Corsendonk Agnus / Abbey Pale Ale - Brouwerij Corsendonk

Corsendonk Agnus / Abbey Pale AleCorsendonk Agnus / Abbey Pale Ale

Brouwerij Corsendonk visit their website

Tripel |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corsendonk Agnus / Abbey Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.68/5  rDev +17.6%

POP! went the cork upon opening this beer. There is something just so damn cool about beers that have corks. I have yet to drink a beer with a cork in it that I did not like. Beers with corks instead of bottle caps just kick ass plain and simple. Anyways, this is the first Belgian beer I ever tried and it was introduced to me by a good friend so my review may be a bit biased. Poured into my snifter. This beer is a nice cloudy golden color with copperish/orange highlights, like a good pale ale should be! Nice, white foamy head is about 2/3 inch thick when poured before settling to a nice surface coating with excellent lace. Aroma wise there is definitely some sweet malt and floral hoppiness along with some grapefruit, citrus like smells. As far as I am concerned the taste of this beer is pure perfection as far as Belgian pale ales are concerned. Big, bold sweet, candied malt flavors with a bit of clove, spice and orange are present and the taste is rounded out with some citrus, floral, hop flavor. Very good balance between the sweet malt the the citrusy bitterness. The aftertaste is a bit dry and bitter (hence the hops). Just the right amount of hop bitterness. Has a very crisp, yet frothy full bodied mouthfeel with moderate to heavy carbonation. I find this beer to be quite drinkable as well. The perfect Belgian pale ale for me and the best I have yet to drink. I challenge someone to find another Belgian tripel and tell me that it is better than this one! If so I will try it and be my own judge!

Eric

neenerzig, May 17, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

Beer foaming! Beer foaming! Uh oh! Running to sink! Spilling beer! Oh god, precious beer!

Alright, alright. Deep breaths. Everything's going to be ok....

Yes, <ahem> anyways...

This beer pours a cloudy, light yellow color. I like it to call it Hefeweizen yellow. Not too much head in mine. It dropped all over the floor and sink I suppose. Not altogether unappealing.

The smell, though, the smell...ahhh....sweet and yeasty. Wheaty too. Can effervescence be a smell? cause if it can, then this beer's got it. There's also a slight sourness, like a tiny presence of lemons. Extremely invitigng. I don't even want to drink it anymore, just smell it all night long, baby. Ok, maybe that's a lie. I confess. I do want to drink it.

I do drink it. And it's spritzy. very carbonated. And tangy. A little spicy, as any good wit should be, with a mild nutmeggy, cinnamony flavor. Very refreshing, and a great summertime beer. Much more full-bodied than Hoegaarden, which will you give you points with me everytime. I could drink a couple mroe of these and be pretty damn happy.

moderndrunkard, May 13, 2006
3.68/5  rDev -7.5%

This pours a golden yellow with a giant white foamy head, there's alot of carbonation in this beer. The smell has a candy sugar aroma along with some malt sweetness. The taste is sweet with some malt and floral flavors. This is very crisp with some hop bitterness. The m/f is light with all the flavors being well balanced. This is a good beer worth trying again,not the best Belgian, but a good beer.

jmz62565, May 10, 2006
3.68/5  rDev -7.5%

I had this beer in a 75 cl bottle with a small necklabel with minimal information on it. It said that this was a blond beer with 7,5% alcohol in it, so that sound like a tripel, nice!
It pours a yelow murky beer with a very stable head and a constant stream of carbonation.
The smell was herbal with some coriander or other spicy ingredients. Also some maltiness and únfermented' beer notes, somewhat like mash (wort).
Taste was dry and malty, a little mash or hull taste, not very nice, slightly acidic and fruity. Again the taste of honey. I get strong associations of honey and to a lesser extend vanilla, starting to bore me after a couple of sips. This beer is absolutely not bitter, which would have been great in combination with the typical honey taste and dryness of the beer. How much I would like to give a good review, this beer was a little out of balance and too one-dimensional for me.

Absumaster, May 06, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -8.8%

Blurry, heavily sedimented straw yellow. Lemongrass, pepper, and straw in the nose. Smooth body is cut off by the peppery spiciness. Delicious lemons and hops for an interesting body, effervescent and sparkling. Slightly bitter. Not too complex but not boring either. Pretty darn drinkable. Above average.

DaPeculierDane, Apr 17, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

750 ml cork and caged bottle with a best before date of 5/27/07. pours a hazy golden, slightly amber, yellow. Decent 2 finger head, OK longevity and OK lace. Good honey and malt aromas mixed with a bit of earthy yeastyness. Some citrus aromas as well. Nice earthy yeast flavors mixed with honey, citrus and a noticeable hop flavor. Dry, smooth and very easy drinking. Not overly complex, which makes it more enjoyable. A tasty and well made beer.

sabrills70, Apr 16, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +5%

12 oz bottle. Hazy yellowish-copper body with active carbonation and a big pillowy white head plus nice tracings. The aroma is distinctly spicy and floral, showing corriander and lemon. Smells like a hoppier Witbier. Nice. The flavors are crisp, spicy, a touch yeasty, with a firm yet moderate bitterness on the finish that increases with intensity mid-glass. Despite the intense carbonation this beer is mostly gentle on the palate, and goes down oh so easy. Hey you know something, this is a damn solid beer.

VoodooBrew, Apr 06, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

Cloudy gold with big cottony head. Head lasts.
Smells like banana and lemon.Faint spice.
Good malty, banana/lemon flavor...slight hop bitter..slight alcohol. Clovey, but not overpowering on spice. Nice doughy yeast finish.
Medium mouthfeel with high carbonation.
Drinkable for sure. A very good tripel. Let this one warm a bit to get the full aroma and complex balanced flavor.

Hautacam, Apr 03, 2006
3.78/5  rDev -5%

Poured a slightly hazy light golden color with a thick white head. Smells of mild spices with a lemon/citrus background. Taste is sweet with a light malty undertone that showcases the citrus and spices which mixes well through the carbonation. Alcohol is completely undetectable. Very lively on the tongue with a clean medium mouthfeel. This has great drinkability, and was a great start to an entire new style of beer to me.

bkett01, Mar 19, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

Bottle: Poured a hazy yellow ale with a super huge white foamy head with great retention. Aroma of sweet fruit with some very perfumy hops and a distinctive yeast presence. Taste is a nice mix of sweet malt with a floral and sweet qualities to it, subtle spices presence with some interesting yeast signature with a somewhat dry finish. Body is a bit lighter then expected. Very nice example of the style.

Phyl21ca, Mar 10, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a cloudy golden color with a massive bright white head that doesn’t leave that much lacing. Smells of citrus, cloves and other fruit I can’t put my finger on. A very nice taste that consists of bubblegum, citrus with an ever so slight hoppy aftertaste. Very drinkable beer, no problem drinking 750ml in one sitting. All in all a very, very enjoyable beer from the pop of the cork to the last sip from my goblet.

ChillMike, Mar 05, 2006
3.3/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours a golden amber with a medium to thick head. Smells strong of hops, lemon, fruit in general actually and seemed very dusty. I don't know if that was just my bottle but I detected it. Taste is that of most decent pale ales I have had with some citrusy notes, nothing particularly special. Rather sour aftertaste as well. Mouthfeel is rather carbonated and acidic...not very pleasent. As decribed by my girlfriend, "tastes like I kinda acid refluxed in my mouth."

rustymoore, Feb 19, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

On-tap at the Happy Gnome: Pale yellow color with a small whitish capping of firm foam. Nice lacing rings the glass with lots of layers.

Aroma is ever changing as it goes from first served to last drop. Apple sauce hits first, then berries, then apricot, then yeasty, and some musty, peppery spices. But always fruity and fairly prominent.

Taste is unique and again, ever changing, it has no real tardemark flavor as it goes from one thing to the next. Which made this an intriguing beer to drink. Spices take the main stay with black licorice, cardamon, and white pepper. Some fruityness unsues as it warms carrying a bit of crystal sugars. Light mustyness with a squeeze of unfresh orange mush and a flimsy earth tones yeastyness adding a bit of soured milk to the underbelly in some of finish. Different sips brought new and different things to it nearly every ten minutes of sitting. Unique but bothersome too. I kinda like a beer to stay steady and true. This was a little unbalanced from time to time.

Feel is a steady medium body with an easy going smoothness to it. A bit understated with a tad uneven drying finish where yeast tended to give it weird metallic earthyness.

A very strange Tripel. Not your run of the mill, beefy-like hefe. Complexingly uneven.

tavernjef, Feb 19, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

Picked up a single at Steve's on University here in Madison.

Pours a translucent golden yellow under a fluffy white head with big chunks of brown yeast that are circulated like a fountain from the carbonation in my giant goblet. Nose is fragrant tropical fruit, Belgian yeast, and fruity hops. Taste is more tropical fruit, candi sugar, dry earthy yeast, and aromatic hops. Mouthfeel is light and bubbly. Lots of elements of a belgian strong pale ale with some tripel sweetness. Alcohol is well-hidden for 7.5%. A tasty little tripel overall.

Golden2wenty1, Feb 13, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +10.1%

A classic. I thank Corsendonk for opening up my palette to good beer in the mid-'90s. It was a revelation. For awhile it was my favorite beer, but in the next 16+ years I discovered a zillion other fantastic beers, so hopefully my review won't be prejudiced by nostalgia.

Pours an abundant head that mellows out pretty quick. Hazy golden color lets me know I'm in for another great Belgian tripel. Bubbles form military-straight marching lines up the side of the glass...not sure if it's the glass style (La Chouffe 25 cl tulip this time).

Smells clean, grassy, bready, with minor damp hay and slight funk.

Taste: Mellow citrus, apple and pear character, cool dry finish.

Lots of action in the mouth, active and aggressive but not unpleasant or overpowering. Goes down smoothly. Too quickly if you're not careful. Easy drinkability, not heavy, totally refreshing, crisp, full of body and personality. It may not be the most unique of the tripels, but still a high-quality beer.

Metalmonk, Feb 07, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

Best before 12/04 but cellared beyond that to see how it holds up. The bottle text says it will mature in the bottle, so let's see...

Appearance - clamped down tight with a banded tie-wire, disfiguring the cork. A nice 'pop' but no explosion of suds. Poured into an Ayinger session glass for its initial use, it forms up 2 fingers of white rocky foam, a few craters break the surface up. Some nice beading from below. Adding a few more ounces as the head recedes, I can see some significant sediment floating in the bottle, I'll try to minimize that getting into the glass. The initial fill is pretty clean, only a light haze breaking up the golden straw color.

Aroma - grainy, crackery, biscuity, that kind of grouping. I thought I caught a whiff of funk but I can't tell for sure. It all fades after a minute, leaving a rather plain odor behind.

Taste - lightly sweet grain, pale grain flavor, some Belgian sugar flavor in there, understated for sure, along with some mild hop bitterness. The swallow allows for more of the Belgian classic candi sugar flavor along with some light warming alcohol. Some mild lemony taste on the finish as well. Great mix of flavors, maybe the most complex tripel I've had. Requires a fresh palate however, I could see me missing much of this if I were 2 or 3 beers into my evening already. Perhaps a fresher sample would be bolder, I am willing to find out.

Mouthfeel - crisp and lively, a ton of carbonation here. This cork, the way it was battoned down, would probably have kept its bubbles 5 or 6 more years.

Drinkability - great drinkability for a 7.5 abv brew. Flavorful and refrreshing, it's what good beer is all about.

brewdlyhooked13, Feb 04, 2006
3.15/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Wel it time to start writing some reviews to catch up to some of ya big drinkers.

750ml bottle

Does it really matter what glass i pour it into? Beer glass, Hefe-weisen I think

I thought this was a pale ale but I see that it is a tripel. I am not very fond of tripels but will give due repects to the style. I have to compare it to Duval since that is the only few I have had to judge it by. I like this one much better due to the smoothness of the taste. I do taste some fruit in here like oranges. I shaved off some points for the cloudyness. I think a tripel should be clear.You can correct me if I am wrong.
If I wanted a tripel to represent my fridge I would go with this one.

mortarit, Jan 31, 2006

750 dated best before 7/20/06 poured into a tulip.

Slightly hazed gold with a tall head of white. Good retention and lots of layered lace.

Fruity nose with apples, pears, chalky yeast, and leafy hops. Some citrus and earth underneath the fruits. Very nice.

Tastes very tart. Lots of bitter green apples and sugar. Nice bitter hop flavors and some of that chalk from the yeast. Almost too tart but it backs off before going too far. Dry finish with just a hint of pepper in the after taste.

Medium mouth that has a lot of carbonation. Not bad overall, but nothing exciting either. Pretty easy to find and I could see myself enjoying this with pork medallions sauteed with green apples and mushrooms in a garlic demi-glace.

ypsifly, Jan 30, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

The beer poured a light gold with a white head. It was also resplendent with heavy sediment giving it a wonderful cloudieness. The aroma was of sharp malt. The taste was of malt with a little yeast, plenty of sweet fruit, and really no hops to speak of. The feel was heavy and creamy. It had a surprisingly dry finish with an alcohol burn. A very enjoyable tripel, and one I will have to sample again.

claytri, Jan 13, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a hazy pale gold that turns very cloudy after the yeast pour. Soap bubble head quickly fills the glass, and slowly settles to a very dense; creamy head that never quite vanishes. Tiny, streaming carbonation does not disturb abundant patches of stubborn lace left behind. Belgian phenolics and fruit aromas, like peach and citrus. Pilsener malt and faint noble hops become apperent near the bottom of the glass. The first taste is sweet, probably from candi sugar and pale malt. Becomes fruity, but never turns to ester. The aftertaste has a german hop spice, but the gentle yet tart yeast flavor stands out the most. The phenols compensate for the lack of hop bitterness and the result is a balanced mouthfeel that finishes with only a whisper of yeast. The crisp carbonation and soft body make it very easy to drink a few; which sucks because its expensive; but you get what you pay for.

PBRstreetgang, Jan 08, 2006
3.43/5  rDev -13.8%

Presentation: Poured from a european style 12 oz. bottle, with the sell-by date printed on the collar lable. Poured easily with a light honey-brown color leading to a 3-inch head. Lots of bubbles streaming up the middle area. Slowling the head eases somewhat, but leaves a nice cotton-looking lace with bubbles trapped underneath.

Smell: Hints of apple and citrus. To a certain extent the massive head stifled the smells a bit. Wasn't as aromatic as I was expecting.

Taste: a somewhat fruity taste, but still a bit drier that I would have thought. A slight hoppiness. Feels very good in the mouth, with just a slight smoothness.

stevecee2003, Dec 12, 2005
3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours out a cloudy gold, with a thick white head. Excellent head retention, and plent of lacing.

Aroma is a little malty, with a bit of fruit and some hoppy notes, plus just a hint of alcohol.

Taste is crisp and dry, with plenty of fruity esters, a bit of yeast, and some interesting hop character.

An interesting brew, simple yet still flavorful.

tom444, Nov 23, 2005
3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

750 ml poured into a snifter.

Fluffy white head. Golden champagne-like body. Decent head retention and lace. Smells of sweet malt/ Belgian candi sugar, orange, cloves and some floral notes-- nice complex aroma. Tastes of sweet malt and candi sugar, Belgian yeast and slight bitterness. Light body. Very crisp and slightly drying in the mouth. A fairly high level of carbonation.

This beer has a well-rounded flavor and good balance between the complex flavors and sweetness. However, the level of carbonation is a bit too high for me and seems to overwhelm the flavor. Apart from the carbonation, this is a farily subdued yet well balanced and complex tripel.

Shovelbum, Oct 28, 2005
3.55/5  rDev -10.8%

Very beautiful beer. Poors a PALE yellow, but it's a bit hazy because I got a little yeast in there, but I won't detract that from the score. Big head, and it produces wonderful lacing.

Smells like very pale malts. A distant sweetness overshadowed by a very powdery yeastiness. The aroma of fine hops also presents itself. A unique smell.

Very palatable taste. Yeast up front, with a malty sweetness to it. Almost like a candied sugar distinction to it. Still, at the very end, there's a little skunkiness to it. I don't know if it's been in the freezer of my distributor for too long, but it's a bit skunky. Oh well. I can tell it's a decent tasting beer otherwise, but if you want a beer like this that is less of a sulfruic mess, go with Fin Du Monde.

Litterbean, Oct 25, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -2%

The only downfall of this tripel is that I had to wipe the foam off my nose at every sip...even that was kinda fun.
Pale yellow in colour, three fingered head that never really quit with lively carbonation. Aroma is light of green apples and that of the wort.
The taste is primarily cloves, citrus (lime) and lightly of corn.to end.
The high 7.5 ABV is also well represented as an after thought and in the following after taste.

Shiloh, Oct 16, 2005