Corsendonk Agnus / Abbey Pale Ale - Brouwerij Corsendonk

Corsendonk Agnus / Abbey Pale AleCorsendonk Agnus / Abbey Pale Ale

Brouwerij Corsendonk visit their website

Tripel |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corsendonk Agnus / Abbey Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

Bottle: Poured a hazy yellow ale with a super huge white foamy head with great retention. Aroma of sweet fruit with some very perfumy hops and a distinctive yeast presence. Taste is a nice mix of sweet malt with a floral and sweet qualities to it, subtle spices presence with some interesting yeast signature with a somewhat dry finish. Body is a bit lighter then expected. Very nice example of the style.

4.45/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a cloudy golden color with a massive bright white head that doesn’t leave that much lacing. Smells of citrus, cloves and other fruit I can’t put my finger on. A very nice taste that consists of bubblegum, citrus with an ever so slight hoppy aftertaste. Very drinkable beer, no problem drinking 750ml in one sitting. All in all a very, very enjoyable beer from the pop of the cork to the last sip from my goblet.

3.3/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours a golden amber with a medium to thick head. Smells strong of hops, lemon, fruit in general actually and seemed very dusty. I don't know if that was just my bottle but I detected it. Taste is that of most decent pale ales I have had with some citrusy notes, nothing particularly special. Rather sour aftertaste as well. Mouthfeel is rather carbonated and acidic...not very pleasent. As decribed by my girlfriend, "tastes like I kinda acid refluxed in my mouth."

3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

On-tap at the Happy Gnome: Pale yellow color with a small whitish capping of firm foam. Nice lacing rings the glass with lots of layers.

Aroma is ever changing as it goes from first served to last drop. Apple sauce hits first, then berries, then apricot, then yeasty, and some musty, peppery spices. But always fruity and fairly prominent.

Taste is unique and again, ever changing, it has no real tardemark flavor as it goes from one thing to the next. Which made this an intriguing beer to drink. Spices take the main stay with black licorice, cardamon, and white pepper. Some fruityness unsues as it warms carrying a bit of crystal sugars. Light mustyness with a squeeze of unfresh orange mush and a flimsy earth tones yeastyness adding a bit of soured milk to the underbelly in some of finish. Different sips brought new and different things to it nearly every ten minutes of sitting. Unique but bothersome too. I kinda like a beer to stay steady and true. This was a little unbalanced from time to time.

Feel is a steady medium body with an easy going smoothness to it. A bit understated with a tad uneven drying finish where yeast tended to give it weird metallic earthyness.

A very strange Tripel. Not your run of the mill, beefy-like hefe. Complexingly uneven.

4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

Picked up a single at Steve's on University here in Madison.

Pours a translucent golden yellow under a fluffy white head with big chunks of brown yeast that are circulated like a fountain from the carbonation in my giant goblet. Nose is fragrant tropical fruit, Belgian yeast, and fruity hops. Taste is more tropical fruit, candi sugar, dry earthy yeast, and aromatic hops. Mouthfeel is light and bubbly. Lots of elements of a belgian strong pale ale with some tripel sweetness. Alcohol is well-hidden for 7.5%. A tasty little tripel overall.

4.38/5  rDev +10.1%

A classic. I thank Corsendonk for opening up my palette to good beer in the mid-'90s. It was a revelation. For awhile it was my favorite beer, but in the next 16+ years I discovered a zillion other fantastic beers, so hopefully my review won't be prejudiced by nostalgia.

Pours an abundant head that mellows out pretty quick. Hazy golden color lets me know I'm in for another great Belgian tripel. Bubbles form military-straight marching lines up the side of the glass...not sure if it's the glass style (La Chouffe 25 cl tulip this time).

Smells clean, grassy, bready, with minor damp hay and slight funk.

Taste: Mellow citrus, apple and pear character, cool dry finish.

Lots of action in the mouth, active and aggressive but not unpleasant or overpowering. Goes down smoothly. Too quickly if you're not careful. Easy drinkability, not heavy, totally refreshing, crisp, full of body and personality. It may not be the most unique of the tripels, but still a high-quality beer.

4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

Best before 12/04 but cellared beyond that to see how it holds up. The bottle text says it will mature in the bottle, so let's see...

Appearance - clamped down tight with a banded tie-wire, disfiguring the cork. A nice 'pop' but no explosion of suds. Poured into an Ayinger session glass for its initial use, it forms up 2 fingers of white rocky foam, a few craters break the surface up. Some nice beading from below. Adding a few more ounces as the head recedes, I can see some significant sediment floating in the bottle, I'll try to minimize that getting into the glass. The initial fill is pretty clean, only a light haze breaking up the golden straw color.

Aroma - grainy, crackery, biscuity, that kind of grouping. I thought I caught a whiff of funk but I can't tell for sure. It all fades after a minute, leaving a rather plain odor behind.

Taste - lightly sweet grain, pale grain flavor, some Belgian sugar flavor in there, understated for sure, along with some mild hop bitterness. The swallow allows for more of the Belgian classic candi sugar flavor along with some light warming alcohol. Some mild lemony taste on the finish as well. Great mix of flavors, maybe the most complex tripel I've had. Requires a fresh palate however, I could see me missing much of this if I were 2 or 3 beers into my evening already. Perhaps a fresher sample would be bolder, I am willing to find out.

Mouthfeel - crisp and lively, a ton of carbonation here. This cork, the way it was battoned down, would probably have kept its bubbles 5 or 6 more years.

Drinkability - great drinkability for a 7.5 abv brew. Flavorful and refrreshing, it's what good beer is all about.

3.15/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Wel it time to start writing some reviews to catch up to some of ya big drinkers.

750ml bottle

Does it really matter what glass i pour it into? Beer glass, Hefe-weisen I think

I thought this was a pale ale but I see that it is a tripel. I am not very fond of tripels but will give due repects to the style. I have to compare it to Duval since that is the only few I have had to judge it by. I like this one much better due to the smoothness of the taste. I do taste some fruit in here like oranges. I shaved off some points for the cloudyness. I think a tripel should be clear.You can correct me if I am wrong.
If I wanted a tripel to represent my fridge I would go with this one.

750 dated best before 7/20/06 poured into a tulip.

Slightly hazed gold with a tall head of white. Good retention and lots of layered lace.

Fruity nose with apples, pears, chalky yeast, and leafy hops. Some citrus and earth underneath the fruits. Very nice.

Tastes very tart. Lots of bitter green apples and sugar. Nice bitter hop flavors and some of that chalk from the yeast. Almost too tart but it backs off before going too far. Dry finish with just a hint of pepper in the after taste.

Medium mouth that has a lot of carbonation. Not bad overall, but nothing exciting either. Pretty easy to find and I could see myself enjoying this with pork medallions sauteed with green apples and mushrooms in a garlic demi-glace.

3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

The beer poured a light gold with a white head. It was also resplendent with heavy sediment giving it a wonderful cloudieness. The aroma was of sharp malt. The taste was of malt with a little yeast, plenty of sweet fruit, and really no hops to speak of. The feel was heavy and creamy. It had a surprisingly dry finish with an alcohol burn. A very enjoyable tripel, and one I will have to sample again.

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a hazy pale gold that turns very cloudy after the yeast pour. Soap bubble head quickly fills the glass, and slowly settles to a very dense; creamy head that never quite vanishes. Tiny, streaming carbonation does not disturb abundant patches of stubborn lace left behind. Belgian phenolics and fruit aromas, like peach and citrus. Pilsener malt and faint noble hops become apperent near the bottom of the glass. The first taste is sweet, probably from candi sugar and pale malt. Becomes fruity, but never turns to ester. The aftertaste has a german hop spice, but the gentle yet tart yeast flavor stands out the most. The phenols compensate for the lack of hop bitterness and the result is a balanced mouthfeel that finishes with only a whisper of yeast. The crisp carbonation and soft body make it very easy to drink a few; which sucks because its expensive; but you get what you pay for.

3.43/5  rDev -13.8%

Presentation: Poured from a european style 12 oz. bottle, with the sell-by date printed on the collar lable. Poured easily with a light honey-brown color leading to a 3-inch head. Lots of bubbles streaming up the middle area. Slowling the head eases somewhat, but leaves a nice cotton-looking lace with bubbles trapped underneath.

Smell: Hints of apple and citrus. To a certain extent the massive head stifled the smells a bit. Wasn't as aromatic as I was expecting.

Taste: a somewhat fruity taste, but still a bit drier that I would have thought. A slight hoppiness. Feels very good in the mouth, with just a slight smoothness.

3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours out a cloudy gold, with a thick white head. Excellent head retention, and plent of lacing.

Aroma is a little malty, with a bit of fruit and some hoppy notes, plus just a hint of alcohol.

Taste is crisp and dry, with plenty of fruity esters, a bit of yeast, and some interesting hop character.

An interesting brew, simple yet still flavorful.

3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

750 ml poured into a snifter.

Fluffy white head. Golden champagne-like body. Decent head retention and lace. Smells of sweet malt/ Belgian candi sugar, orange, cloves and some floral notes-- nice complex aroma. Tastes of sweet malt and candi sugar, Belgian yeast and slight bitterness. Light body. Very crisp and slightly drying in the mouth. A fairly high level of carbonation.

This beer has a well-rounded flavor and good balance between the complex flavors and sweetness. However, the level of carbonation is a bit too high for me and seems to overwhelm the flavor. Apart from the carbonation, this is a farily subdued yet well balanced and complex tripel.

3.55/5  rDev -10.8%

Very beautiful beer. Poors a PALE yellow, but it's a bit hazy because I got a little yeast in there, but I won't detract that from the score. Big head, and it produces wonderful lacing.

Smells like very pale malts. A distant sweetness overshadowed by a very powdery yeastiness. The aroma of fine hops also presents itself. A unique smell.

Very palatable taste. Yeast up front, with a malty sweetness to it. Almost like a candied sugar distinction to it. Still, at the very end, there's a little skunkiness to it. I don't know if it's been in the freezer of my distributor for too long, but it's a bit skunky. Oh well. I can tell it's a decent tasting beer otherwise, but if you want a beer like this that is less of a sulfruic mess, go with Fin Du Monde.

3.9/5  rDev -2%

The only downfall of this tripel is that I had to wipe the foam off my nose at every sip...even that was kinda fun.
Pale yellow in colour, three fingered head that never really quit with lively carbonation. Aroma is light of green apples and that of the wort.
The taste is primarily cloves, citrus (lime) and lightly of corn.to end.
The high 7.5 ABV is also well represented as an after thought and in the following after taste.

4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

750 ml bottle poured into a Chimay chalice.

This was the first Belgian I ever tried, quite some time ago. Finally got around to picking it up again to review it.

A - Pours a bright golden color. Quite translucent with a bubbly one finger head fed by tons of champagne like bubbles flying to the top.

S - A fruity apple like aroma with some banana in there. Definitely the smell of some Belgian yeast.

T - A fruity, sweet taste with some nice hops in there, def not a "hoppy" beer but enough to balance it out nicely. Taste some banana or apple fruitiness as I sip. Dry at the finish.

M - Very nice carbonation and a smooth feel on the tongue.

D - A very drinkable tripel. The weakest Tripel alcohol wise I've ever tasted so that could be it.

Notes: All in all a very good beer, def not my first choice for the style but good every now and then. I'd definitely pick this as a good tripel to introduce a shitty beer drinker to better beer as it's not overpowering in any sense but still good and flavorful.

3.9/5  rDev -2%

Corsendonk- Abbey Pale Ale

served up in a 12oz bottle.

Appearance- Cloudy yellowish orange with a HUGE white head that lasts.
Smell- Clove, pepper, banana, biscuits, & lemon.
Taste- sweet with hints of banana and clove. Some citrus seeps through.
Mouthfeel- sweet, almost tart.

Overall- A very good Abbey. Delicious. This would nice to drink all day during a baseball game or bbq!!

Pours a lively, cloudy pale yellow with a nice frothy white head that retains well enough. Aroma is very spicey (corriander, clove, anise, white pepper), phenolic, bready, candy sugar-like, fruity (orange and lemon) and some alcohol notes. The taste begins with some spiced notes of corriander, clove and white pepper, followed by a sweet candy sugar flavor, a fruity malt/yeast character of orange and citrus rind, and some slightly bitter floral hop notes and a lightly noticeable alcohol character. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with moderate carbonation, drinkability is good. Overally an enjoyable tripel.

4.22/5  rDev +6%

Presented as a 750ml bottle. The release of the cork was somewhat dissapointing with only a slight pop present. Poured a delightful golden color with attractive white puffy head. The smell was enjoyable with a nice fruity maltiness. Taste was incredible with a combination of malt, spices, fruit, and citrus. Finished very smooth with a complex maltiness. Very drinkable. Paired it with barbequed shrimp and scallops.

3.48/5  rDev -12.6%

750ml bottle. Dated best-before 6/2006.

Poured a very clear yellow with billowing carbonation and big head. A bit unnaturally transparent and light-colored for an abbey-style tripel. The nose is full of citrus and dry hops. Tastes sweet, pleasantly lemony with a short and slightly drying hop finish. A bit light for an abbey tripel, perhaps closer to a more carbonated strong pale Belgian ale.

Drinks very easily, but also very tame and shallow for an abbey-style tripel.

4.38/5  rDev +10.1%

Great Googley Moogley!
Where do I start? My friend and I first tried this at our first Peoria Beer Fest a number of years ago and we just stood and stared at our glasses. Since then it's been a New Years Tradition to split a bottle at midnight.

It pours to a golden brown color with a slight head but ample carbonation. Use a snifter or wine glass to trap the wonderful aroma.

We experimented with various temps and settled on one around 50 degrees F. So many different flavors as it passes the tongue.

Highly recommended in my book.

3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

After the Corsendonk Brown, I expected a tremendous beer out of this one, especially since I am a huge Trippel fan. The straw to yellow color is on target. Nice carbonation, white head and incredible retention and lacing. Aroms are subdued, but nice. Fresh fruits, honey, chardonay like, mildly tart, and perfumy alcohol woven around peppery spices. The taste was a slight let down. It becomes a little too chardonay like. Less malty sweetness than I expected and a lower body too. All of the tartness of lemons, grapefruit, white grapes, and pears that I like, but lacks a bit of round sweetness going into the body. Remains alcoholic and perhaps a little phenolic. I think in their attempt for greater alcohol, they lost body and smoothness. Still, a world class beer.

4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

The Agnus- which see to be a tripel- was the latest addition to the Bogota Airlift.

The appearance must definetly rank among one of the most amazing. the bottling itself is so attractive for the Corsendonk, with a clean, white logo and inscription on a brown bottle. the pour was just radiant, an amazing golden tone with a head that looked like bread- just would not stop growing, in an overwhelming way, and looking like a perfect combination because it had a certain glow.

The smell required me to dig my nose into the actual head. The stronest sensation was that of hops, a herby feel with a fresh, citrusy touch that seemed a bit weak in strength, but not in character.

The taste is very nice, and I understand the dilemma over pale ale vs. tripel. It has certainly all the foundings of a tripel- abundant fruits and spices- but the taste is considerably diluted into a softer feel. the strong bitter ending also suggests its pale ale properties. this is sort of a blend between duvel and karmeliet, with the body of the latter- and certainly sets in half-way in my level of pleasure.

This is most decidedly a good beer.

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

Appearance: It poured a cloudy pale yellow color with a thick creamy lasting head. The head retained most of it's original thickness for quite a few minutes. You can't see bubbles rising through the haze, but they surly must be there because a head doesn't normally stay this long without some help. It leaves some thick lace behind after drinking.

Aroma: Lots of fruit here. I get pears and oranges...some banana, but it isn't a significant part of the profile. There are lemons, limes, and a whole fruit basket in here to be smelled. It's pretty amazing how many aromas there are in here to pick out. I could list them all night.

Taste: The taste is good, but I was a little let down after all of the presentation in the aroma. It is really clean, and maybe this would be a good thing for "most" beer drinkers...but I like them rich. There is still a pretty assertive citrusy presence here, and it becomes more apparent as it warms up a bit. The mouthfeel is super light, and makes it go down like lemonade. It is really palatable

Opinion: I think that this is an excellent beer, and I would not "kick it out of the fridge". I think that the aroma was more intriguing than the flavor, but I am spoiled with Belgian Tripels. I would put this beer somewhere in my top 10 favorite Tripels, but I definitely like some others more.

Corsendonk Agnus / Abbey Pale Ale from Brouwerij Corsendonk