Fuggin' IPA - River City Brewing Co.

Fuggin' IPA
No picture uploaded.

River City Brewing Co. visit their website
Kansas, United States

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 03-22-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by SuperSpy:
SuperSpy

Georgia

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

This poured up an almost copper color, with a white head that lasted for a very long time and left behind some beautiful lace as it slowly died down to a nice foam cap.

The smell was a bit weak, which I will assume is from the excessively cold temperature it was served at. However, some light malts came through with a piney, floral, and citrusy hop presence dominating.

Medium bodied, smooth and a bit astringent, the first sip was all about the grape fruit but the beer slowly became more and more complex. Some light sweet malt flavors were detectable, with light fruits, especially apple and a bit of white grape, followed by some intense citrus flavors. Extremely enjoyable.

I would drink this one again and again, but I believe it's only a seasonal brew so hopefully mine and this beer's paths will cross in the future. Get it while you can and enjoy this excellent example of a great American style.

11-20-2006 15:13:54 | More by SuperSpy
Quaffer

Nevada

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I snagged this beer on the first day that it was on tap for the season. Thanks to Dan for the heads up.

Information from the brewer: Made with Centennial and Fuggles hops in the boil and dry hopped with Centennial. The outcome is a brew of 60 IBU. To quote the brewer, "My mash tun was full to the brim when I mashed in, so I think it's fairly well balanced as far as malt character . . . " I would have to agree.

Appearance: This was a hazey, very deep amber beer that was darker than most pales that I have seen. While this beer looked great as it was, it probably would have gotten a "5" if it would have been lighter (closer to a classic IPA color). This, however, had no impact at all on my enjoyment of this brew.

When poured properly, a dense tan head rose up to one finger and disappeared rather quickly. But the amount of lace left behind was huge. It left rings around the glass with each drink that I took.

Smell: The aroma was weaker than I would have expected from a brew with this appearance and flavor. A relatively mild pine-like hops aroma was present, but that was about it.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and fairly smooth. There was some carbonation bite on the tongue, its intensity dependent upon the aggresiveness of the server's pour.

Taste: This was exactly what an IPA should be. The hops character was dominant, being floral and piney. The malt was there to balance this beer out, but was not so strong as to detract from the purpose of this brew. All it did was create a perfect balance to the hops, which carried on well into the finish.

You know, I always try to be impartial when it comes to regional brews. But when they keep making beers such as this one, I can't help but give them high marks. This is an outstanding IPA. Period. This is my favorite offering ever from RCBC. (I know, I know . . . I've said that before).

03-22-2003 23:41:27 | More by Quaffer
Fuggin' IPA from River City Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.