Corsendonk Pater / Abbey Brown Ale - Brouwerij Corsendonk

Corsendonk Pater / Abbey Brown AleCorsendonk Pater / Abbey Brown Ale

Brouwerij Corsendonk visit their website

Dubbel |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corsendonk Pater / Abbey Brown Ale Alström Bros

1.04/5  rDev -74.1%

1.25/5  rDev -68.8%

2.08/5  rDev -48.1%

Maybe I got a bad (old) 4 pack? I was extremely disappointed in this stuff. Bought it for a fight night on HBO with high expectations after reading about it here..All the aformentioned appearance and mouthfeel opinions by other reviewers apply here, but the taste? YUCK! The best I can describe it would be fruit that went bad. It's not really TOO bad until the finish, which made me cringe after each swallow. Never again.

2.19/5  rDev -45.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Corsendonk pater dubbel
Dark red/brown color with very little head.
Smells slight fruity bread. Sweet, caramel.
Tastes almost like slightly dark chocolate that hangs on the back of thr throat. Caramel ane slightly dark fruit. It tastes really good.
Low carbonation
6.5 % not detectable.

Update: this beer is inconsistent. Every bottle seems to taste different. First bottle is reviewed above. The other bottles smelled like wet dog and each bottlr tasted different.

2.3/5  rDev -42.6%

A: Dark brown with a thick white head that disappears. There was a lot of carbonation and the bottle foamed over when opened.

S: Slightly tannic and earthy. There is also a nutty, almost "iron" smell to it like dried blood has.

T: Again, "iron" and a nutty taste. No apparent alcohol and a slight taste of malt.

M: Felt very carbonated and fizzed on the tongue like Pepsi does.

D: Frankly, if I knew what this one would be like, I'd have just ordered the Pepsi that it felt like. I'm wondering if there was something wrong with the bottle I had.

2.55/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

From the experimental batch. Best by Nov 19, 2004, sampled well after that, lol. But at 7.5%, we'll see how it held up.

Appearance - pours a muddy cola color into a Duvel glass with a very frothy light brown head. It builds a cap of about 2 fingers and starts to bubble down fast before it kind of dries up and holds at a half-finger or so.Stays off the glass somehow and yields no lacing. 4.5

Aroma - some sweet, fruity kind of yeast with a light caramel undertone. It fades to more of a bready, crackery but still slightly sweet aroma. After drinking half of this, a scent hit me in the olfactory that takes me back about 30 years...plastic planes, tanks, and cars all held together with the heady-scented Testor's Model cement. Not every time, but the alcohol and the sourness and whatever, just now and then it was unmistakeable. 3.5

Taste - starts out with a sour, tart fruitiness, like a lambic. Rats, one of *those* beers, lol. Oh well, it's been a while and I need to keep my palate honest. I think I'll do well to try and pick up the flavors stated on the bottle text. Port and raisins, I can find those in the tartness after my mouth gets used to the initial flavor. The black chocolate I'm not so sure about. I detect a hint of *something* back there, could be chocolate, or maybe just the malty side fighting through the sour veil at times. Halfway through the first glass I can even accept that there is some sweetness here, also undetectable at first. Maybe I should have this with some sharply flavored cheese or something. By itself, I can see it is a well-made creation but it is not for me. 2.5

Mouthfeel - over the top carbonation, just about blew the cork out when I turned it. Average weight to the body, I would almost prefer a lower carbonation to try and pick out some of the more subtle flavors, but that's not often to style with these kinds of beer. 2.0

Drinkability - no, not one I would have again but I am grateful to the Van Steerberge staff for the opportunity to try their beer. 1.5

2.6/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a hazy brown with ruby tinges at the bottom of the goblet. Rim-defying creamy biege head that ever so slowly recedes, but never disappears. Smell has a mustiness, almost metallic, and a hint of cider. Weird. Taste is cidery, with the same almost metallic cidery flavor. Hint of sourness to it. Not sure what is up with this beer. It fades as the beer warms, but it still tickles the sides of the tongue. Mouthfeel is very thin and one-sided - very carbonated. It's just off enough to make me think I got a bad bottle. I'll need to get another one to be sure on this. Certainly disappointing.

Addendum: Adding the yeast from the bottom of the bottle yielded a noticeable change in the aroma and taste. The aroma changed to a yeasty bready smell, and the cidery aspect was augmented. The metallic mustiness was obscured. The taste changed to allow notes of chocolate, maybe a hint of port and even less so of smoke. I'm going to leave my numbers unchanged, but this is certainly an improvement. When/if I get another bottle, I will re-review this beer. Something's gotta be off with this bottle.

2.68/5  rDev -33.2%

I did not enjoy this beer much. It smelled of oranges and wheats. Tasted some of the bready orange/sugar flavor, but it seemed unbalanced. Too much going on and not enough good flavor to help it out. I enjoyed the feel of the beer and the appearance. This beer was below average in my opinion.

2.73/5  rDev -31.9%

I seem to have a different opinion of this beer than everyone else, but I'm sure I had a good bottle. Poured a cloudy, odd brown color with a small head that disappeared quickly. It has a sweet wine aroma, with some burnt caramel scents. The taste is very sweet, I mostly tasted caramel. It is really carbonated, which took alot away from the flavor. For a $4 bottle, I was expecting more.

2.85/5  rDev -28.9%

Poured into a chimay glass. Pours a huge cream coco colored head, good sticky lacing to boot. The body is deep brown with ruby red edges when held to the light.

Cherries, figs, raisins, candy, light hops, (I suppose port but I don’t know that aroma too well)….this one takes on some Christmas like notes. I’m not sure what to say.

This one tastes like a barrel aged wine or liquor is mixed with a fruity beer. There’s some almost sour notes from the hops at the finish. There’s a lot of dark fruits. Surprisingly there is a bit too little sweetness for what I expected at least. The finish isn’t for me, too much yeast and hops without a good finish.

Lighter bodied for the Belgium beers and surprisingly light for the 7.5%. The carbonation is good giving a creamy body here, a touch too carbonated but very acceptable all things considered.

Apparently Abbey Brown Ale isn’t for me. I don’t get what the brewer wanted here but I hope they can work things out.

2.88/5  rDev -28.2%

Pours a rich brown color into a pint glass, unfortunately. This beer was served too cold and dimished the aromas and taste.

It was HIGHLY carbonated. The biting carbonation seemed to override the flavors, whatever they were. I will try this again just to see if my reaction remains the same.

At this point, I cannot recommend this beer.

2.93/5  rDev -26.9%

Cork pops out of bottle with great vigor, and pours a muddy looking brown, with a thick cappucino head that slowly disappates. Thick lacing left on glass.

Aroma is somewhat odd. The usual malt, caramel, and sugar has an odd backdrop of rotten fruit, basement must, and stale hops.

The flavor here is a bit of a let down as well, Slightly sweet, but with minimal body. Under-ripe figs, and a bit of caramel is all I can really pick out. Think mouthfeel.

When I smelled it, I figured this bottled had cork taint and was oxidized. Upon drinking it, I seem to think that this is not the case, but that this is simply the way the beer is. It's not a dubbel in my mind, like the label says. It's almost as if a dubbel had been mixed with a gueze. Odd to say the least. Not unenjoyable, just not correct for the style at all.

2.95/5  rDev -26.4%

was disappointed in this one. Its possible i got a goofed up bottle. I did notice that after uncaging it the cork almost popped itself off.
anywho, on to the tasting.
poured out a medium brown color with an off white head that was 4 inches, yes 4 inches. I had to decant 4 times to finish off the bottle. the head was high and lasted for a good while. not liking that so much
smell was faint. but mostly an average spiciness with some faint fruitiness.
taste was nothing to write home about. it was simple, clean and nothing really stood out to me.
mouthfeel is where it really lost ground because it was quite fizzy. soda like. the fizz actually had a slight burning sensation on the tongue. I did not enojy that so much. all in all not a bad beer but not really all that great either. I wouldn't shell out the 7 bucks again.

Cloudy copper color, huge off-white head which slowly diminished to leave strong lace. Aroma is yeaty, doughy, bready. Flavor is quite sweet and fruity - raisin, cotton candy, and a slight bubblegum and banana in there. Very tingly mouthfeel. There are many Belgian ales that far surpass this one.

Corsendonk Pater / Abbey Brown Ale from Brouwerij Corsendonk