1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

IPA 395 - Mammoth Brewing Company

IPA 395IPA 395

good

Mammoth Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-04-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 154 | Reviews: 79 | Show All Ratings:
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +20.1%

dark orange amber color and a huge head of white coming up and over the top. Majestic looking would be the right word here. Thick lacing up and down the sides of the glass throughout. Most pungent aroma I have come across in as long as I can remember. Thick dose of grapefruit and orange right up front. Huge sticky hops just dripping off of this one. Rich and sweet as I take the first sip. Grapefruit and sugar dipped prange just coating the tongue. Soo fresh it almost hurts. Even warming it brings no relief as the hops are soo thick and omnipresent that you are just taken a back and completely blown away.

06-15-2011 03:09:28 | More by mikesgroove
beagle75

Iowa

3.15/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Slightly hazy, medium amber color with over one finger of cinnamon-tinted foam head. Moderate lacing remains on the glass.

S: Entirely unconventional with pungent herbaceous spice consisting of aromatic wild sage. Malt and hops never have a chance in the face of the chemical harshness of surface cleaner and lemon-lime soda. No alcohol is detected.

T: Begins off-dry, with summery sage and conifer foliage that is surprisingly authentic--not in the sense that it is an authentic IPA, but rather reminiscent of a hot summer day spent hiking in the California mountains. Acidity is kept under tight control, and malt is also a factor, contributing a caramel backbone in addition to the suggestion of sweetness. Moderate bitterness develops into the finish, still tasting of sage. No alcohol is detected.

M: Medium viscosity, slightly sticky and warming on the palate but only weakly astringent (despite a smell and flavor that suggests there ought to be more,) with low carbonation.

D/O: While this is probably not a beer one would want to drink frequently--or a lot of--it is uncanny in its ability to transport the senses back to earlier times spent hiking along hot and dusty trails through a landscape of inland sage scrub and chaparral. It is starting to seem like the IPA styles are not the specialty of this brewery, but the mastery shown here in imparting intense and focused herbal notes makes one think that Mammoth should focus their efforts toward those off-beat but characterful fruit and vegetable beers that seem to pop up in the least expected places.

06-02-2011 18:29:20 | More by beagle75
TheFlern

Idaho

1.25/5  rDev -66.1%

First off let me say I bought a two dollar pint of this beer. It may have been a little old coming out of the keg but I doubt that is the reason for how poorly this beer tastes.

Appearance: Amber in color, much more of a red ale or amber ale look. Head dissipated quickly leaving no lacing.

Smell: Ummm...menthol cigarettes or some sort of skunky mint/dirt taste. Very unpleasant.

Taste: Even more unpleasant than the smell. It is like liking an ashtray.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation was fine and it finished as smooth as a horrible beer can finish.

Overall: This beer gave me a headache about 5 sips in. Avoid at all costs.

05-25-2011 04:12:07 | More by TheFlern
dmsohyea

2.38/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 22 oz bomber to pint glass. 4/20/11.

A - reddish brown with 1 finger off white head. Reasonably good lacing. Coloring is not reminiscent of the style. Way too dark.

S - Any hopping is far overpowered by caramel, brown sugar, basil and juniper berries. It's very aromatic, but not like an IPA should be.

T - Taste follows the nose well. Very malty and herbal upfront, and finishes dry like gin on the back. Too sweet for me and very strange basil taste. This one isn't for me.

M - Mouthfeel isn't terrible. A bit astringent but the texture and carbonation are decent.

O - I'll pass on this one. It's more of an herbal red ale and doesn't make a strong showing for the style.

04-21-2011 05:13:06 | More by dmsohyea
mdfb79

3.15/5  rDev -14.6%

From 04/09/11 notes. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip. Shared by BigSexy410.

a - Pours a reddish amber color with an inch of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sage, spice, floral notes, juniper berries, and caramel malts.

t - Taste of sage, juniper berries, spices, floral hops, light citrus hops, and light caramel malts. Lots more juniper berries and less caramel malts than the smell.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

o - Overall a beer that is very strong on the juniper berries, which I'm not a big fan of. If you are, worth checking out, but I would pass on again.

04-12-2011 02:01:44 | More by mdfb79
GarthDanielson

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass, the beer pours with a huge head. After some time to settle, the beer is a slighty hazy blood-amber coloring. The head has a very decent retention, and appears to be light and foamy, with a slightly copper-tinged coloring. Very flowery nose, with the hops representation sneaking in behind. Definite jasmine notes coming from the flowery aromas, and a little reminiscent of what some weed smells like (from what I hear, of course). The flavors are very floral, and the hops are a good balance for all of the flavors. Heavy jasmine characteristics in the flavor, and the body is light and crisp. Also, some peppery notes from the hops help to tie up all of the different tastes towards the end. Very interesting. The aftertaste is floral, and the finish lingers pleasantly in mouth. This is an easy drinker, and very refreshing. Very unique flavor range for this style!

04-02-2011 03:22:28 | More by GarthDanielson
mfaulk

1.9/5  rDev -48.5%

8%, 50 IBU. 22oz bottle

Appearance: a murky amber brown.

Smell: Sage.

Taste: first sip earns the "gross beer face". The herbal sage flavor dominates completely. The sage and juniper additions really don't support the IPA, since I didn't really notice anything else. And they don't stand on their own, because the overall flavor is way out of balance.

I couldn't drink much of this. However, I came back later and had a sip from the now-room-temperature bottle, and found that when warm, enough malt comes forward to play down the herbs. If you have a bottle of this, make sure to serve it on the warm end of the spectrum!

03-06-2011 05:27:58 | More by mfaulk
TheSevenDuffs

Ontario (Canada)

2.78/5  rDev -24.7%

Thanks to Ultraman9000 for this bottle. Poured in to Duvel tulip.

A - Medium to dark amber; opaque. A small amount of khaki coloured head. Looks like a barleywine.

S - A lot of caramel sweetness at first. Some floral notes and a smell that I can't put my finger on that is definitely herbal (likely the sage), which is somewhat off-putting.

T - The herbal (sage?) flavour dominates the palate, making it difficult to detect the hops and the sweet caramel that was in the nose. Very strong earthy taste. There is a slight bitterness present along with a slight sweetness, but overall the herbal flavour overpowers the palate and dominates.

M - Medium body; light to moderate carbonation.

D - I didn't enjoy this one and I could not figure out how this was possible a DIPA (old bottle), but it was interesting to try.

02-17-2011 02:53:36 | More by TheSevenDuffs
RBassSFHOPit2ME

3.93/5  rDev +6.5%

A - Amberish brown and murky - very odd for the style and dark for the style but it's brewed with Sage and Juniper so I'm guessing that has a lot to do with it. Decent head retention

S - Pine, Sage, citrus hops and smells pungent like this beer will be sticky and resinous. It's also earthy and it smells somewhat spicy as well.

T - Follows nose exactly but add a cinnamon component here is what I'm picking up as what I described as spicy in the nose. The malt bill backs this beer up pretty good to note, as it still holds it's hops well over a couple months without getting too sweet. The Sage is a bit overpowering however and could be toned down some while toning the citrus qualities up some. But that's just me. I think the brewer achieved what he was going for as this beer is supposed to showcase the sage and juniper along with the hops highlighting HWY 395. They are all there.

M - All flavors molded well into a resinous and sticky mouthfeel which I like in my DIPAs. Sagish Dank.

D - Solid - not too hard to polish off a bomber.

I recommend this beer as a must try even if just once as this is probably the most unique twist on the style I've had from a Cali DIPA. Enjoyable. If you don't like Sage, you won't like this beer.

01-28-2011 00:50:18 | More by RBassSFHOPit2ME
dogfishandi

no freshness date. at fridge temp poured into a bulb style glass.

pours out a dark red with a bit of orange. one finger of soapy off white head with pretty decent retention. quite a bit of sticky lace. slightly murky.

spices and a bit of honey sweetness at the forefront. a bit of cinnamon, herbal, floral, and some other christmasy spices. the aroma is almost identical to great lakes christmas ale.

the begining of the taste follows the aroma, a bit sweet with lots of spice. cinnamon, honey, christmasy spices. citrus, herbal hops with some decent bitterness. kind of a spicy almost chile like finish.

medium bodied, carb feels good for the style. some lingering hop bitterness, but not as much as you might expect in a double ipa.

very drinkable, was surprised that this was 8%. a very interesting take on such a popular style. reminds me of a hopped up version of great lakes christmas ale. i recommend you try this.

01-27-2011 01:48:01 | More by dogfishandi
jeffjeff1

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

I picked this up at the Bevmo in Fairfield.

Appearance- dark amber color, nice looking head

Smell- lots of citrus hops

Taste- piney hops, very nice

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I was really impressed with this beer. It had that hop bite that I love so much and soothes me. Awesome beer

12-12-2010 03:45:09 | More by jeffjeff1
djeucalyptus

Oregon

4.08/5  rDev +10.6%

12oz bottle from a 4-pack bought while up at Yosemite. pours a stunningly dark caramel glistening with amber and ruby highlights. looks like barleywine. a thick two-finger brown sugary colored head slowly fades leaving immensely chunky lacing down the glass. striking. although unexpected.

aroma packs a wallop. biscuit and caramel malt up front along with citrus hops - almost like fruit slice candy. then a poignantly resinous pine backed by juniper berries, sage, tarragon. It smells like I shoved a pine tree up my nose. or a christmas-themed yankee candle. And I'm loving it.

Taste is intense. rich caramel malt, touch of alcoholic heat, then resinous, sticky pine hops. citrus zest. like chewing on a spruce tree spritzed with lime zest and dunked in gin (all pleasurable in my book). All in all, it's a strong, powerful - if not slightly unbalanced and haphazard - double ipa reminiscent of something along the lines of 120min. A bit hot, a bit strong, a bit pungent, and definitely a lot of juniper and pine character.

mouth is sticky, full, rich, and luscious bubbles caress my tongue and help me forget how confusing and intense this herbal, juniper-fueled trip is.

All in all, i love this. but I love juniper. and I like sage. and I like pine. (now defunct Siletz brewing made an ale with spruce needles instead of hops. and I loved that). As a double IPA goes, this is pretty solid. And I'm going to score it as a double IPA. I like the juniper and sage which puts it in a different category and all in all would lead me to score this evne a bit higher... if it were in a Spiced IPA category. If you like juniper and sage in your beer and like malty, hot IPAs, this is your beer. and if you don't, then it's not for you. But I'm absolutely loving it!

11-06-2010 05:22:24 | More by djeucalyptus
kbutler1

3.35/5  rDev -9.2%

Bottle. Pours a deep reddish clear mahagony color with a nice slightly tan 1 finger head. Good lace. The aroma is a mixture of hops, cedar, and sage. It definitely has an herbal type aroma to it. Very interesting flavor. Not sure if I like it or not yet. Sweet malty backbone accented by a hoppy herbal like taste. Ends somewhat cleanly. Medium mouthfeel. I find myself keep drinking it so it must not be too bad. Not extremely hoppy or matly which is somewhat a surprise for a DIPA. The sage and juniper are fairly present and take center stage as they have such a pronounced aroma and taste. A unique beer to say the least. No real evidenceof the 8% abv.

10-07-2010 00:04:38 | More by kbutler1
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

2.25/5  rDev -39%

Poured into Founders snifter.

Pours about a finger of khaki head. Decent retention with some lace. Color is a clear ruby hued mahogany.

Aroma: Almost smells like cedar. The spices(juniper berries) add a unique flavor. Very herbal like. Pine flavored hops. Some grapefruit citrus. Unique.

Taste: Very grassy/weedy/piney hops. The spices are way too much for me. Juniper in ipa = odd. The malt profile doesn't show to much because the spice dominates the pallet. Very odd.

Mouthfeel: Bitter and spiced. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with more spiced and some stickiness.

Overall, the spices take too much away from the hops. If I wanted a dipa, I would go for something else. This one just doesn't cut it for me.

10-07-2010 00:03:22 | More by mothman
Tucquan

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

Had this on 2010-08-27 in Reno, NV from a 22oz bomber.

A - Hazy caramel with a one-finger, light tan head.

S - Pine, caramel, juniper, mild citrus, herbal. Didn't love the smell.

T - Initial bitterness followed by roasted malt with caramel sweetness. Perhaps a little too sweet. In addition to the lingering bitter-sweet taste, I noticed a mineral taste that combined with the juniper flavor didn't do a lot for me. It is unique tasting.

M - Medium body and light-medium carbonation.

D - One was enough. Enjoyable but not great.

09-04-2010 19:08:53 | More by Tucquan
tempest

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

I've spent a few days in Mammoth and been enjoying their beers, but this is certainly my favorite. Most of the beers are fairly clean and standard for the style, but this is a truly interesting brew that most breweries should be proud to offer. Behind rich citrus hops (which are pretty normal) there's a lovely undercurrant of the juniper and sage that both sets this IPA apart and gives it great local flavor. If you try anything from this brewery, here's your beer.

09-04-2010 03:34:24 | More by tempest
womencantsail

2.13/5  rDev -42.3%

A: The pour is amber in color with a creamy off-white head.

S: The amount of sage in this beer is nearing ridiculous. And when you get passed the sage, there is juniper, and a lot of that too. Overall, a very vegetal and wild aroma.

T: A solid bitterness which is really the only thing that is reminiscent of an IPA in this beer. Lots of herbal notes, and the sage just takes over this beer.

M: Medium in terms of both body and carbonation.

D: This was just bad. I like sage in reasonable amounts in food, and juniper is a good herb as well (I'm a big gin fan), but this just does not work.

08-20-2010 05:30:57 | More by womencantsail
jlindros

3.48/5  rDev -5.7%

This interesting looking IPA thanks to RaulMatisse.

A: Pours a thick frothy 1.5 finger head which seems smaller than it really is in my huge oversized snifter, and fades very slowly leaving a lacing on the glass. The beer is much darker than I expected, mostly clear but is a dark reddish brown color, with a little copper and a rosy hue.

N: Wow spices! I was not expecting that! Tons of juniper, I think sage too, perhaps even thyme and/or basil (stupid me, it's on the bottle, juniper and sage). A slight hop in the background, but it's really hard to get past the juniper and sage. As my nose gets acclimated to the spices, I start to get a slight earthy and chewy hop presence. There is also a slight chewy and darker malt presence as well, but barely.

T: I'm almost afraid (I'm usually not a spiced beer fan), eventually the sip ensues and I'm no surprised. A big juniper bite at first, although not as bitter as I expected from the juniper at least. Then more spices, again the sage and I still think a hint of basil. Behind that isn't much, but I can start to get a taste of some hops, which add a hint of bitterness, spicy and earthy hops with a light grassy taste too. There is a sweet malty backbone in there as well, that gives it a slight chewy malt and caramel taste, as well as a slight warming booze. The bitterness starts to get more and more as I sip more, and is starting to get a little astringent.

M: Medium body with good carbonation.

F: It's really bitter by now. The hops compiled with the juniper really hit you. It's astringent now as well, with more of the juniper lingering, but not as much as I though, as well as some of the earthy spicy hops. THe juniper now dumps some pine tree flavoring in my mouth, which is what I hate about juniper. It was subdued at first, but now it's starting to come out, the pine tree sap! A little sticky sweetness lingering, it dries a little but still somewhat sweet. A touch of warming booze as well to finish it off. Not quite my cup of tea personally, but I'm sure it's a pretty decent beer for a lot of people.

07-09-2010 23:08:20 | More by jlindros
joepais

Maine

4.2/5  rDev +13.8%

Thanks Flexabull for sending this one out to me. I split the bottle two ways into Sam Addams glasses I had a great cream colored head that settled down to a good film of lace that followed the brew down the glass. The body was a clear reddish brown.

The aromas were quite interesting the juniper was nice experience to savor right up front. It did have a lot of herbal aromas going on some a little strange to me but noticeable. The beer had a citric to it but hidden behind the herbs. The flavor was balanced so it did surprise me to see this in a CA IPA but pleasantly so. It had a medium feel to it with ample carbonation for me.

The brew was easy to drink and I would have liked another glass. A nice surprise for me from California

06-11-2010 15:40:16 | More by joepais
hoppyhampy

2.83/5  rDev -23.3%

22oz bomber poured into a tulip glass. Bought last week but no other freshness info. Very deep, dark amber color, like the color of bourbon. Nice head formation but it disappears quickly. No lacing. Smell is malty sweet, then slightly hoppy before quickly transitioning to a, for lack of a better word, "musty" sage scent. Carbonation is a little low and the overall mouthfeel is pretty thick, more so than I like. Goes down like a big, heavy beer. The taste is interesting and complex. Mostly sage and roasted malt on the palate up front but you can still get a sense of the hops. The juniper kind of comes through at the end adding an extra dimension to the hops. I'd like the hops more at the fore especially since they still leave a nice bitterness even after having to overcome so much else going on. Overall, a unique interpretation of the style but the excessive malt makes it come off like a bitter amber ale and the sage just doesn't present well in this beer.

05-31-2010 05:30:14 | More by hoppyhampy
joebrewer

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

Appearance: Reddish-brown, not cloudy. Poured with some head that didn't completely disappear.

Smell: Great herbal aroma from the sage and juniper. Very bright.

Taste: Very clean and initially it reminds me of a gruit. The hops come through right after the herbs. Great balance between the herbs, hops, and malt.

Mouthfeel: light. The carbonation is a little higher than I expected, but it is not astringent. I think it's appropriate.

Drinkability: Surprisingly good. I really look forward to having another sip.

Other: bought cold from Hi Times. 22oz.

05-27-2010 00:00:51 | More by joebrewer
sidetracked

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a cloudy deep amber with a cream colored head.

Smells strongly of juniper, sage, and piney hops. Some sweetness coming through too.

Taste is an interesting mix of bitter hops and juniper. A little malt presence in the middle. Bitter hops at the finish with a lingering spiced flavor.

Mouthfeel is between a light and medium body with good carbonation. Finish is a bit dry.

Drinkability is good--not your typical DIPA flavor, but nice hop presence and really interesting.

04-28-2010 02:40:05 | More by sidetracked
OStrungT

3.95/5  rDev +7%

This beer pours a slightly cloudy dark golden color, with a light tan head. The thin head fades slowly, leaving a decent lace.

This beer has a mild juniper aroma. Some piney hops mix in as well. It has a very subtle sweet malty aroma as well.

This beer tastes much like it smells. Pine hops and juniper. It finishes with a noticable sage like aroma. Quite unique, and not necesarily bad.

This beer is full bodied. It leaves a sage like aftertaste. Carbonation is low.

This beer would not make the best session beer. It is good, and unique, but I think the flavor would become a bit cloying after a time.

Overall: This is a good beer, but not something I want to drink by the case.

03-27-2010 03:16:17 | More by OStrungT
chickencoop

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

I owe this beer to the old beer crew at Hi-Times/ Costa Mesa, Mike and his guys for turning me onto this, the new guys are a little weak i must say. Overall this is a big beer, smell, taste, finish, it is all dominated by that friggin juniper, and it all works. This has taken the IPA thing and moved on from the citrus to another shrub and it is refreshing. This beer alone is good stuff, but beyond that not so much, not very drinkable after the 22.

03-12-2010 06:38:16 | More by chickencoop
HugePlume

Washington

4.8/5  rDev +30.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- Beautiful copper color with a long lasting head. Good lacing.

S- If you enjoy the eastern sierra or great basin outdoors you have to try this beer. The juniper and sage jump out at you and instantly take you to your favorite great basin outdoors location. A delight to smell

T- the juniper and sage are still present but balance well with the fruity hop essence making a well rounded IPA. Does not drink like a strong I-IPA. Not a hop bomb, it may be misclassified.

M- Good typical IPA mouthfeel.

D- If you enjoy the sage and juniper you can go back to this brew time and again. My favorite Mammoth brew.

02-05-2010 03:41:50 | More by HugePlume