Follow our progress ...

Style: Tripel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2001

Reviews: 481 | Ratings: 877
4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

Corsendonk Agnus Tripel has a very thick, spongy, white head and a clear, bubbly, yellow-golden appearance with some lacing left behind. In the bottle one can see a tremendous amount of thick, grey-brown solids floating about, but upon pouring, and even swishing the bottle, nothing shows in the glass. It must have dissolved into the beer. The aroma is of sweet, pale malt and maybe some lemon. Taste is of lightly-toasted pale malt, sugar, coriander, white bread, water, and just a touch of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium, and Corsendonk Agnus Tripel finishes dry and refreshing. This is a very easy-going beer, and I rate it excellent.

RJT

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A: Pours a clear straw-gold with a nice white head.

S: Floral with some fruit (pears, apricots) .
T: Lightly sweet with peppery notes up front. More floral than fruit flavors following that up. Finishes crisp and light.
M: Medium bodied beer with nice crisp carbonation that gives it a spicy effervescence.
O: A nice, floral, drinkable belgian. Not a lot of complexity, but a solid, easy-drinking beer.

3.97/5  rDev +0.5%

Very tasty tripel. Enjoyed at 55 degrees and it was perfect for the texture. Aroma is somewhat soapy which is a bit unbecoming. The flavor is a malty and just enough Belgian yeast character to make you notice. I like it and would give it an overall award of 4 out of 5.

3.11/5  rDev -21.3%

Opens with a loud pop, definitely some carbonation in this one. Pours clear, light golden with a head of mixed foam and larger bubbles. Aroma is light yeast notes and a hint of green pepper (kinda strange). In the mouth, there's lightly toasted malt, mild sweetness and fruitiness, and a noticeable alcohol flavor. Highly carbonated, with minimal linger. Something of a boring Tripel. Easy to drink, but pretty low on flavor or aroma.

Semi hazy golden glow with a massive bright white head. Sticky and active. Soft earthy nose. Very subtle with some yeastiness.

Strangely tastes of ginger. Thankfully I'm having this beer with sushi. Subtle sweetness lightly floral dried fruit flavors of apple and pear. Finishes spicy and dry with a ginger snap. I like it but it begs to be paired wig sushi.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

A- Hazy with a quickly disappointing head, reddish in color. Has little "Floaties" which made me quite excited, since I imagine they have to add a complex flavor.

S- Sweet and fruity, reminiscent of dates, or maybe toffee.

T- Complex, fruity, with a mild spice element. Has some sweetness, but restrained.

M- Full, a bit heavy, and decently carbonated.

O- Probably a good one to have on hand, if your a fan of Belgians. I, personally, will likely get this beer again. I got a four pack and they recommended aging it, so I'll save the other bottles to see if they really do get more complex as they age.

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured into a chalice. Pours golden with a quickly dissipating white head. Plenty of bubbles can be seen rising from the bottom and side of the glass upon the initial pour. There are aromas of bready malt and yeast. I also pick up some hops in the smell. The malt profile is very forward in this beer. It is bready and sweet. The hops provide some balance on the back end. There's a touch of spiciness as well. The sweetness really opens up as it warms. The body is light to medium with solid carbonation. The finish is dry and smooth. The drinkability is high for this sipper. This is a very good beer.

3.18/5  rDev -19.5%

Sample best-by date is this month.

Aroma- Very clean pilsner malt. Faint herbal, spicy, and vegetal hop nose. No alcohol. Aroma is very faded and flat, though not overtly oxidized.

Appearance - Deep gold with thin white head. Fades fast and leaves no lace.

Taste- Lush fruit- pear. peach ginger. white tea. Malty -honey flavor. Lively spice with a hint of perfumey alcohol on the back end. Deeply malty but spicey yeast and chalky dry finish keep the word "sweet" out of the picture entirey. Lingering mineral aftertaste. With a slight hop bitterness. Unintense but pronounced goldings flavor throughout.

MF- Stingy carbonation, stiff but medium-light body.A little alcoholic heat.

Reminds me of a more substantial Achel. Very typical Tripel. No Suprises here.

I have tasted many Belgian beers and this is by far my favourite.
Tastes much better in the right glass too.
I like the taste, the feel and the strength.
I have not managed to buy Corsendonk Agnus as yet in the UK but make sure that I always stock up when I am anywhere near Belgium. I would welcome an English supplier.

3.72/5  rDev -5.8%

A- one of the nastiest looking beers. Throw up in a glass...chunks and all that is the appearance. 1 finger head which is small for Belgian beers

S- slight floral but mostly spicy yeast prevails on the nose

T- very smooth and easy to drink. Ok flavors but nothing top tier for a Belgian tripel. Very yeasty and spice is noticed. Minimal hop bitterness.

M - nice and warm and buttery

O- this was an ok beer but for a Belgian tripel I expect ally more and this one certainly wasn't quite up to par with the other. Tripels

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%

[Best served in a Trappist glass]

The pour was a light golden amber with an average sized (1-2 finger) white creamy head that lasted throughout and produced excellent sheeting of lace which totally engulfed the whole glass.

The aroma was of a grain malt, perfume hops and a soapy yeast with notes of citrus (lemon), honey and coriander.

The taste was lightly sweet with a malty wheat feel and a hint of honey from the beginning with the finish being a little bitter and a tad sour with a strong yeast presence and a light spicy hop ending. The flavor lasted only a short while with the mild hoppy spice taste and a slight alcohol warming sensation left behind.

Mouthfeel was between light and medium in body with a dry creamy texture and a very lively carbonation.

Overall a Tripel that is not overpowered by any one flavor, on the contrary the blending of flavors in this brew is exquisitely done...

4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

Served in a snifter glass.

Appearance: A darker gold, not too many bubbles; white head is thick coming off just over two fingers length on the initial pour.

Smell: Light yeast, coming off very rich.

Taste: A lot going on here, you need to breathe a little to rightfully appreciate the taste of oak, and yeast.

Mouth: Definitely medium to heavy, after taste incredibly stuck to you.

Overall: Great beer, had it a few years back on tap picked up a glass to let you know what you're missing. Might be a little sweet but not in the soda type of way. Complex but smooth. Salud!

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

I got a bottle of Corsendonk's Agnus Tripel Ale that my brother brought back from his trip down south. Well it looks like I have made it to my 400th review so I thought I should open something up that I have been really wanting to try for a while now, so lets celebrate my 400th review and see how this beer goes. it had a best before date September 22nd 2014 Lot#7661. Poured from 75cl brown corked and caged bottle into a tulip, never seen a cage like this before.

A- The bottle looks pretty nice, it looks to be screen printed and has a nicely done religious scene in the middle, it looks pretty classic and traditional looking. It poured a pretty clear pale golden yellow color that took on a brighter gold color when held to the light and it had four fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left some spotty lacing. This is a good looking Tripel, no doubt about it.

S- The aroma is very true to style and starts off with some fruity aromas like some orange and lemon peel along with some apples and pears. Next comes some very sweet bready and grainy malts followed by some candied sugar. After that I get some spicy and earthy Belgian yeast that impart those typical spicy yeast aromas with a little more earthiness then you normally get. Towards the end I get some floral and slightly soapy aromas that may have been from some hops and some sour apple like aromas at the end. This beer had a good aroma that was pretty complex, I liked it.

T- The taste seems to follow the aroma nicely, all the aromas that I picked up seemed to make their way to the flavor of this beer, at the start I got some nice fruitiness with some orange and lemon rind showing up along with some apples, pears, and sour apples. I also got some nice bready and grainy malts that still had a high amount of sweetness but didn't seems as sweet as the aroma and the sweetness had a candied sugar like flavor to it. Towards the end I get some some of the spicy Belgian yeast flavors that show up just enough and don't over power any of the other flavors, there was also a really slight amount of alcohol along with a lighter amount of bitterness with a sweet, bready and slightly fruity aftertaste. This was a good tasting Tripel that was almost as complex as the aroma, I Like it, it tastes pretty close to how I feel a traditional Belgian Tripel should taste.

M- Pretty damn smooth, pretty crisp, fairly dry, medium bodied with a higher amount of fizzy carbonation. The mouthfeel is good, crisp, dry, light and fizzy, just what I expect from the style.

Overall I really liked this beer and I thought that this was a good and above average example of an authentic Belgian Tripel, it had all the key things that I look for in a good example of this style. This beer had great drinkability, it went down really smooth, the alcohol hardly showed up in the flavor, and it had more then enough good flavors to hold my attention, this is going down quicker then I thought, one of the most drinkable Tripel's I have had, I don't think I would have a problem drinking the whole bottle by myself. What I liked most about this beer was everything, all aspects of this beer came out just the way they should and there was nothing off about this beer, a very well rounded beer. What I liked least about this beer is the fact that I have never seen it around here, we get a good variety of Belgian imports in this part of Michigan and I am surprised that I don't see this on the shelf next to the other awesome Belgian beers, what's the deal. I would for sure buy this beer again when looking for a good Tripel, it provided just what I want form this style, but since I can't find it around here, who knows when I will be able to try this beer again, I know if I did see it again I wouldn't buy just one bottle. I highly recommend giving this beer a try, if you want to know what an authentic Belgian Tripel tastes like try this beer and you should get a good idea on what this style is all about. This beer made for a pretty good first impression from Corsendonk, they did a great job with this beer and you can be sure that I will try more of their beers if given a chance, this beer is a straight up good Tripel, no doubt about it. I am very happy to be drinking this beer on my 400th review, it made for a great celebratory beer and a fun beer to review. With more great beers like this just waiting for me to try them, I can't wait to see what the next 400 new beers has in store for me.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

330ml bottle served in a Chimay chalice.

A: Pours a pale cloudy yellow color. A huge bubbled white head, triple style. Never disappears leaving many lacings left

S: Very spicy smell. Really great: Honey, vanilla, coriander, orange zest, caramel malts, apple, Belgian yeasts, bready malts

T: Pretty much like the nose. Spicy. Honey, vanilla, bit citrus orange zest, apples. Caramel and bready malts, Belgian yeasts. I overall a mild sweet upfront and a bit citrus and bitter aftertaste. Very smooth triple

M: Heavy body and medium to high carbonation

O: Great Belgian Triple. Smooth and drinkable

3.76/5  rDev -4.8%

A: Light, golden colored beer with about a finger's worth of white head that is fed by an incredible amount of carbonation forming on all sides of the glass. As a result, the retention is very long.

S: Earthy yeast is what I get most of, with also some sweet apple and also a rather unpleasant metallic edge. Not a bad smelling brew, but that strange metallic note is throwing me off.

T: None of the metallic taste here. Sweet notes hit first, then fade into a dark-fruit, raisin taste, and the finish is rather grainy and yeasty, and brings a slight bitterness which is a welcome respite from the (almost) over-sweetness of the initial pop of flavor.

M: Moderately light body, with a lot of carbonation.

O: Not what I think of when I think of a tripel. The flavor is light and crisp, and relatively straightforward. A nice change if you're looking for a tripel that's a little different.

3.83/5  rDev -3%

750ml in a giftset consisting of two Corsendonk glasses, Agnus, and Pater. Cork "Lot: 2699". Bottle dated 10/5/12. Served just short of the low range (45) and allowed to warm.

Huge rocky white head, an interesting array of bubble sizes. Globs of lacing, good retention. Opaque golden body.

Estery aroma, nose finishes sweet.

Taste is not as strong as expected from the aroma. Good malt/hop balance. Sweet up front but gives way about haflway through, light peppery. Not much lingering flavor.

Mouthfeel is light and no feeling of the alcohol. Good for a tripel but not noteworthy. More dry than sweet.

Overall a super-easy drinking tripel on the lighter side of things. I wish it came in at a lower price-point.

4.71/5  rDev +19.2%

This beer completes me. I LOVE this beer. The appearance is incredible. Golden and cloudy with yeast still floating in the beer. The head is thick, white, lasts a long time and leaves lacing at each level you drink. The aroma is sweet, sugar and yeast. The flavor is sublime with a hi of fruitiness that smoothly transitions into a slight bitter bite that is just enough to cleanse the pallet before your next drink. This also leads to it being an easy drinking beer and one that is strong enough at 7.5 alc to make its presence known but doesn't sneak up on you. I honestly think this may be my absolute favorite beer.

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle was poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: The beer poured a one finger head that is still there. A golden straw yello with some haze to it and plenty of carbonation coming up through the center of the glass. It's so freaking alive, it's scsry delicious.

Smell: apples, pears, vanilla, bready malts, belgian candy, grapes

Taste: All of the above blended well together. Alcohol is a little noticeable and there is some spiciness to the finish also.

Mouthfeel: high carbonation, light to medium bodied, a little chewy, crisp, dry, but very delicious and easy to drink. The carbonation is the only downfall to the beer. Halfway through and the bubbles are insane.

Overall: I have had this beer plenty of times before and many more in the future. A very nice tripel indeed and happy I was able to score a few of these in the past month.

4.07/5  rDev +3%

A rocky white head erupts from the hazy, golden body and is very slow to eventually give way to a sticky, yet scattered white lacing.

Aromas of zesty lemon peel, yeast, grass, touches of spice, and other faint citrus fruits, some bordering on sour apple all are present. The aroma is really packed with a number of features.

The flavor is similar and perhaps more focused on the sweet fruit with secondary hints of spice and yeast. The yeast really shows up as it warms with faint notes of grass as well.

Carbonation is massive and perhaps a bit aggressive with a nice, crisp light to medium body.

Great traditional tripel character offered in this tasty brew with tons to offer the senses

3.83/5  rDev -3%

Poured into a tulip glass this brew has a clean crisp yellow wheat color with a full 2 finger white head. The carbonation was very active but once settled the brew was quite clear. The aroma was quite sweet with hints of plum, banana, and some alcohol as well. The taste was dry and sweet. There is banana, grapes, and very light malt notes. Alcohol is present in the dry finish. The carbonation makes the flavors pop and this brew is quite refreshing.

4.03/5  rDev +2%

A 330ml bottle with a BB of Nov 2011, so it's a few months out of date. Picked up from a supermarket during a trip to Belgium in September 2010.

Poured into a Duvel tulip. A bright, yellow-golden hue with a slight yeast haze and good carbonation. Produces a large head of brilliant white foam that lasts for a few minutes before collapsing to a surface layer. Aroma of sweet, fruity malt with hints of sugar, apples and aromatic hops. Faint citrus notes, particularly lemon. Possesses a clean, spicy quality.

Tastes of sweet, light malt with a dry, aromatic character. Notes of candy sugar, fruity yeast, subtle citrus and apple. A clean, spicy finish, with a hint of alcohol. Mouthfeel is light, smooth and tingly, with good body. Dry and astringent, with a mild spiciness on the tongue. Aftertaste of sweet, fruity malt and dry yeast.

Impressive - a quality brew. It's light, yet full-bodied and dry. Good hop aroma, despite the age of the bottle. Slightly sweet, but not cloying. A tasty tripel that's well worth your time.

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from the bottle into an official Corsendonk tulip glass.

A very VERY soapy quality head and somewhat bright white in color, sits on a simple slightly opaque lemon and gold body. Real nice looking small carbonation rising from the glass. head has some staying power while drinking, and clumps on occasion while consuming.

Nose has some faint malt, fresh grain and a nice sense of flour. Not much esle but pretty solid.

An intersting palate composing itself as an almost "crisp" tripel. Creamy texture gives way to a real nice malt, sweetness comes in on the mid palate, with a mild honey/sugar. Playfully carbonated but not taking away any of the beers flavor. Some slight gas sensations. As beer warms, palate finishes with some soft peach like fruit and butter.

Overall a great tasting tripel.

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

a: bright golden straw colored body, four fingers of the thickest, creamiest head. good lacing and retention.

s: spicy yeast, light fruits, litle earthy, floral.

t: sweet up front with earthtones giving way to a bouquet of floral hops on the finish.

m: medium to thin body, great carbonation, light crisp and airy. dry finish.

o: i really like this beer, could be one of my favorite tripels.

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

A: Pours a slightly hazy straw yellow with four fingers of white head that recedes into a dense cap with good lacing.

S: Only slight Belgian spice notes at first followed by light fruit aromas such as pears and white grapes. There are some floral citrus notes in there as well along with a sweet, biscuity aroma on the finish.

T: Again, light spices up front followed by some faint candy sugar notes. Light fruit flavors are present again as well, but they're fairly subtle. Clean bread and yeast flavors bring up the finish.

M: Medium-light body with high carbonation, this beer is highly attenuated, giving it a nice, dry, clean, light feel.

O: Overall, a good tripel. It's a little bland on the flavor with the yeast dominating a bit too much. Still, it smells good and has a great feel to it.

Poured into a chalice.

Pours a nice hazy golden colored brew that has a dense, clumpy creamy white head.

Smells of candied malt sweets, spices, mild honey and some banana - also some bready yeasts.

Tastes yeasty, bready malts, candy-like malt sweetness with some peppery spiceyness that closes things out nicely.

Medium mouth with good carbonation. Crisp and refreshing.

A little bit lighter in terms of flavor that what I had expected. A very good take on the style, but a bit lacking in overall punch. Well worthy of another...and another though - highly drinkable triple that is very enjoyable.

Corsendonk Agnus / Abbey Pale Ale from Brouwerij Corsendonk