1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

IPA 395 - Mammoth Brewing Company

IPA 395IPA 395

good

Mammoth Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-04-2008)
4.63/5  rDev +25.8%

Source/Serving: 12 oz. bottle

S: Juniper is the most forward with a soft, green herbal (thyme, oregano) character provided by the sage and hops, which blend nicely together and make you feel like you are in a forest. Solid malt backbone with notes of caramel and semi-ripe red fruit. A touch of alcohol even is its only slightly warm, but its very clean and works well with the juniper.

T: The juniper imparts an earthy/twiggy, somewhat medicinal/herbal note, that is prevalent up front. The slightly drying effect of juniper along with moderate, but firm, bitterness gives this brew a certain stark appeal and on the bitter side from the get-go. However, as you acclimate, the front side reaches a nice balanced sweet-bitter contrast. I'm a sucker for juniper, so I like it a lot and think its very drinkable, but it could be too much for some. The middle flavors up the bitterness a bit more so that its solid, especially for a DIPA, but never too much. The bitterness has an earthy, treebark, almost black pepper character from the juniper, which I like. Moderately high carbonation and light acidity keeps things bright, which plays off the heavy juniper notes well. Hop flavors come through and I really enjoy the unexpected flavor that the sage adds, melding with herbal, peppery, piney, resiny hops to create something unique and enjoyable. Hints of flowers, sap, resin, and cucumber. The body of this is a little heavy for my tastes given the dry, stark, intensity of flavors, which impacts drinkability to some extent even with the slightly high carbonation as its quite 'full'. Finish lingers long with a touch of bitterness on the tongue, lip-sticking thick sweetness, a more herbal/medicinal juniper edge, pepper, and light hoppiness.

Notes: I love juniper and this is well done, and I love unique hop flavors which this brew does excellently by including sage. So, I love the unique flavors and the firm bitterness is on point for my tastes.

4000qtrap, Mar 03, 2012

ygtbsm94, Jan 29, 2012

Cinderbike, Jan 28, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +19%

I tried this at MBC, and have bought a growler to review. Again, I really enjoy this brewery, so take this review with that in mind.

The beer pours a strong, even, off-white head with a reddish color and incredible pine/sage/juniper smell. The smell reminds me of the high desert when it rains. The smell is clean, crisp, and intense. The taste is almost a little too sweet from the high level of malt that is required to balance the bitterness of the sage and juniper, I assume. The beer is still approachable and drinkable with a smooth, clean mouthfeel.

My overall impression is that this beer brings back a lot of nostalgia about the mountains and high desert that I really like.

Fillpott, Jan 21, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

TrojanWheels, Jan 18, 2012

dfillius, Jan 10, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +10.1%

Mammoth 395 ipa

22 from brewery. Can't believe I've never reviewed this. One of my favorites.

A- pour produces a 1/12 finger deep beige head restig on a hazy amber/copper body. Good retention. Very good lacing. 4

S-huge whiff of juniper and sage with a juicy citrus hop smell evening It out. Light malt smell. This smells like no beer I've ever had and I love it every time I open one.  Amazing smell4.5

T- just like the nose sage and  juniper berries are very present with the juicy hops. It is pretty malty as well. I must say that I really love this beer. There seems to be some batch variation some definitely better than others. Usually superb though 4

M- slightly thin for a beer this big. Good carbonation 3.5

O- one of a kind and I love it every time. Definitely a love it or hate it beer. You have to really like juniper and sage to like this one 4

A-

t420o, Dec 15, 2011

penginpunk, Dec 12, 2011

mhaugo, Dec 09, 2011

jcanddr, Dec 03, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a hazy, dark amber color with a large, frothy off-white color head. Scent is EXTREMELY heavy with the sage and juniper berries. You don't need to search for their presence at all. Smells like tree sap, spiciness, maple syrup, and a bit of oregano. Slight hoppiness and caramel malt. Taste is initially hoppy with a strong malt presence. This one tastes like it may be a fresh bottle, as the juniper berries and sage are subdued by the hops and pine (another bottle I had was much more berry and sage forward than hops). Smooth caramel malt and bitter hops throughout. The mellow sage and berries add for a pleasant twist on the standard IPA. Mouthfeel is full-bodied, a bit syrupy, and a crisp finish. Drinkability is high, as the alcohol is well hidden (although more noticeable when beer warms). Overall, this beer was not so great the first time I had it. This time around it tastes pretty damn good. I would definitely buy it again.

DovaliHops, Dec 02, 2011

jenray, Nov 28, 2011

nmann08, Nov 18, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Amber, slightly hazy, moderate lacing, off-white head.

Smell: juniper, malty, hoppy, pine resin, sage.

Taste: very malty, subtle hops, juniper, sage.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, light carbonation, smooth.

Overall: A decent beer. Minimal hop profile. A drinkable beer, but not a good IPA by west coast standards.

phichifiji00, Nov 16, 2011

projhex, Nov 15, 2011

ElGallo, Nov 15, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

I try to drink as much of this stuff as I can, this review is from the most recent batch that baybassboy brought back for me. Thanks.
Pours much darker then you would expect for the style and I welcome this, its got good clarity and one of those signiture giagantic frothy heads from Mammoth Brewing, the head sticks to the glass and doesn't uncling until its washed off.
Right off the bat you know why this is IPA 395, if you have ever been to the Eastern Sierra's you know what I'm talking about, full of sage, pine and floral hops, juniper with a slight malt profile.
So much sage in this beer. Feels like I had my head out the window smacking sage brush with my mouth open going 70 up 395. There is a slight bitterness and floral hops as well as some malt background.
Medium bodied with a sticky resin clinging to the mouth and well carbed.
DIPA? I understand why this beer gets some bad reviews and may not be enjoyable for everyone, I however love this beer and its one of my all time favorites.

BdubleEdubleRUN, Nov 13, 2011
1.93/5  rDev -47.6%

(reviewed from notes; sampled sometime in late September '11)

I was very intrigued after reading the bottle while perusing the shelves at my local bottle shop. It says they use juniper and sage, along with local hops, in this one. Well, it definitely shines through and not in a pleasant way.

Appearance is typical of the style. Smell offers a glimpse of the unpleasantness to come. Very strange, off-putting aroma of wild flora (I guess that's the juniper and sage).

Taste is very unpleasant. I got a few sips down and had had enough. Imagine gathering some very wild, very dry sage, juniper leaves, and hops, and then soaking them in sugary water... that is what this beer tasted like.

I don't remember what the mouthfeel was like, as the awful taste dominated all else, so I'll just call the mouthfeel average.

I'd heard where this beer had given some others a bad headache. After only several sips, I felt it start to go to work on my cranium. Down the drain it went, and fast.

Very disappointed. I like the bottle, the description, the thought and the effort, but the beer was not good at all.

gregb13, Oct 31, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

Incredibly intense, almost forbiddingly so.

Pours a deep copper with a thick dense head. The aroma is a blast of piny hops. The flavor is quite malty, lots of crystal malt, with a vast wall of piny and citrus hops, so intense as to almost have a menthol edge. The mouthfeel is thick and the finish is hot and bitter.

This is not a refreshing beer. It is just too intense to be really enjoyable, even by DIPA standards.

Seanibus, Oct 22, 2011
3.68/5  rDev 0%

22oz bottle.

Pours cloudy amber with some fine particulates and a half inch head of beige. Broken sheets of lacing and a solid skim coat on the surface for the duration.

Aromatics lead off with earthy sage, gin-like juniper, and pine bark. Quite earthy with plenty of spice and a hint of peppercorns.

Medium bodied with a slight chew and a doughy mouthfeel.

Spicy juniper with earthy sage start the palate. A moderate bitterness with shades of grapefruit and pine follows through along with a solvent-like nod.

Finishes with pungent juniper and sage with fading hop resins and a solventy bite.

A very interesting beer, but the spicing is way heavy and I think it's the intense juniper that gives the beer the commercial cleaner mid-flavor and finish. It's hard to get past and reminds me of diluted ammonia.
Overall the beer is foremost a spiced beer and barely recognizable as an IPA, let alone a IIPA.

brewandbbq, Oct 15, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

849th Review on BA
Bottle to Tulip
22oz

No date

Purchased from a Shell station in Bishop, CA

App- A caramel medium brown with a 1-1/2" finger head with a soft white fast receding head. A good amount of cling and webbing.

Smell- This was uniquely aromatic. I can't say I've had Juniper or Sage in a beer but I liked the spicy, earthy, grassy notes. Wasn't the most appealing but still quite good.

Taste- A very tasty and big IPA. Many flavors blend to come together into one almost harmonious balance. A little berry flavor with a lot of earthy from the spice of the sage.

Mouth- A medium bodied beer with a medium carbonation. Berry and sage and a bit one dimensional.

Drink- A nice and spicy dry DIPA. The sage is unique to the profile. A bit thick and a touch too malty where the juniper should dominate. Pretty damn tasty though.

FosterJM, Oct 08, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -10.3%

A: Reddish/Copper color with a 2 finger tan head. Spotty lacing down the glass.

S: I may have let this one age a little too long. Sweet malts, juniper and some caramel. Slight floral hops.

T: Not getting a ton of hops here. Some faded hop resin along with caramel malts, juniper, some sage and a lot of buttery oak. Not great.

notchucknorris, Oct 07, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -1.4%

Finally found a beer brewed with sage! Very excited about this. Anyways Bought this at a local market, says its brewed with Juniper Berries and Desert Sage. Surprised however at the level of IBU per what the Web sight says its at 60IBUs for a DIPA? really? I'd expect 80 or above for a double but I'll get over it.

A-Unexpectedly poured a dark ruby red color with a frothy soap like head that held up quite nicely. Good active carbonation.

S-Damn strait!! Sage! Nice earthy notes of fresh mottled sage. Good sweet malt aroma.

T- Earthy spiciness, mottled fresh sage, mint, nice earthy hop character with a surprisingly sweet malt backbone, that I find should be as load as it is in this style. However this beer reflects were it comes from. Very earthy, alot of medicinal type flavors coming through, nice sweetness to it although for the style shouldn’t be as pronounced.

M- Creamy and smooth, little sticky sweetness to it and for the style of it being a DIPA i don’t understand the malt strength. Maybe its the juniper berries.? Pump up those IBU's to 80 or so I'd think they have something going.

O-The sage surprisingly works well with this beer! Bout time someone does it. I think if i were camping, maybe even fishing out in the Seirra's I'd be in a better mood for this beer. Judging this beer for being DIPA my grade would be much lower but for what this beer is. I'd score well.. Much Higher. Buy it, try it and enjoy.

beerman21, Aug 03, 2011

A big thanks to DarthKostrizer for this extra. Cheers!

Appearance – Pours a rather dark cloudy orange color into my tulip. About a finger of tan head is achieved that dissipates quickly leaving slight lacing.

Smell – Pine, hops, spices, herbs, mint, floral aromas, and malty backbone.

Taste – I tasted this without reading any reviews. The first thing that came to my mind was mint (which I am a huge mint fan so this intrigued me). I will admit, this beer states it is brewed in winter so I’m not sure how fresh this is. That said, this does not really remind me of a DIPA. It does still have some hop characteristics, however, it is more sweet now, like a barelywine. However, I don’t know, it works? I am really enjoying the spices/mint that is intermixed within this beer, and the more sweet backbone. It’s working for me…

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, decent carbonation.

Overall – Honestly, I’m not sure what to think. For a DIPA, it is bad. But for whatever I’m drinking, it’s not that bad. If you gave this to me and said it was supposed to be a DIPA I would laugh – there really is not much here that would make me think that. However, if you said it was a fresher barlywine mixed with herbs and mint, I’d agree completely. I’m oddly enjoying this beer and would no joke like to have another one or two in order to age them to see if it becomes even more barleywine like as it progresses.

SpdKilz, Jul 01, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -1.4%

A&S - Pours a deep copper with a good amount of eggshell colored head, smells of caramel malt, a lot of piney hops, some sage adding to the earthiness.

T&M - Tastes very dry on the front with lots of sticky pine, it then turns sweet on the back with lots of that caramel malt and sage working together with a strong hop presence. Mouthfeel is well carbonated for its medium body.

O - Not a favorite but overall a nice beer.

After a trip to Mammoth I cracked this one open at home on a hot day, after the first sip I realized this was meant to be drank in the local area while skiing or fishing. The earthiness is very strong but on a nice day in mammoth it would really hit the spot. The pine presence is also very strong, which may be a bad thing for some. Mammoth Brewing has now become a place i'll stop by while i'm in the area, however most brews lack the wow factor and a reason for me to recommend them to other, and so forth. Overall pick this one up if your in the area and be sure to drink it while your there, also the bottles makes a nice addition to the collection. Stay thirsty my friends!

NickRivers, Jun 22, 2011