IPA 395 - Mammoth Brewing Company

IPA 395IPA 395

good

Mammoth Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-04-2008)
1.25/5  rDev -66%

1424IpA, May 18, 2014
1.25/5  rDev -66%

First off let me say I bought a two dollar pint of this beer. It may have been a little old coming out of the keg but I doubt that is the reason for how poorly this beer tastes.

Appearance: Amber in color, much more of a red ale or amber ale look. Head dissipated quickly leaving no lacing.

Smell: Ummm...menthol cigarettes or some sort of skunky mint/dirt taste. Very unpleasant.

Taste: Even more unpleasant than the smell. It is like liking an ashtray.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation was fine and it finished as smooth as a horrible beer can finish.

Overall: This beer gave me a headache about 5 sips in. Avoid at all costs.

TheFlern, May 25, 2011
1.9/5  rDev -48.4%

8%, 50 IBU. 22oz bottle

Appearance: a murky amber brown.

Smell: Sage.

Taste: first sip earns the "gross beer face". The herbal sage flavor dominates completely. The sage and juniper additions really don't support the IPA, since I didn't really notice anything else. And they don't stand on their own, because the overall flavor is way out of balance.

I couldn't drink much of this. However, I came back later and had a sip from the now-room-temperature bottle, and found that when warm, enough malt comes forward to play down the herbs. If you have a bottle of this, make sure to serve it on the warm end of the spectrum!

mfaulk, Mar 06, 2011
1.93/5  rDev -47.6%

(reviewed from notes; sampled sometime in late September '11)

I was very intrigued after reading the bottle while perusing the shelves at my local bottle shop. It says they use juniper and sage, along with local hops, in this one. Well, it definitely shines through and not in a pleasant way.

Appearance is typical of the style. Smell offers a glimpse of the unpleasantness to come. Very strange, off-putting aroma of wild flora (I guess that's the juniper and sage).

Taste is very unpleasant. I got a few sips down and had had enough. Imagine gathering some very wild, very dry sage, juniper leaves, and hops, and then soaking them in sugary water... that is what this beer tasted like.

I don't remember what the mouthfeel was like, as the awful taste dominated all else, so I'll just call the mouthfeel average.

I'd heard where this beer had given some others a bad headache. After only several sips, I felt it start to go to work on my cranium. Down the drain it went, and fast.

Very disappointed. I like the bottle, the description, the thought and the effort, but the beer was not good at all.

gregb13, Oct 31, 2011

Topher78, Jun 13, 2013
2.13/5  rDev -42.1%

A: The pour is amber in color with a creamy off-white head.

S: The amount of sage in this beer is nearing ridiculous. And when you get passed the sage, there is juniper, and a lot of that too. Overall, a very vegetal and wild aroma.

T: A solid bitterness which is really the only thing that is reminiscent of an IPA in this beer. Lots of herbal notes, and the sage just takes over this beer.

M: Medium in terms of both body and carbonation.

D: This was just bad. I like sage in reasonable amounts in food, and juniper is a good herb as well (I'm a big gin fan), but this just does not work.

womencantsail, Aug 20, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -38.9%

Davidjubeck, Aug 04, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -38.9%

Poured into Founders snifter.

Pours about a finger of khaki head. Decent retention with some lace. Color is a clear ruby hued mahogany.

Aroma: Almost smells like cedar. The spices(juniper berries) add a unique flavor. Very herbal like. Pine flavored hops. Some grapefruit citrus. Unique.

Taste: Very grassy/weedy/piney hops. The spices are way too much for me. Juniper in ipa = odd. The malt profile doesn't show to much because the spice dominates the pallet. Very odd.

Mouthfeel: Bitter and spiced. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with more spiced and some stickiness.

Overall, the spices take too much away from the hops. If I wanted a dipa, I would go for something else. This one just doesn't cut it for me.

mothman, Oct 07, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -37.5%

22 ounce bottle purchased from Hi Times. Comes in at 8% and 90 IBUs. No bottling info is given.

A-Pours a copper color that has a nice glow when held to the light. It has a two finger off white head that dissipates to a nice level. Leaves streaks of sticky lace.

S-Completely unique for the style and something that I did not enjoy. It starts with some pine and sugary sweetness. They used sage in this beer and it quickly becomes overpowering. It reminded me of a flavor that would work well in a vegetable stock. The sage is inescapable and wasn't to my liking.

T-Like the nose, the sage is everywhere, along with the juniper used in this beer.

M-Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D-The sage flavor was not for me.

I was quite disappointed in this beer. I enjoyed their Epic IPA and did not know I was getting a beer that resembled vegetable stock. Lovers of sage and/or oregano in heavy doses will like this one.

mjl21, Jan 03, 2010
2.38/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 22 oz bomber to pint glass. 4/20/11.

A - reddish brown with 1 finger off white head. Reasonably good lacing. Coloring is not reminiscent of the style. Way too dark.

S - Any hopping is far overpowered by caramel, brown sugar, basil and juniper berries. It's very aromatic, but not like an IPA should be.

T - Taste follows the nose well. Very malty and herbal upfront, and finishes dry like gin on the back. Too sweet for me and very strange basil taste. This one isn't for me.

M - Mouthfeel isn't terrible. A bit astringent but the texture and carbonation are decent.

O - I'll pass on this one. It's more of an herbal red ale and doesn't make a strong showing for the style.

dmsohyea, Apr 21, 2011

sansho, Feb 05, 2013

zaptone, Apr 15, 2013

Lobina, Apr 27, 2014

Honeybourne, Jul 20, 2014
2.78/5  rDev -24.5%

Thanks to Ultraman9000 for this bottle. Poured in to Duvel tulip.

A - Medium to dark amber; opaque. A small amount of khaki coloured head. Looks like a barleywine.

S - A lot of caramel sweetness at first. Some floral notes and a smell that I can't put my finger on that is definitely herbal (likely the sage), which is somewhat off-putting.

T - The herbal (sage?) flavour dominates the palate, making it difficult to detect the hops and the sweet caramel that was in the nose. Very strong earthy taste. There is a slight bitterness present along with a slight sweetness, but overall the herbal flavour overpowers the palate and dominates.

M - Medium body; light to moderate carbonation.

D - I didn't enjoy this one and I could not figure out how this was possible a DIPA (old bottle), but it was interesting to try.

TheSevenDuffs, Feb 17, 2011
2.78/5  rDev -24.5%

I don't know what to say about this beer other than that I am really confused.

The beer pours a golden color with a very nice, thick head that leaves good lace. The smell is of fresh hops and herbs, with a very strong perfume essence...almost to the point of overbearing, but I think it is welcoming because it is stronger than any other IPA i have had.

Now for the taste; wtf? Whoa, I was completely thrown off and, unfortunately, turned off by this beer. I think the sage and juniper flavors are way too overpowering and takes away form the underlying IPA style. It's as if sage perfume was dumped into the beer. The sage and juniper really doesn't hit you until you swallow, then the essence arrives very strongly. In my opinion, this much herb flavor isn't a good match for a bitter, hoppy, beer.

If you love sage, then this is your beer. It's definitely worth trying just so you can see what it is like, but I will definitely stay away from this one.

Douglas14, Oct 16, 2008
2.83/5  rDev -23.1%

22oz bomber poured into a tulip glass. Bought last week but no other freshness info. Very deep, dark amber color, like the color of bourbon. Nice head formation but it disappears quickly. No lacing. Smell is malty sweet, then slightly hoppy before quickly transitioning to a, for lack of a better word, "musty" sage scent. Carbonation is a little low and the overall mouthfeel is pretty thick, more so than I like. Goes down like a big, heavy beer. The taste is interesting and complex. Mostly sage and roasted malt on the palate up front but you can still get a sense of the hops. The juniper kind of comes through at the end adding an extra dimension to the hops. I'd like the hops more at the fore especially since they still leave a nice bitterness even after having to overcome so much else going on. Overall, a unique interpretation of the style but the excessive malt makes it come off like a bitter amber ale and the sage just doesn't present well in this beer.

hoppyhampy, May 31, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -23.1%

22oz bottle courtesy of solomon420. Nice dark orange appearance. It smells almost like a DIPA but then the herbs come in, and nto the good kind. Once I tasted it I felt like someone had lit up a bunch of sage and waved it in my face. This was too strange and not something I look for in a DIPA. It is different though...

ArrogantB, Sep 17, 2008