I.C. Light - Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

I.C. LightI.C. Light

pDev: 45%
Pittsburgh Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Light Lager |  4.15% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2001

4.74/5  rDev +82.3%

Ok I must admit I am pushing a local beer....But listen up y'all this beer is noted for starting the whole light beer trend. It was out WAY before low carb diets were the rage. It has a "full flavor" taste but yet is low in calories and carbs and contains just about the normal ABV as a regular beer. It is very smooth going down finishes clean and tastes great with wings, on a hot summer day or when I am parked in front of the TV watching my fave team play some football(and I'm sure you can guess who it is if you looked to see where the beer is made) AND THANK YOU for keeping it local!!! Try it peoples!!!!

3.99/5  rDev +53.5%

Had a couple of cans left from an outdoor event sponsered by my local bar. It's in WV so my only choices were Macros. Went with a light beer as it was an all day event.

12oz can served in a pub glass.Clear golden with staw-like highlights. 1' white sudsy head fizzley out quick to a slight coating with a white ring. Not much lacing, little spotting with a few bubbles rising.

Sweet malty aroma with breaddy/doughy scents.Slightly toasty with a good bit of fruityness. Clean aromas nothing offensive.

Very clean,sweet maltiness with light toastyness. Grainy/straw-like with fresh fruity tastes,slighly metallic as it warms. Finishes crisp,clean with a fruity fade.

Light mouthfeel,not watery like a lot of light macros, has a grainyness tastes like beer even has a bite to it. My choice for sessioning a light macro, blows away BMC lite beers. Rated this beer compaired to other light beers out there. Can't belive more people don't drink this one.

3.8/5  rDev +46.2%

I poured this suprising beer into my tumbler at 40 degrees. I's summertime, shut up!
The beer was very light colored almost clear. The head did not last very long at all. I was pretty sure this beer would suck anyway since I'm not much on light beer. I will have to say though it was pretty darn good. A great summertime refresher brew. The taste was clean and fresh. I would certainly buy this beer again.

3.7/5  rDev +42.3%

This beer appears in a bottle.

The smell is of bready malts.

The taste follows this, and actually I have noticed it tastes very fine out of the bottle. Some noticable hop character.

Mouthfeel is pretty average but it goes down smooth enough.

Drinkability is off the charts. Great for pre-gaming, or for that matter, during the game. Whatever sport you enjoy.

3.7/5  rDev +42.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle

this is one from the Mouth420 collection, the king of macros strikes again.

Nice bottle, good revamped label design. I had a feeling this one was going to pour a clear yellow and alas, it did, with a small white head. Decent nose i must say, a bit fruity, light but nothing foul at all, damn fresh and pretty inviting. Clean flavor of an American macro, decent balance is achieved. Light in body, very very drinkable. Not bad!

3.42/5  rDev +31.5%

pours a very pale gold with 1/4" of soft, bubbly head that quickly fades to a thin lacing. There's a great deal of carbonation bubbles rising to the top. The smell is grainy with a nice grassy hop aroma. The taste is also grainy with a slight grassy hop character. There's a hint of an apple-like sweetness in the finish. Mouthfeel is light and crisp.

This is my first IC Light since leaving PA in '07. I can see why I drank so many of them back in the day. It's cheap, sessionable, and unoffensive.

3.35/5  rDev +28.8%

Maybe it was the "first-beer-of-the-day" syndrome (the first beer you have that day never tastes bad) but I really didnt think this was a bad brew at all. What I really liked was that IC light didnt seem to have that typical overcarbonated, burning-mouth sensation that a lot of other Lights have. It also has that interesting grass/hay/etc taste that all light beers have, like you are chewing on a mouthful of something that has been freshly cut from the ground. Goes down smooth and easy. Not bad at all.

3.35/5  rDev +28.8%

Here's the Pitt Light that I had consumed before finding Yuengling and liked. Now that they are brewing the bottled stuff in Latrobe, (and I haven't reviewed in in the bottle) here goes...

It poured a light yellow with no lace and first impression was water but the bubbles make it ginger ale. Not much scent, a little musty macro cheap beer scent. Smells like any other. Mouth was thin, with a corn grain aftertaste but nothing like a cheap macro. Actually just a slight hop bite too. Taste? Well, thin and any light, but the difference is, this one is pretty clean. Corn husk is light enough, minor alcohol in the middle, and slightly bitter hops. Hmmm. Yes, this is better than before, as it no longer has the slight skunk of old. I'd say this is much better than almost all the macro lights I've had. Just enough to be more than water, a lot less skunk than other light beers, I'd say, when I want a light, I'd get this.

3.3/5  rDev +26.9%

Clear and a natural looking yellow. Beer mixed with water.

Not much. Faint beer smell.

Alright. A flash of malt then hop with the quickness.

Seltzer water carbonation.

Much better than bud or coors light. Like Miller but would buy instead since it is a smaller brewer. Alright light beer.

3.3/5  rDev +26.9%

Pours a clear, light yellow color with a small amount of white bubbly head that doesn't last long.

Not much in the nose, a little corn and some yeast.

The flavor is pretty much what you would expect; corn, yeast, some sweet malt.

Light bodied, crisp and thin, high carbonation.

This was probably one of the better macros out there, not something I would buy though.

3.3/5  rDev +26.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Light yellow color, with a thin white head (less than a finger). Sticks around... little bit of lacing on the glass.

S: Light touch of hops and sweet malts, Little steely maybe some grass notes.

T: A little more flavor here than most light beers I've had... a good balanced of malt sweetness and a little hops present... there is a slight floral note to the hops.... The steeliness is there too along with some grassy notes as well.... Little to no aftertaste.

M: Crisp & clean with a little smoothness, light bodied, high in carbonation, finish is clean.

D: I have not had a lot of Lite beers.... That being said this one had more than I was expecting from a Lite Beer.... Tasty, nicely balanced, goes down easily, and not very filling at all.... Check this one out.

3.23/5  rDev +24.2%

The smell has an interesting, fruity quality that's almost like sour apple. Highly carbonated with a taste that starts out fairly plain, like a stereotypical light beer, then finishes with a somewhat citrus-like aftertaste. The unique finish gives it more character than some light beers I've tried, but nothing special. It's fine for beer pong or if you're just looking for a cold one, but if you really want something satisfying I wouldn't recommend it.

3.22/5  rDev +23.8%

Brown 12oz bottle with no date poured into a pint.

A: Pours an extremely pale straw yellow with a thin white head. The head doesn't linger even with the the slow and steady carbonation.

S: Sweet and malty with the faintest of hops. I'm pretty sure there is banana in there.

T/M: Extremely mild tasting brew. Similar to the nose with the faintest hints of banana, hops, and malts. Nicely carbonated, light, and crisp.

D: An all day session beer for Penguins, Pirates, or Steelers games. It is what it is, and I love it for that.

3.2/5  rDev +23.1%

So I'm reviewing this right after a review of Iron City, do you think that depletes my sense? I think not.

Appearance: Average for the style. Light yellow with a foamy white head that disappears very quickly.

Smell: Smells like corn and bread, just like every other American Light Lager.

Taste: I.C. Light has slightly more taste than most of its BMC counterparts. I would say it is the most like Miller Lite if you really want to get technical but it mostly tastes like water.

M & D: As average as it gets. There is nothing that stands out at all. I could drink a twelve pack in a sitting during a Pens or Steelers game (as I have done many times) and be perfectly happy!

Notes: All in all, if you are looking for a low cal beer that is very drinkable give this a try. It is every bit as good as its BMC counter parts and it is independent.

3.2/5  rDev +23.1%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A:Clear golden color with a white head that went away quickly and left minimal lacing.

S: Corn is the dominate scent.

T: Mostly cereal in the taste with some malt upfront.

M: Great mouth feel, high carbonation and easy to drink.

O: This is a really good light lager. It was 93 cents for a 12oz bottle. If I could find this in a case locally it would probably be my go to cheap beer.

3.14/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

on tap at the 1902 Lankmark Tavern on Market Square in Pittsburgh. pours a light straw color with little to no head. no impressive in the glass.

aroma is of light grain (a bit stale) with a mildly stale character and little else. this brew would be decent in the nose if not for the stale quality of the grain.

taste follows the nose with a very smooth quality, but lacking in the aftertaste, which comes through as nothing more than stale grain. dissapointing.

mouthfeel is light with a watery texture and more of an aftertaste than a light lager should have. not very crisp upon finishing.

drinkability is decent. for a light lager, this is mediocre at best, but still refreshing on a hot day.

3.07/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a very thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light and sweet malts, some fruit and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is decently balanced for a light beer. There's a thin malt sweetness and a decent hops presence and a touch of fruit in the background. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp with a little smoothness, light body, high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: A little tasty, goes down easily, not filling at all, mild kick, it's very similar to your typical "fizzy yellow beer" but this one at least has a little bit more flavor.

3.06/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I expected to be disgusted by some DMS (cooked vegetable aroma and flavor)-riden mess, but this was a decent macro light beer, all things considered. Yeah, it was pretty watery, but the mouthfeel wasn't unpleasantly dry, bitter, or astringent light most other light beers. Instead this matched a slight lemon flavor with mild bready malts. Not a lot going on, but it's a light beer, what more do you?

3.06/5  rDev +17.7%

I.C. Light brewed by Pittsburgh Brewing Co. This brew has an ABV of 4.15% The brew pours out a nice amber color with a small white head. I.C. Light is a filtered brew you can see right though it. This brew looks like most American light brews. The smell has some grains and malts. You do pick up on some corn in this brew. There is nothing bad about this brew so far now for the taste. The taste at first is bitter but it goes down smooth. But there is something in there at first. This brew ok, it is not bad but it is not good. I would put this light brew right in the middle. The mouthfeel is ok with a clean finish. But the first taste is bitter sweet. Overall I'm giving this brew a 3 out 5. Not the best, but not the worst I've had.

3.02/5  rDev +16.2%

Out of a bottle, I've thought for a year or so now that this beer isn't half bad. But being the beer aficionado that I am, I have to judge it properly, and pour from the bottle into my Czech pilsner glass to allow its true character to come out, instead of letting it hide behind a perception veil that so many beers have managed to wrangle & exploit through intense marketing of poor beer etiquette. What I'm trying to say is: pour all beer in a glass.

The brew is yellow-gold. Like yellow liquid water coloring. The half-inch head that I was able to get out of the bottle quickly disappeared and left me with a sad rim. A steady flow of carbonation bubbles is rising to the top, but not at an intense pace.

Corn husk in the nose. Very dry grains. A mildly sweet undertone. Not one note of finishing hops. Could it be single-hopped? I am catching a scent of hop aroma, but it is so faint I can only imagine it is a remnant of the hops tossed in for the full boil (bittering hops).

Grainy, dry, hay-like flavor in the taste. A good level of bittering hops. Light & thin in the mouth. Dry to the tongue. Very lackluster in the malts section. I know this a light beer, but a touch of character wouldn't hurt this brew at all. Not a lot of flavor, so I'd say it has kept to style.

Pretty easy to drink, but I always counter that factor--which is evidently so important to the average beer drinker--with what is, in my opinion, more important: whether or not I actually want to drink it.

On tap on Primant's, Pittsburgh.

The smell featured a sweet adjunct malt.

The taste was upfront sweet corn cut with a grassy hop.

The mouthfeel was toward the fuller side of the style.

Overall a decent light adjunct lager. Good local alternative.

A: Pours from the 12 oz bottle into a pilsner glass. The beer is perfectly clear, pale gold color. Pour produces a thin white head that fades to nothing but a ring around the glass.

S: Scent of some adjuncts gives the beer a somewhat sweet aroma. Overall the smell is pretty low, which I guess goes with the style.

T: A bit better than the scent. I get a little malty taste that comes through. No bitterness (no/little) hops? Not bitter, non offensive.

M: Not as thin and watery as some light lagers. Good carbonation, light and lively.

O: I purchased a 6 pack for $4.50. Not a bad deal. A good light lager especilly for that price. I would definitely take this over any BMC macro produced light lagers.

2.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Tall pint can poured into an Ayinger half-liter glass. An inch and a half of frothy, white head sits atop a light golden colored liquid. Head is settling down to about a quarter of an inch of covering. Looks like there is an extremely fine, dust-like sediment that is dropping down through the beer. Some cooked corn and vegetal aromas coming off this along with a light candi or sugar smell and some grain husk - eh. Maize and cooked vegetable flavor to start, followed by a slight bittering, tinny flavor, and moving into a finish that tastes like, well, water. Mouthfeel is light with a stinging carbonation. Very easy to drink, kind of in the way that water is easy to drink, maybe a touch more difficult to drink than water.

I don't think this can gave I.C. Light its best showing. I've had it on tap around Pittsburg tasting much better than this dated can did tonight.

2.93/5  rDev +12.7%

Maybe it is because I lived most of my life in the burgh, but I really like IC Light. Sure it isn't anything to write home about but it is refreshing and a good mediator beer. Keeps you from getting totally wasted in the burgh which is easy to do because beer is so cheap. I will have an Iron anyday of the week.

2.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Not a terrible beer for most, but not my cup of tea....I usually only drink it during NHL playoffs cause the local bar offers them for a dollar during pittsburgh penguins playoff games.

A-clear yellow

S- Beer-like? its what you would think a beer would smell like

T- Small hop bite, but not great overall taste

M- nothing to speak of...little weak

D- Easy to drink, good for parties

I.C. Light from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.