Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

IPA 395 - Mammoth Brewing Company

IPA 395IPA 395

Mammoth Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-04-2008

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

22oz bomber

Appearance- Orange copper and swirling carbonation, light tan creamy, great attenuation

Smell- citrus, ripe grapefruit and tangerine, hop bitterness finish

Taste- malts superbly balanced with hops, light toast and malt sweetness,

Mouthfeel- medium-bodied, hop oiliness, light carbonation tingle

Overall- Hearty IIPA, big on the malt but very nicely countered by hops of the centennial variety (409 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -7.7%

12oz to snifter, no freshness date
8%abv and 50 ibus

A- Dark murky orange, shades of red, brown, meeting in the middle with a solid cloudy rust color. Very dark for an ipa, Pours with mild head, however has some of the best lacing down the sides of the glass as I swirl it of any beer I've had

S- Overwhelming juniper, sage, pine, and hops. Very earthy, notes of bready malt come though the back with a spicky smell of pine resin. Grassy floral overtones. Very different, but very good

T- Strong pine and juniper mostly at the beginning, following through with hops and herbs. Solid pine after taste

M- Spicy and creamy. Pine resins and oils cover the inside of your mouth leaving it sticky. Not the smoothest, but has a solid dry finish

O- Not necessarily a bad beer, but it deviates from the style too far to be marketed as a double ipa. Very unique and something I'd recommend trying, but not as drinkable as many dipas out there. That said, I'll probably pick up another bottle someday (994 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -5.1%

Bottle (2012)

Thanks for bringing this back for me, ryno09!

Dark amber and ruby with a thin off-khaki colored head, eventually leaving irregular dots and lines of lace down the glass. Pretty.

The aroma is unique, though also exactly what I expected: sage and juniper berries lead, along with some other floral notes, caramel, and a hint of alcohol.

The flavor is similar to the aroma, with earth, sage, and berry flavors leading the way, along with floral notes, caramel sweetness, and a bit of alcohol presence.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

A very unique, IPA, though I couldn't drink a ton of this like I could my favorite IPAs. (648 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -2.4%

Thanks to Benny for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a hazy dark copper with a foamy orange-tan head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, sage, and juniper berries. Taste is much the same with a herbal hop finish. There is a medium hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with some interesting herbal and spice aromas and flavors. (528 characters)

After a 10 day trip through California, I can easily say that Mammoth's 395 was my favorite discovery, and a great way to end the day in Yosemite.

As an IPA man this beer did it. It had a very light mouthfeel that complimented very well with the sharper hoppy flavor. The juniper berries were also easily detectable and helped refine the taste.

If you see it buy it! But I wouldn't recommend aging it, as it seems like its meant to be had as fresh as possible. (463 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +25.5%

This looks good with a big foamy head that reduces to a snow cap atop an almost amber reddish hued brew. The aroma is engaging and complex, hoppy and beguiling.

What at first I think are piney tropical pineapplefruit almost-medicinal notes develops into a strong juniper aroma.

It makes me think of a fresh forest aroma after a rainfall, of Michigan evergreens, of summer rains and cooling nights…. And that’s just from the aroma.

The flavor brings it on with a gruit-like almost medicinal juniper assault. There’s a hint of sage which mellows things out and some light chew. At 8% this is more IPA than double. Finishes with a little bit of pine backbone, some resin & a light chew. Warms well. Remains fantastic throughout.

Bought to share with a buddy but due to commitments we had to postpone for a month. Hope to find another one of these by then!

Utterly delicious, fantastic brew. More more more por favor (926 characters)

Big thanks to Morgan for this one!

A: Pours a dark amber color with a one finger egg-shell white head. Decent retention with lacing all around the glass.

S: Now that's a bit different. Lots of juniper and sage with some piney hops underneath. Would have liked the hop aromas to be a bit stronger compared to the juniper and sage, but I still like how this one smells.

T: Similar to the aroma but a bit more balanced. More sage and juniper with a bit more pine and faint citrus fruits. There is also some grassy hops.

M: Medium bodied, maybe a tad light for a DIPA, but easy drinking. No abv, but slightly medicinal.

O: A different take on a DIPA. Not as hoppy as most, but I actually quite enjoyed it. Would certainly recommend it. (740 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -5.1%

picked this up on a whim, never even heard of the brewery before. nor did i read the label, "... with juniper and sage"! if i had read it i wouldn't a bought it, but i am glad i tried this brew.

pours a dark amber, nothing like you expect an IIPA to look like, with adequate carbonation and small white head.

the smell is abundant with juniper and sage, and at most a faint hint of hops.

the juniper fades on the tasting and the sage comes out big time, teaming with a decent resiny bitter hop flavor for a surprising mix, the sage very fragrant in the upper palate and a good bitterness on the tongue.

not a bad beer to cook with -- i deglazed a pan of caramelized onions to nice effect. i wouldn't go out of my way for this but it was pretty good. (755 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

Review from 7/2011 notes. Poured into a tall cylinder glass. Pours a dark brown-orange amber, half finger of light tan head, moderate lacing. Aroma of hops, sage. Very aromatic and appealing. Taste is light malt, dry hops, sage and juniper. Not very complex, but tasty and enjoyable. I liked this IPA. (301 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +22.1%

Source/Serving: 12 oz. bottle

S: Juniper is the most forward with a soft, green herbal (thyme, oregano) character provided by the sage and hops, which blend nicely together and make you feel like you are in a forest. Solid malt backbone with notes of caramel and semi-ripe red fruit. A touch of alcohol even is its only slightly warm, but its very clean and works well with the juniper.

T: The juniper imparts an earthy/twiggy, somewhat medicinal/herbal note, that is prevalent up front. The slightly drying effect of juniper along with moderate, but firm, bitterness gives this brew a certain stark appeal and on the bitter side from the get-go. However, as you acclimate, the front side reaches a nice balanced sweet-bitter contrast. I'm a sucker for juniper, so I like it a lot and think its very drinkable, but it could be too much for some. The middle flavors up the bitterness a bit more so that its solid, especially for a DIPA, but never too much. The bitterness has an earthy, treebark, almost black pepper character from the juniper, which I like. Moderately high carbonation and light acidity keeps things bright, which plays off the heavy juniper notes well. Hop flavors come through and I really enjoy the unexpected flavor that the sage adds, melding with herbal, peppery, piney, resiny hops to create something unique and enjoyable. Hints of flowers, sap, resin, and cucumber. The body of this is a little heavy for my tastes given the dry, stark, intensity of flavors, which impacts drinkability to some extent even with the slightly high carbonation as its quite 'full'. Finish lingers long with a touch of bitterness on the tongue, lip-sticking thick sweetness, a more herbal/medicinal juniper edge, pepper, and light hoppiness.

Notes: I love juniper and this is well done, and I love unique hop flavors which this brew does excellently by including sage. So, I love the unique flavors and the firm bitterness is on point for my tastes. (1,958 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +17.6%

I tried this at MBC, and have bought a growler to review. Again, I really enjoy this brewery, so take this review with that in mind.

The beer pours a strong, even, off-white head with a reddish color and incredible pine/sage/juniper smell. The smell reminds me of the high desert when it rains. The smell is clean, crisp, and intense. The taste is almost a little too sweet from the high level of malt that is required to balance the bitterness of the sage and juniper, I assume. The beer is still approachable and drinkable with a smooth, clean mouthfeel.

My overall impression is that this beer brings back a lot of nostalgia about the mountains and high desert that I really like. (685 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +8.2%

Mammoth 395 ipa

22 from brewery. Can't believe I've never reviewed this. One of my favorites.

A- pour produces a 1/12 finger deep beige head restig on a hazy amber/copper body. Good retention. Very good lacing. 4

S-huge whiff of juniper and sage with a juicy citrus hop smell evening It out. Light malt smell. This smells like no beer I've ever had and I love it every time I open one.  Amazing smell4.5

T- just like the nose sage and  juniper berries are very present with the juicy hops. It is pretty malty as well. I must say that I really love this beer. There seems to be some batch variation some definitely better than others. Usually superb though 4

M- slightly thin for a beer this big. Good carbonation 3.5

O- one of a kind and I love it every time. Definitely a love it or hate it beer. You have to really like juniper and sage to like this one 4

A- (877 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a hazy, dark amber color with a large, frothy off-white color head. Scent is EXTREMELY heavy with the sage and juniper berries. You don't need to search for their presence at all. Smells like tree sap, spiciness, maple syrup, and a bit of oregano. Slight hoppiness and caramel malt. Taste is initially hoppy with a strong malt presence. This one tastes like it may be a fresh bottle, as the juniper berries and sage are subdued by the hops and pine (another bottle I had was much more berry and sage forward than hops). Smooth caramel malt and bitter hops throughout. The mellow sage and berries add for a pleasant twist on the standard IPA. Mouthfeel is full-bodied, a bit syrupy, and a crisp finish. Drinkability is high, as the alcohol is well hidden (although more noticeable when beer warms). Overall, this beer was not so great the first time I had it. This time around it tastes pretty damn good. I would definitely buy it again. (942 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Amber, slightly hazy, moderate lacing, off-white head.

Smell: juniper, malty, hoppy, pine resin, sage.

Taste: very malty, subtle hops, juniper, sage.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, light carbonation, smooth.

Overall: A decent beer. Minimal hop profile. A drinkable beer, but not a good IPA by west coast standards. (351 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

I try to drink as much of this stuff as I can, this review is from the most recent batch that baybassboy brought back for me. Thanks.
Pours much darker then you would expect for the style and I welcome this, its got good clarity and one of those signiture giagantic frothy heads from Mammoth Brewing, the head sticks to the glass and doesn't uncling until its washed off.
Right off the bat you know why this is IPA 395, if you have ever been to the Eastern Sierra's you know what I'm talking about, full of sage, pine and floral hops, juniper with a slight malt profile.
So much sage in this beer. Feels like I had my head out the window smacking sage brush with my mouth open going 70 up 395. There is a slight bitterness and floral hops as well as some malt background.
Medium bodied with a sticky resin clinging to the mouth and well carbed.
DIPA? I understand why this beer gets some bad reviews and may not be enjoyable for everyone, I however love this beer and its one of my all time favorites. (1,001 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -47.3%

(reviewed from notes; sampled sometime in late September '11)

I was very intrigued after reading the bottle while perusing the shelves at my local bottle shop. It says they use juniper and sage, along with local hops, in this one. Well, it definitely shines through and not in a pleasant way.

Appearance is typical of the style. Smell offers a glimpse of the unpleasantness to come. Very strange, off-putting aroma of wild flora (I guess that's the juniper and sage).

Taste is very unpleasant. I got a few sips down and had had enough. Imagine gathering some very wild, very dry sage, juniper leaves, and hops, and then soaking them in sugary water... that is what this beer tasted like.

I don't remember what the mouthfeel was like, as the awful taste dominated all else, so I'll just call the mouthfeel average.

I'd heard where this beer had given some others a bad headache. After only several sips, I felt it start to go to work on my cranium. Down the drain it went, and fast.

Very disappointed. I like the bottle, the description, the thought and the effort, but the beer was not good at all. (1,105 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -12.2%

Incredibly intense, almost forbiddingly so.

Pours a deep copper with a thick dense head. The aroma is a blast of piny hops. The flavor is quite malty, lots of crystal malt, with a vast wall of piny and citrus hops, so intense as to almost have a menthol edge. The mouthfeel is thick and the finish is hot and bitter.

This is not a refreshing beer. It is just too intense to be really enjoyable, even by DIPA standards. (420 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -1.6%

22oz bottle.

Pours cloudy amber with some fine particulates and a half inch head of beige. Broken sheets of lacing and a solid skim coat on the surface for the duration.

Aromatics lead off with earthy sage, gin-like juniper, and pine bark. Quite earthy with plenty of spice and a hint of peppercorns.

Medium bodied with a slight chew and a doughy mouthfeel.

Spicy juniper with earthy sage start the palate. A moderate bitterness with shades of grapefruit and pine follows through along with a solvent-like nod.

Finishes with pungent juniper and sage with fading hop resins and a solventy bite.

A very interesting beer, but the spicing is way heavy and I think it's the intense juniper that gives the beer the commercial cleaner mid-flavor and finish. It's hard to get past and reminds me of diluted ammonia.
Overall the beer is foremost a spiced beer and barely recognizable as an IPA, let alone a IIPA. (910 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

849th Review on BA
Bottle to Tulip
22oz

No date

Purchased from a Shell station in Bishop, CA

App- A caramel medium brown with a 1-1/2" finger head with a soft white fast receding head. A good amount of cling and webbing.

Smell- This was uniquely aromatic. I can't say I've had Juniper or Sage in a beer but I liked the spicy, earthy, grassy notes. Wasn't the most appealing but still quite good.

Taste- A very tasty and big IPA. Many flavors blend to come together into one almost harmonious balance. A little berry flavor with a lot of earthy from the spice of the sage.

Mouth- A medium bodied beer with a medium carbonation. Berry and sage and a bit one dimensional.

Drink- A nice and spicy dry DIPA. The sage is unique to the profile. A bit thick and a touch too malty where the juniper should dominate. Pretty damn tasty though. (839 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -11.4%

A: Reddish/Copper color with a 2 finger tan head. Spotty lacing down the glass.

S: I may have let this one age a little too long. Sweet malts, juniper and some caramel. Slight floral hops.

T: Not getting a ton of hops here. Some faded hop resin along with caramel malts, juniper, some sage and a lot of buttery oak. Not great. (328 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

Finally found a beer brewed with sage! Very excited about this. Anyways Bought this at a local market, says its brewed with Juniper Berries and Desert Sage. Surprised however at the level of IBU per what the Web sight says its at 60IBUs for a DIPA? really? I'd expect 80 or above for a double but I'll get over it.

A-Unexpectedly poured a dark ruby red color with a frothy soap like head that held up quite nicely. Good active carbonation.

S-Damn strait!! Sage! Nice earthy notes of fresh mottled sage. Good sweet malt aroma.

T- Earthy spiciness, mottled fresh sage, mint, nice earthy hop character with a surprisingly sweet malt backbone, that I find should be as load as it is in this style. However this beer reflects were it comes from. Very earthy, alot of medicinal type flavors coming through, nice sweetness to it although for the style shouldn’t be as pronounced.

M- Creamy and smooth, little sticky sweetness to it and for the style of it being a DIPA i don’t understand the malt strength. Maybe its the juniper berries.? Pump up those IBU's to 80 or so I'd think they have something going.

O-The sage surprisingly works well with this beer! Bout time someone does it. I think if i were camping, maybe even fishing out in the Seirra's I'd be in a better mood for this beer. Judging this beer for being DIPA my grade would be much lower but for what this beer is. I'd score well.. Much Higher. Buy it, try it and enjoy. (1,438 characters)

A big thanks to DarthKostrizer for this extra. Cheers!

Appearance – Pours a rather dark cloudy orange color into my tulip. About a finger of tan head is achieved that dissipates quickly leaving slight lacing.

Smell – Pine, hops, spices, herbs, mint, floral aromas, and malty backbone.

Taste – I tasted this without reading any reviews. The first thing that came to my mind was mint (which I am a huge mint fan so this intrigued me). I will admit, this beer states it is brewed in winter so I’m not sure how fresh this is. That said, this does not really remind me of a DIPA. It does still have some hop characteristics, however, it is more sweet now, like a barelywine. However, I don’t know, it works? I am really enjoying the spices/mint that is intermixed within this beer, and the more sweet backbone. It’s working for me…

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, decent carbonation.

Overall – Honestly, I’m not sure what to think. For a DIPA, it is bad. But for whatever I’m drinking, it’s not that bad. If you gave this to me and said it was supposed to be a DIPA I would laugh – there really is not much here that would make me think that. However, if you said it was a fresher barlywine mixed with herbs and mint, I’d agree completely. I’m oddly enjoying this beer and would no joke like to have another one or two in order to age them to see if it becomes even more barleywine like as it progresses. (1,429 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

A&S - Pours a deep copper with a good amount of eggshell colored head, smells of caramel malt, a lot of piney hops, some sage adding to the earthiness.

T&M - Tastes very dry on the front with lots of sticky pine, it then turns sweet on the back with lots of that caramel malt and sage working together with a strong hop presence. Mouthfeel is well carbonated for its medium body.

O - Not a favorite but overall a nice beer.

After a trip to Mammoth I cracked this one open at home on a hot day, after the first sip I realized this was meant to be drank in the local area while skiing or fishing. The earthiness is very strong but on a nice day in mammoth it would really hit the spot. The pine presence is also very strong, which may be a bad thing for some. Mammoth Brewing has now become a place i'll stop by while i'm in the area, however most brews lack the wow factor and a reason for me to recommend them to other, and so forth. Overall pick this one up if your in the area and be sure to drink it while your there, also the bottles makes a nice addition to the collection. Stay thirsty my friends! (1,106 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +17.6%

dark orange amber color and a huge head of white coming up and over the top. Majestic looking would be the right word here. Thick lacing up and down the sides of the glass throughout. Most pungent aroma I have come across in as long as I can remember. Thick dose of grapefruit and orange right up front. Huge sticky hops just dripping off of this one. Rich and sweet as I take the first sip. Grapefruit and sugar dipped prange just coating the tongue. Soo fresh it almost hurts. Even warming it brings no relief as the hops are soo thick and omnipresent that you are just taken a back and completely blown away. (611 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Slightly hazy, medium amber color with over one finger of cinnamon-tinted foam head. Moderate lacing remains on the glass.

S: Entirely unconventional with pungent herbaceous spice consisting of aromatic wild sage. Malt and hops never have a chance in the face of the chemical harshness of surface cleaner and lemon-lime soda. No alcohol is detected.

T: Begins off-dry, with summery sage and conifer foliage that is surprisingly authentic--not in the sense that it is an authentic IPA, but rather reminiscent of a hot summer day spent hiking in the California mountains. Acidity is kept under tight control, and malt is also a factor, contributing a caramel backbone in addition to the suggestion of sweetness. Moderate bitterness develops into the finish, still tasting of sage. No alcohol is detected.

M: Medium viscosity, slightly sticky and warming on the palate but only weakly astringent (despite a smell and flavor that suggests there ought to be more,) with low carbonation.

D/O: While this is probably not a beer one would want to drink frequently--or a lot of--it is uncanny in its ability to transport the senses back to earlier times spent hiking along hot and dusty trails through a landscape of inland sage scrub and chaparral. It is starting to seem like the IPA styles are not the specialty of this brewery, but the mastery shown here in imparting intense and focused herbal notes makes one think that Mammoth should focus their efforts toward those off-beat but characterful fruit and vegetable beers that seem to pop up in the least expected places. (1,615 characters)

IPA 395 from Mammoth Brewing Company