IPA 395 - Mammoth Brewing Company

IPA 395IPA 395

good

Mammoth Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-04-2008)

4.05/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a hazy, dark amber color with a large, frothy off-white color head. Scent is EXTREMELY heavy with the sage and juniper berries. You don't need to search for their presence at all. Smells like tree sap, spiciness, maple syrup, and a bit of oregano. Slight hoppiness and caramel malt. Taste is initially hoppy with a strong malt presence. This one tastes like it may be a fresh bottle, as the juniper berries and sage are subdued by the hops and pine (another bottle I had was much more berry and sage forward than hops). Smooth caramel malt and bitter hops throughout. The mellow sage and berries add for a pleasant twist on the standard IPA. Mouthfeel is full-bodied, a bit syrupy, and a crisp finish. Drinkability is high, as the alcohol is well hidden (although more noticeable when beer warms). Overall, this beer was not so great the first time I had it. This time around it tastes pretty damn good. I would definitely buy it again.

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Amber, slightly hazy, moderate lacing, off-white head.

Smell: juniper, malty, hoppy, pine resin, sage.

Taste: very malty, subtle hops, juniper, sage.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, light carbonation, smooth.

Overall: A decent beer. Minimal hop profile. A drinkable beer, but not a good IPA by west coast standards.

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

I try to drink as much of this stuff as I can, this review is from the most recent batch that baybassboy brought back for me. Thanks.
Pours much darker then you would expect for the style and I welcome this, its got good clarity and one of those signiture giagantic frothy heads from Mammoth Brewing, the head sticks to the glass and doesn't uncling until its washed off.
Right off the bat you know why this is IPA 395, if you have ever been to the Eastern Sierra's you know what I'm talking about, full of sage, pine and floral hops, juniper with a slight malt profile.
So much sage in this beer. Feels like I had my head out the window smacking sage brush with my mouth open going 70 up 395. There is a slight bitterness and floral hops as well as some malt background.
Medium bodied with a sticky resin clinging to the mouth and well carbed.
DIPA? I understand why this beer gets some bad reviews and may not be enjoyable for everyone, I however love this beer and its one of my all time favorites.

1.93/5  rDev -47.6%

(reviewed from notes; sampled sometime in late September '11)

I was very intrigued after reading the bottle while perusing the shelves at my local bottle shop. It says they use juniper and sage, along with local hops, in this one. Well, it definitely shines through and not in a pleasant way.

Appearance is typical of the style. Smell offers a glimpse of the unpleasantness to come. Very strange, off-putting aroma of wild flora (I guess that's the juniper and sage).

Taste is very unpleasant. I got a few sips down and had had enough. Imagine gathering some very wild, very dry sage, juniper leaves, and hops, and then soaking them in sugary water... that is what this beer tasted like.

I don't remember what the mouthfeel was like, as the awful taste dominated all else, so I'll just call the mouthfeel average.

I'd heard where this beer had given some others a bad headache. After only several sips, I felt it start to go to work on my cranium. Down the drain it went, and fast.

Very disappointed. I like the bottle, the description, the thought and the effort, but the beer was not good at all.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

Incredibly intense, almost forbiddingly so.

Pours a deep copper with a thick dense head. The aroma is a blast of piny hops. The flavor is quite malty, lots of crystal malt, with a vast wall of piny and citrus hops, so intense as to almost have a menthol edge. The mouthfeel is thick and the finish is hot and bitter.

This is not a refreshing beer. It is just too intense to be really enjoyable, even by DIPA standards.

3.68/5  rDev 0%

22oz bottle.

Pours cloudy amber with some fine particulates and a half inch head of beige. Broken sheets of lacing and a solid skim coat on the surface for the duration.

Aromatics lead off with earthy sage, gin-like juniper, and pine bark. Quite earthy with plenty of spice and a hint of peppercorns.

Medium bodied with a slight chew and a doughy mouthfeel.

Spicy juniper with earthy sage start the palate. A moderate bitterness with shades of grapefruit and pine follows through along with a solvent-like nod.

Finishes with pungent juniper and sage with fading hop resins and a solventy bite.

A very interesting beer, but the spicing is way heavy and I think it's the intense juniper that gives the beer the commercial cleaner mid-flavor and finish. It's hard to get past and reminds me of diluted ammonia.
Overall the beer is foremost a spiced beer and barely recognizable as an IPA, let alone a IIPA.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

849th Review on BA
Bottle to Tulip
22oz

No date

Purchased from a Shell station in Bishop, CA

App- A caramel medium brown with a 1-1/2" finger head with a soft white fast receding head. A good amount of cling and webbing.

Smell- This was uniquely aromatic. I can't say I've had Juniper or Sage in a beer but I liked the spicy, earthy, grassy notes. Wasn't the most appealing but still quite good.

Taste- A very tasty and big IPA. Many flavors blend to come together into one almost harmonious balance. A little berry flavor with a lot of earthy from the spice of the sage.

Mouth- A medium bodied beer with a medium carbonation. Berry and sage and a bit one dimensional.

Drink- A nice and spicy dry DIPA. The sage is unique to the profile. A bit thick and a touch too malty where the juniper should dominate. Pretty damn tasty though.

3.3/5  rDev -10.3%

A: Reddish/Copper color with a 2 finger tan head. Spotty lacing down the glass.

S: I may have let this one age a little too long. Sweet malts, juniper and some caramel. Slight floral hops.

T: Not getting a ton of hops here. Some faded hop resin along with caramel malts, juniper, some sage and a lot of buttery oak. Not great.

3.63/5  rDev -1.4%

Finally found a beer brewed with sage! Very excited about this. Anyways Bought this at a local market, says its brewed with Juniper Berries and Desert Sage. Surprised however at the level of IBU per what the Web sight says its at 60IBUs for a DIPA? really? I'd expect 80 or above for a double but I'll get over it.

A-Unexpectedly poured a dark ruby red color with a frothy soap like head that held up quite nicely. Good active carbonation.

S-Damn strait!! Sage! Nice earthy notes of fresh mottled sage. Good sweet malt aroma.

T- Earthy spiciness, mottled fresh sage, mint, nice earthy hop character with a surprisingly sweet malt backbone, that I find should be as load as it is in this style. However this beer reflects were it comes from. Very earthy, alot of medicinal type flavors coming through, nice sweetness to it although for the style shouldn’t be as pronounced.

M- Creamy and smooth, little sticky sweetness to it and for the style of it being a DIPA i don’t understand the malt strength. Maybe its the juniper berries.? Pump up those IBU's to 80 or so I'd think they have something going.

O-The sage surprisingly works well with this beer! Bout time someone does it. I think if i were camping, maybe even fishing out in the Seirra's I'd be in a better mood for this beer. Judging this beer for being DIPA my grade would be much lower but for what this beer is. I'd score well.. Much Higher. Buy it, try it and enjoy.

A big thanks to DarthKostrizer for this extra. Cheers!

Appearance – Pours a rather dark cloudy orange color into my tulip. About a finger of tan head is achieved that dissipates quickly leaving slight lacing.

Smell – Pine, hops, spices, herbs, mint, floral aromas, and malty backbone.

Taste – I tasted this without reading any reviews. The first thing that came to my mind was mint (which I am a huge mint fan so this intrigued me). I will admit, this beer states it is brewed in winter so I’m not sure how fresh this is. That said, this does not really remind me of a DIPA. It does still have some hop characteristics, however, it is more sweet now, like a barelywine. However, I don’t know, it works? I am really enjoying the spices/mint that is intermixed within this beer, and the more sweet backbone. It’s working for me…

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, decent carbonation.

Overall – Honestly, I’m not sure what to think. For a DIPA, it is bad. But for whatever I’m drinking, it’s not that bad. If you gave this to me and said it was supposed to be a DIPA I would laugh – there really is not much here that would make me think that. However, if you said it was a fresher barlywine mixed with herbs and mint, I’d agree completely. I’m oddly enjoying this beer and would no joke like to have another one or two in order to age them to see if it becomes even more barleywine like as it progresses.

3.63/5  rDev -1.4%

A&S - Pours a deep copper with a good amount of eggshell colored head, smells of caramel malt, a lot of piney hops, some sage adding to the earthiness.

T&M - Tastes very dry on the front with lots of sticky pine, it then turns sweet on the back with lots of that caramel malt and sage working together with a strong hop presence. Mouthfeel is well carbonated for its medium body.

O - Not a favorite but overall a nice beer.

After a trip to Mammoth I cracked this one open at home on a hot day, after the first sip I realized this was meant to be drank in the local area while skiing or fishing. The earthiness is very strong but on a nice day in mammoth it would really hit the spot. The pine presence is also very strong, which may be a bad thing for some. Mammoth Brewing has now become a place i'll stop by while i'm in the area, however most brews lack the wow factor and a reason for me to recommend them to other, and so forth. Overall pick this one up if your in the area and be sure to drink it while your there, also the bottles makes a nice addition to the collection. Stay thirsty my friends!

4.43/5  rDev +20.4%

dark orange amber color and a huge head of white coming up and over the top. Majestic looking would be the right word here. Thick lacing up and down the sides of the glass throughout. Most pungent aroma I have come across in as long as I can remember. Thick dose of grapefruit and orange right up front. Huge sticky hops just dripping off of this one. Rich and sweet as I take the first sip. Grapefruit and sugar dipped prange just coating the tongue. Soo fresh it almost hurts. Even warming it brings no relief as the hops are soo thick and omnipresent that you are just taken a back and completely blown away.

3.15/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Slightly hazy, medium amber color with over one finger of cinnamon-tinted foam head. Moderate lacing remains on the glass.

S: Entirely unconventional with pungent herbaceous spice consisting of aromatic wild sage. Malt and hops never have a chance in the face of the chemical harshness of surface cleaner and lemon-lime soda. No alcohol is detected.

T: Begins off-dry, with summery sage and conifer foliage that is surprisingly authentic--not in the sense that it is an authentic IPA, but rather reminiscent of a hot summer day spent hiking in the California mountains. Acidity is kept under tight control, and malt is also a factor, contributing a caramel backbone in addition to the suggestion of sweetness. Moderate bitterness develops into the finish, still tasting of sage. No alcohol is detected.

M: Medium viscosity, slightly sticky and warming on the palate but only weakly astringent (despite a smell and flavor that suggests there ought to be more,) with low carbonation.

D/O: While this is probably not a beer one would want to drink frequently--or a lot of--it is uncanny in its ability to transport the senses back to earlier times spent hiking along hot and dusty trails through a landscape of inland sage scrub and chaparral. It is starting to seem like the IPA styles are not the specialty of this brewery, but the mastery shown here in imparting intense and focused herbal notes makes one think that Mammoth should focus their efforts toward those off-beat but characterful fruit and vegetable beers that seem to pop up in the least expected places.

1.25/5  rDev -66%

First off let me say I bought a two dollar pint of this beer. It may have been a little old coming out of the keg but I doubt that is the reason for how poorly this beer tastes.

Appearance: Amber in color, much more of a red ale or amber ale look. Head dissipated quickly leaving no lacing.

Smell: Ummm...menthol cigarettes or some sort of skunky mint/dirt taste. Very unpleasant.

Taste: Even more unpleasant than the smell. It is like liking an ashtray.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation was fine and it finished as smooth as a horrible beer can finish.

Overall: This beer gave me a headache about 5 sips in. Avoid at all costs.

2.38/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 22 oz bomber to pint glass. 4/20/11.

A - reddish brown with 1 finger off white head. Reasonably good lacing. Coloring is not reminiscent of the style. Way too dark.

S - Any hopping is far overpowered by caramel, brown sugar, basil and juniper berries. It's very aromatic, but not like an IPA should be.

T - Taste follows the nose well. Very malty and herbal upfront, and finishes dry like gin on the back. Too sweet for me and very strange basil taste. This one isn't for me.

M - Mouthfeel isn't terrible. A bit astringent but the texture and carbonation are decent.

O - I'll pass on this one. It's more of an herbal red ale and doesn't make a strong showing for the style.

3.15/5  rDev -14.4%

From 04/09/11 notes. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip. Shared by BigSexy410.

a - Pours a reddish amber color with an inch of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sage, spice, floral notes, juniper berries, and caramel malts.

t - Taste of sage, juniper berries, spices, floral hops, light citrus hops, and light caramel malts. Lots more juniper berries and less caramel malts than the smell.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

o - Overall a beer that is very strong on the juniper berries, which I'm not a big fan of. If you are, worth checking out, but I would pass on again.

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass, the beer pours with a huge head. After some time to settle, the beer is a slighty hazy blood-amber coloring. The head has a very decent retention, and appears to be light and foamy, with a slightly copper-tinged coloring. Very flowery nose, with the hops representation sneaking in behind. Definite jasmine notes coming from the flowery aromas, and a little reminiscent of what some weed smells like (from what I hear, of course). The flavors are very floral, and the hops are a good balance for all of the flavors. Heavy jasmine characteristics in the flavor, and the body is light and crisp. Also, some peppery notes from the hops help to tie up all of the different tastes towards the end. Very interesting. The aftertaste is floral, and the finish lingers pleasantly in mouth. This is an easy drinker, and very refreshing. Very unique flavor range for this style!

1.9/5  rDev -48.4%

8%, 50 IBU. 22oz bottle

Appearance: a murky amber brown.

Smell: Sage.

Taste: first sip earns the "gross beer face". The herbal sage flavor dominates completely. The sage and juniper additions really don't support the IPA, since I didn't really notice anything else. And they don't stand on their own, because the overall flavor is way out of balance.

I couldn't drink much of this. However, I came back later and had a sip from the now-room-temperature bottle, and found that when warm, enough malt comes forward to play down the herbs. If you have a bottle of this, make sure to serve it on the warm end of the spectrum!

2.78/5  rDev -24.5%

Thanks to Ultraman9000 for this bottle. Poured in to Duvel tulip.

A - Medium to dark amber; opaque. A small amount of khaki coloured head. Looks like a barleywine.

S - A lot of caramel sweetness at first. Some floral notes and a smell that I can't put my finger on that is definitely herbal (likely the sage), which is somewhat off-putting.

T - The herbal (sage?) flavour dominates the palate, making it difficult to detect the hops and the sweet caramel that was in the nose. Very strong earthy taste. There is a slight bitterness present along with a slight sweetness, but overall the herbal flavour overpowers the palate and dominates.

M - Medium body; light to moderate carbonation.

D - I didn't enjoy this one and I could not figure out how this was possible a DIPA (old bottle), but it was interesting to try.

IPA 395 from Mammoth Brewing Company