IPA 395 - Mammoth Brewing Company

IPA 395IPA 395

good

Mammoth Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-04-2008)
2.78/5  rDev -24.5%

Thanks to Ultraman9000 for this bottle. Poured in to Duvel tulip.

A - Medium to dark amber; opaque. A small amount of khaki coloured head. Looks like a barleywine.

S - A lot of caramel sweetness at first. Some floral notes and a smell that I can't put my finger on that is definitely herbal (likely the sage), which is somewhat off-putting.

T - The herbal (sage?) flavour dominates the palate, making it difficult to detect the hops and the sweet caramel that was in the nose. Very strong earthy taste. There is a slight bitterness present along with a slight sweetness, but overall the herbal flavour overpowers the palate and dominates.

M - Medium body; light to moderate carbonation.

D - I didn't enjoy this one and I could not figure out how this was possible a DIPA (old bottle), but it was interesting to try.

3.93/5  rDev +6.8%

A - Amberish brown and murky - very odd for the style and dark for the style but it's brewed with Sage and Juniper so I'm guessing that has a lot to do with it. Decent head retention

S - Pine, Sage, citrus hops and smells pungent like this beer will be sticky and resinous. It's also earthy and it smells somewhat spicy as well.

T - Follows nose exactly but add a cinnamon component here is what I'm picking up as what I described as spicy in the nose. The malt bill backs this beer up pretty good to note, as it still holds it's hops well over a couple months without getting too sweet. The Sage is a bit overpowering however and could be toned down some while toning the citrus qualities up some. But that's just me. I think the brewer achieved what he was going for as this beer is supposed to showcase the sage and juniper along with the hops highlighting HWY 395. They are all there.

M - All flavors molded well into a resinous and sticky mouthfeel which I like in my DIPAs. Sagish Dank.

D - Solid - not too hard to polish off a bomber.

I recommend this beer as a must try even if just once as this is probably the most unique twist on the style I've had from a Cali DIPA. Enjoyable. If you don't like Sage, you won't like this beer.

no freshness date. at fridge temp poured into a bulb style glass.

pours out a dark red with a bit of orange. one finger of soapy off white head with pretty decent retention. quite a bit of sticky lace. slightly murky.

spices and a bit of honey sweetness at the forefront. a bit of cinnamon, herbal, floral, and some other christmasy spices. the aroma is almost identical to great lakes christmas ale.

the begining of the taste follows the aroma, a bit sweet with lots of spice. cinnamon, honey, christmasy spices. citrus, herbal hops with some decent bitterness. kind of a spicy almost chile like finish.

medium bodied, carb feels good for the style. some lingering hop bitterness, but not as much as you might expect in a double ipa.

very drinkable, was surprised that this was 8%. a very interesting take on such a popular style. reminds me of a hopped up version of great lakes christmas ale. i recommend you try this.

4.33/5  rDev +17.7%

I picked this up at the Bevmo in Fairfield.

Appearance- dark amber color, nice looking head

Smell- lots of citrus hops

Taste- piney hops, very nice

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I was really impressed with this beer. It had that hop bite that I love so much and soothes me. Awesome beer

4.08/5  rDev +10.9%

12oz bottle from a 4-pack bought while up at Yosemite. pours a stunningly dark caramel glistening with amber and ruby highlights. looks like barleywine. a thick two-finger brown sugary colored head slowly fades leaving immensely chunky lacing down the glass. striking. although unexpected.

aroma packs a wallop. biscuit and caramel malt up front along with citrus hops - almost like fruit slice candy. then a poignantly resinous pine backed by juniper berries, sage, tarragon. It smells like I shoved a pine tree up my nose. or a christmas-themed yankee candle. And I'm loving it.

Taste is intense. rich caramel malt, touch of alcoholic heat, then resinous, sticky pine hops. citrus zest. like chewing on a spruce tree spritzed with lime zest and dunked in gin (all pleasurable in my book). All in all, it's a strong, powerful - if not slightly unbalanced and haphazard - double ipa reminiscent of something along the lines of 120min. A bit hot, a bit strong, a bit pungent, and definitely a lot of juniper and pine character.

mouth is sticky, full, rich, and luscious bubbles caress my tongue and help me forget how confusing and intense this herbal, juniper-fueled trip is.

All in all, i love this. but I love juniper. and I like sage. and I like pine. (now defunct Siletz brewing made an ale with spruce needles instead of hops. and I loved that). As a double IPA goes, this is pretty solid. And I'm going to score it as a double IPA. I like the juniper and sage which puts it in a different category and all in all would lead me to score this evne a bit higher... if it were in a Spiced IPA category. If you like juniper and sage in your beer and like malty, hot IPAs, this is your beer. and if you don't, then it's not for you. But I'm absolutely loving it!

3.35/5  rDev -9%

Bottle. Pours a deep reddish clear mahagony color with a nice slightly tan 1 finger head. Good lace. The aroma is a mixture of hops, cedar, and sage. It definitely has an herbal type aroma to it. Very interesting flavor. Not sure if I like it or not yet. Sweet malty backbone accented by a hoppy herbal like taste. Ends somewhat cleanly. Medium mouthfeel. I find myself keep drinking it so it must not be too bad. Not extremely hoppy or matly which is somewhat a surprise for a DIPA. The sage and juniper are fairly present and take center stage as they have such a pronounced aroma and taste. A unique beer to say the least. No real evidenceof the 8% abv.

2.25/5  rDev -38.9%

Poured into Founders snifter.

Pours about a finger of khaki head. Decent retention with some lace. Color is a clear ruby hued mahogany.

Aroma: Almost smells like cedar. The spices(juniper berries) add a unique flavor. Very herbal like. Pine flavored hops. Some grapefruit citrus. Unique.

Taste: Very grassy/weedy/piney hops. The spices are way too much for me. Juniper in ipa = odd. The malt profile doesn't show to much because the spice dominates the pallet. Very odd.

Mouthfeel: Bitter and spiced. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with more spiced and some stickiness.

Overall, the spices take too much away from the hops. If I wanted a dipa, I would go for something else. This one just doesn't cut it for me.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

Had this on 2010-08-27 in Reno, NV from a 22oz bomber.

A - Hazy caramel with a one-finger, light tan head.

S - Pine, caramel, juniper, mild citrus, herbal. Didn't love the smell.

T - Initial bitterness followed by roasted malt with caramel sweetness. Perhaps a little too sweet. In addition to the lingering bitter-sweet taste, I noticed a mineral taste that combined with the juniper flavor didn't do a lot for me. It is unique tasting.

M - Medium body and light-medium carbonation.

D - One was enough. Enjoyable but not great.

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

I've spent a few days in Mammoth and been enjoying their beers, but this is certainly my favorite. Most of the beers are fairly clean and standard for the style, but this is a truly interesting brew that most breweries should be proud to offer. Behind rich citrus hops (which are pretty normal) there's a lovely undercurrant of the juniper and sage that both sets this IPA apart and gives it great local flavor. If you try anything from this brewery, here's your beer.

2.13/5  rDev -42.1%

A: The pour is amber in color with a creamy off-white head.

S: The amount of sage in this beer is nearing ridiculous. And when you get passed the sage, there is juniper, and a lot of that too. Overall, a very vegetal and wild aroma.

T: A solid bitterness which is really the only thing that is reminiscent of an IPA in this beer. Lots of herbal notes, and the sage just takes over this beer.

M: Medium in terms of both body and carbonation.

D: This was just bad. I like sage in reasonable amounts in food, and juniper is a good herb as well (I'm a big gin fan), but this just does not work.

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%

This interesting looking IPA thanks to RaulMatisse.

A: Pours a thick frothy 1.5 finger head which seems smaller than it really is in my huge oversized snifter, and fades very slowly leaving a lacing on the glass. The beer is much darker than I expected, mostly clear but is a dark reddish brown color, with a little copper and a rosy hue.

N: Wow spices! I was not expecting that! Tons of juniper, I think sage too, perhaps even thyme and/or basil (stupid me, it's on the bottle, juniper and sage). A slight hop in the background, but it's really hard to get past the juniper and sage. As my nose gets acclimated to the spices, I start to get a slight earthy and chewy hop presence. There is also a slight chewy and darker malt presence as well, but barely.

T: I'm almost afraid (I'm usually not a spiced beer fan), eventually the sip ensues and I'm no surprised. A big juniper bite at first, although not as bitter as I expected from the juniper at least. Then more spices, again the sage and I still think a hint of basil. Behind that isn't much, but I can start to get a taste of some hops, which add a hint of bitterness, spicy and earthy hops with a light grassy taste too. There is a sweet malty backbone in there as well, that gives it a slight chewy malt and caramel taste, as well as a slight warming booze. The bitterness starts to get more and more as I sip more, and is starting to get a little astringent.

M: Medium body with good carbonation.

F: It's really bitter by now. The hops compiled with the juniper really hit you. It's astringent now as well, with more of the juniper lingering, but not as much as I though, as well as some of the earthy spicy hops. THe juniper now dumps some pine tree flavoring in my mouth, which is what I hate about juniper. It was subdued at first, but now it's starting to come out, the pine tree sap! A little sticky sweetness lingering, it dries a little but still somewhat sweet. A touch of warming booze as well to finish it off. Not quite my cup of tea personally, but I'm sure it's a pretty decent beer for a lot of people.

4.2/5  rDev +14.1%

Thanks Flexabull for sending this one out to me. I split the bottle two ways into Sam Addams glasses I had a great cream colored head that settled down to a good film of lace that followed the brew down the glass. The body was a clear reddish brown.

The aromas were quite interesting the juniper was nice experience to savor right up front. It did have a lot of herbal aromas going on some a little strange to me but noticeable. The beer had a citric to it but hidden behind the herbs. The flavor was balanced so it did surprise me to see this in a CA IPA but pleasantly so. It had a medium feel to it with ample carbonation for me.

The brew was easy to drink and I would have liked another glass. A nice surprise for me from California

2.83/5  rDev -23.1%

22oz bomber poured into a tulip glass. Bought last week but no other freshness info. Very deep, dark amber color, like the color of bourbon. Nice head formation but it disappears quickly. No lacing. Smell is malty sweet, then slightly hoppy before quickly transitioning to a, for lack of a better word, "musty" sage scent. Carbonation is a little low and the overall mouthfeel is pretty thick, more so than I like. Goes down like a big, heavy beer. The taste is interesting and complex. Mostly sage and roasted malt on the palate up front but you can still get a sense of the hops. The juniper kind of comes through at the end adding an extra dimension to the hops. I'd like the hops more at the fore especially since they still leave a nice bitterness even after having to overcome so much else going on. Overall, a unique interpretation of the style but the excessive malt makes it come off like a bitter amber ale and the sage just doesn't present well in this beer.

4.33/5  rDev +17.7%

Appearance: Reddish-brown, not cloudy. Poured with some head that didn't completely disappear.

Smell: Great herbal aroma from the sage and juniper. Very bright.

Taste: Very clean and initially it reminds me of a gruit. The hops come through right after the herbs. Great balance between the herbs, hops, and malt.

Mouthfeel: light. The carbonation is a little higher than I expected, but it is not astringent. I think it's appropriate.

Drinkability: Surprisingly good. I really look forward to having another sip.

Other: bought cold from Hi Times. 22oz.

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a cloudy deep amber with a cream colored head.

Smells strongly of juniper, sage, and piney hops. Some sweetness coming through too.

Taste is an interesting mix of bitter hops and juniper. A little malt presence in the middle. Bitter hops at the finish with a lingering spiced flavor.

Mouthfeel is between a light and medium body with good carbonation. Finish is a bit dry.

Drinkability is good--not your typical DIPA flavor, but nice hop presence and really interesting.

3.95/5  rDev +7.3%

This beer pours a slightly cloudy dark golden color, with a light tan head. The thin head fades slowly, leaving a decent lace.

This beer has a mild juniper aroma. Some piney hops mix in as well. It has a very subtle sweet malty aroma as well.

This beer tastes much like it smells. Pine hops and juniper. It finishes with a noticable sage like aroma. Quite unique, and not necesarily bad.

This beer is full bodied. It leaves a sage like aftertaste. Carbonation is low.

This beer would not make the best session beer. It is good, and unique, but I think the flavor would become a bit cloying after a time.

Overall: This is a good beer, but not something I want to drink by the case.

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

I owe this beer to the old beer crew at Hi-Times/ Costa Mesa, Mike and his guys for turning me onto this, the new guys are a little weak i must say. Overall this is a big beer, smell, taste, finish, it is all dominated by that friggin juniper, and it all works. This has taken the IPA thing and moved on from the citrus to another shrub and it is refreshing. This beer alone is good stuff, but beyond that not so much, not very drinkable after the 22.

4.8/5  rDev +30.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- Beautiful copper color with a long lasting head. Good lacing.

S- If you enjoy the eastern sierra or great basin outdoors you have to try this beer. The juniper and sage jump out at you and instantly take you to your favorite great basin outdoors location. A delight to smell

T- the juniper and sage are still present but balance well with the fruity hop essence making a well rounded IPA. Does not drink like a strong I-IPA. Not a hop bomb, it may be misclassified.

M- Good typical IPA mouthfeel.

D- If you enjoy the sage and juniper you can go back to this brew time and again. My favorite Mammoth brew.

4.13/5  rDev +12.2%

The last beer I reviewed was almost exactly one year ago today. Somehow seeing the score for this, I felt compelled to add my 2 cents - here they are:

Had this on-tap several places in Mammoth over the years. The quality ranges from the shitty Whiskey Creek, with their corroded tap lines; to the pub at the main lodge at Mammoth Mt, where it was as fresh and clean as possible. When it's good, it's great. I think the stock moves out so quickly in the wee village, that you're as likely to get a bottle of it as fresh as any place.

Color-wise: looks like a DIPA: dark and a bit beefy with the froth of a well-groomed IPA. There is the spices in the nose and the taste that throws some people off. I get that. BUT - I like it. It's made with sage and juniper - not necessarily something you expect from an IPA or DIPA.

Whether it is a DIPA or IPA - it doesn't fit to style. I'm not judging it on that (I don't think it's a DIPA - as listed here). It's unique and when fresh - quite delicious. Worth a try, even for the extreme hopheads.

3.15/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured cloudy deep yellow,orange good carbonation. Nose is earthy, hops, dryness with some floral, caramel and pine.Taste has nice flavor up front but thats where it ended. Sage, earthy notes, some pine and floral notes. Mouthfeel is thinner and get some booze. Ok IIPA but not something I would turn to given stiff competition.

2.3/5  rDev -37.5%

22 ounce bottle purchased from Hi Times. Comes in at 8% and 90 IBUs. No bottling info is given.

A-Pours a copper color that has a nice glow when held to the light. It has a two finger off white head that dissipates to a nice level. Leaves streaks of sticky lace.

S-Completely unique for the style and something that I did not enjoy. It starts with some pine and sugary sweetness. They used sage in this beer and it quickly becomes overpowering. It reminded me of a flavor that would work well in a vegetable stock. The sage is inescapable and wasn't to my liking.

T-Like the nose, the sage is everywhere, along with the juniper used in this beer.

M-Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D-The sage flavor was not for me.

I was quite disappointed in this beer. I enjoyed their Epic IPA and did not know I was getting a beer that resembled vegetable stock. Lovers of sage and/or oregano in heavy doses will like this one.

4.03/5  rDev +9.5%

Damn Mammoth makes some good hoppy beers! This one is a good shade of brown on the pour. Aroma is amazingly piney. Its like the Tahoe forest or Yosemite up in a 22oz bottle!

Taste = exquisite. More pine, still a good amount of the citrus hops. Hops dominate, despite the dark appearance and toasting of the malt here.

Mouthfeel, good, but could have been higher if not for the tendency of the beer to seem a little flat down the line. Very drinkable, but you have to watch out, this can be drank a little quick for an 8%

Really important to get this one fresh, even just a few hundred miles from the source, I've come across some compromised bottles I wouldn't rate nearly this high.

4.35/5  rDev +18.2%

Vacation in a bottle. Some IPA take us places, most of them nice places. This IPA starts with nice strong note and finishes near a mountain creek with herbal scented winds. Nice break from double IPA's that feel the need to constantly remind you what they are. Nice Amber, acceptable head and body, nice bitter sweet finish. Very drinkable, enjoy.

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%

If you want a beer drinking experience akin to eating bushes, trees, and plants, this is the beer for you.

Pours dark copper, clear in the glass. Smell is herbal and caramel malt sweet. The bready malt of the beer is balanced by the herbal hops, juniper, and sage--all of which are clearly detectable without being overpowering or offputting.

I'm having it with slightly spicy Mexican food and it stands up beautifully.

Hug a tree!

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark amber, clear, moderate sized head that has longevity and plenty of lacing. First and foremost on the nose is the desert sage and juniper berries. Almost has a potpourri-like spice and dry fruitiness. There are definitely hops behind them, but they are quite obscured, on to the taste.

Just as in the nose, the desert sage is upfront, as is the juniper berries, the result is a dose of woody and herbal notes that blend well with the hops. Unique, I think I would call it tasty, but seems like it can easily be hit-or-miss for people. A huge change of pace from other DIPAs. Essentially, liquid potpourri. Feel is medium, fairly creamy carbonation, might help if it was more prickly, but pretty good.

A new flavor experience for me or anyone probably. Check it out.

IPA 395 from Mammoth Brewing Company