I.C. Light - Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

I.C. LightI.C. Light

poor

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Light Lager |  4.15% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2001)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
BeerCon5

3.33/5  rDev +35.4%

Pours a clear, light yellow color with a small amount of white bubbly head that doesn't last long.

Not much in the nose, a little corn and some yeast.

The flavor is pretty much what you would expect; corn, yeast, some sweet malt.

Light bodied, crisp and thin, high carbonation.

This was probably one of the better macros out there, not something I would buy though.

10-19-2010 18:24:18 | More by BeerCon5
DerekP

3.03/5  rDev +23.2%

Out of a bottle, I've thought for a year or so now that this beer isn't half bad. But being the beer aficionado that I am, I have to judge it properly, and pour from the bottle into my Czech pilsner glass to allow its true character to come out, instead of letting it hide behind a perception veil that so many beers have managed to wrangle & exploit through intense marketing of poor beer etiquette. What I'm trying to say is: pour all beer in a glass.

The brew is yellow-gold. Like yellow liquid water coloring. The half-inch head that I was able to get out of the bottle quickly disappeared and left me with a sad rim. A steady flow of carbonation bubbles is rising to the top, but not at an intense pace.

Corn husk in the nose. Very dry grains. A mildly sweet undertone. Not one note of finishing hops. Could it be single-hopped? I am catching a scent of hop aroma, but it is so faint I can only imagine it is a remnant of the hops tossed in for the full boil (bittering hops).

Grainy, dry, hay-like flavor in the taste. A good level of bittering hops. Light & thin in the mouth. Dry to the tongue. Very lackluster in the malts section. I know this a light beer, but a touch of character wouldn't hurt this brew at all. Not a lot of flavor, so I'd say it has kept to style.

Pretty easy to drink, but I always counter that factor--which is evidently so important to the average beer drinker--with what is, in my opinion, more important: whether or not I actually want to drink it.

07-31-2010 00:05:33 | More by DerekP
jcm8756

3.23/5  rDev +31.3%

So I'm reviewing this right after a review of Iron City, do you think that depletes my sense? I think not.

Appearance: Average for the style. Light yellow with a foamy white head that disappears very quickly.

Smell: Smells like corn and bread, just like every other American Light Lager.

Taste: I.C. Light has slightly more taste than most of its BMC counterparts. I would say it is the most like Miller Lite if you really want to get technical but it mostly tastes like water.

M & D: As average as it gets. There is nothing that stands out at all. I could drink a twelve pack in a sitting during a Pens or Steelers game (as I have done many times) and be perfectly happy!

Notes: All in all, if you are looking for a low cal beer that is very drinkable give this a try. It is every bit as good as its BMC counter parts and it is independent.

03-24-2010 15:24:53 | More by jcm8756
Brad007

Vermont

2.63/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a light, nearly clear yellow color with a thin head into my pint glass. Seems right for the style.

Aroma is sweet and full of corn. Seems light I suppose. Not much to entice the nose.

Taste is sweet and watery or at least, those are the two characteristics that stand out. Not much in the way of malt.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering flavors as mentioned above. At least there's no harsh aftertaste or anything.

Eh, it's a light beer. What else can I say? I'm not a fan of light beers but I'm always searching (albeit fruitlessly) for a light beer other than Sam Light that I can tolerate. There just ain't no thing but if you're getting sick of BMC light beers, try this.

01-10-2010 05:10:18 | More by Brad007
matjack85

1.2/5  rDev -51.2%

I picked up this single 12oz brown bottle from the Binny's in Plainfield, IL for $1.49. There was no freshness date or anything written about the beer on the label.

The beer poured the palest shade of yellow I've ever seen - any lighter and it would be water. It's crystal clear and makes a 1½ finger white head that disappears before you even set the bottle down. It doesn't even leave a thin white rim of foam on top. All trace of head completely dissipates and therefore it leaves no lacing whatsoever.

It smells like corn swetener and nothing else, but at least it's not skunky or offensive.

This tastes like sweetened seltzer water. It also has a mineral water flavor to it along with a metalic taste, even though this one comes in a glass bottle.

The mouthfeel is like takung sweetened Alka-Seltzer.

I didn't like this beer at all, and while it may be drinkable, I don't jnow why anyone would want to.

01-01-2010 23:27:47 | More by matjack85
GoalieRon33

2.9/5  rDev +17.9%

Not a terrible beer for most, but not my cup of tea....I usually only drink it during NHL playoffs cause the local bar offers them for a dollar during pittsburgh penguins playoff games.

A-clear yellow

S- Beer-like? its what you would think a beer would smell like

T- Small hop bite, but not great overall taste

M- nothing to speak of...little weak

D- Easy to drink, good for parties

11-07-2009 04:25:37 | More by GoalieRon33
woodychandler

2.23/5  rDev -9.3%

CAN you believe that I am just now getting around to reviewing THIS beer? In a CAN ...

An aggressive pour produced a finger of bone-white head with low retention. Nose was very light and slightly sweet. The color was a pale straw-yellow with NE-quality clarity. The mouthfeel was somewhat thin with a mild sweetness on the tongue. Finish was equally thin with that same sweetness that just seemed to linger. Overall, it was a pretty boring beer. Oh well. Stick to Arn!

10-31-2009 20:58:01 | More by woodychandler
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

1.83/5  rDev -25.6%

Another can of Iron city to rate from my friends trip out east.

Poured in to my pint glass the beer is crystal clear yellow. A large stark white head caps my glass then dissapates in a blink of an eye. Not that I thought there would be any but lace is not even an option.

The aroma. Who am I kidding? This beer doesn't have an aroma is has a "smell". A smell of sweet grain and corn tortilla chips.

The flavor is light for sure. More tortilla chips and a touch of hop bite.

Light body. Loads of carbonation. Dry finish.

Overall another crappy light american lager. Yawn. I'm glad my buddy thought of me and brought this home. I'm just sad he didn't grab mesomething good.

10-29-2009 23:32:08 | More by beerwolf77
Ricochet

3.38/5  rDev +37.4%

Here's the Pitt Light that I had consumed before finding Yuengling and liked. Now that they are brewing the bottled stuff in Latrobe, (and I haven't reviewed in in the bottle) here goes...

It poured a light yellow with no lace and first impression was water but the bubbles make it ginger ale. Not much scent, a little musty macro cheap beer scent. Smells like any other. Mouth was thin, with a corn grain aftertaste but nothing like a cheap macro. Actually just a slight hop bite too. Taste? Well, thin and any light, but the difference is, this one is pretty clean. Corn husk is light enough, minor alcohol in the middle, and slightly bitter hops. Hmmm. Yes, this is better than before, as it no longer has the slight skunk of old. I'd say this is much better than almost all the macro lights I've had. Just enough to be more than water, a lot less skunk than other light beers, I'd say, when I want a light, I'd get this.

09-02-2009 01:58:25 | More by Ricochet
plaid75

On tap on Primant's, Pittsburgh.

The smell featured a sweet adjunct malt.

The taste was upfront sweet corn cut with a grassy hop.

The mouthfeel was toward the fuller side of the style.

Overall a decent light adjunct lager. Good local alternative.

08-02-2009 17:01:39 | More by plaid75
botham

3.1/5  rDev +26%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

on tap at the 1902 Lankmark Tavern on Market Square in Pittsburgh. pours a light straw color with little to no head. no impressive in the glass.

aroma is of light grain (a bit stale) with a mildly stale character and little else. this brew would be decent in the nose if not for the stale quality of the grain.

taste follows the nose with a very smooth quality, but lacking in the aftertaste, which comes through as nothing more than stale grain. dissapointing.

mouthfeel is light with a watery texture and more of an aftertaste than a light lager should have. not very crisp upon finishing.

drinkability is decent. for a light lager, this is mediocre at best, but still refreshing on a hot day.

06-05-2009 19:54:11 | More by botham
treyrab

2.78/5  rDev +13%

Had this on numerous occasions, but after getting it for a recent Penn State tailgate, I decided it needed a fair review.

A: Pours a pale yellow with a spritzy snow-white head. Tons of carbonation beads sprinting up the glass. Not really different from the Bud, Miller, Coors when it comes to the look. Maybe a tad darker.

S: Sweet cereal grains and rice. Very sweet and pale smelling, not much there. Not much hop presence, just plain cereal and rice.

T: Watery, light and sweet with pale grains and rice. Nothing out of the ordinary, but I would take this over Bud, Miller or Coors any day.

Overall, I may be bias being from Pittsburgh, but I think this beer is better than the BMCs. Not a good beer, but a beer that I can live with for tailgating and the like.

05-05-2009 01:51:58 | More by treyrab
cvstrickland

2.53/5  rDev +2.8%

The chilled 12-ounce longneck poured into my Kolsch cylinder yields a pale golden body capped with a finger-and-a-half's thickness of bright white, slowly-fading foam. Ragged drippy rings of lacing mark the sides of the glass to commemorate the drink's passing.

The smell is mild with a touch of musty, fruity grain, black pepper, and herbal spice.

The taste is faintly grainy, but with a bitter, odd-flavored finish laced with fruity solvent.

The drink is light-bodied and an easy drinker when served at near-freezing and virtually-flavorless, but at "cellar" temperature or any warmer, IC Light is pretty much pisswater awful.

04-28-2009 03:06:08 | More by cvstrickland
mralphabet

3.33/5  rDev +35.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Light yellow color, with a thin white head (less than a finger). Sticks around... little bit of lacing on the glass.

S: Light touch of hops and sweet malts, Little steely maybe some grass notes.

T: A little more flavor here than most light beers I've had... a good balanced of malt sweetness and a little hops present... there is a slight floral note to the hops.... The steeliness is there too along with some grassy notes as well.... Little to no aftertaste.

M: Crisp & clean with a little smoothness, light bodied, high in carbonation, finish is clean.

D: I have not had a lot of Lite beers.... That being said this one had more than I was expecting from a Lite Beer.... Tasty, nicely balanced, goes down easily, and not very filling at all.... Check this one out.

04-21-2009 03:02:11 | More by mralphabet
ATPete

3.7/5  rDev +50.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle

this is one from the Mouth420 collection, the king of macros strikes again.

Nice bottle, good revamped label design. I had a feeling this one was going to pour a clear yellow and alas, it did, with a small white head. Decent nose i must say, a bit fruity, light but nothing foul at all, damn fresh and pretty inviting. Clean flavor of an American macro, decent balance is achieved. Light in body, very very drinkable. Not bad!

03-26-2009 21:02:26 | More by ATPete
Stinkypuss

3.75/5  rDev +52.4%

This beer appears in a bottle.

The smell is of bready malts.

The taste follows this, and actually I have noticed it tastes very fine out of the bottle. Some noticable hop character.

Mouthfeel is pretty average but it goes down smooth enough.

Drinkability is off the charts. Great for pre-gaming, or for that matter, during the game. Whatever sport you enjoy.

03-19-2009 08:18:02 | More by Stinkypuss
asabreed

2.65/5  rDev +7.7%

12 oz. can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Fizzy yellow and typical light beer specs. Not much head or lacing or any stickage going on.

Smell: Corn and adjunct sweetness with enough hops maybe to make it fairly bearable with nothing metallic or off-putting. There's just not a lot there.

Taste: Again, not much to speak of here, but nothing off-putting. A bit of sweetness and beer-flavored water taste, maybe a bit of mild hops and grain.

Mouthfeel: Actually fairly decent carbonation with a lighter bodied beer, which makes it a bit easier to drink.

Drinkability: If I drink light beer at a barbeque or someone's having a party with such a brew, it's not too bad. I'd never really buy it myself, but there are worse light beers out there. Very easy to drink and wash food down, and it's nice they actually have the calories and nutritional information on the can too, since many light beers don't.

02-25-2009 04:42:33 | More by asabreed
kkosmoski

2.93/5  rDev +19.1%

Tall pint can poured into an Ayinger half-liter glass. An inch and a half of frothy, white head sits atop a light golden colored liquid. Head is settling down to about a quarter of an inch of covering. Looks like there is an extremely fine, dust-like sediment that is dropping down through the beer. Some cooked corn and vegetal aromas coming off this along with a light candi or sugar smell and some grain husk - eh. Maize and cooked vegetable flavor to start, followed by a slight bittering, tinny flavor, and moving into a finish that tastes like, well, water. Mouthfeel is light with a stinging carbonation. Very easy to drink, kind of in the way that water is easy to drink, maybe a touch more difficult to drink than water.

I don't think this can gave I.C. Light its best showing. I've had it on tap around Pittsburg tasting much better than this dated can did tonight.

02-05-2009 01:40:07 | More by kkosmoski
yuenglings

2.8/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Tried this beer cause pittsburgh was in the super bowl so i thought it was a good fit insted of the other crappy light beers out there (ml bl cl)

Apperance: clear light yellow, very good head and lacing

Smell: slight skunk smell with a little bit of sweetness

Taste: like the taste not very strong ,little sweet and a very little bit of hops

Mouthfeel: Thin with a good carbonation

Drinkability: very easy to drink drank about 10 watching the super bowl , but i dont think i would go out and buy another case any time soon

02-02-2009 14:59:30 | More by yuenglings
DoubleJ

2.25/5  rDev -8.5%

I see light...penerating through this bottle of beer. I'm betting I.C the light make its way through this beer when it's in a glass. On to the beer:

Pale straw yellow color, the head fizzles away to nothing within seconds. Some carbonation bubbles in the body keep this from the lowest appearance score. I smell corn in this beer. Just some. And some astringent grain. Hmmm. The taste? Sour...in a bad way. The seltzer-like carbonation adds some excitement, but otherwise this is anot very exciting to drink. Mildly clean...faded taste of boiled corn. Actually, the taste isn't too bad for a light beer...if you drink it fast and not let it sit on your palate. Weird, my stomach just got that warming feeling. At least my tummy is happy when my palate is expecting better.

Decent for a light beer, but nothing more.

01-01-2009 00:06:36 | More by DoubleJ
MTNboy

Germany

2.85/5  rDev +15.9%

I'll be honest there is not much to write about when it comes to this beer. It was amazingly plain. It had a rough white head over very pale transparent body. The aroma was very weak but smelled of malt and was little bit crisp. I noticed the mouthfeel before I notice the flavor it was very watery and thin with some carbonation to it and that was about it. The flavor was beany and grassy but not bitter at all. Overall it was beer flavored water. I will say it was refreshing at the time because I was parched.

12-21-2008 18:16:27 | More by MTNboy
tmoneyba

2.75/5  rDev +11.8%

Bottle from World of Beer.

Poured a clear amber color with minimal frothy white head that mostly diminished with virtually no lacing. Light to moderate grainy aroma. Light to medium body with soft carbonation. Light sweet flavor with a light sweet finish of short duration.

This is a below average beer that is consistent for style.

12-07-2008 08:19:25 | More by tmoneyba
Minkybut

3.85/5  rDev +56.5%

I poured this suprising beer into my tumbler at 40 degrees. I's summertime, shut up!
The beer was very light colored almost clear. The head did not last very long at all. I was pretty sure this beer would suck anyway since I'm not much on light beer. I will have to say though it was pretty darn good. A great summertime refresher brew. The taste was clean and fresh. I would certainly buy this beer again.

07-26-2008 17:41:15 | More by Minkybut
tempest

3.08/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I expected to be disgusted by some DMS (cooked vegetable aroma and flavor)-riden mess, but this was a decent macro light beer, all things considered. Yeah, it was pretty watery, but the mouthfeel wasn't unpleasantly dry, bitter, or astringent light most other light beers. Instead this matched a slight lemon flavor with mild bready malts. Not a lot going on, but it's a light beer, what more do you?

06-24-2008 02:48:47 | More by tempest
JamesS

Indiana

2.42/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a near flat, very light straw color. It has almost no scent at all, beyond a very mild sweet, sugary aroma. Almost no taste, it was nearly like drinking water. It was very smooth, though, I have to give it that. While not a great beer, this would be great after working outside during the summer.

06-11-2008 16:44:21 | More by JamesS
I.C. Light from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.