IPA 395 - Mammoth Brewing Company

Ratings: 220 | Reviews: 87
Reviews by 4000qtrap:
4.59/5  rDev +23.7%

Source/Serving: 12 oz. bottle

S: Juniper is the most forward with a soft, green herbal (thyme, oregano) character provided by the sage and hops, which blend nicely together and make you feel like you are in a forest. Solid malt backbone with notes of caramel and semi-ripe red fruit. A touch of alcohol even is its only slightly warm, but its very clean and works well with the juniper.

T: The juniper imparts an earthy/twiggy, somewhat medicinal/herbal note, that is prevalent up front. The slightly drying effect of juniper along with moderate, but firm, bitterness gives this brew a certain stark appeal and on the bitter side from the get-go. However, as you acclimate, the front side reaches a nice balanced sweet-bitter contrast. I'm a sucker for juniper, so I like it a lot and think its very drinkable, but it could be too much for some. The middle flavors up the bitterness a bit more so that its solid, especially for a DIPA, but never too much. The bitterness has an earthy, treebark, almost black pepper character from the juniper, which I like. Moderately high carbonation and light acidity keeps things bright, which plays off the heavy juniper notes well. Hop flavors come through and I really enjoy the unexpected flavor that the sage adds, melding with herbal, peppery, piney, resiny hops to create something unique and enjoyable. Hints of flowers, sap, resin, and cucumber. The body of this is a little heavy for my tastes given the dry, stark, intensity of flavors, which impacts drinkability to some extent even with the slightly high carbonation as its quite 'full'. Finish lingers long with a touch of bitterness on the tongue, lip-sticking thick sweetness, a more herbal/medicinal juniper edge, pepper, and light hoppiness.

Notes: I love juniper and this is well done, and I love unique hop flavors which this brew does excellently by including sage. So, I love the unique flavors and the firm bitterness is on point for my tastes.

4.27/5  rDev +15.1%

A much different IIPA than I expected. Pours hazy orange-copper with not much of a head. The aroma is very nice. The expected orange, grapefruit, caramel, and pine notes, but mixed with the sweetness of the sage and juniper. The taste follows this theme. All of the IIPA hop tastes are up front, but then mix towards the back with the sage and juniper, giving it a sweet and long finish. A very nice change of pace.

no freshness date. at fridge temp poured into a bulb style glass.

pours out a dark red with a bit of orange. one finger of soapy off white head with pretty decent retention. quite a bit of sticky lace. slightly murky.

spices and a bit of honey sweetness at the forefront. a bit of cinnamon, herbal, floral, and some other christmasy spices. the aroma is almost identical to great lakes christmas ale.

the begining of the taste follows the aroma, a bit sweet with lots of spice. cinnamon, honey, christmasy spices. citrus, herbal hops with some decent bitterness. kind of a spicy almost chile like finish.

medium bodied, carb feels good for the style. some lingering hop bitterness, but not as much as you might expect in a double ipa.

very drinkable, was surprised that this was 8%. a very interesting take on such a popular style. reminds me of a hopped up version of great lakes christmas ale. i recommend you try this.

3.57/5  rDev -3.8%

Bottle (2012)

Thanks for bringing this back for me, ryno09!

Dark amber and ruby with a thin off-khaki colored head, eventually leaving irregular dots and lines of lace down the glass. Pretty.

The aroma is unique, though also exactly what I expected: sage and juniper berries lead, along with some other floral notes, caramel, and a hint of alcohol.

The flavor is similar to the aroma, with earth, sage, and berry flavors leading the way, along with floral notes, caramel sweetness, and a bit of alcohol presence.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

A very unique, IPA, though I couldn't drink a ton of this like I could my favorite IPAs.

4.03/5  rDev +8.6%

Damn Mammoth makes some good hoppy beers! This one is a good shade of brown on the pour. Aroma is amazingly piney. Its like the Tahoe forest or Yosemite up in a 22oz bottle!

Taste = exquisite. More pine, still a good amount of the citrus hops. Hops dominate, despite the dark appearance and toasting of the malt here.

Mouthfeel, good, but could have been higher if not for the tendency of the beer to seem a little flat down the line. Very drinkable, but you have to watch out, this can be drank a little quick for an 8%

Really important to get this one fresh, even just a few hundred miles from the source, I've come across some compromised bottles I wouldn't rate nearly this high.

3.95/5  rDev +6.5%

This beer pours a slightly cloudy dark golden color, with a light tan head. The thin head fades slowly, leaving a decent lace.

This beer has a mild juniper aroma. Some piney hops mix in as well. It has a very subtle sweet malty aroma as well.

This beer tastes much like it smells. Pine hops and juniper. It finishes with a noticable sage like aroma. Quite unique, and not necesarily bad.

This beer is full bodied. It leaves a sage like aftertaste. Carbonation is low.

This beer would not make the best session beer. It is good, and unique, but I think the flavor would become a bit cloying after a time.

Overall: This is a good beer, but not something I want to drink by the case.

1.98/5  rDev -46.6%

(reviewed from notes; sampled sometime in late September '11)

I was very intrigued after reading the bottle while perusing the shelves at my local bottle shop. It says they use juniper and sage, along with local hops, in this one. Well, it definitely shines through and not in a pleasant way.

Appearance is typical of the style. Smell offers a glimpse of the unpleasantness to come. Very strange, off-putting aroma of wild flora (I guess that's the juniper and sage).

Taste is very unpleasant. I got a few sips down and had had enough. Imagine gathering some very wild, very dry sage, juniper leaves, and hops, and then soaking them in sugary water... that is what this beer tasted like.

I don't remember what the mouthfeel was like, as the awful taste dominated all else, so I'll just call the mouthfeel average.

I'd heard where this beer had given some others a bad headache. After only several sips, I felt it start to go to work on my cranium. Down the drain it went, and fast.

Very disappointed. I like the bottle, the description, the thought and the effort, but the beer was not good at all.

4.13/5  rDev +11.3%

The last beer I reviewed was almost exactly one year ago today. Somehow seeing the score for this, I felt compelled to add my 2 cents - here they are:

Had this on-tap several places in Mammoth over the years. The quality ranges from the shitty Whiskey Creek, with their corroded tap lines; to the pub at the main lodge at Mammoth Mt, where it was as fresh and clean as possible. When it's good, it's great. I think the stock moves out so quickly in the wee village, that you're as likely to get a bottle of it as fresh as any place.

Color-wise: looks like a DIPA: dark and a bit beefy with the froth of a well-groomed IPA. There is the spices in the nose and the taste that throws some people off. I get that. BUT - I like it. It's made with sage and juniper - not necessarily something you expect from an IPA or DIPA.

Whether it is a DIPA or IPA - it doesn't fit to style. I'm not judging it on that (I don't think it's a DIPA - as listed here). It's unique and when fresh - quite delicious. Worth a try, even for the extreme hopheads.

3.91/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Amberish brown and murky - very odd for the style and dark for the style but it's brewed with Sage and Juniper so I'm guessing that has a lot to do with it. Decent head retention

S - Pine, Sage, citrus hops and smells pungent like this beer will be sticky and resinous. It's also earthy and it smells somewhat spicy as well.

T - Follows nose exactly but add a cinnamon component here is what I'm picking up as what I described as spicy in the nose. The malt bill backs this beer up pretty good to note, as it still holds it's hops well over a couple months without getting too sweet. The Sage is a bit overpowering however and could be toned down some while toning the citrus qualities up some. But that's just me. I think the brewer achieved what he was going for as this beer is supposed to showcase the sage and juniper along with the hops highlighting HWY 395. They are all there.

M - All flavors molded well into a resinous and sticky mouthfeel which I like in my DIPAs. Sagish Dank.

D - Solid - not too hard to polish off a bomber.

I recommend this beer as a must try even if just once as this is probably the most unique twist on the style I've had from a Cali DIPA. Enjoyable. If you don't like Sage, you won't like this beer.

Big thanks to Morgan for this one!

A: Pours a dark amber color with a one finger egg-shell white head. Decent retention with lacing all around the glass.

S: Now that's a bit different. Lots of juniper and sage with some piney hops underneath. Would have liked the hop aromas to be a bit stronger compared to the juniper and sage, but I still like how this one smells.

T: Similar to the aroma but a bit more balanced. More sage and juniper with a bit more pine and faint citrus fruits. There is also some grassy hops.

M: Medium bodied, maybe a tad light for a DIPA, but easy drinking. No abv, but slightly medicinal.

O: A different take on a DIPA. Not as hoppy as most, but I actually quite enjoyed it. Would certainly recommend it.

4.8/5  rDev +29.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- Beautiful copper color with a long lasting head. Good lacing.

S- If you enjoy the eastern sierra or great basin outdoors you have to try this beer. The juniper and sage jump out at you and instantly take you to your favorite great basin outdoors location. A delight to smell

T- the juniper and sage are still present but balance well with the fruity hop essence making a well rounded IPA. Does not drink like a strong I-IPA. Not a hop bomb, it may be misclassified.

M- Good typical IPA mouthfeel.

D- If you enjoy the sage and juniper you can go back to this brew time and again. My favorite Mammoth brew.

4.1/5  rDev +10.5%

I've spent a few days in Mammoth and been enjoying their beers, but this is certainly my favorite. Most of the beers are fairly clean and standard for the style, but this is a truly interesting brew that most breweries should be proud to offer. Behind rich citrus hops (which are pretty normal) there's a lovely undercurrant of the juniper and sage that both sets this IPA apart and gives it great local flavor. If you try anything from this brewery, here's your beer.

4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

Vacation in a bottle. Some IPA take us places, most of them nice places. This IPA starts with nice strong note and finishes near a mountain creek with herbal scented winds. Nice break from double IPA's that feel the need to constantly remind you what they are. Nice Amber, acceptable head and body, nice bitter sweet finish. Very drinkable, enjoy.

4.07/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

This pours much darker than I expected, like you might expect of a dense Amber. A dark copper, with a light khaki head (22oz into tulip). The bottle declares juniper berries and sage. The sage is evident right in the nose with some piney hops (I mean, Mammoth, has to be pine - am I under the influence of longing for my youth of 6 hour drives pre-dawn to ski until I couldn't stand?). The juniper berries add a tart, sharp point to the nose.

And so the flavor does deliver as the label declares with the sage evident and the juniper berries adding some pop to the heavy pine hops. Really nice blast of bitter. However, the malt balance is a little light. The mouthfeel was also a little light bodied for my expectations in a DIPA. This is a tasty tasty concept beer - a concept I like. Would prefer a bit more body.

3.65/5  rDev -1.6%

Served in a 'pint' glass at Mammmoth Brewing/Whiskey Creek in Mammoth. The 'pint' glasses here are somewhat diminutive, but at $3.50 for a Happy Hour glass and given the outstanding food options, I digress.

This beer pours a rich orange amber with a thin head and offers very limited lacing/retention.

Aroma is very hoppy but mostly of pine and juniper with some toasted malts. Not nearly as robust as the bottled version.

Dryness comes to the forefront in the taste department, again, relative to the bottle. And in fact it offers a bit of smokieness to the flavor. Not a real negative here, but not too sure of its source, and in fact I picked up a notable smoky flavor in all of the MBC beers I tried on tap.

Feel and Drink are quite pleasant and consistent with the bottled version. A nice DIPA that is neither over the top sweet nor over the top potent.

4.13/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Good IPA. Has juniper berries and sage added which makes it taste more piney but it is still good. Hoppy but not too hoppy. 8% ABV. Drinkable for sure. Definitely bring on your next trip to the high Sierras

4.42/5  rDev +19.1%

A:
Honey hued elixir tantalizes the senses as its poured, showing beautiful head and lace retention

S:
Like a spice rack, full of floral aromas. The extra spiciness really comes out

T:
Well, its listed as an IPA, but this thing is more like a winter warmer as its chalk full of spicy greatness, in fact the hops are barely apparent at all. Very resiny taste of juniper.

M:
Great beer, makes me think of the days growing up camping up in the pine forests where the juniper was so thick in the air that you can taste it.

D:
For me its a great drinking beer! Easy to drink as its full of flavor, but not overwhelming at all. However at 8% not really a session beer, but good for after dinner with the friends.

I like it and will be drinking more...I am glad to have found this rather local beer!

3.45/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark amber orange with a light short head that dissapates quickly.

Nose of pineapple, orange and sage.

Light carbonation with bit of a thin mouthfeel. Pleasant flavors grapefruit hops highlighted (if not overshadowed) by huge sage flavors with undertones of juniper. (Surprise..sage and juniper are used in the brew; it shows). Some flavors of orange and grapefruit.

Medium finish of sage. Nothing special. Likely no need to try again.

A big thanks to DarthKostrizer for this extra. Cheers!

Appearance – Pours a rather dark cloudy orange color into my tulip. About a finger of tan head is achieved that dissipates quickly leaving slight lacing.

Smell – Pine, hops, spices, herbs, mint, floral aromas, and malty backbone.

Taste – I tasted this without reading any reviews. The first thing that came to my mind was mint (which I am a huge mint fan so this intrigued me). I will admit, this beer states it is brewed in winter so I’m not sure how fresh this is. That said, this does not really remind me of a DIPA. It does still have some hop characteristics, however, it is more sweet now, like a barelywine. However, I don’t know, it works? I am really enjoying the spices/mint that is intermixed within this beer, and the more sweet backbone. It’s working for me…

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, decent carbonation.

Overall – Honestly, I’m not sure what to think. For a DIPA, it is bad. But for whatever I’m drinking, it’s not that bad. If you gave this to me and said it was supposed to be a DIPA I would laugh – there really is not much here that would make me think that. However, if you said it was a fresher barlywine mixed with herbs and mint, I’d agree completely. I’m oddly enjoying this beer and would no joke like to have another one or two in order to age them to see if it becomes even more barleywine like as it progresses.

2.81/5  rDev -24.3%

Thanks to Ultraman9000 for this bottle. Poured in to Duvel tulip.

A - Medium to dark amber; opaque. A small amount of khaki coloured head. Looks like a barleywine.

S - A lot of caramel sweetness at first. Some floral notes and a smell that I can't put my finger on that is definitely herbal (likely the sage), which is somewhat off-putting.

T - The herbal (sage?) flavour dominates the palate, making it difficult to detect the hops and the sweet caramel that was in the nose. Very strong earthy taste. There is a slight bitterness present along with a slight sweetness, but overall the herbal flavour overpowers the palate and dominates.

M - Medium body; light to moderate carbonation.

D - I didn't enjoy this one and I could not figure out how this was possible a DIPA (old bottle), but it was interesting to try.

4.02/5  rDev +8.4%

OK, I have this review twice, as this beer has 2 entries on the site, one as "395 IPA", the other as "IPA 395".

22 ounce bottle from Hi Time Wine in Costa Mesa, CA; price not recorded in early May, 2008.

The beer's label talks of the 395 highway going up the Owens Valley in eastern California to northern Nevada, one of the world's greatest drives, and mentions local hops, sage, and juniper. I know about the sage and juniper, but hops?

Pours a rich orange-amber, with nice red highlights against the light. Decent white head keeps a thin cover for a good long time.

Aroma is juniper. If you have ever broken a juniper leaf (or is it a needle?) off and crushed it in your hands, then smelled it, this is a very faithful reminder of that smell. Wonderful to me.

Flavor is a nice strong IPA with the mountain juniper following through. I actually like it, although to me, it is a strong IPA, rather than the double/imperial IPA that is suggested to be on its label. It does not have the big malt profile of many DIPAs, it isn't nearly as rich and full (in comparison, it's almost thin).

I think if you expect a more traditional West Coast DIPA, you might be disappointed. But as a strong IPA with a little different flavor profile, I really like it. Recommended.

3.9/5  rDev +5.1%

Review from 7/2011 notes. Poured into a tall cylinder glass. Pours a dark brown-orange amber, half finger of light tan head, moderate lacing. Aroma of hops, sage. Very aromatic and appealing. Taste is light malt, dry hops, sage and juniper. Not very complex, but tasty and enjoyable. I liked this IPA.

4.42/5  rDev +19.1%

dark orange amber color and a huge head of white coming up and over the top. Majestic looking would be the right word here. Thick lacing up and down the sides of the glass throughout. Most pungent aroma I have come across in as long as I can remember. Thick dose of grapefruit and orange right up front. Huge sticky hops just dripping off of this one. Rich and sweet as I take the first sip. Grapefruit and sugar dipped prange just coating the tongue. Soo fresh it almost hurts. Even warming it brings no relief as the hops are soo thick and omnipresent that you are just taken a back and completely blown away.

4.32/5  rDev +16.4%

I picked this up at the Bevmo in Fairfield.

Appearance- dark amber color, nice looking head

Smell- lots of citrus hops

Taste- piney hops, very nice

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I was really impressed with this beer. It had that hop bite that I love so much and soothes me. Awesome beer

4.08/5  rDev +10%

12oz bottle from a 4-pack bought while up at Yosemite. pours a stunningly dark caramel glistening with amber and ruby highlights. looks like barleywine. a thick two-finger brown sugary colored head slowly fades leaving immensely chunky lacing down the glass. striking. although unexpected.

aroma packs a wallop. biscuit and caramel malt up front along with citrus hops - almost like fruit slice candy. then a poignantly resinous pine backed by juniper berries, sage, tarragon. It smells like I shoved a pine tree up my nose. or a christmas-themed yankee candle. And I'm loving it.

Taste is intense. rich caramel malt, touch of alcoholic heat, then resinous, sticky pine hops. citrus zest. like chewing on a spruce tree spritzed with lime zest and dunked in gin (all pleasurable in my book). All in all, it's a strong, powerful - if not slightly unbalanced and haphazard - double ipa reminiscent of something along the lines of 120min. A bit hot, a bit strong, a bit pungent, and definitely a lot of juniper and pine character.

mouth is sticky, full, rich, and luscious bubbles caress my tongue and help me forget how confusing and intense this herbal, juniper-fueled trip is.

All in all, i love this. but I love juniper. and I like sage. and I like pine. (now defunct Siletz brewing made an ale with spruce needles instead of hops. and I loved that). As a double IPA goes, this is pretty solid. And I'm going to score it as a double IPA. I like the juniper and sage which puts it in a different category and all in all would lead me to score this evne a bit higher... if it were in a Spiced IPA category. If you like juniper and sage in your beer and like malty, hot IPAs, this is your beer. and if you don't, then it's not for you. But I'm absolutely loving it!

to view more.