1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Wiedemann - Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

WiedemannWiedemann

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: AtLagerHeads on 07-09-2003)
Reviews by clemtig76:

clemtig76, Jul 06, 2013
1.08/5  rDev -58.9%

Behold, what might be the lamest beer in the world. Extremely cheap. Offensive soiled rag from a garage smell, with rubbing alcohol.

Pale color, super straw see through. Taste was even bad for an adjunct. Like, they must have used recycled paper instead of corn or rice. Rough. Real cheap, and once you totally thrash your taste buds with this stuff, it does get a little more drinkable.

Drink this stuff on a dare.

Beerandraiderfan, Aug 21, 2010
2.13/5  rDev -19%

I was surprised to see this - I didn't think it was still in production. I drank a fair bit in my youth, but didn't think it was all that great. It seems my impression from that time is still valid. Grainy corn-laden malt with a hint of bland hops. Nothing interesting, and too rough to be a worthwhile lawnmower beer.

Brent, Jun 12, 2006

Sturgeon, May 30, 2014
2.83/5  rDev +7.6%

On my journey of buying the cheap of the cheap beers, I soon stumbled upon a case of this. I don't attempt to pour such a beer since it is meant to be consumed out of the can.

The beer is fairly carbonated, but not overly so like a Keystone Light. The beer is very sweet with some malt here and there. The aftertaste is similar to a white wine. Very fruity and sweet beer for this kind of brew. I put this towards the top of the cheap macro brews. Don't overlook it the next time you look to pick up a case of Stones or Bush, you may be suprised. And you won't have to worry about anybody else drinking your beer!

dren, Nov 16, 2004
2.25/5  rDev -14.4%

Waymore, Dec 17, 2012
3.85/5  rDev +46.4%

I found this little gem at the local Krogers at Harpers Point in Cincinnati. At first I bought it as a joke but have grown to enjoy it. It tastes great right out of the can, goes great with meats and cheeses, and is a good refreshing beverage after mowing the lawn or a good work out on the treadmill.

Also, the history behind Wiedemann is very interesting. If you live in the greater Cincinnati area it is worth checking out.

pumarocks, Sep 14, 2006
2.63/5  rDev 0%

This beer has traveled a long route to get from northern Kentucky back to there years after the founding brewery perished. Originally known as Wiedemann Bohemian Special from George Wiedemann Brewing the beer was picked up by Evansville Brewing when Wiedemann closed, and more recently by the Pittsburgh Brewing Company and being distributed under the name G.B.D. Brewing. Looking much the same as it did years ago the new iteration is a middle of the road brew with minimal attributes other than its name in the Cincy area. Worth a try, but not a top choice.

AtLagerHeads, Jul 09, 2003
2.25/5  rDev -14.4%

harpus, Jul 24, 2013

Hey! this was some really decent swill. It is a thin bodied adjunct macro-style for sure, but it has a really clean easy firmness of flavor that you could drink a ton of while fishing or watching football. Aside from the overall neutral mildness of the beer, it was a really classy example of its style. Another inquiry of my best bro's old man revealed that he claimed it was widely regarded by his beer buddies back in his heyday, and it looks like the beer didn't slide that far down the pole like so many others did between the 50's and 80's. If it was available locally I would regularly turn to it for economical solace.

dedrinker, Oct 26, 2006

Wudro, Aug 19, 2012
2.78/5  rDev +5.7%

kmpitz2 gave this one to me, but I'm not really saying thanks for it, as it was somewhat of a joke. 12oz can. Pours a slightly yellow color with almost no head and doesn't leave any lacing on the glass. Sweet aroma with some graininess. The flavor has a corn-like macro thing going on, but has more flavor than most macros. Not a great beer, by any means, but I'd probably drink it again if it were given to me.

clvand0, Mar 11, 2005

Ah the by-gone college days of yore, Wiedemann you got me through those tough financial times and that's why it's not a complete slam. Back in my heyday, they had a $3.00 mail-in rebate on $3.50 12 pack cases. Because every room in the house I lived in was considered a separate residence, we were frequently awash in .50 cent swill. Pours a thin pissy pale yellow with a frizzy head. Smells a little skunky like cheap beer should. Tastes a little on the sweet grainy side, plenty of carbonation. Chug away, that's what it's for.

Pup, Aug 26, 2009
1.93/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer was like a kid in trouble; I found this beer in bottom shelf in the most remote corner in the local beer store, like it had done something wrong and had to sit away from all the other beers. That was enough to intrigue me to take some to the Halloween party last night. This beer departs the can just a shade off clear, with a finger of head that falls to nothing. The nose is sugary sweet, with hints of corn and grain. The flavor is a lot of corn and grainy flavors with a sweetness in the background. Nothing really great that makes me remember it over other beers like this. The feel is very thin and the drinkability is okay. Not a beer I will drink a lot of, but I'm glad I tried it, just to say I did.

kmpitz2, Nov 01, 2004

Sludgeman, Jun 24, 2013
3.83/5  rDev +45.6%

As a former Cincinnati resident I still have a soft spot for this beer and pick some up on my frequent trips back. While its been about 3 months since I last had this beer I wanted to review it. A surprisingly flavorful macro it is extremely drinkable and did well six years ago in a blind taste test with friends from college. I believe we rated it third out of eight macros all of which were more expensive. (by the way Special Export which this site lists as a dortmunder won our small tasting). I would recomend this to my broke friends in a heartbeat

chuckm, Feb 24, 2007
3.18/5  rDev +20.9%

As much of a beer snob as I am, I still keep this cheap beer in my fridge at all times. It's great for when I'm working around the house, or when I want to encourage my brother-in-law the mooch to leave.

Appearance: Pale yellow, not much head, no lacing on the glass.

Smell: Faintly skunky. Corn.

Taste: A little grainy, kinda sweet.

Mouthfeel: Thin.

Drinkability: Highly quaffable. No point in sipping this beer, just drink it.

RedLion, Apr 29, 2005
Wiedemann from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.