Olde Frothingslosh - Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

Olde FrothingsloshOlde Frothingslosh

poor

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: soulfly967 on 01-07-2005)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
2.5/5  rDev -1.2%

1.4/5  rDev -44.7%

My grandfather got this beer for my collection when I was a child. The rest of my collection was nothing more than my grandpas empties. This one however was full. It had the beautiful lady on it. Quite a bit of black and yellow. He knew I was a Steeler fan and I was really in to beer cans. This beer can was my most prized beer in my collection. Circa late 1970's I kept it four years until I had the idea to drink it, What should of been my first beer review. 1.8 although it was warm as hell in an attic in Texas.

1.72/5  rDev -32%

2.25/5  rDev -11.1%

1.25/5  rDev -50.6%

2.5/5  rDev -1.2%

2.1/5  rDev -17%

The CANQuest (TM) is honored and tickled to add this gem on the approach to #1,000!

For those who may not know the backstory, in the 1950's, some of the Old Guard, especially Ballentine, started coming out with Holiday/Christmas beers and Pittsburgh B. C., still headquartered in Da ' Burgh, wanted to follow suit, but they had neither the time to develop a special recipe nor to devote tank space to one, even if they could. It was then decided to put Arn (Iron City Beer) in a special CAN and promote it as a Holiday Ale. Wiser marketing men said that this was tantamount to foul play and might result in a LOT of negative publicity, so they hit upon a more tongue-in-cheek CANpaign and so Olde Frothingslosh was born. Sir Reginald von Allegheny was their first spokesman, followed by the Divine-like Lady Fatima Yechblah, whose 300 + pound frame was squeezed into a one-piece bathing suit and photographed in "Perils of Pauline"-like poses, such as bound and gagged on railroad tracks. After a period of time, it fell out of favor and the CANs have become collectors items. In the last twenty years, they have begun to revive the brand for a new audience and I am happy to pick up the torch.

From the Color # 2 (White) CAN: "The Foam Is On the Bottom!"; "Oh My Gosh!"; "Certified to Fit Any Shape of Glass!"; "Build Your Own Sir Reg [-] Stack Two and Twist a Brew"; "This Bottom Up [with arrow]"; "Hippity Hops Makes It Tops!"; "Includes Free Liquid Inside!"

The Crack! unveiled a brimful CAN, surprisingly. An inverted Glug was needed to get the bottom right-side up and never had a beer cried out for such treatment. Once it was empty, I realized that I had been cheated! There was NO free liquid inside, perhaps in a little pouch. But no, I had been made to pay for every bit of it and they will be hearing from my solicitor, recently returned from Florida, by the way. My nonsense resulted in a finger of bone-white head that quickly began to fall away, leaving nice lacing in its wake. Color was a golden-yellow (SRM = 4 to 5) with NE-quality clarity and my old pals, Croesus, Mammon and Midas were suddenly in attendance. This time, however, there was no fighting as they were too busy laughing. This is not a beer to be taken seriously. The nose smelled even worse than usual, as though the Minhas Cybermen had gotten to Sir Reginald. I was getting cheap perfume, pink bubble gum, plastics factory, dry cleaning plant. Oof. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the taste was not as bad as the nose, although how CAN it be? Even so, it was not very pleasant, which is surprising, since I usually like Arn, so maybe they are using a different recipe. Finish was semi-dry and I was CANtemplating just how to divest myself of the rest of the 30-pack. Anyone have Colors 1 or 3 for trade? I would like at least two of each. No, really.

2.43/5  rDev -4%

A: Fizzy. Sticky foam with a lasting head. Cloudy , murky yellow.

S: Earthy with a cooked grain mix. Don't get much else

M: A bit of the bitter on the edge of the mouth with a lot of water in the middle and water wash. Just a little foam.

T: Well, I finally got to try this. I didn't want a 24 pack or the extra cost so when I found a six pack while I was in Chicago, I figured no problem. Trouble is, I'm not that sure this isn't really old. I believe it's dated 2013 Feb. It doesn't taste like it turned but maybe it's showing it's age. It's slight hops were barely noticeable. It had a slight candy like flavor but the wine edge peeked through. It's light with enough flavor to feel, well, like drinking a light beer.

O: Even if this was old, I don't think there is enough to make me come back.

3.75/5  rDev +48.2%

3.05/5  rDev +20.6%

From can...different design.
Pours a clear gold with big head that disappears to a small foam island and lace.Aroma of straw, minerals, musky malts.
Moderate carbonation and mouthfeel.
Flavors of light malts, straw hops, minerals, subtle pepper, wheat. Overall light and somewhat watery but not bad.

2.98/5  rDev +17.8%

12 oz can.

Pours a light clear gold with a sudsy white head that dissipates quickly.

Smells of light barley malts and corn sugar sweetness.

Crisp barley malts with some mildly rich sweetness and somewhat bitter dry lagery hops.

Light to medium body with a tingly carbonation.

An average pale lager, not as good as Yuengling but better than the macros for my money. It is what it is and if you just want a cheap lager, you could do worse.

2.63/5  rDev +4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I had heard about this beer for years but never tried it. Only have found it in cans so after puting it in a glass it seemed to have quite a lot of carbination. It had a nice smell but kind of a bitter taste. It was strong on the tongue and not a beer i would drink all nite but a couple was ok. I guess they started making it again but im not sure why it is ok but not something to go out of your way to try. overall i thought it was a bit overpriced for what it is. Slightly darker then a true light colored beer. average at best, the name is better then the beer itself.

2.91/5  rDev +15%

Extremely thick malt sweet tone on the nose, with an almost apple juice kind of thing that you would know exactly what I was talking about when you got a whiff of it. Flavor is heavy with the sweet malts too. That's about all I am really getting here is a sweet malty lager bomb. Carbonation seems high. This is pretty typical for a lager, and the brewery. I think it's something a lot of people might like, but not ye olde beer nerds.

3.03/5  rDev +19.8%

Olde Frothingslosh

LOOK: Clear yellow, fizzy yellow head leaving lace.

SMELL: Sweet pale malts. Pretty light nose.

TASTE: Crisp, clean creamy malt flavor. Light hops. Basic refreshing lager beer here, no frills, but good.

FEEL: Almost medium bodied, pretty damn respectable.

OVERALL: In parts of Pittsburgh and surrounding area, old timers frequently comment on their love of this beer. They would say it only came around for the holidays. I was excited try this. This is a really average lager in all regards but it is inexpensive.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Olde Frothingslosh from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.