IPA 395 - Mammoth Brewing Company

IPA 395IPA 395

good

Mammoth Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-04-2008

Big thanks to Morgan for this one!

A: Pours a dark amber color with a one finger egg-shell white head. Decent retention with lacing all around the glass.

S: Now that's a bit different. Lots of juniper and sage with some piney hops underneath. Would have liked the hop aromas to be a bit stronger compared to the juniper and sage, but I still like how this one smells.

T: Similar to the aroma but a bit more balanced. More sage and juniper with a bit more pine and faint citrus fruits. There is also some grassy hops.

M: Medium bodied, maybe a tad light for a DIPA, but easy drinking. No abv, but slightly medicinal.

O: A different take on a DIPA. Not as hoppy as most, but I actually quite enjoyed it. Would certainly recommend it.

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

3.57/5  rDev -3.5%

picked this up on a whim, never even heard of the brewery before. nor did i read the label, "... with juniper and sage"! if i had read it i wouldn't a bought it, but i am glad i tried this brew.

pours a dark amber, nothing like you expect an IIPA to look like, with adequate carbonation and small white head.

the smell is abundant with juniper and sage, and at most a faint hint of hops.

the juniper fades on the tasting and the sage comes out big time, teaming with a decent resiny bitter hop flavor for a surprising mix, the sage very fragrant in the upper palate and a good bitterness on the tongue.

not a bad beer to cook with -- i deglazed a pan of caramelized onions to nice effect. i wouldn't go out of my way for this but it was pretty good.

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

Review from 7/2011 notes. Poured into a tall cylinder glass. Pours a dark brown-orange amber, half finger of light tan head, moderate lacing. Aroma of hops, sage. Very aromatic and appealing. Taste is light malt, dry hops, sage and juniper. Not very complex, but tasty and enjoyable. I liked this IPA.

4.59/5  rDev +24.1%

Source/Serving: 12 oz. bottle

S: Juniper is the most forward with a soft, green herbal (thyme, oregano) character provided by the sage and hops, which blend nicely together and make you feel like you are in a forest. Solid malt backbone with notes of caramel and semi-ripe red fruit. A touch of alcohol even is its only slightly warm, but its very clean and works well with the juniper.

T: The juniper imparts an earthy/twiggy, somewhat medicinal/herbal note, that is prevalent up front. The slightly drying effect of juniper along with moderate, but firm, bitterness gives this brew a certain stark appeal and on the bitter side from the get-go. However, as you acclimate, the front side reaches a nice balanced sweet-bitter contrast. I'm a sucker for juniper, so I like it a lot and think its very drinkable, but it could be too much for some. The middle flavors up the bitterness a bit more so that its solid, especially for a DIPA, but never too much. The bitterness has an earthy, treebark, almost black pepper character from the juniper, which I like. Moderately high carbonation and light acidity keeps things bright, which plays off the heavy juniper notes well. Hop flavors come through and I really enjoy the unexpected flavor that the sage adds, melding with herbal, peppery, piney, resiny hops to create something unique and enjoyable. Hints of flowers, sap, resin, and cucumber. The body of this is a little heavy for my tastes given the dry, stark, intensity of flavors, which impacts drinkability to some extent even with the slightly high carbonation as its quite 'full'. Finish lingers long with a touch of bitterness on the tongue, lip-sticking thick sweetness, a more herbal/medicinal juniper edge, pepper, and light hoppiness.

Notes: I love juniper and this is well done, and I love unique hop flavors which this brew does excellently by including sage. So, I love the unique flavors and the firm bitterness is on point for my tastes.

4.42/5  rDev +19.5%

I tried this at MBC, and have bought a growler to review. Again, I really enjoy this brewery, so take this review with that in mind.

The beer pours a strong, even, off-white head with a reddish color and incredible pine/sage/juniper smell. The smell reminds me of the high desert when it rains. The smell is clean, crisp, and intense. The taste is almost a little too sweet from the high level of malt that is required to balance the bitterness of the sage and juniper, I assume. The beer is still approachable and drinkable with a smooth, clean mouthfeel.

My overall impression is that this beer brings back a lot of nostalgia about the mountains and high desert that I really like.

4.07/5  rDev +10%

Mammoth 395 ipa

22 from brewery. Can't believe I've never reviewed this. One of my favorites.

A- pour produces a 1/12 finger deep beige head restig on a hazy amber/copper body. Good retention. Very good lacing. 4

S-huge whiff of juniper and sage with a juicy citrus hop smell evening It out. Light malt smell. This smells like no beer I've ever had and I love it every time I open one.  Amazing smell4.5

T- just like the nose sage and  juniper berries are very present with the juicy hops. It is pretty malty as well. I must say that I really love this beer. There seems to be some batch variation some definitely better than others. Usually superb though 4

M- slightly thin for a beer this big. Good carbonation 3.5

O- one of a kind and I love it every time. Definitely a love it or hate it beer. You have to really like juniper and sage to like this one 4

A-

4.07/5  rDev +10%

Pours a hazy, dark amber color with a large, frothy off-white color head. Scent is EXTREMELY heavy with the sage and juniper berries. You don't need to search for their presence at all. Smells like tree sap, spiciness, maple syrup, and a bit of oregano. Slight hoppiness and caramel malt. Taste is initially hoppy with a strong malt presence. This one tastes like it may be a fresh bottle, as the juniper berries and sage are subdued by the hops and pine (another bottle I had was much more berry and sage forward than hops). Smooth caramel malt and bitter hops throughout. The mellow sage and berries add for a pleasant twist on the standard IPA. Mouthfeel is full-bodied, a bit syrupy, and a crisp finish. Drinkability is high, as the alcohol is well hidden (although more noticeable when beer warms). Overall, this beer was not so great the first time I had it. This time around it tastes pretty damn good. I would definitely buy it again.

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Amber, slightly hazy, moderate lacing, off-white head.

Smell: juniper, malty, hoppy, pine resin, sage.

Taste: very malty, subtle hops, juniper, sage.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, light carbonation, smooth.

Overall: A decent beer. Minimal hop profile. A drinkable beer, but not a good IPA by west coast standards.

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

I try to drink as much of this stuff as I can, this review is from the most recent batch that baybassboy brought back for me. Thanks.
Pours much darker then you would expect for the style and I welcome this, its got good clarity and one of those signiture giagantic frothy heads from Mammoth Brewing, the head sticks to the glass and doesn't uncling until its washed off.
Right off the bat you know why this is IPA 395, if you have ever been to the Eastern Sierra's you know what I'm talking about, full of sage, pine and floral hops, juniper with a slight malt profile.
So much sage in this beer. Feels like I had my head out the window smacking sage brush with my mouth open going 70 up 395. There is a slight bitterness and floral hops as well as some malt background.
Medium bodied with a sticky resin clinging to the mouth and well carbed.
DIPA? I understand why this beer gets some bad reviews and may not be enjoyable for everyone, I however love this beer and its one of my all time favorites.

1.98/5  rDev -46.5%

(reviewed from notes; sampled sometime in late September '11)

I was very intrigued after reading the bottle while perusing the shelves at my local bottle shop. It says they use juniper and sage, along with local hops, in this one. Well, it definitely shines through and not in a pleasant way.

Appearance is typical of the style. Smell offers a glimpse of the unpleasantness to come. Very strange, off-putting aroma of wild flora (I guess that's the juniper and sage).

Taste is very unpleasant. I got a few sips down and had had enough. Imagine gathering some very wild, very dry sage, juniper leaves, and hops, and then soaking them in sugary water... that is what this beer tasted like.

I don't remember what the mouthfeel was like, as the awful taste dominated all else, so I'll just call the mouthfeel average.

I'd heard where this beer had given some others a bad headache. After only several sips, I felt it start to go to work on my cranium. Down the drain it went, and fast.

Very disappointed. I like the bottle, the description, the thought and the effort, but the beer was not good at all.

IPA 395 from Mammoth Brewing Company