others describe it as creamy.

Pretty drinkable beer, and my first from Mammoth- I'll definitely be trying more of their product.

01-13-2010 03:42:26 | More by Ghenna
DoubleJ

3.73/5  rDev 0%

Here we go...a 22 ounce bottle and a New York Steak dinner. On to the beer:

Dark brown, almost black color. Slightly tanned head, and the head is thick....holding upm well this far. Good things in the nose. There is fudge, nuts, and a shot of juicy tropical hops.

Yum. The first sip is a winner. Starts off nutty, then ground coffee takes control of it all. No kitty! This is my brown ale! More nuts and fudge and butterscotch topping. Slight pinch of the hops. Easy mouthfeel...maybe a pinch "watery" relative to other good brown ales.

Dark brown, brown porter....whatever you can call this, it is good.

Update: The maltiness seems to slowly slack off towards the end. Call it pretty good overall.

08-16-2009 01:16:17 | More by DoubleJ
seanbhudson

3.58/5  rDev -4%

APPEARANCE:
Pours a dark an opaque brown color with red highlights. It has a medium tan head and very little lacing.
AROMA:
Mild aroma of chocolate, caramel and roasted coffee grounds.
FLAVOR:
Toffee nuts and a bit of roasted coffee ground bitterness. Hint of metallic taste also.
MOUTHFEEL:
Medium body beer with a weak (watery) mouthfeel. It finishes with a bit of creaminess. Fizzy carbonation.
DRINKABILITY:
An easy drinking smooth beer. I would prefer a beer with a richer mouthfeel and no metallic flavors. While you can definitely taste the nuts in this "double nut brown" it did not meld with the other flavors for me.
NOTES: BBCSD-0907-Sean