Corsendonk Pater / Abbey Brown Ale - Brouwerij Corsendonk

Corsendonk Pater / Abbey Brown AleCorsendonk Pater / Abbey Brown Ale

Brouwerij Corsendonk visit their website

Dubbel |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corsendonk Pater / Abbey Brown Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,059 | Reviews: 572
3.38/5  rDev -15.7%

This beer pours a cloudy brown/red color with a decent head and a little lacing on the glass. The aroma reminded me of a weiss beer with malts also present. The flavor did not correspond with the aroma very well as the flavor was malty, but the wheat was not present. Very pleasing taste. I liked this beer much more than I expected I would.

3.01/5  rDev -24.9%

On tap at Eli Cannon's in Middletown, CT.
The beer is a deep brown, touched with a mahogany red when looked at in front of light. Head is initially thick, frothy and white, but dies quicky to a misty map of carbonation atop the beer.
Aroma is definitely belgian, with that candi sweetness. Plenty of esters and a touch of roasted malt. I've smelled more interesting beers than this, and not neccesarily belgian.
Flavor is mainly belgian sweetness. A touch roasty and cocoa-like, with lots of fruity flavors, including plum, raisin, and sweet pineapple. Sort of syrupy in mouthfeel. Full bodied and nicely carbonated, but sort of dull. It's got all the belgian flavors you come to expect, but I just didn't really get a kick out of it. I had to try to finish the snifter on the last 1/4 glass. i was trying to make tasting notes, and nothing was standing out, beyond the belgian candi sweetness and esters I guess I'm just not into belgian style beers, particularly this one.

4.23/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours with a burgundy color and a huge head that is very well retained. Aroma is of ripe plum. Taste is of plum, raisins, and a little sour cherry. I'm very impressed with all the flavors in this beer. I would have thought a beer this easy to find would be of lesser quality, but this doesn't suffer from the mass-produced taste.

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

For some reason this one always seems to hit the spot for me. I love how all the ingredients mix so well to create this fabulous belgian beer. Quite sweet with various malts. Lots of plums, raisins and other fruit in it. Tarty apples are apparent. A slight alcohol comes in the middle providing me with a comfortable warming sensation. The Belgian yeast is noticeable throughout and really makes for an interesting, if not great, mouthfeel. This is my comfort beer.

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

As is the case with their triple, this is an excellent, but not great Belgian Ale. Dark in color and flavor. Flavor displays notes of chocolate, maybe some cherry. Not overly sweet, and quite smooth. Maybe a bit thinner and drier than the best of the style, but this would always be a good alternative.

3.68/5  rDev -8.2%

This poured a cloudy brown with a bubbly white campaign like head. We drank this delightful sparkling beer while sitting in the sun and brewing a California Common. This beer although high in alchohol, made a great sipping beer. The aroma complemented the fine, light taste. The bubbles tingled the tongue and the tartness made me thirsty for the next sip. It was a nice drinkable beer in a social sitting.

3.68/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured a medium brown color with medium head that left some real nice lacing,aroma of powdered sugar and dried fruit with a bood malt accent.A somewhat fruity taste with a deep malty background a little sweet with a somewhat thin mouthfeel.Was expecting a little more from this one but not to bad.

3.93/5  rDev -2%

On tap at Ale Mary's. Poured a deep brown with some scarlet around the edges of the glass accompanied by a deep tan head about a fingers width thick. The smell was not very complex, which surprised me a little. Some indistinct malts and an overall yeasty/wheat aroma but nothing to write home about. The taste was sweet, but heavy with notes of rasberry and cherry witha chalky mouthfeel. Even though this did not get an extremely high rating I liked it a lot and will always be up for a pint. Not too expensive, even for pub standards.

3.48/5  rDev -13.2%

A very good looking brew that pours out a brownish amber color with a very robust head. The head is a bit lasting and laces very well. The nose gives off fruit and dried fruit aromas. This beer is really in the taste as it starts out with a heavy clovish sense and modulates into a more enjoyable spiced fruit flavor. There appear to be a number of flavors competing for dominance here. The feel is very heavy and has real bite to it. This is more a sipping than a gulping beer.

3.52/5  rDev -12.2%

Presentation: 12oz. amber bottle with screened graphics and best by date on paper ring around the neck.

Appearance: WARNING: Do not pour this beer quickly. Monster head after a slight pour with this one. Once it calmed down, I was able to s-l-o-w-l-y fill my glass. A brownish-amber color in appearance with a coffee-colored (did I mention BIG) head that quickly settles down and behaves itself...until you pour more in. Then it foams up big time again.

Smell: At first, I though it might be soured, but it's really almost all fruit. Green apples...and a tart sweetness that is really different.

Taste: Very fruity as well. Tart sweetness makes for a somewhat unpleasant flavor. Not much to balance this flavor out. The taste got a little better as it warmed.

Mouthfeel: Very active carbonation and the puckering tartness made for a different, though pleasing, mouthfeel.

Drinkability: I wasn't really fond of this one. It was OK, but something about it just didn't sit well with me. I didn't find myself wanting to drain the glass.

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

The Corsendonk Brown poured a dark brown (as expected). The smell was heavily malty. This beer had a fairly heavy taste, almost more like a stout.......still, an enjoyable taste all in all. The mouthfeel was very heavy, heavier than most other dubbels. This could be a fairly enjoyable beer to have a few of, although with summer coming up probably somewhat less so. All in all, a beer I'd certainly have again!

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Super appearance. Bown with a reddish glow to it, and a potentially masive off-white head that has little lacing effect. An extremely fruity beer, apple cider and some grape-like flavors to name the most dominant. This ale is sweet, with some alcohol spice to balance, but not much more than feint hops action. Highly carbonated and sweet mouthfeel.

4.62/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beauty pours a near perfect brown with deep hints of amber. The head is lively and tan with a loudly popping foam head that slows as it settles and becomes thicker, longer lived eventually settling out to a shaving cream like consistency. The Nose is wonderful; Hoppy sweet malt with hints of spice and pine, savor it.

The Taste is excellent as well with a dryer taste than the nose that is well balanced with mid level hoppiness that settles off and leaves a sweeter malt aftertaste. The taste is busy and complex with smooth transitions, very satisfying.

3.91/5  rDev -2.5%

One of the nicest colors in a beer...fun to examine. Sort of a cloudy root beer/plum/teak with a nice off-white head which fades, but remains as a thin cover then reveals a runny lace. Fun to examine! The aroma is complex with a yeasty clove dominating and citrus, herbal malt and alcoholic fragrances coming into play. Medium bodied with a slightly oily feel and citrus bitterness is noticeable. Wood-pressed apple cider comes to mind.

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

Thsi is indeed a "cult classic." Corsendonk is one of my favorite Belgian breweries. This brew is indicative of what they offer, A very spicey and nutty aroma and flavor, the appearance is something to behold, in all of its deep, dark brown glory. Well with the cost to try. Prost!

4.28/5  rDev +6.7%

Typically Belgian foamy head, hissing and fizzy and hard to contain. Aroma is spicy and peppery, and the color is mahogany brown. The head is very resilient, taste (like the aroma) is spicy and peppery, with an echo of malt. Interesting mix of sweetness and spice. I find myself coming back to this beer -- I'm editing this review many months after I first wrote it. This is becoming one of my favorite dubbels.

4.45/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The first thought that came to mind when I poured this was, “It’s Alive!” Upon initial pouring a huge, thick off-white froth arose from my glass. It took what seemed like an eternity for it to die down, leaving a nice 1/2-inch head. Moderate lace was left on the sides. Aromas of raisins, cherries, plums, and malts with hints of chocolate emerged from underneath the foam. The taste matched the aromas quite well, leaving a clean, dry finish. All of the flavors were exceptionally balance with minimal bitterness. I, definitely, can’t wait to try this one again.

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours a cloudy brown in color, almost opaque. The head is almost overflowing my tulip glass. It's ivory in color, frothy and fed by strong carbonation keeping it at about 1/4 inch.
Sweet aroma, fruity with alcohol present. Citrus rind and yeast too.
Taste is tart and sweet, slightly vinous. I taste raisins and alcohol with a bitter chocolate taste as the beer warms. It finishes dry with a lingering bitter aftertaste.
Body is nice and the beer is well carbonated. I may seek this one out again, but there are others out there of this style I prefer.

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

Hazy brown with a coarse, tan head. Smells like sour green apples and white raisins baked in butter and spiced with cinnamon. The taste is along the same likes with additional flavors of yeast and, toasted grains. The carbonation was a bit too prickly for me, but I’ll live. Somehow a clean, acidic bite was able to cut through the brew without being out of place or inappropriate. Tasty beer that I always enjoy enjoy going back to every now and again.

3.78/5  rDev -5.7%

I like its "holy name", Pater Noster. A rubyish chestnut color, like a ruddy brown that is almost transparent. The head is slightly brown, incredibly foamy and hard. Soft but strong and steady lace.

Nose is smoky, a chalky smoke flavor that comes over the fruity base which a raisin and yeasty one. Almost like a doppelbock in the balance of sweet, sour, and flowery; the missing part is the wheaty background. Like a thin dubbel is this “brown ale”, as a raisiny flavor is active on the tongue, with a slightly sweet tart fruit up front of tongue and mouth. Can taste the alcohol slightly. No real bitterness but plenty of tart sourness that is toned down slightly by the malt.

A good brew, they have on tap at my local watering hole all the time. An easy one to fall back on when needing a dark brew.

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

12oz bottle. This one isn't too expensive for a Belgian bottle. It was $6.50 at Eulogy. This one was very nice after two Lindemans Framboises and exactly what I wanted. I would say it is true to the Belgian Brown Ale style, very similar to Kwak, the end tastes especially. Like Kwak, the carbination, which starts off mild and kicks in late, is very strange to my American taste buds. I like strange. This is definitely a keeper.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Says is best enjoyd before 5 -12-02 n the label, from a 12oz. non-corked bottle. It pours with a hazy deep reddish brown with a pink toned creamy head. The aroma is still delivers a smokey great nose of apple, fig, raisins, and possibly other fruits. Very sweet in the aroma not a lot of hop character there. The taste is a little stale, and I am going to get another bottle. It is still enjoyable, but the flavors are not present which usually are in this abbey ale. The fruity sweetess is all there with some spicy kick to it, but it has mellowed and become much smoother a very drinkable creamy robust mouthfeel is still here. However the drinkabiltiy of this beer unless you have it on tap is kind of low due to the fact that it's flavors are so complex. I love this beer, and the first time I had it was at Fuel and Fuddle where the bartender gaves us a free 750 ml corked bottle, and that day my friends and I learned what beer is capable of. A very smooth and creamy flavor that goes down much too easy for the alcohol in this somewhat aged beer. Not my favorite beer, but definitely one that I found full respect for due to the lesson it served to my palate of being so complex.

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

Presentation: 11.15 oz amber bottle, marked on the neck "This ale best enjoyed before 30/10/98 LOTNR: 1096". (Note: I found this at a local liquor store, and they gave it to me for 99 cents when I pointed out the expiration date.)

Appearance: Hazy, brown, with moderate white foam that settled fairly quickly.

Smell: Nice, malty aroma, with hints of caramel, and a very, very faint aroma of fruit (apples, pears).

Taste: Initially sharp/sour, but then mellows to a malty flavor, with some oak, figs, and caramel. Some taste of yeast. Very little hops noticeable.

Mouthfeel: Lively carbonation, a bit sharp, and a slightly tart aftertaste.

Drinkability: Good. This bottle may have been a bit too old. I will review a fresher bottle when I get a chance.

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

mmmm... this poured with a huge, just off-white head that actually sloped away from the side of the glass I poured it on. Almost overflowed a 20-oz coca-cola shaped glass. Smells sweet, juicy, like an apple pie with currants.

Appearance is a wonderfully filthy brown color, as I poured it swirled around with muddy streamers and finally settled to a very murky tea color.

Taste is incredibly complex... very sweet and fruit-tasting. I got tones of apples, prunes, and brown sugar. The antithesis to an IPA; almost no hops flavor to be detected, but very, very, tasty. It's better at room temperature or just slightly chilled...so many flavors working together, this is a beer to rival granny's best baked goods.

Cloudy copper color, huge off-white head which slowly diminished to leave strong lace. Aroma is yeaty, doughy, bready. Flavor is quite sweet and fruity - raisin, cotton candy, and a slight bubblegum and banana in there. Very tingly mouthfeel. There are many Belgian ales that far surpass this one.

Corsendonk Pater / Abbey Brown Ale from Brouwerij Corsendonk