Corsendonk Agnus / Abbey Pale Ale - Brouwerij Corsendonk

Corsendonk Agnus / Abbey Pale AleCorsendonk Agnus / Abbey Pale Ale

Brouwerij Corsendonk visit their website

Tripel |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corsendonk Agnus / Abbey Pale Ale Alström Bros
straightjacket24

Missouri

02-28-2012 01:04:18 | More by straightjacket24
stcules

Italy

1.93/5  rDev -51.5%

Golden color, no bubbles. White and abundant head. It falls down quickly.
In the smell, a big sweet, warm fruitiness, sugary, exaggerated. Candy sugar, pear. Not balanced, too sweet.
The taste is too sweet too, and boring, with an exaggerated fruitiness (pear, pineappple, ripe peach).
Hop? Where?
No. Too sweet.
Not undrinkable, but why one would to drink it?

12-26-2006 16:40:35 | More by stcules

07-26-2014 23:25:05 | More by bugstuff
dotsonjamesg

Arkansas

2.45/5  rDev -38.4%

I have always been a fan of Tripels and Quads and such, though lately I have grown a little tired of them. It seems like all the good beers around here are sweet beers and drinking sugary beverages all the time gets a little old. I miss hoppy and aggressive beers from home. I can't find much of them around here so I guess I am stuck.

I found this brew next to a bottle of Chimay and thought I would give it a try.

Appearance: The brew pours a dark, clear body with a one finger off-white head. A little lacing here but the head quickly dissipated.

Smell: The nose is real light and sweet with a tinge of earthy and spicy notes. The brew isn't very aromatic, which is kind of a bummer.

Taste: The brew isn't what I thought it was going to be. I was expecting a sweet brew with rich spicy notes. This brew is in fact fairly light bodied and bitter. There is a presence of hops and a slight malty sweetness and some slight spiced notes, not much else; no complexity or big flavors here. The brew is actually pretty boring; what a disappointment.

Mouthfeel: Fairly thin with nice carbonation.

Drinkability: The brew promised big hopes but really failed to deliver. I will never buy this brew again and I advise you to do the same. Its not worth your time and it definitely isn't worth your hard earned money. Booo!

-Dotson

04-11-2009 21:55:42 | More by dotsonjamesg
TheLongBeachBum

2.53/5  rDev -36.4%

Piss Poor-Pour!!!!!
Another Contract Belgium beer that sucks!
A Du Bocq “Sump” Brew that neither impresses, nor distinguishes.
A hazy golden color beer that promises cloves and coriander, yet delivers a diuretic urinatianary PO box address instead.
A huge disappointment!!!!!!. No more description is required.
A very poor beer - save your money and spend it on something worthwhile, like Tic-Tacs.

10-26-2002 21:46:57 | More by TheLongBeachBum
tigerpaws

South Carolina

2.58/5  rDev -35.2%

This brew just didn't impress me. Poured with almost no head and was very light looking almost clear. It had more of a smell than aroma IMO sort of skunky. And it didn't remind me of any pale i had ever tried, but the worst thing about the beer was the awful after taste. The first belgian that I have tried that I won't drink again.........CHEERS

10-08-2002 13:32:43 | More by tigerpaws
Geert

Netherlands

2.68/5  rDev -32.7%

A: Clear golden beer, with a nice white head.
S: Very aromatic, but not necessarily in a good way. It is somewhat soapy, perhaps because of the (over) use of cardamom?
T: Spices come through, again a little soapy. Not much else going on, a little sweet.
M: highly carbonated, a little "contracting".
O: Highly spiced, not my cup of tea, allthough I wouldn't throw it out.

11-23-2013 21:13:24 | More by Geert
jcalabre

2.73/5  rDev -31.4%

Originally sampled on Cinco del Mayo 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
I guess that I would have liked this better on a hot summer day. It has almost a champagne-like fizziness that I just didn't like. I wasn't too impressed. I must say, however, that I couldn't detect the 7.5% ABV

08-08-2003 02:32:27 | More by jcalabre
GreenCard

Oregon

2.8/5  rDev -29.6%

Appearance: light gold, great clarity, one finger of foam which flattens out to a thin even layer

Aroma: light honeyish scent w/ a dusting of clovey phenolic, a hint of grain and yeast

Flavor: light malt sweetness with a fair amount of dusty grain, a hint of herbal hop flavor, finishes dryish with a lightly spicey aftertaste

Mouthfeel: medium-light body, lots of prickly carbonation (burp!)

Overall Impression: Definitely one of the better "mass-produced" abbey ales. It is actually botte conditioned (as opposed to Grimbergen or Leffe). A bit too gassy though. Not much complexity. Corsendonk Pater is definitely better.

04-28-2004 19:02:55 | More by GreenCard
teromous

2.85/5  rDev -28.4%

A: Slightly hazy light straw colored body that is packed with carbonation bubbles. The head is a thick and fluffy white cloud. Some lacing.

S: I notice a slight metallic scent right off the bat, then some fruity pair-like scent, and a little bit of alcohol coming through.

T: It's a bit flat on flavor. There's some mild bitterness, a bit earthy, some cardboard, a tiny bit of spice, and the flavor is not that fresh tasting.

M: The mouthfeel is light and bubbly, fades quickly in the mouth, and leaves a mild dryness in the mouth. It is very drinkable.

O: Overall it wasn't bad, but it wasn't exceptionally good either. I don't know how fresh this beer is, but it isn't the best tasting tripel. It has a very nice presence in the mouth, but is extremely lacking in flavor and the scent leaves much to be desired.

03-02-2013 03:43:55 | More by teromous
aquatonex

2.85/5  rDev -28.4%

I would have rated it higher if I had liked it, but I'll try and put that aside to rate the quality...

Pours golden-greenish with a copious head that lingered for a fair amount of time. Very frothy and composed. Fairly complex smell with a lot of smokiness, alcohol, and a myriad of noncitrus fruits. Taste matched the smell but was less invasive. Not a well balanced ale, a bit too much smoky flavor which caused this very acrid taste. It made me cringe a little every time I drank. But, if you like smoky then it's great. Mouthfeel was very good. It needed more balance between flavors to really enjoy the taste.

08-28-2004 05:03:05 | More by aquatonex
FrognutUnl

2.88/5  rDev -27.6%

Pours a hazy golden color with a thick white 2 finger head that hangs on quite a while leaving a small amount of lacing in its wake. I am not a terrible fan of the floating yeast, though I know it won't kill me. The nose is crisp and tart with notes of apples and yeasty bread. In taste, it is also tart and crisp with mild malty sweetness, notes of apple and maybe a small bit of clove. Mouthfeel is a bit thin compared to others I have had in this style, low-medium bodied.

I am a little disappointed, as their brown is pretty damned good and this was just so so. That being said, I would probably buy it again if the price were right.

08-20-2008 00:56:18 | More by FrognutUnl
bark

Sweden

2.88/5  rDev -27.6%

The colour is deep yellow with a little hint of amber, the liquid is clear and the compact foam is white, compact and slowly dissolving.

The smell is sweet sour with the notorious scent of fermented wheat. There are some traces of sour apples and buns.

The carbon dioxide is quite powerful with very small bubbles.

The taste is sourish, something typical for Belgian wheat beers. Except for the somewhat acid tones, there is a taste of sour apples and Jerusalem artichokes. The first taste is followed by a small sweetness that slowly is replaced by a growing, full-bodied bitterness. The aftertaste got some notes of sweet buns and raw potatoes.

A nice example of the Belgian abbey ale style. Although the alcohol is pretty strong, 7.5% abv, it was not noticeable in either smell or taste.

04-28-2004 20:29:29 | More by bark
Tilley4

Tennessee

2.95/5  rDev -25.9%

I think I should have let this sit for a while. I may have popped this one too early.

Very cloudy golden color with one of the most persistent heads that I've ever seen. Very large, fluffy head to this one.

Smells a bit skunky. Not a very pleasant aroma, but the date says it is good til 09. Hmm..

Nice crisp bite to this one. Very characteristic of a tripel. Spicy in the beginning with a nice bite at the finish and a bit of a warming alcohol kick at the end.

Pretty good tripel.

12-07-2007 16:00:22 | More by Tilley4
Redrio7

08-08-2014 20:49:06 | More by Redrio7
Coren

10-17-2013 14:00:37 | More by Coren
Brent

Kentucky

Lacking in depth for a tripel. A bit on the dry-side, with some pear-like fruit flavors and sourish malt with a bit of clove phenols. Lacked the layers of fruityness or spice that I look for in a tripel. Pleasant and drinkable, but not something that I would search out in the future.

10-21-2003 04:13:36 | More by Brent
RudyD

05-25-2012 19:28:04 | More by RudyD
leoliveri

Spain

03-30-2013 18:12:04 | More by leoliveri
ALESwhatCURESya

Wisconsin

very cloudy with a good amount of sediment. There was not much of a head, but decent lacing. Hints of honey and malt in the aroma. There is a burnt sugar taste that turns dry in the aftertaste. This beer is lacking a few things. There is very little carbonation and the taste isn't well balanced. I just had a Karmeliet Tripel last night and this one is definately not in the same league, but it is not a terrible brew.

02-16-2004 00:15:21 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
ZeppelinNL

Netherlands

A nice tasting beer, but a bit too bitter for my taste.

08-18-2014 17:43:06 | More by ZeppelinNL
adamette

Served on tap at Der Braumeister in Cleveland, Ohio.

A Golden yellow body, very little or no head by the time that I had it delivered to my table by the waitress.

S Not much, mild hops.

T Moderately hoppy, actually a little bit forgettable.

M Thin to moderate mouthfeel.

D Fair due to forgettable taste.

Notes: Not my favorite tripel or my favorite Belgian. Not a terrible beer but, as I have written, forgettable.

09-17-2008 03:53:19 | More by adamette
UnionMade

3.08/5  rDev -22.6%

Served in a Cochonne goblet at Eli Cannon's in Middletown, CT. Appearance is a light hazy golden amber, with a rather short head, for a belgian beer. I was watching her pour it, and it was very foamy, but the head died down almost immediately. Aroma is definitely malty, with that belgian sweetness. Smells mildly sour, with plenty of fruity goodness and a bit of caramel. Taste is very nice, although not the best belgian I've had by a long shot. Lots of candi sugar, which has an almost saccharine sweetness in this particular beer, faint metallic quality, light clove, fig, and caramel flavors. Nice and complex. Carbonation is mild, with a slightly sour finish. Body is medium to light. This is one of the most ubiquitous belgians in my area, bottle wise. I was meaning to try it when i was first discovering beer, and i wish i had. I've tried so many other belgian abbey style ales that this one just didn't really impress me. Something about it was just a little off. Good, but with a sort of unrefined quality...or something. I can't explain it, but it certainly wasn't as good as some other tripels.

07-25-2003 21:52:05 | More by UnionMade
rarbring

Sweden

3.1/5  rDev -22.1%

The beer is light amber, has noticeable flakes, small bubbles, an off-white high head, some lacing and good curtains.

Earthy aromas, stable, dirt, lemon peel. Rather musky and dusty.

The taste is a mixture of acid old vinegar, lemon peel, then some old cheese and dirt. A moldy character.

High carbonation, small intensive bubbles, a dry finish.

This was a 2007 bottle, had already peaked. Must try a younger, better stored one.

09-05-2011 19:30:34 | More by rarbring