Falls City - Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

Falls CityFalls City

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-15-2001)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by bluejacket74:
bluejacket74

2.98/5  rDev +18.3%

I poured the Falls City in a normal Pint Glass, even though I usually drink it out of the can. I usually pick some up when I'm in the Louisville, KY area, however I picked up my six pack of cans in Parkersburg, WVa. The beer is a pale golden yellow color, and there was about a 1/2 inch head which went away pretty quickly. It pretty much has the corn/grain/adjunct smell to it, not much more to it than that. It's very light tasting, with a bit of sweetness to it, but grainy. That being said it's very easy to drink, and it's not a bad session beer. It goes down easy, with very little aftertaste. If you're looking to drink a lot of a relatively cheap beer, this isn't a bad choice, there are certainly worse beers out there.

05-19-2006 23:58:21 | More by bluejacket74

2.5/5  rDev -0.8%

04-28-2013 13:12:06 | More by neckbracesub
Rddymk

2.9/5  rDev +15.1%

After 12 of these bastards I thought I'd be hooked. Fortuately I was wrong. Oh God, what a wasted evening. Tried to eat pretzels, chips and pasta to get any positive thing to say about this nightmare. Nothing, absolutely nothing is good about this beer. After I had a protein spill from drinking this crap the taste in my mouth was actually better than when I was drinking it. Please stay away from this stuff.

08-27-2009 20:49:23 | More by Rddymk
baos

1.25/5  rDev -50.4%

12 oz. can.

I wrote about this beer in my journal in 1998.

A: Yuck

S: Yuck with corn and water and a weird river water metallic smell and that was besides the can smell. Did I smell burning tires?

T: Yuck with corn and water and a weird river water metallic taste and that was besides the can taste. Did I taste a hint of motor oil?

M: Stagnant water.

D: Well according to my journal I drank a whole case and ended up asleep on my high school home ec's teacher's couch. Screaming at her son the talented and great Zach to let me into her liquor stash.

09-13-2007 23:48:31 | More by baos
dedrinker

Kansas

2.5/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I picked this up at a grocery store in Louisville, KY - Falls City indeed. Not bad, for its ilk. I got it all down without complaint. grainy water with a hint of beer. I even found a back patch to stitch onto my jacket. These beers are there to wash down fast food in the backseat of late model Buiks. I bought a whole case, and finished it without any detriment to my health.

10-25-2006 00:03:09 | More by dedrinker
pumarocks

2.9/5  rDev +15.1%

I picked up this little gem at the Bateville Liquior Store in Batesville, IN. For 1.99/six pack you cannot go wrong. It is a very sweet tasting beer w/little hops and smell. You can taste the corn for sure. It goes great with the local fried chicken that is to-die-for.

It reminds me of PBR, Weidemann, and Hamms. Worth checking out in this beer drinker's opinion.

10-16-2006 19:15:53 | More by pumarocks
witster18

1.63/5  rDev -35.3%

Not bad on initial taste but this beer lingers. adjuncts...yep. This unfortunately reminds me of Busch. Not bad if served VERY cold but still has other beers in its $range that are definately more preferable-try high life or even better a schlitz. Grainy taste sweet but a little unnecessary alcohol finish.

09-02-2006 20:30:20 | More by witster18
BEERchitect

2.25/5  rDev -10.7%

A classic smash-the-can-on-your-forehead beer. Though I didn't entirely know what to expect, I knew not to expect a diamond in the ruff. The beer carries a severe grain flavor with metalic, adjunct, and astringent flavors. Quite bite-ey in the back of the throat with an old hop flavor. All combined for the working man's brew. Wish I knew about this beer in college, when I used to slam beers just for the effect. This beer is certainly alcoholic and mildly sweet with a distracting fizziness. Although there are some terrible flavors here, I find it kinda easy to drink.

08-01-2006 17:36:07 | More by BEERchitect
xduderx

2.15/5  rDev -14.7%

apperanace = drank from a can but I'm imagining it's the typical pale color with heavy carbonation

smell = slightly sweet smelling with a dfinite skunky aroma

taste = it has an upfront corn and rice taste followed by the most odd sweet aftertaste

mouthfeel = somwhere between light bodied and medium bodied

drinkability = low. the taste isn't unbearable, but this beer gives me terrible hangovers.

06-09-2006 19:35:01 | More by xduderx
clvand0

2.85/5  rDev +13.1%

Another beer given to me by kmpitz2 as a semi-joke. Pours very clear and light yellow with little head that doesn't stay around and doesn't leave any lacing on the glass. The aroma is grainy with a hint of caramel. Flavor is very thin as expected but has some slightly sweet caramel and corn flavor. Honestly not too bad for an American macro beer. Not good, but not terrible.

03-11-2005 20:03:38 | More by clvand0
kmpitz2

3.13/5  rDev +24.2%

I found six packs of this beer sitting in the corner of the local beer shop, like they were bad kids in time-out. This one pours a very light golden yellow color with two fingers of head that fall to coat the beer nicely. The nose sweet, with hints of corn, fairly crisp and what I expect from a beer like this. The flavor is actually not that bad either. I'd take it over a bud product. The taste is a little sweet, but theres nothing really going on in it as far as hop goes. Typical. The feel is a light moderate and drinkability is okay as well. Every now and then I have to drink some cheap beer to remind myself of why I spend the money for good beer. I'd pick this one up again if I had to chose between this and bud for certain.

10-29-2004 22:30:07 | More by kmpitz2
Ricochet

3.23/5  rDev +28.2%

I discovered this beer in Louisville. I had lived in the town where this beer is originally from for 3 years and never thought to try it, actually never paid attention to it. Then when I went into my microbrew, they were doing something different for Aug. and had ICE COLD (barrel with ice) cans of Falls City for 75 cents! So, that's where I started with this local cheapy.

Now that I live in Cleveland, whenever I visit Louisville to go to that microbrew, I buy some Falls for consuming when I'm not at the microbrew.

It's an average looking beer, and average to slightly sweet smelling. It's average in mouthfeel and drinkabillity is average.

Taste? Close to PBR. A slight corn taste with slight hops flavor, it really is an average "burp beer" but for the price, it is worth it.

Update 3/20/05: On a recent trip to Louisville I bought some more of these and Wow! The flavor was a little better than PBR. I've compared them side by side and I prefer this! It deserves an upped rating to better than average.

09-24-2004 04:16:09 | More by Ricochet
Brent

2.05/5  rDev -18.7%

This is a classic cheap beer. Originated in Louisville, KY, and is now produced by the same brewer that makes Iron City. Compared against a good pilsner, this is pretty poor stuff. But compared to other cheap beers, its not all that bad. Slightly sweet up front, with a distinct alcohol middle and a lightly hoppy finish. A good lawnmowing, drink-it-fast-while-its-cold beer.

08-15-2001 18:21:20 | More by Brent
Falls City from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.