Corsendonk Agnus / Abbey Pale Ale - Brouwerij Corsendonk

Corsendonk Agnus / Abbey Pale AleCorsendonk Agnus / Abbey Pale Ale

Brouwerij Corsendonk visit their website

Tripel |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corsendonk Agnus / Abbey Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

750 ml bottle poured into a Chimay chalice.

This was the first Belgian I ever tried, quite some time ago. Finally got around to picking it up again to review it.

A - Pours a bright golden color. Quite translucent with a bubbly one finger head fed by tons of champagne like bubbles flying to the top.

S - A fruity apple like aroma with some banana in there. Definitely the smell of some Belgian yeast.

T - A fruity, sweet taste with some nice hops in there, def not a "hoppy" beer but enough to balance it out nicely. Taste some banana or apple fruitiness as I sip. Dry at the finish.

M - Very nice carbonation and a smooth feel on the tongue.

D - A very drinkable tripel. The weakest Tripel alcohol wise I've ever tasted so that could be it.

Notes: All in all a very good beer, def not my first choice for the style but good every now and then. I'd definitely pick this as a good tripel to introduce a shitty beer drinker to better beer as it's not overpowering in any sense but still good and flavorful.

EStreet20, Oct 14, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -2%

Corsendonk- Abbey Pale Ale

served up in a 12oz bottle.

Appearance- Cloudy yellowish orange with a HUGE white head that lasts.
Smell- Clove, pepper, banana, biscuits, & lemon.
Taste- sweet with hints of banana and clove. Some citrus seeps through.
Mouthfeel- sweet, almost tart.

Overall- A very good Abbey. Delicious. This would nice to drink all day during a baseball game or bbq!!

NJpadreFan, Oct 10, 2005

Pours a lively, cloudy pale yellow with a nice frothy white head that retains well enough. Aroma is very spicey (corriander, clove, anise, white pepper), phenolic, bready, candy sugar-like, fruity (orange and lemon) and some alcohol notes. The taste begins with some spiced notes of corriander, clove and white pepper, followed by a sweet candy sugar flavor, a fruity malt/yeast character of orange and citrus rind, and some slightly bitter floral hop notes and a lightly noticeable alcohol character. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with moderate carbonation, drinkability is good. Overally an enjoyable tripel.

silver0rlead, Sep 30, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +6%

Presented as a 750ml bottle. The release of the cork was somewhat dissapointing with only a slight pop present. Poured a delightful golden color with attractive white puffy head. The smell was enjoyable with a nice fruity maltiness. Taste was incredible with a combination of malt, spices, fruit, and citrus. Finished very smooth with a complex maltiness. Very drinkable. Paired it with barbequed shrimp and scallops.

tgbljb, Sep 08, 2005
3.48/5  rDev -12.6%

750ml bottle. Dated best-before 6/2006.

Poured a very clear yellow with billowing carbonation and big head. A bit unnaturally transparent and light-colored for an abbey-style tripel. The nose is full of citrus and dry hops. Tastes sweet, pleasantly lemony with a short and slightly drying hop finish. A bit light for an abbey tripel, perhaps closer to a more carbonated strong pale Belgian ale.

Drinks very easily, but also very tame and shallow for an abbey-style tripel.

dgallina, Sep 04, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +10.1%

Great Googley Moogley!
Where do I start? My friend and I first tried this at our first Peoria Beer Fest a number of years ago and we just stood and stared at our glasses. Since then it's been a New Years Tradition to split a bottle at midnight.

It pours to a golden brown color with a slight head but ample carbonation. Use a snifter or wine glass to trap the wonderful aroma.

We experimented with various temps and settled on one around 50 degrees F. So many different flavors as it passes the tongue.

Highly recommended in my book.

kdog630, Aug 26, 2005
3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

After the Corsendonk Brown, I expected a tremendous beer out of this one, especially since I am a huge Trippel fan. The straw to yellow color is on target. Nice carbonation, white head and incredible retention and lacing. Aroms are subdued, but nice. Fresh fruits, honey, chardonay like, mildly tart, and perfumy alcohol woven around peppery spices. The taste was a slight let down. It becomes a little too chardonay like. Less malty sweetness than I expected and a lower body too. All of the tartness of lemons, grapefruit, white grapes, and pears that I like, but lacks a bit of round sweetness going into the body. Remains alcoholic and perhaps a little phenolic. I think in their attempt for greater alcohol, they lost body and smoothness. Still, a world class beer.

BEERchitect, Aug 12, 2005
4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

The Agnus- which see to be a tripel- was the latest addition to the Bogota Airlift.

The appearance must definetly rank among one of the most amazing. the bottling itself is so attractive for the Corsendonk, with a clean, white logo and inscription on a brown bottle. the pour was just radiant, an amazing golden tone with a head that looked like bread- just would not stop growing, in an overwhelming way, and looking like a perfect combination because it had a certain glow.

The smell required me to dig my nose into the actual head. The stronest sensation was that of hops, a herby feel with a fresh, citrusy touch that seemed a bit weak in strength, but not in character.

The taste is very nice, and I understand the dilemma over pale ale vs. tripel. It has certainly all the foundings of a tripel- abundant fruits and spices- but the taste is considerably diluted into a softer feel. the strong bitter ending also suggests its pale ale properties. this is sort of a blend between duvel and karmeliet, with the body of the latter- and certainly sets in half-way in my level of pleasure.

This is most decidedly a good beer.

Andreji, Aug 05, 2005
4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

Appearance: It poured a cloudy pale yellow color with a thick creamy lasting head. The head retained most of it's original thickness for quite a few minutes. You can't see bubbles rising through the haze, but they surly must be there because a head doesn't normally stay this long without some help. It leaves some thick lace behind after drinking.

Aroma: Lots of fruit here. I get pears and oranges...some banana, but it isn't a significant part of the profile. There are lemons, limes, and a whole fruit basket in here to be smelled. It's pretty amazing how many aromas there are in here to pick out. I could list them all night.

Taste: The taste is good, but I was a little let down after all of the presentation in the aroma. It is really clean, and maybe this would be a good thing for "most" beer drinkers...but I like them rich. There is still a pretty assertive citrusy presence here, and it becomes more apparent as it warms up a bit. The mouthfeel is super light, and makes it go down like lemonade. It is really palatable

Opinion: I think that this is an excellent beer, and I would not "kick it out of the fridge". I think that the aroma was more intriguing than the flavor, but I am spoiled with Belgian Tripels. I would put this beer somewhere in my top 10 favorite Tripels, but I definitely like some others more.

SkeeterHawk, Aug 03, 2005
3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

Clear golden colour with a huge, rocky white head that quickly dissipates to a thin lace. Lemon and spice in the aroma, quite clean. Same in the flavour, but a bit of malty sweetness starts things off. A bit peppery as well. Clean, short finish with some sweetness. Huge, crisp carbonation with a lightish body. Slightly slick texture but mouthfeel is dominated by the carbonation. Easy to drink given the abv, nice balance.

DrJay, Jul 28, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured refrigerator chilled into tulip glass.

This beer was so carbonated that it took me a few minutes to pour and even then it had a towering head. The color was a translucent orange/peach. After waiting an additional few minutes to let that settle, I got impatient and had at it. It was just taunting me to drink it.

Sweet, fruity, with elements of peach or nectarine. The hops were subtle but prevalent. I wouldn't say this was "balanced" like a German lager might be, but this isn't a German lager. It's anything but! It reminded me of the kind of beer you would take with dessert and drink the night away. With all that carbonation, it felt awesome in the mouth. I could drink this beer all night, although it was a bit on the filling side compared to its light color and mouthfeel. Probably all the bubbles.

JMendyka, Jul 25, 2005
3.35/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured into the Corsendonk glass from the gift pack, this beer gave a large head that kept growing to create a cap above the rim of the glass. The beer itself is pale gold in colour with lots of bubbles rushing about in it.

The smell is a lot of citrus, lime mostly and a bit soapy. Faint black pepper and belgian yeast is in there as well. Not bad, but not making me drool.

Taste is citrus, lemon zest, sweet and tart. has a dry finish. A hint of green apple type flavour in there. Leaving it on the tongue reveals no stand-out flavour, just a tame mixing of the tastes. To be honest it hasn't really impressed, it is ok at best.

Mouthfeel is on the thin side, with a fair amount of carbonation. Again, ok at best.

One can't say that this beer tough to drink though, it goes down easy, and the ABV is well hidden.

I'd almost be tempted to call this a Tripel Lite. Perhaps to introduce someone to the style this would work, but I long for more potency.

elricorico, Jul 25, 2005
3.63/5  rDev -8.8%

Brilliant clear gold under creamy white head.

Strong apple cider scent which as the head dies down gives way to phenolic, earthy funk.

Tastes like I wish hard cider did: fruity, shot through with an oddly pleasant medicinal taste. Melds very nicely with goat cheese. Finish drops off the cliff, though.

Light prickle of fizz in a light body. I was actually expecting a bit more carbonation, though.

Decent.

gentlebubbles, Jul 16, 2005
3.78/5  rDev -5%

Pours into the Corsendonk "zalig genieten" glass with explosive carbonation in a yellowish gold body, leading to a thunderously large marshmallow white head. Aromas fight through the cumulus head to reveal candied bananas, pineapple, candy sugar, yeast, a touch of pepper. Not bad. Grainy fruit flavors, topped with sticky candy sugar. Alcohol noticeable up front, along with some peppery, mildly astringent bitterness. Sweetness stays into the finish, with a buttressing banana-ish bitterness. Medium-full bodied with a light syrupy quality. Not a bad tripel, but there are plenty better.

alexgash, Jul 15, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -2%

This beer popped loudly and poured a clear golden with a billowy white head that sizzled down to a thin layer not long after the pour. The smell is good but is lacking a little bit. It smells slightly fruity. The taste is of pale malt with a little bit of fruit. There is an alcohol presence with the flavor. It has a light sweetness to it. The mouthfeel is good. Medium to moderate carbonation and a medium body. I think this is a very drinkable beer. I recommend it.

Brian700, Jul 10, 2005
3.35/5  rDev -15.8%

Bought as part of a glassware pack along with a bottle of their Pater. Simple white silkscreened line drawing of the Virgin Mary and baby Jesus for the logo on this 330 ml brown bottle.

The pour is somewhat uninspiring, a 2 finger loose foamy head lacking in retention, the appearance is a pale hazy straw with minimal carbonation and a great deal of suspended particles. The aroma is also somewhat average, mild inhalations of wheat and honey, grass and a short jolt of alcohol riding up the nose. The flavour, while mild and pleasant, is also fairly average, not very stimulating. Low lying wheat and yeast at first, a little grainy, with a meadowy character in the middle, grassy and flowery with some honey and a bit of dried apricot, leading up to a floral and minutely herbal finish that is accentuated by a light citrus and peppery spice, which carries on through the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel possesses a far more fizzy and carbonated texture than the appearance of this tripel initially belies. In fact I've had the impression this whole time that I've been drinking a full-bodied lager in the back of my mind. Perhaps I didn't choose a more exemplar bottle of this tripel to review, but from what I've sampled this doesn't really thrill me too much, pretty plain overall. A very easy-drinking tripel, I'll give it that, but I don't feel very enticed to make an extra trip for more, or to refill my glass with it any time soon.

IronDjinn, Jul 09, 2005
4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

Finally a local wine importer is distributing some new Belgians in Alberta; Corsendonk among them. The bottle is quite a simple affair, with a small white decal of Mary. Corsendonk's brewery label is definitely one of the more religious-looking. An apple and mango aroma drifts up after the cap is popped. The Agnus pours with a mammoth head verging on uncontrollable, especially in the Corsendonk beer glass. Big, pillowy and bright white, the head slowly falls to a drinkable level, leaving clingy lacing in rings and big dense pockets, all the while churning melodiously. The liquid itself is a cloudy champagne colour, bright golden. The first sniff gives an exceptional tripel aroma, full of spicy, brandy alcohol, white sugar, and a strong floral soapiness. Fresh wet grass above the rim, and down closer I get the maltiness along with a rich honey smell, which was appetising and a little different for a tripel. The aroma is quite dusty, warm and sweet. Some great fruitiness from the yeast, adding pear peel, green apple, mango, dried apricot and banana cake. There is a great deal of complexity to be had in the smell, and I found new aromas with each sniff. Much better than a lot of tripels out there. The taste does not fully fulfil the aroma, but is still first rate. The beer is quite syrupy sweet and sugary, but not cloying. Malt is given priority, and the phenols are masked very well. Some tinny metallic tastes throw in an off flavour occasionally. Surprising also is the spicy hops this has in the mouth, even up front on the tongue, almost like Saaz or Hallertauer. I tasted more hopping than usual for the style. The taste begins malty, gristy and with the flowery hops. In the middle all the fruit comes out, a little syrupy but filled with apricot and apple. The finish is dry with a little alcohol bite, and decently bitter from the hops. The smell and taste both have dusty, powdery characteristics. The sediment, tasted separately, is milky and even more dusty. I cannot complain about any element of the taste, save the fact that the aroma lead me to believe it would be a little better. This is medium bodied and low in carbonation, allowing for easy sipping. After a glass the stomach warms comfortably and you can "chew the cud" as it were of this beer. My verdict: a great example of the style, worthy of the name tripel, and very tasty, with enough complexity to satisfy most palates. I am glad I tried it. Thanks Corsendonk.

Cwrw, Jul 05, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +10.1%

After sampling the Brown Ale in Chattanooga last weekend, I had extremely low expectation for this beer.

I was very pleasantly surprised. While, IMHO, the brewery completely missed the mark on the brown ale, the hit the bulls eye with this light, flavorful Pale Ale.

It pours a wonderful light color with a bit of yeasty residue our of the big corked and caged bottle. I nice long lasting head full of tight small bubbles protects the golden brew.

A definite classic Strong Pale Ale. Fruit, malt, yeast and more hops than I expected from a Belgian, but certainly not overwhelming. Everything blends very nicely here.

I will keep this as a staple in my cellar.

cheers!

TPSReports, Jul 02, 2005
3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

This beer pours much lighter than expected at a very pale yellow. It is darker than most macro's but not by much. The flavor though is unlike any macro. I would say this beer is deceptively light. There is a nice full flavor permeating from every sip. I caught hints of an apple or some berry as very slight aftertastes.

My main detraction from belgian ales is their phenolic character, and this pleasantly had none. Except for the price this would be an excellent session beer and would be of great use in advocacy of good beer to the unknowing. It is a nice blend of light and flavorful that any beer drinker will be able to appreciate, macrodrinker or no.

koolkat, Jun 29, 2005
3.53/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I presented this beer in a Trappist glass. It has a golden yellow colour. The beer shows a lot of carbonation that is continuously spreading around the chunks of yeast. I prefer the yeast and the beer.
When poured out it gives a large snow white head. As time goes by the head diminishes and, thanks to the vivid carbonation, the small remaining head looks like an active white volcanic surface with white mud pot’s.
The smell is sweet-bitter. It reminds my of the smell of some delicious soft Irish whiskey. Malty grains and slight hop, citrus.
At first it tastes creamy, than a malty taste creeps up, after that it goes over in a citrus taste and it ends with a dry hop, yeast and grain sensation in the back of my mouth. I did experience the alcohol in the taste and in my throat. All the way through, the carbonation gives an extra dimension to the flavour.

This is a nice abbey beer, I love to drink this once in a while. But I must say that from the bottle it is more a regular beer. The taste is richer when on tap.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat!

Bierschenker, Jun 10, 2005
3.15/5  rDev -20.9%

Clear golden body. Bigass thick crop of ivory white head. Retention is outstanding. Carbonation looks vigorous. Nose is bready and sweet. A little spicy (peppery). And yeasty. Decent enough. Flavors are subtle, bordering on bland. Stale yeast and delicat sweet malts. Light pepper. A little wet cardboard. Mouthfeel is very prickly with carbonation. Body is light-medium. Just a little charged and gaseous in the mouth, but not overboard. Average Tripel and not one I'll seek out again.

Bighuge, Jun 08, 2005

From the small 33cl bottle.

A cloudy honey straw color with a very finely carbonated white head. Quite fluffy, nice lace, long lasting.

Citrus nose, diacetyl, grassy, tangerines, and a little bit of ol horse blanket thrown in.

The taste has a bitter start followed by a flush of fruit and earthy malt. There is a hint of chocolate way back. The finish is dry with an earthy cocoa aftertaste. Pretty delicious with a pleasant fizzy mouthfeel.

horndecker, Jun 05, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

my first locally-purchased bottle in several years...why not re-review?

And, away we go, the trap is off, the corkscrew in...POP!, and there she goes...misty straw appearance, delicate, snowy white pillow of foam, leaves lovely lacing...leads the eye to urge on the appetite...

Nose: gorgeous, an ethereal whiff of citrus, spice, and fairy dust, or something.

Peaches and pears, ginger and cardamom, coriander and orange rind.. Beautiful.
taste: a great spritz on the palate at first, a blast of lemon peel, yeast, and gritty spices all over the tongue...a sour, citric bite dominates the start, then it slides off and relents to easier pleasures.

This would act as an excellent aperitif, as I'm finding my tongue yearning for certain foods...too bad it's 4:45 am...I'll make a note to match with fine dining in the future, though.

Medium bodied, with a light, dry, certainly citric finish.

Zesty, if I had to keep it to one word.

feloniousmonk, May 14, 2005

Brown bottle bomber purchased from Dunderbak's cafe in the Lehigh Valley Mall.

Very light straw in color with a very light, whispy semi-rocky head. Some lacing on the glass but not as much as I would expect from a Belgian Tripel. Lots of tiny bubbles of carbonation continually rise from the bottom of the Corsendonk tulip from which I drink.

Fruity nose and very sweet yet very crisp to the taste. Not a session beer but a lovely beverage none the less.

ggroller, May 01, 2005
3.65/5  rDev -8.3%

Lot # 136287, beautifully presented. Cork tied down with rubbery elastic "thingy".

Pours very pale, with an active head. Carbonation gives off major grapefruit effervescence. Can also smell apples and grape-green variety on both.

Incredibly tasty, but I am not sure where the taste is trying to take me. Smell and taste happen almost simultaneously. Syrupy and sweet.

Carbonation seams to pick up as the beer warms. A little to bubbly for my taste, but then again we're talking about almost a champagne. This is definitely a beer for the faint(er) of heart.

FLAbeergutinMASS, Mar 28, 2005