2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

IPA 395 - Mammoth Brewing Company

IPA 395IPA 395

good

Mammoth Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-04-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 154 | Reviews: 79 | Show All Ratings:
120minuteman

After a 10 day trip through California, I can easily say that Mammoth's 395 was my favorite discovery, and a great way to end the day in Yosemite.

As an IPA man this beer did it. It had a very light mouthfeel that complimented very well with the sharper hoppy flavor. The juniper berries were also easily detectable and helped refine the taste.

If you see it buy it! But I wouldn't recommend aging it, as it seems like its meant to be had as fresh as possible.

08-16-2012 18:18:14 | More by 120minuteman
ClimbRox

4.85/5  rDev +31.4%

The east side in a bottle! This beer is way too hard to find but it is well worth the search. It's a traditional west coast IPA with the unique addition of sage and juniper flavors. This might make for a strange combination to some but if you've ever spent any time climbing, hiking, skiing or just exploring the beautiful country that makes up the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada mountains, you'll find that these flavors capture the essence of the California high country we love. For my money you can't find a better tasting IPA.

09-17-2009 20:12:21 | More by ClimbRox
athensbeermaster

Georgia

4.83/5  rDev +30.9%

This MAMMOTH brew starts with a huge head even poured really slow! Great lacing all the way down the glass. Intense pine resin with a hint of woodsy vanilla aroma. Ever smell a Ponderosa pine at 8000 ft. The taste explodes with spicy hops that fades into sage and finishing with a big juniper taste. The malt profile holds on just long enough to make the mouthfeel smooth and lightly creamy. Then you get a whisper of pine and juniper aftertaste again that lingers in your mouth for a very long finish! This one makes the allstar cali team for sure!!

06-17-2008 04:56:26 | More by athensbeermaster
HugePlume

Washington

4.8/5  rDev +30.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- Beautiful copper color with a long lasting head. Good lacing.

S- If you enjoy the eastern sierra or great basin outdoors you have to try this beer. The juniper and sage jump out at you and instantly take you to your favorite great basin outdoors location. A delight to smell

T- the juniper and sage are still present but balance well with the fruity hop essence making a well rounded IPA. Does not drink like a strong I-IPA. Not a hop bomb, it may be misclassified.

M- Good typical IPA mouthfeel.

D- If you enjoy the sage and juniper you can go back to this brew time and again. My favorite Mammoth brew.

02-05-2010 03:41:50 | More by HugePlume
elNopalero

4.73/5  rDev +28.2%

This looks good with a big foamy head that reduces to a snow cap atop an almost amber reddish hued brew. The aroma is engaging and complex, hoppy and beguiling.

What at first I think are piney tropical pineapplefruit almost-medicinal notes develops into a strong juniper aroma.

It makes me think of a fresh forest aroma after a rainfall, of Michigan evergreens, of summer rains and cooling nights…. And that’s just from the aroma.

The flavor brings it on with a gruit-like almost medicinal juniper assault. There’s a hint of sage which mellows things out and some light chew. At 8% this is more IPA than double. Finishes with a little bit of pine backbone, some resin & a light chew. Warms well. Remains fantastic throughout.

Bought to share with a buddy but due to commitments we had to postpone for a month. Hope to find another one of these by then!

Utterly delicious, fantastic brew. More more more por favor

07-18-2012 18:25:11 | More by elNopalero
4000qtrap

Missouri

4.63/5  rDev +25.5%

Source/Serving: 12 oz. bottle

S: Juniper is the most forward with a soft, green herbal (thyme, oregano) character provided by the sage and hops, which blend nicely together and make you feel like you are in a forest. Solid malt backbone with notes of caramel and semi-ripe red fruit. A touch of alcohol even is its only slightly warm, but its very clean and works well with the juniper.

T: The juniper imparts an earthy/twiggy, somewhat medicinal/herbal note, that is prevalent up front. The slightly drying effect of juniper along with moderate, but firm, bitterness gives this brew a certain stark appeal and on the bitter side from the get-go. However, as you acclimate, the front side reaches a nice balanced sweet-bitter contrast. I'm a sucker for juniper, so I like it a lot and think its very drinkable, but it could be too much for some. The middle flavors up the bitterness a bit more so that its solid, especially for a DIPA, but never too much. The bitterness has an earthy, treebark, almost black pepper character from the juniper, which I like. Moderately high carbonation and light acidity keeps things bright, which plays off the heavy juniper notes well. Hop flavors come through and I really enjoy the unexpected flavor that the sage adds, melding with herbal, peppery, piney, resiny hops to create something unique and enjoyable. Hints of flowers, sap, resin, and cucumber. The body of this is a little heavy for my tastes given the dry, stark, intensity of flavors, which impacts drinkability to some extent even with the slightly high carbonation as its quite 'full'. Finish lingers long with a touch of bitterness on the tongue, lip-sticking thick sweetness, a more herbal/medicinal juniper edge, pepper, and light hoppiness.

Notes: I love juniper and this is well done, and I love unique hop flavors which this brew does excellently by including sage. So, I love the unique flavors and the firm bitterness is on point for my tastes.

03-03-2012 20:13:21 | More by 4000qtrap
Craboo

4.6/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased this beer in the Yosemite Village store in Yosemite Natl Park (they have a pretty good beer selection, and not too pricey).

IPA 395 pours a rich amber color with a creamy white head. As this is a double IPA one can notice its higher viscosity as it pours.

The smell is pure bliss: wild sage, piney hop, and an ever so slight hint of juniper. This is the smell of the high desert after a rain storm!

The taste is rich and the mouthfeel very full. Sage and resiny hop dominate, but are nicely balanced by medium carmelly malts and a generous CO2 charge.

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer, and was delighted to have something different. The use of sage and juniper was a wonderful surprise, and works exceptionally well in this DIPA. Two thumbs up!

05-14-2008 13:43:37 | More by Craboo
BdubleEdubleRUN

4.5/5  rDev +22%

I try to drink as much of this stuff as I can, this review is from the most recent batch that baybassboy brought back for me. Thanks.
Pours much darker then you would expect for the style and I welcome this, its got good clarity and one of those signiture giagantic frothy heads from Mammoth Brewing, the head sticks to the glass and doesn't uncling until its washed off.
Right off the bat you know why this is IPA 395, if you have ever been to the Eastern Sierra's you know what I'm talking about, full of sage, pine and floral hops, juniper with a slight malt profile.
So much sage in this beer. Feels like I had my head out the window smacking sage brush with my mouth open going 70 up 395. There is a slight bitterness and floral hops as well as some malt background.
Medium bodied with a sticky resin clinging to the mouth and well carbed.
DIPA? I understand why this beer gets some bad reviews and may not be enjoyable for everyone, I however love this beer and its one of my all time favorites.

11-13-2011 21:31:54 | More by BdubleEdubleRUN
evanforbeer

4.45/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is a great beer! Certainly a "mountainy" beer.

Fresh juniper/sage on the nose, lots of it.

Crisp and juicy citrusy and piney hops with a little biscuity malt, sweet and floral layer with juniper and sage, a touch of wild blackberries. Finishes with a warm faint caramely malt note, again with hops and juniper lingering on the palate.

I grew up cruising up the 395 to the Mammoth/ surrounding Sierra area, so perhaps there's a bit of nostalgia for me with this beer. However, I think the use of local juniper, sage, and wild hops is not a mere gimmick but actually creates a unique and delicious beer. While the juniper and sage are featured and very present, they do not dominate the palate but pair and bring out great flavors of the hops. Very drinkable and enjoyable for many occasions.

cheers

01-05-2014 05:45:38 | More by evanforbeer
Solomon420

4.43/5  rDev +20.1%

A:
Honey hued elixir tantalizes the senses as its poured, showing beautiful head and lace retention

S:
Like a spice rack, full of floral aromas. The extra spiciness really comes out

T:
Well, its listed as an IPA, but this thing is more like a winter warmer as its chalk full of spicy greatness, in fact the hops are barely apparent at all. Very resiny taste of juniper.

M:
Great beer, makes me think of the days growing up camping up in the pine forests where the juniper was so thick in the air that you can taste it.

D:
For me its a great drinking beer! Easy to drink as its full of flavor, but not overwhelming at all. However at 8% not really a session beer, but good for after dinner with the friends.

I like it and will be drinking more...I am glad to have found this rather local beer!

06-04-2008 05:26:48 | More by Solomon420
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +20.1%

dark orange amber color and a huge head of white coming up and over the top. Majestic looking would be the right word here. Thick lacing up and down the sides of the glass throughout. Most pungent aroma I have come across in as long as I can remember. Thick dose of grapefruit and orange right up front. Huge sticky hops just dripping off of this one. Rich and sweet as I take the first sip. Grapefruit and sugar dipped prange just coating the tongue. Soo fresh it almost hurts. Even warming it brings no relief as the hops are soo thick and omnipresent that you are just taken a back and completely blown away.

06-15-2011 03:09:28 | More by mikesgroove
Fillpott

4.38/5  rDev +18.7%

I tried this at MBC, and have bought a growler to review. Again, I really enjoy this brewery, so take this review with that in mind.

The beer pours a strong, even, off-white head with a reddish color and incredible pine/sage/juniper smell. The smell reminds me of the high desert when it rains. The smell is clean, crisp, and intense. The taste is almost a little too sweet from the high level of malt that is required to balance the bitterness of the sage and juniper, I assume. The beer is still approachable and drinkable with a smooth, clean mouthfeel.

My overall impression is that this beer brings back a lot of nostalgia about the mountains and high desert that I really like.

Serving type: growler

01-21-2012 04:52:18 | More by Fillpott
Theortiz01

4.36/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to KEWire for adding this as an extra!

Let me preface this review by saying I normally don't care for beers with a bunch of flora added to them, i.e. juniper, sage, and what not.

Appearance:
Pours a beautiful dark copper/ amber color with the appropriate amount of carbonation. About a one inch, tan creamy head. Stunning looking beer. It screams "Make love to me with your face." Poured into a 12oz tulip glass.

Smell:
Holy balls. If you went and picked a bunch of fresh juniper and sage from a mountain side, it probably wouldn't smell as fresh as this beer does. There's also a bit of a mint aroma that I'm getting, probably from the juniper. It's hard to explain, but even though the juniper is very prevalent, its not over the top. You better like juniper if you wanna try this beer though. Also a faint smell of sweet and biscuit malt.

Taste:
Definitely notice all of the flora up front, but the taste gets rounded out with the sweet malt and great hop profile. Very well balanced. All of the flavors, play an important role in this beer, and while the flora is prominent, its not screaming for attention.

Mouthfeel:
Feels exactly like it should. (That's what she said)

Overall:
Double IPA's are hard to get right. Especially when you start adding different flora to it. You better know what the hell your doing. The guys at Mammoth nailed this one. You can't sit around and hammer a bunch of these beers. But this one sure did go down fast. A gin drinker's wet dream. Really enjoyed it.

01-18-2014 21:24:20 | More by Theortiz01
Ventana

4.35/5  rDev +17.9%

Vacation in a bottle. Some IPA take us places, most of them nice places. This IPA starts with nice strong note and finishes near a mountain creek with herbal scented winds. Nice break from double IPA's that feel the need to constantly remind you what they are. Nice Amber, acceptable head and body, nice bitter sweet finish. Very drinkable, enjoy.

12-31-2009 02:21:42 | More by Ventana
joebrewer

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

Appearance: Reddish-brown, not cloudy. Poured with some head that didn't completely disappear.

Smell: Great herbal aroma from the sage and juniper. Very bright.

Taste: Very clean and initially it reminds me of a gruit. The hops come through right after the herbs. Great balance between the herbs, hops, and malt.

Mouthfeel: light. The carbonation is a little higher than I expected, but it is not astringent. I think it's appropriate.

Drinkability: Surprisingly good. I really look forward to having another sip.

Other: bought cold from Hi Times. 22oz.

05-27-2010 00:00:51 | More by joebrewer
jeffjeff1

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

I picked this up at the Bevmo in Fairfield.

Appearance- dark amber color, nice looking head

Smell- lots of citrus hops

Taste- piney hops, very nice

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I was really impressed with this beer. It had that hop bite that I love so much and soothes me. Awesome beer

12-12-2010 03:45:09 | More by jeffjeff1
flexabull

4.28/5  rDev +16%

Shared this bomber with a friend in Great Basin National Park about a week ago. This is from notes.

Pours a bright and clean copper color with a big rocky off white head.

Aromas are nice, resiny, pine like, of hard candies, and orange citrus.

Taste is quite bitter. A bit mineral like at first, and then settles into sweet, creamy malt flavors, and some dry hard candies. Finish is crisp, and dry, with a powerful citrus hop bite. I know I am not describing this quite right, but this beer has a really unique citrus and mineral hop flavor to it.

Mouthfeel is pretty good. Maybe just a touch thin, but certainly not bad.

Drinkability is good. This beer surprised me a bit. I wasn't expecting something this good, but wow... this is a very tasty and unique DIPA. I'd easily grab a bottle if I see it again.

07-23-2008 04:05:01 | More by flexabull
magictrokini

4.28/5  rDev +16%

A much different IIPA than I expected. Pours hazy orange-copper with not much of a head. The aroma is very nice. The expected orange, grapefruit, caramel, and pine notes, but mixed with the sweetness of the sage and juniper. The taste follows this theme. All of the IIPA hop tastes are up front, but then mix towards the back with the sage and juniper, giving it a sweet and long finish. A very nice change of pace.

12-10-2008 18:39:22 | More by magictrokini
joepais

Maine

4.2/5  rDev +13.8%

Thanks Flexabull for sending this one out to me. I split the bottle two ways into Sam Addams glasses I had a great cream colored head that settled down to a good film of lace that followed the brew down the glass. The body was a clear reddish brown.

The aromas were quite interesting the juniper was nice experience to savor right up front. It did have a lot of herbal aromas going on some a little strange to me but noticeable. The beer had a citric to it but hidden behind the herbs. The flavor was balanced so it did surprise me to see this in a CA IPA but pleasantly so. It had a medium feel to it with ample carbonation for me.

The brew was easy to drink and I would have liked another glass. A nice surprise for me from California

06-11-2010 15:40:16 | More by joepais
Halcyondays

4.18/5  rDev +13.3%

22 oz. bottle, with a big highway mark of the U.S. 395, my favourite highway, so I had to pick a bottle of this up at Hi-Times,

A: Pours a medium amber, with a full white head, and some nice lacing.

S: Herbal, with sage, cedar, some lavender, and pine hops.

T: Label says sage and juniper added as well in addition to the hop profile, and the sage is definitely there, very herbal and woody, earthy, malts are there, add a toasty flavour, hops are light and a clear bite, but the herbal and cedar character is the main flavour.

M: Light for a Double IPA, nice carbonation note though, easy to drink, alcohol is well hidden, some medicinal character in there as well.

D: This is a really good beer, not a Double IPA in the traditonal sense, I'd recommend this to anyone from Adelanto and the High Desert to Lone Pine to Lee Vining.

02-04-2008 03:42:16 | More by Halcyondays
sloejams

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%

The last beer I reviewed was almost exactly one year ago today. Somehow seeing the score for this, I felt compelled to add my 2 cents - here they are:

Had this on-tap several places in Mammoth over the years. The quality ranges from the shitty Whiskey Creek, with their corroded tap lines; to the pub at the main lodge at Mammoth Mt, where it was as fresh and clean as possible. When it's good, it's great. I think the stock moves out so quickly in the wee village, that you're as likely to get a bottle of it as fresh as any place.

Color-wise: looks like a DIPA: dark and a bit beefy with the froth of a well-groomed IPA. There is the spices in the nose and the taste that throws some people off. I get that. BUT - I like it. It's made with sage and juniper - not necessarily something you expect from an IPA or DIPA.

Whether it is a DIPA or IPA - it doesn't fit to style. I'm not judging it on that (I don't think it's a DIPA - as listed here). It's unique and when fresh - quite delicious. Worth a try, even for the extreme hopheads.

02-02-2010 04:33:00 | More by sloejams
chickencoop

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

I owe this beer to the old beer crew at Hi-Times/ Costa Mesa, Mike and his guys for turning me onto this, the new guys are a little weak i must say. Overall this is a big beer, smell, taste, finish, it is all dominated by that friggin juniper, and it all works. This has taken the IPA thing and moved on from the citrus to another shrub and it is refreshing. This beer alone is good stuff, but beyond that not so much, not very drinkable after the 22.

03-12-2010 06:38:16 | More by chickencoop
tempest

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

I've spent a few days in Mammoth and been enjoying their beers, but this is certainly my favorite. Most of the beers are fairly clean and standard for the style, but this is a truly interesting brew that most breweries should be proud to offer. Behind rich citrus hops (which are pretty normal) there's a lovely undercurrant of the juniper and sage that both sets this IPA apart and gives it great local flavor. If you try anything from this brewery, here's your beer.

09-04-2010 03:34:24 | More by tempest
djeucalyptus

Oregon

4.08/5  rDev +10.6%

12oz bottle from a 4-pack bought while up at Yosemite. pours a stunningly dark caramel glistening with amber and ruby highlights. looks like barleywine. a thick two-finger brown sugary colored head slowly fades leaving immensely chunky lacing down the glass. striking. although unexpected.

aroma packs a wallop. biscuit and caramel malt up front along with citrus hops - almost like fruit slice candy. then a poignantly resinous pine backed by juniper berries, sage, tarragon. It smells like I shoved a pine tree up my nose. or a christmas-themed yankee candle. And I'm loving it.

Taste is intense. rich caramel malt, touch of alcoholic heat, then resinous, sticky pine hops. citrus zest. like chewing on a spruce tree spritzed with lime zest and dunked in gin (all pleasurable in my book). All in all, it's a strong, powerful - if not slightly unbalanced and haphazard - double ipa reminiscent of something along the lines of 120min. A bit hot, a bit strong, a bit pungent, and definitely a lot of juniper and pine character.

mouth is sticky, full, rich, and luscious bubbles caress my tongue and help me forget how confusing and intense this herbal, juniper-fueled trip is.

All in all, i love this. but I love juniper. and I like sage. and I like pine. (now defunct Siletz brewing made an ale with spruce needles instead of hops. and I loved that). As a double IPA goes, this is pretty solid. And I'm going to score it as a double IPA. I like the juniper and sage which puts it in a different category and all in all would lead me to score this evne a bit higher... if it were in a Spiced IPA category. If you like juniper and sage in your beer and like malty, hot IPAs, this is your beer. and if you don't, then it's not for you. But I'm absolutely loving it!

11-06-2010 05:22:24 | More by djeucalyptus
DovaliHops

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a hazy, dark amber color with a large, frothy off-white color head. Scent is EXTREMELY heavy with the sage and juniper berries. You don't need to search for their presence at all. Smells like tree sap, spiciness, maple syrup, and a bit of oregano. Slight hoppiness and caramel malt. Taste is initially hoppy with a strong malt presence. This one tastes like it may be a fresh bottle, as the juniper berries and sage are subdued by the hops and pine (another bottle I had was much more berry and sage forward than hops). Smooth caramel malt and bitter hops throughout. The mellow sage and berries add for a pleasant twist on the standard IPA. Mouthfeel is full-bodied, a bit syrupy, and a crisp finish. Drinkability is high, as the alcohol is well hidden (although more noticeable when beer warms). Overall, this beer was not so great the first time I had it. This time around it tastes pretty damn good. I would definitely buy it again.

12-02-2011 06:20:08 | More by DovaliHops