IPA 395 - Mammoth Brewing Company

IPA 395IPA 395

Mammoth Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-04-2008

1.98/5  rDev -47.3%

(reviewed from notes; sampled sometime in late September '11)

I was very intrigued after reading the bottle while perusing the shelves at my local bottle shop. It says they use juniper and sage, along with local hops, in this one. Well, it definitely shines through and not in a pleasant way.

Appearance is typical of the style. Smell offers a glimpse of the unpleasantness to come. Very strange, off-putting aroma of wild flora (I guess that's the juniper and sage).

Taste is very unpleasant. I got a few sips down and had had enough. Imagine gathering some very wild, very dry sage, juniper leaves, and hops, and then soaking them in sugary water... that is what this beer tasted like.

I don't remember what the mouthfeel was like, as the awful taste dominated all else, so I'll just call the mouthfeel average.

I'd heard where this beer had given some others a bad headache. After only several sips, I felt it start to go to work on my cranium. Down the drain it went, and fast.

Very disappointed. I like the bottle, the description, the thought and the effort, but the beer was not good at all. (1,105 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -12.2%

Incredibly intense, almost forbiddingly so.

Pours a deep copper with a thick dense head. The aroma is a blast of piny hops. The flavor is quite malty, lots of crystal malt, with a vast wall of piny and citrus hops, so intense as to almost have a menthol edge. The mouthfeel is thick and the finish is hot and bitter.

This is not a refreshing beer. It is just too intense to be really enjoyable, even by DIPA standards. (420 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -1.6%

22oz bottle.

Pours cloudy amber with some fine particulates and a half inch head of beige. Broken sheets of lacing and a solid skim coat on the surface for the duration.

Aromatics lead off with earthy sage, gin-like juniper, and pine bark. Quite earthy with plenty of spice and a hint of peppercorns.

Medium bodied with a slight chew and a doughy mouthfeel.

Spicy juniper with earthy sage start the palate. A moderate bitterness with shades of grapefruit and pine follows through along with a solvent-like nod.

Finishes with pungent juniper and sage with fading hop resins and a solventy bite.

A very interesting beer, but the spicing is way heavy and I think it's the intense juniper that gives the beer the commercial cleaner mid-flavor and finish. It's hard to get past and reminds me of diluted ammonia.
Overall the beer is foremost a spiced beer and barely recognizable as an IPA, let alone a IIPA. (910 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

849th Review on BA
Bottle to Tulip
22oz

No date

Purchased from a Shell station in Bishop, CA

App- A caramel medium brown with a 1-1/2" finger head with a soft white fast receding head. A good amount of cling and webbing.

Smell- This was uniquely aromatic. I can't say I've had Juniper or Sage in a beer but I liked the spicy, earthy, grassy notes. Wasn't the most appealing but still quite good.

Taste- A very tasty and big IPA. Many flavors blend to come together into one almost harmonious balance. A little berry flavor with a lot of earthy from the spice of the sage.

Mouth- A medium bodied beer with a medium carbonation. Berry and sage and a bit one dimensional.

Drink- A nice and spicy dry DIPA. The sage is unique to the profile. A bit thick and a touch too malty where the juniper should dominate. Pretty damn tasty though. (839 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -11.4%

A: Reddish/Copper color with a 2 finger tan head. Spotty lacing down the glass.

S: I may have let this one age a little too long. Sweet malts, juniper and some caramel. Slight floral hops.

T: Not getting a ton of hops here. Some faded hop resin along with caramel malts, juniper, some sage and a lot of buttery oak. Not great. (328 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

Finally found a beer brewed with sage! Very excited about this. Anyways Bought this at a local market, says its brewed with Juniper Berries and Desert Sage. Surprised however at the level of IBU per what the Web sight says its at 60IBUs for a DIPA? really? I'd expect 80 or above for a double but I'll get over it.

A-Unexpectedly poured a dark ruby red color with a frothy soap like head that held up quite nicely. Good active carbonation.

S-Damn strait!! Sage! Nice earthy notes of fresh mottled sage. Good sweet malt aroma.

T- Earthy spiciness, mottled fresh sage, mint, nice earthy hop character with a surprisingly sweet malt backbone, that I find should be as load as it is in this style. However this beer reflects were it comes from. Very earthy, alot of medicinal type flavors coming through, nice sweetness to it although for the style shouldn’t be as pronounced.

M- Creamy and smooth, little sticky sweetness to it and for the style of it being a DIPA i don’t understand the malt strength. Maybe its the juniper berries.? Pump up those IBU's to 80 or so I'd think they have something going.

O-The sage surprisingly works well with this beer! Bout time someone does it. I think if i were camping, maybe even fishing out in the Seirra's I'd be in a better mood for this beer. Judging this beer for being DIPA my grade would be much lower but for what this beer is. I'd score well.. Much Higher. Buy it, try it and enjoy. (1,438 characters)

A big thanks to DarthKostrizer for this extra. Cheers!

Appearance – Pours a rather dark cloudy orange color into my tulip. About a finger of tan head is achieved that dissipates quickly leaving slight lacing.

Smell – Pine, hops, spices, herbs, mint, floral aromas, and malty backbone.

Taste – I tasted this without reading any reviews. The first thing that came to my mind was mint (which I am a huge mint fan so this intrigued me). I will admit, this beer states it is brewed in winter so I’m not sure how fresh this is. That said, this does not really remind me of a DIPA. It does still have some hop characteristics, however, it is more sweet now, like a barelywine. However, I don’t know, it works? I am really enjoying the spices/mint that is intermixed within this beer, and the more sweet backbone. It’s working for me…

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, decent carbonation.

Overall – Honestly, I’m not sure what to think. For a DIPA, it is bad. But for whatever I’m drinking, it’s not that bad. If you gave this to me and said it was supposed to be a DIPA I would laugh – there really is not much here that would make me think that. However, if you said it was a fresher barlywine mixed with herbs and mint, I’d agree completely. I’m oddly enjoying this beer and would no joke like to have another one or two in order to age them to see if it becomes even more barleywine like as it progresses. (1,429 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

A&S - Pours a deep copper with a good amount of eggshell colored head, smells of caramel malt, a lot of piney hops, some sage adding to the earthiness.

T&M - Tastes very dry on the front with lots of sticky pine, it then turns sweet on the back with lots of that caramel malt and sage working together with a strong hop presence. Mouthfeel is well carbonated for its medium body.

O - Not a favorite but overall a nice beer.

After a trip to Mammoth I cracked this one open at home on a hot day, after the first sip I realized this was meant to be drank in the local area while skiing or fishing. The earthiness is very strong but on a nice day in mammoth it would really hit the spot. The pine presence is also very strong, which may be a bad thing for some. Mammoth Brewing has now become a place i'll stop by while i'm in the area, however most brews lack the wow factor and a reason for me to recommend them to other, and so forth. Overall pick this one up if your in the area and be sure to drink it while your there, also the bottles makes a nice addition to the collection. Stay thirsty my friends! (1,106 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +17.6%

dark orange amber color and a huge head of white coming up and over the top. Majestic looking would be the right word here. Thick lacing up and down the sides of the glass throughout. Most pungent aroma I have come across in as long as I can remember. Thick dose of grapefruit and orange right up front. Huge sticky hops just dripping off of this one. Rich and sweet as I take the first sip. Grapefruit and sugar dipped prange just coating the tongue. Soo fresh it almost hurts. Even warming it brings no relief as the hops are soo thick and omnipresent that you are just taken a back and completely blown away. (611 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Slightly hazy, medium amber color with over one finger of cinnamon-tinted foam head. Moderate lacing remains on the glass.

S: Entirely unconventional with pungent herbaceous spice consisting of aromatic wild sage. Malt and hops never have a chance in the face of the chemical harshness of surface cleaner and lemon-lime soda. No alcohol is detected.

T: Begins off-dry, with summery sage and conifer foliage that is surprisingly authentic--not in the sense that it is an authentic IPA, but rather reminiscent of a hot summer day spent hiking in the California mountains. Acidity is kept under tight control, and malt is also a factor, contributing a caramel backbone in addition to the suggestion of sweetness. Moderate bitterness develops into the finish, still tasting of sage. No alcohol is detected.

M: Medium viscosity, slightly sticky and warming on the palate but only weakly astringent (despite a smell and flavor that suggests there ought to be more,) with low carbonation.

D/O: While this is probably not a beer one would want to drink frequently--or a lot of--it is uncanny in its ability to transport the senses back to earlier times spent hiking along hot and dusty trails through a landscape of inland sage scrub and chaparral. It is starting to seem like the IPA styles are not the specialty of this brewery, but the mastery shown here in imparting intense and focused herbal notes makes one think that Mammoth should focus their efforts toward those off-beat but characterful fruit and vegetable beers that seem to pop up in the least expected places. (1,615 characters)

1.29/5  rDev -65.7%

First off let me say I bought a two dollar pint of this beer. It may have been a little old coming out of the keg but I doubt that is the reason for how poorly this beer tastes.

Appearance: Amber in color, much more of a red ale or amber ale look. Head dissipated quickly leaving no lacing.

Smell: Ummm...menthol cigarettes or some sort of skunky mint/dirt taste. Very unpleasant.

Taste: Even more unpleasant than the smell. It is like liking an ashtray.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation was fine and it finished as smooth as a horrible beer can finish.

Overall: This beer gave me a headache about 5 sips in. Avoid at all costs. (625 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 22 oz bomber to pint glass. 4/20/11.

A - reddish brown with 1 finger off white head. Reasonably good lacing. Coloring is not reminiscent of the style. Way too dark.

S - Any hopping is far overpowered by caramel, brown sugar, basil and juniper berries. It's very aromatic, but not like an IPA should be.

T - Taste follows the nose well. Very malty and herbal upfront, and finishes dry like gin on the back. Too sweet for me and very strange basil taste. This one isn't for me.

M - Mouthfeel isn't terrible. A bit astringent but the texture and carbonation are decent.

O - I'll pass on this one. It's more of an herbal red ale and doesn't make a strong showing for the style. (690 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -16%

From 04/09/11 notes. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip. Shared by BigSexy410.

a - Pours a reddish amber color with an inch of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sage, spice, floral notes, juniper berries, and caramel malts.

t - Taste of sage, juniper berries, spices, floral hops, light citrus hops, and light caramel malts. Lots more juniper berries and less caramel malts than the smell.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

o - Overall a beer that is very strong on the juniper berries, which I'm not a big fan of. If you are, worth checking out, but I would pass on again. (614 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass, the beer pours with a huge head. After some time to settle, the beer is a slighty hazy blood-amber coloring. The head has a very decent retention, and appears to be light and foamy, with a slightly copper-tinged coloring. Very flowery nose, with the hops representation sneaking in behind. Definite jasmine notes coming from the flowery aromas, and a little reminiscent of what some weed smells like (from what I hear, of course). The flavors are very floral, and the hops are a good balance for all of the flavors. Heavy jasmine characteristics in the flavor, and the body is light and crisp. Also, some peppery notes from the hops help to tie up all of the different tastes towards the end. Very interesting. The aftertaste is floral, and the finish lingers pleasantly in mouth. This is an easy drinker, and very refreshing. Very unique flavor range for this style! (907 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -47.6%

8%, 50 IBU. 22oz bottle

Appearance: a murky amber brown.

Smell: Sage.

Taste: first sip earns the "gross beer face". The herbal sage flavor dominates completely. The sage and juniper additions really don't support the IPA, since I didn't really notice anything else. And they don't stand on their own, because the overall flavor is way out of balance.

I couldn't drink much of this. However, I came back later and had a sip from the now-room-temperature bottle, and found that when warm, enough malt comes forward to play down the herbs. If you have a bottle of this, make sure to serve it on the warm end of the spectrum! (625 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -25.3%

Thanks to Ultraman9000 for this bottle. Poured in to Duvel tulip.

A - Medium to dark amber; opaque. A small amount of khaki coloured head. Looks like a barleywine.

S - A lot of caramel sweetness at first. Some floral notes and a smell that I can't put my finger on that is definitely herbal (likely the sage), which is somewhat off-putting.

T - The herbal (sage?) flavour dominates the palate, making it difficult to detect the hops and the sweet caramel that was in the nose. Very strong earthy taste. There is a slight bitterness present along with a slight sweetness, but overall the herbal flavour overpowers the palate and dominates.

M - Medium body; light to moderate carbonation.

D - I didn't enjoy this one and I could not figure out how this was possible a DIPA (old bottle), but it was interesting to try. (825 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +4%

A - Amberish brown and murky - very odd for the style and dark for the style but it's brewed with Sage and Juniper so I'm guessing that has a lot to do with it. Decent head retention

S - Pine, Sage, citrus hops and smells pungent like this beer will be sticky and resinous. It's also earthy and it smells somewhat spicy as well.

T - Follows nose exactly but add a cinnamon component here is what I'm picking up as what I described as spicy in the nose. The malt bill backs this beer up pretty good to note, as it still holds it's hops well over a couple months without getting too sweet. The Sage is a bit overpowering however and could be toned down some while toning the citrus qualities up some. But that's just me. I think the brewer achieved what he was going for as this beer is supposed to showcase the sage and juniper along with the hops highlighting HWY 395. They are all there.

M - All flavors molded well into a resinous and sticky mouthfeel which I like in my DIPAs. Sagish Dank.

D - Solid - not too hard to polish off a bomber.

I recommend this beer as a must try even if just once as this is probably the most unique twist on the style I've had from a Cali DIPA. Enjoyable. If you don't like Sage, you won't like this beer. (1,243 characters)

no freshness date. at fridge temp poured into a bulb style glass.

pours out a dark red with a bit of orange. one finger of soapy off white head with pretty decent retention. quite a bit of sticky lace. slightly murky.

spices and a bit of honey sweetness at the forefront. a bit of cinnamon, herbal, floral, and some other christmasy spices. the aroma is almost identical to great lakes christmas ale.

the begining of the taste follows the aroma, a bit sweet with lots of spice. cinnamon, honey, christmasy spices. citrus, herbal hops with some decent bitterness. kind of a spicy almost chile like finish.

medium bodied, carb feels good for the style. some lingering hop bitterness, but not as much as you might expect in a double ipa.

very drinkable, was surprised that this was 8%. a very interesting take on such a popular style. reminds me of a hopped up version of great lakes christmas ale. i recommend you try this. (926 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +14.9%

I picked this up at the Bevmo in Fairfield.

Appearance- dark amber color, nice looking head

Smell- lots of citrus hops

Taste- piney hops, very nice

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I was really impressed with this beer. It had that hop bite that I love so much and soothes me. Awesome beer (300 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +8.5%

12oz bottle from a 4-pack bought while up at Yosemite. pours a stunningly dark caramel glistening with amber and ruby highlights. looks like barleywine. a thick two-finger brown sugary colored head slowly fades leaving immensely chunky lacing down the glass. striking. although unexpected.

aroma packs a wallop. biscuit and caramel malt up front along with citrus hops - almost like fruit slice candy. then a poignantly resinous pine backed by juniper berries, sage, tarragon. It smells like I shoved a pine tree up my nose. or a christmas-themed yankee candle. And I'm loving it.

Taste is intense. rich caramel malt, touch of alcoholic heat, then resinous, sticky pine hops. citrus zest. like chewing on a spruce tree spritzed with lime zest and dunked in gin (all pleasurable in my book). All in all, it's a strong, powerful - if not slightly unbalanced and haphazard - double ipa reminiscent of something along the lines of 120min. A bit hot, a bit strong, a bit pungent, and definitely a lot of juniper and pine character.

mouth is sticky, full, rich, and luscious bubbles caress my tongue and help me forget how confusing and intense this herbal, juniper-fueled trip is.

All in all, i love this. but I love juniper. and I like sage. and I like pine. (now defunct Siletz brewing made an ale with spruce needles instead of hops. and I loved that). As a double IPA goes, this is pretty solid. And I'm going to score it as a double IPA. I like the juniper and sage which puts it in a different category and all in all would lead me to score this evne a bit higher... if it were in a Spiced IPA category. If you like juniper and sage in your beer and like malty, hot IPAs, this is your beer. and if you don't, then it's not for you. But I'm absolutely loving it! (1,767 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -10.1%

Bottle. Pours a deep reddish clear mahagony color with a nice slightly tan 1 finger head. Good lace. The aroma is a mixture of hops, cedar, and sage. It definitely has an herbal type aroma to it. Very interesting flavor. Not sure if I like it or not yet. Sweet malty backbone accented by a hoppy herbal like taste. Ends somewhat cleanly. Medium mouthfeel. I find myself keep drinking it so it must not be too bad. Not extremely hoppy or matly which is somewhat a surprise for a DIPA. The sage and juniper are fairly present and take center stage as they have such a pronounced aroma and taste. A unique beer to say the least. No real evidenceof the 8% abv. (656 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -39.1%

Poured into Founders snifter.

Pours about a finger of khaki head. Decent retention with some lace. Color is a clear ruby hued mahogany.

Aroma: Almost smells like cedar. The spices(juniper berries) add a unique flavor. Very herbal like. Pine flavored hops. Some grapefruit citrus. Unique.

Taste: Very grassy/weedy/piney hops. The spices are way too much for me. Juniper in ipa = odd. The malt profile doesn't show to much because the spice dominates the pallet. Very odd.

Mouthfeel: Bitter and spiced. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with more spiced and some stickiness.

Overall, the spices take too much away from the hops. If I wanted a dipa, I would go for something else. This one just doesn't cut it for me. (742 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -12.8%

Had this on 2010-08-27 in Reno, NV from a 22oz bomber.

A - Hazy caramel with a one-finger, light tan head.

S - Pine, caramel, juniper, mild citrus, herbal. Didn't love the smell.

T - Initial bitterness followed by roasted malt with caramel sweetness. Perhaps a little too sweet. In addition to the lingering bitter-sweet taste, I noticed a mineral taste that combined with the juniper flavor didn't do a lot for me. It is unique tasting.

M - Medium body and light-medium carbonation.

D - One was enough. Enjoyable but not great. (533 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +9%

I've spent a few days in Mammoth and been enjoying their beers, but this is certainly my favorite. Most of the beers are fairly clean and standard for the style, but this is a truly interesting brew that most breweries should be proud to offer. Behind rich citrus hops (which are pretty normal) there's a lovely undercurrant of the juniper and sage that both sets this IPA apart and gives it great local flavor. If you try anything from this brewery, here's your beer. (468 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -43.1%

A: The pour is amber in color with a creamy off-white head.

S: The amount of sage in this beer is nearing ridiculous. And when you get passed the sage, there is juniper, and a lot of that too. Overall, a very vegetal and wild aroma.

T: A solid bitterness which is really the only thing that is reminiscent of an IPA in this beer. Lots of herbal notes, and the sage just takes over this beer.

M: Medium in terms of both body and carbonation.

D: This was just bad. I like sage in reasonable amounts in food, and juniper is a good herb as well (I'm a big gin fan), but this just does not work. (594 characters)

IPA 395 from Mammoth Brewing Company