Penn's Best N.A. - Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

Penn's Best N.A.Penn's Best N.A.

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Suds on 02-13-2005)
2.75/5  rDev +5%

4.95/5  rDev +88.9%

I drank O'dules Amber for many years,and my store was out of Amber.

Penn's Best was next to the Amber space It was made in Pennsylvania and I was aware of the beer brands Pittsburgh Brewing made so I tried it.
Penn's Best is now my favorite N/A beer and the price is very good.

2.23/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head and high carbonation. Smell is very mild, some corn notes. Taste is virtually non-existent, nothing offensive, just very weak beer flavored water. Feels light in the mouth and overall left me wanting a beer.

1.55/5  rDev -40.8%

Poured a typical straw yellow with a rocky white head that faded fast to a ring around the edge
Smells sweet and reminds me of white grape juice, yep thats all I pull from it.
Taste.... Take 1 part cheap beer, 1 part white grape juice and about 8 parts water and that's what this tastes like. Nasty in my opinion, If I had to give up beer this would never be an option.
Mouthfeel is a but heavier than say water or coors light and well carbonated.
This is just not drinkable, it's torture I feel bad for the sink drain even.
Thanks Woody...

CAN you believe that this is my sixth NA beer of the afternoon and in CANs, no less?!? I will be glad to take a break, however.

I got it poured into a glass, I left it briefly to settle so that I could pour the remainder out of the CAN and the head completely disappeared! Color was an odd pale golden-yellow. It was not as light as lemon-yellow, nor was it as deep as a gold. Interesting, plus it had NE-quality clarity, which is expected. Nose was cereal sweet, but I am thinking that is more the standard for the style and almost to be expected. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a light lager-like taste on the tongue. Finish was lightly sweet and somewhat tasty. Not bad, but not cooler worthy, either.

2.45/5  rDev -6.5%

Penn's Best N.A. is a Low Alchol Beer Made by the Pittsburgh Brewing Co. I got may hands on some of these for free and said why not. Little to No head to this beer. Taste and mouthfeel are just like beer and a ton of water. I would drink this it I had no beer or money. This beer is just what it is Low alcohol.

2.53/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance: Pours up a clear, yellow body with no more than a thin, dispiriting ring of white bubbles on top.

Smell: Incredibly mild, clean nose with only the faintest hint of sweet malts and little else.

Taste: Just a mere hint of light pale malts with a mere shadow of perceived sweetness and imparted graininess. Transient hint of ill-defined hop character and almost nil bitterness. Quick, clean, but weak finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium carbonation. Watery, why-don't-I-just-drink-water mouthfeel.

Drinkability: So clean and mild that it's a very empty experience. If a fine beer is a rich, vibrant oil painting, than an NA beer is a blank sheet of white paper.

2.48/5  rDev -5.3%

12oz can

A- Pours a pale golden yellow color with a white head that actually leaves a pretty decent amount of lace and retention.

S- The aroma is a faint amount of grain with just a touch of hops. There's not much going on in the aroma. It's pretty faint and barely smells like beer.

T- The taste is light and crisp with some grainy malt and a small hint of hops in the finish. Not bad, there's nothing really offensive in the taste but it does lack in flavor.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a high amount of carbonation.

D- The drinkability is obviously pretty high considering the low amount of alcohol. It is a decent No Alcohol beer that is one of the better that I have had within the style.

1.78/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appears a pale straw hue with a large white quickly dwindling head. Aromatics provide tart acidity and mild corn and rice sweetness. I'm also getting some apple juice like tones as well, kinda smells like a Jolly Pumpkin brew minus the oak barrel effects, yeah right. Flavor is no really beer like again more tartness mild sweetness some apple juice like flavors arise in the taste. No real hop character going on, yep another nonalcoholic brew not worth drinking. I picked this one up for my pregnant wife while on vactation as a novelty. Mouthfeel is carbonated water. Drinkability overall is piss poor, what's the point. At least if it tasted good we need some non alcoholic imperial ipa's on the market.

3.18/5  rDev +21.4%

I liked OM's NA and agree that it was one of the best NA's I've had. Now, there's a new NA in cheaptown that I can buy late-night from a grocer in Pitt.

This was 2.49 for a 6 pack! It wasn't chokeable and resembled Sterling. It was a funny note that I could not guess, and then it came to me. Sterling without alcohol. But for an NA, I'd rate it much better compared to Sterling, also compared to OMNA, a close second.

It was a darker amber, a plus. It smelled sweet, but there were hops there, almost exactly like OM. Mouth? Beer. A little bit heavy on the carbonation and a little sharpness of soda water scores against it.

Taste, well, does it have any? Yes, it's hops, it's grain, it is a beer like substance, better than some of the other NA's. I guess the label "All Natural Ingredients: Water, Malt, Yeast, Hops"...means there are no adjuncts, and it doesn't have a nasty cheap beer aftertaste, but all NA's thus far had that "missing element", expected.

For the price, you know, this really is a pretty decent NA so it gets a higher score for price/drinkability. It's another NA I'd pick up if OMNA is not available.

2.48/5  rDev -5.3%

Totally clear medium yellow. No head. No bubbles that I could see, no wait, there are a few. Smell is a little less overt than city water, but nothing foul. Taste is watery malt, more water than malt. No hops. Again, nothing foul, no skunkiness, no off flavors, just nothing assertive. Mouthfeel is thin, extremely watery. This can be consumed, but it doesn't taste much like beer. The O'Douls Premium was better.

Ready for the price? 89 cents for a can at Total Wine in Midlothian.

2.78/5  rDev +6.1%

picked up a six-pack to use as spacers for a Sunday afternoon picnic. Poured a medium amber color with white puffy head. Smells a little sweet with some malt noted. Taste is extremely light, but at least not offensvive. Finishes very refreshing. For an NA beer, this one is pretty good.

1.95/5  rDev -25.6%

My wife picked this up from the supermarket the other day. Granted, I didn’t expect much, but this is a fairly drinkable NA beer. It’s light yellow, with excessive carbonation. Thin head that quickly falls to nothingness. It’s got the expected wateriness, and the look and feel of an adjunct lager. Aroma and finish have a nice hoppiness, and there’s a grainy feel to the beer as well. I’m not asking her to buy any more (still not sure what she was thinking), but it wasn’t undrinkable.

Penn's Best N.A. from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.