I.C. Light - Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

I.C. LightI.C. Light

poor

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Light Lager |  4.15% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2001)

pogoowner, Dec 04, 2011

touchmeimsac, Nov 28, 2011

GennyCreamAle, Nov 17, 2011

bpfrush, Nov 15, 2011
3.43/5  rDev +40%

pours a very pale gold with 1/4" of soft, bubbly head that quickly fades to a thin lacing. There's a great deal of carbonation bubbles rising to the top. The smell is grainy with a nice grassy hop aroma. The taste is also grainy with a slight grassy hop character. There's a hint of an apple-like sweetness in the finish. Mouthfeel is light and crisp.

This is my first IC Light since leaving PA in '07. I can see why I drank so many of them back in the day. It's cheap, sessionable, and unoffensive.

tdm168, Oct 01, 2011
2.6/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: Pours a pale golden color with a billowing head that fades quickly and no lacing.

S: Faint aroma of grain with some sweetness.

T: Mild sweetness and grainy flavor. Has a aint bitterness and a fairly clean finish.

F: Light body, crisp & refreshing.

Not bad for a light beer. Good Summer beer for backyard activities.

soju6, Aug 21, 2011

A: Pours from the 12 oz bottle into a pilsner glass. The beer is perfectly clear, pale gold color. Pour produces a thin white head that fades to nothing but a ring around the glass.

S: Scent of some adjuncts gives the beer a somewhat sweet aroma. Overall the smell is pretty low, which I guess goes with the style.

T: A bit better than the scent. I get a little malty taste that comes through. No bitterness (no/little) hops? Not bitter, non offensive.

M: Not as thin and watery as some light lagers. Good carbonation, light and lively.

O: I purchased a 6 pack for $4.50. Not a bad deal. A good light lager especilly for that price. I would definitely take this over any BMC macro produced light lagers.

BigRedN, Jul 20, 2011
2.85/5  rDev +16.3%

It's Sunday evening and I need a bottle of healing after my hockey game. Had an Iron City Lite in the fridge....so why not. This beer is a typical light beer, decent flavor. The color is golden clear with thin white head and has a modest lace. There is only a weak grain nose. The taste is typical of this beer style. Mouthfeel is decent....perfect for any lawn mowing issues. Session...easily....but would prefer others...no question.

WoodBrew, Apr 18, 2011
1.4/5  rDev -42.9%

Poured this onto a glass and was assuming it'd look like a light lager. It has very little to offer the consumer. This beer goes down fairly quickly at least. As it warms it kind of starts to have an odd aroma. Drink these fast if you have too. This reminded me a lot of Miller Lite.

Knapp85, Mar 20, 2011
2.42/5  rDev -1.2%

Pale, straw yellow, and looks watery on pouring. It is a light beer, so no surprise there.

Limited foam, with no head or lace visible.

Scent is decent, malty sweet.

Tastes crisp, like a sweet corn, or maybe a cream corn (which sounds awful). Definitely adjunct here.

No evidence of hops, just a sweet malt presence.

Nothing special here, pretty plain and nothing beyond ordinary.

secondtooth, Mar 15, 2011
2.38/5  rDev -2.9%

A-light gold, almost clear. very, very thing white head. quite sad looking

S-sweet barley scent, medium strength, not THAT bad. actually decent smelling

T-very light taste of barley and honey. it tastes almost like a very smooth, light octoberfest style beer. the after-taste tastes almost of belgian sugars. this isn't a terrible light beer.

M-heavy carbonation with a slightly dry finish. definitely not a selling point

D-this is one of the better light beers i've had but its still not a great, or good, or decent beer. i'd rather see this in kegs at parties than BMC products tho.

AdamBear, Jan 05, 2011
3.33/5  rDev +35.9%

Pours a clear, light yellow color with a small amount of white bubbly head that doesn't last long.

Not much in the nose, a little corn and some yeast.

The flavor is pretty much what you would expect; corn, yeast, some sweet malt.

Light bodied, crisp and thin, high carbonation.

This was probably one of the better macros out there, not something I would buy though.

BeerCon5, Oct 19, 2010
3.03/5  rDev +23.7%

Out of a bottle, I've thought for a year or so now that this beer isn't half bad. But being the beer aficionado that I am, I have to judge it properly, and pour from the bottle into my Czech pilsner glass to allow its true character to come out, instead of letting it hide behind a perception veil that so many beers have managed to wrangle & exploit through intense marketing of poor beer etiquette. What I'm trying to say is: pour all beer in a glass.

The brew is yellow-gold. Like yellow liquid water coloring. The half-inch head that I was able to get out of the bottle quickly disappeared and left me with a sad rim. A steady flow of carbonation bubbles is rising to the top, but not at an intense pace.

Corn husk in the nose. Very dry grains. A mildly sweet undertone. Not one note of finishing hops. Could it be single-hopped? I am catching a scent of hop aroma, but it is so faint I can only imagine it is a remnant of the hops tossed in for the full boil (bittering hops).

Grainy, dry, hay-like flavor in the taste. A good level of bittering hops. Light & thin in the mouth. Dry to the tongue. Very lackluster in the malts section. I know this a light beer, but a touch of character wouldn't hurt this brew at all. Not a lot of flavor, so I'd say it has kept to style.

Pretty easy to drink, but I always counter that factor--which is evidently so important to the average beer drinker--with what is, in my opinion, more important: whether or not I actually want to drink it.

DerekP, Jul 31, 2010
3.23/5  rDev +31.8%

So I'm reviewing this right after a review of Iron City, do you think that depletes my sense? I think not.

Appearance: Average for the style. Light yellow with a foamy white head that disappears very quickly.

Smell: Smells like corn and bread, just like every other American Light Lager.

Taste: I.C. Light has slightly more taste than most of its BMC counterparts. I would say it is the most like Miller Lite if you really want to get technical but it mostly tastes like water.

M & D: As average as it gets. There is nothing that stands out at all. I could drink a twelve pack in a sitting during a Pens or Steelers game (as I have done many times) and be perfectly happy!

Notes: All in all, if you are looking for a low cal beer that is very drinkable give this a try. It is every bit as good as its BMC counter parts and it is independent.

jcm8756, Mar 24, 2010
2.63/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a light, nearly clear yellow color with a thin head into my pint glass. Seems right for the style.

Aroma is sweet and full of corn. Seems light I suppose. Not much to entice the nose.

Taste is sweet and watery or at least, those are the two characteristics that stand out. Not much in the way of malt.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering flavors as mentioned above. At least there's no harsh aftertaste or anything.

Eh, it's a light beer. What else can I say? I'm not a fan of light beers but I'm always searching (albeit fruitlessly) for a light beer other than Sam Light that I can tolerate. There just ain't no thing but if you're getting sick of BMC light beers, try this.

Brad007, Jan 10, 2010
1.2/5  rDev -51%

I picked up this single 12oz brown bottle from the Binny's in Plainfield, IL for $1.49. There was no freshness date or anything written about the beer on the label.

The beer poured the palest shade of yellow I've ever seen - any lighter and it would be water. It's crystal clear and makes a 1½ finger white head that disappears before you even set the bottle down. It doesn't even leave a thin white rim of foam on top. All trace of head completely dissipates and therefore it leaves no lacing whatsoever.

It smells like corn swetener and nothing else, but at least it's not skunky or offensive.

This tastes like sweetened seltzer water. It also has a mineral water flavor to it along with a metalic taste, even though this one comes in a glass bottle.

The mouthfeel is like takung sweetened Alka-Seltzer.

I didn't like this beer at all, and while it may be drinkable, I don't jnow why anyone would want to.

matjack85, Jan 01, 2010
2.9/5  rDev +18.4%

Not a terrible beer for most, but not my cup of tea....I usually only drink it during NHL playoffs cause the local bar offers them for a dollar during pittsburgh penguins playoff games.

A-clear yellow

S- Beer-like? its what you would think a beer would smell like

T- Small hop bite, but not great overall taste

M- nothing to speak of...little weak

D- Easy to drink, good for parties

GoalieRon33, Nov 07, 2009
2.23/5  rDev -9%

CAN you believe that I am just now getting around to reviewing THIS beer? In a CAN ...

An aggressive pour produced a finger of bone-white head with low retention. Nose was very light and slightly sweet. The color was a pale straw-yellow with NE-quality clarity. The mouthfeel was somewhat thin with a mild sweetness on the tongue. Finish was equally thin with that same sweetness that just seemed to linger. Overall, it was a pretty boring beer. Oh well. Stick to Arn!

woodychandler, Oct 31, 2009
1.83/5  rDev -25.3%

Another can of Iron city to rate from my friends trip out east.

Poured in to my pint glass the beer is crystal clear yellow. A large stark white head caps my glass then dissapates in a blink of an eye. Not that I thought there would be any but lace is not even an option.

The aroma. Who am I kidding? This beer doesn't have an aroma is has a "smell". A smell of sweet grain and corn tortilla chips.

The flavor is light for sure. More tortilla chips and a touch of hop bite.

Light body. Loads of carbonation. Dry finish.

Overall another crappy light american lager. Yawn. I'm glad my buddy thought of me and brought this home. I'm just sad he didn't grab mesomething good.

beerwolf77, Oct 29, 2009
3.38/5  rDev +38%

Here's the Pitt Light that I had consumed before finding Yuengling and liked. Now that they are brewing the bottled stuff in Latrobe, (and I haven't reviewed in in the bottle) here goes...

It poured a light yellow with no lace and first impression was water but the bubbles make it ginger ale. Not much scent, a little musty macro cheap beer scent. Smells like any other. Mouth was thin, with a corn grain aftertaste but nothing like a cheap macro. Actually just a slight hop bite too. Taste? Well, thin and any light, but the difference is, this one is pretty clean. Corn husk is light enough, minor alcohol in the middle, and slightly bitter hops. Hmmm. Yes, this is better than before, as it no longer has the slight skunk of old. I'd say this is much better than almost all the macro lights I've had. Just enough to be more than water, a lot less skunk than other light beers, I'd say, when I want a light, I'd get this.

Ricochet, Sep 02, 2009

On tap on Primant's, Pittsburgh.

The smell featured a sweet adjunct malt.

The taste was upfront sweet corn cut with a grassy hop.

The mouthfeel was toward the fuller side of the style.

Overall a decent light adjunct lager. Good local alternative.

plaid75, Aug 02, 2009
3.1/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

on tap at the 1902 Lankmark Tavern on Market Square in Pittsburgh. pours a light straw color with little to no head. no impressive in the glass.

aroma is of light grain (a bit stale) with a mildly stale character and little else. this brew would be decent in the nose if not for the stale quality of the grain.

taste follows the nose with a very smooth quality, but lacking in the aftertaste, which comes through as nothing more than stale grain. dissapointing.

mouthfeel is light with a watery texture and more of an aftertaste than a light lager should have. not very crisp upon finishing.

drinkability is decent. for a light lager, this is mediocre at best, but still refreshing on a hot day.

botham, Jun 05, 2009
2.78/5  rDev +13.5%

Had this on numerous occasions, but after getting it for a recent Penn State tailgate, I decided it needed a fair review.

A: Pours a pale yellow with a spritzy snow-white head. Tons of carbonation beads sprinting up the glass. Not really different from the Bud, Miller, Coors when it comes to the look. Maybe a tad darker.

S: Sweet cereal grains and rice. Very sweet and pale smelling, not much there. Not much hop presence, just plain cereal and rice.

T: Watery, light and sweet with pale grains and rice. Nothing out of the ordinary, but I would take this over Bud, Miller or Coors any day.

Overall, I may be bias being from Pittsburgh, but I think this beer is better than the BMCs. Not a good beer, but a beer that I can live with for tailgating and the like.

treyrab, May 05, 2009
2.53/5  rDev +3.3%

The chilled 12-ounce longneck poured into my Kolsch cylinder yields a pale golden body capped with a finger-and-a-half's thickness of bright white, slowly-fading foam. Ragged drippy rings of lacing mark the sides of the glass to commemorate the drink's passing.

The smell is mild with a touch of musty, fruity grain, black pepper, and herbal spice.

The taste is faintly grainy, but with a bitter, odd-flavored finish laced with fruity solvent.

The drink is light-bodied and an easy drinker when served at near-freezing and virtually-flavorless, but at "cellar" temperature or any warmer, IC Light is pretty much pisswater awful.

cvstrickland, Apr 28, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +35.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Light yellow color, with a thin white head (less than a finger). Sticks around... little bit of lacing on the glass.

S: Light touch of hops and sweet malts, Little steely maybe some grass notes.

T: A little more flavor here than most light beers I've had... a good balanced of malt sweetness and a little hops present... there is a slight floral note to the hops.... The steeliness is there too along with some grassy notes as well.... Little to no aftertaste.

M: Crisp & clean with a little smoothness, light bodied, high in carbonation, finish is clean.

D: I have not had a lot of Lite beers.... That being said this one had more than I was expecting from a Lite Beer.... Tasty, nicely balanced, goes down easily, and not very filling at all.... Check this one out.

mralphabet, Apr 21, 2009
I.C. Light from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.