Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Iron City Beer - Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

Iron City BeerIron City Beer

poor

awful

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 02-01-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Iron City Beer Alström Bros
2.33/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

This is almost like a poorly done Budweiser. It has a clear urine yellow hue. Smells sweet of antifreeze. Pithy white head. Tastes sweet and cant even mask its 4.5%abv. Ive had 9% beers that are smoother than this. It tastes like antifreeze too. Poorly done rice piss. (268 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +39%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Iron City Beer brewed by Pittsburgh Brewing Co., with an ABV of 4.50% This brew pours out a nice amber color, with a nice a nice white head. This brew has the look of most American Larges on the market. Not saying that is a bad thing. The smell of Iron City is rich with grain, malts and a hit of hops. There is nothing bad so far. Now for the taste, it is bold with flavors. You pick up on grains and malts. the mouthfeel of Iron City is smooth and rich. There is nothing bad about this brew, but nothing great. It is a nice drinking brew. Iron City has a nice balance to it. Overall I'm giving Iron city a 3.50 out 5. I would buy this brew again. Pittsburgh Brewing Co., did a nice job with brew. It is not the worst but not the best I have had. (756 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A widely available beer here in WV, ICB is somewhat popular here and there throughout the state. It seems to be hit or miss for most people since many I know don't like it, but it's my wife's favorite. I give it a slightly better than average rating as I think it's smoother and has a better aftertaste than most big names out there. It's worth a shot, especially at a Pirates game. (382 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -5.1%

Bettis Grille in Pittsburgh. No cans, so had a bottle. Local classic. Had to try one (and only one). Great bar beer. Glad I had it, but also glad it doesn't have wide distribution. (181 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -15.4%

I wouldn't say it's horrible. I can drink it and don't feel the need to make a face.
It's better than some I've had.
Drank it from a 16oz can. I don't see the point of pouring in a glass when the smell is probably best avoided.
It's a very plain beer. Nothing much to talk about. Has an inoffensive taste, but you might notice a somewhat creamy mouthfeel, which doesn't really feel it suits the taste.

Regardless, if it were at a party, I'd take it instead of a budweiser any day. (484 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +28%

It really only comes into it's own when you drop a shot of Jack Daniels into it and guzzle it down. Cuts through the dirt and dust of a hard day's work and makes you proud to be a Steeler's fan. (194 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -11.4%

Out of the can it pours the typical yellow tinge of an American Adjunct Lager - nothing overly special. The scent of the brew is just not appealing to me. However, I did note some hints of citrus and spice in the overall flavor mixing well with the hops - so that was a plus. Overall it's not quite okay, but it's certainly not the worst I've had. (352 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +20.1%

This beer is a comfort beer for me. I grew up around Pittsburgh and Iron City was alway supporting the local sports teams (Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins). I like it because it reminds me of my favorite city, Pittsburgh!, or should I say Sixburgh. (250 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +22%

Sampling right now on 7/31/14. Never had this one before but heard about it. Paid $1.29 for the bottle. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a flute glass.

Pours a hazy honey yellow in color with a thin white head. Some spotty lacing was seen with each sip but settled back down the sides of the glass. The aroma is of sweet corn for the most part. The taste is about the same and actually surprised how sweet this beer is! Sweet corn and grains for the most part. Very slight dry finish. Overall, it was just OK. (548 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -53.5%

I made the mistake of trying this beer with a buddy of mine who claimed that it was a "classic." I'm not going to waste time with an in depth review but believe me when I say that it was the worst beer I've ever had. Maybe I shouldn't have tried it after having drank several good craft brews before allowing it to pass my lips. I'm not 100% sure. Either way, it won't be something I drink again unless it's In post apocalyptic world and it's the only beer I can find. The only thing good about Iron City was the laugh it provided my buddy as I spit it out. (557 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -27.6%

Honey straw color with a big bubbled head. Settles into frothy cap.

Corn and cooked veggies. Light sulfur creamed corn.

Creamed corn and cookies veggies. Slight tin note. Quite sweet.

Light and watery. Sweet on the palate. Perhaps a slight dry note in the finish but not very crisp.

Not very good. Not even crisp which is hard not to do for the style. (358 characters)

1.42/5  rDev -44.1%

Tastes the same going in as it does going out. Avoid unless you're deeply (and delusionally) nostalgic. If you gotta go Pennsylvanian, then go Yuengling or Troegs or even Rolling Rock before you go here. Pitt has a lot of other things going for it: Warhol, Stellers, U Pitt, etc. The beer ain't one of those things. (315 characters)

I have to qualify my feelings about IC beer. I do NOT like heavy hops IPA beers. A lot of mentions of ICB tasting like piss. I've never drunk piss, but I imagine the piss of an old drunk would taste like an IPA. I drink beer because I'm thirsty and I like a little buzz when I'm home on the weekends. ICB is refreshing, and doesn't make me want to go gargle to get rid of the obnoxious taste in my throat. Somebody mentioned PBR in their comparison with ICB. I really don't care for the the taste of PBR, or a heavy IPA when I'm thirsty, and that's the only time I drink beer. I don't give a crap about the head and how long it lasts - could we be a little more pretentious? Lacing? JC Almighty - it's BEER. I like a beer without a sour aftertaste, like most IPA's I've tried. I like Iron City Beer. I don't know what's wrong with your noses, I have never smelled any of the odors others have described. Maybe they should pick there noses and blow them before they drink. I wish ICB was distributed in VA, but it isn't. When my MIL was still alive, and we'd go visit her, I'd bring back 6 cases of IC Light, and a couple of regular IC. Beer drinkers that try to act like wine connoisseurs are a little over the top for me. It's beer, enjoy it when you're thirsty. If you want to get drunk drink Jack. I find is tastes and, smells very good, and it is refreshing. (1,362 characters)

2.61/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a crystal clear pale to medium yellow in color with heavy amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass along with some faint light golden yellow highlights. The beer has a finger tall foamy bright white head that reduces to a thick film covering the entire surface of the beer with a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of cereal grain malts with light amounts of grainy sweetness and some corn adjuncts.

T: Upfront there is a moderate flavor of cereal grain malts with light to moderate amounts of grainy sweetness and just a hint of corn adjuncts as well. Almost no noticeable hops present, just the faintest hint of floral hops with no bitterness present.

M: Just heavier than light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation.

O: It is not as bad as some of the other offerings in the style (especially the BMC offerings). I could easily put back a couple of these when tailgating with grilled foods but not really interesting enough to have regularly. (1,080 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -20.5%

I usually drink IPA's but I decided to drink Iron City because I found myself in Pennsylvania and you know... "When in Rome"... Bad idea. My aunt was bragging about this stuff and I wanted to see what had to it.

My first mistake was probably getting it in can form, It had a slightly skunky metallic odor to it. Much Like a can of Steel Reserve. Right then and there I decided not to bother pouring it into a glass, I didn't want to dirty another dish for nothing. The taste screams "malt liquor" only it doesn't have all the alcohol percentage to make up for the bad taste. The flavor I can only describe as if someone cooled a molten rod of steel into some watered down horse piss. It had a carbonation sting at the tip of my tongue and coats the back of my throat like phlegm from a mild cold. And then, after only one beer comes the headache. It was 9.50 for a 12 pack, I could have made a better choice but I wanted to try something new. I probably wont drink it again unless a tribal chief of headhunters gave it to me as a gift and I was afraid of insulting them by not drinking it therefore having my head wind up on a pike. (1,133 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.25

I'm not going to give a thorough and scientific review of this beer. We all know as a beer, this is utter crap. BUT. If you're a loyal Pittsburgher, this is THE BEER. I can't explain it. We know there are plenty of MUCH better beers out there. But if you're watching the Stillers, the Pens, and even the Bucco's, this is the beer you want in your hand- Out of the bottle, straight outta Giant Eagle. This is the beer you order when you go to Permanti's. This is the beer you would order at Eat n Park if Eat n Park served beer. It's a staple of Pittsburgh(and Pittsburgh expats) households everywhere! We're proud of everything Pittsburgh and this beer is as Pittsburgh as it gets! It very well may be water from the Mon', but we love it! It very well may be absolute swill, but we love it! It very well may be the most caustic man-made concoction ever brewed, but we love it!

Okay, it says i need to make more words so... GO STEELERS! GO PENS! GO BUCS! GO STEELERS! GO PENS! GO BUCS! GO STEELERS! GO PENS! GO BUCS! GO STEELERS! GO PENS! GO BUCS! GO STEELERS! GO PENS! GO BUCS! GO STEELERS! GO PENS! GO BUCS! GO STEELERS! GO PENS! GO BUCS! GO STEELERS! GO PENS! GO BUCS! GO STEELERS! GO PENS! GO BUCS! GO STEELERS! GO PENS! GO BUCS! GO STEELERS! GO PENS! GO BUCS! GO STEELERS! GO PENS! GO BUCS! GO PITTSBURGH!!! (1,313 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -23.6%

I have to post at least 250 words, so I guess my original review wasn't long enough.

I've had this on tap and in a bottle. It looks and tastes pretty much carbonated water right out of the Allegheny with yellow food coloring added to give it flare. You could drink this all night long and not get drunk. There's no body to it at all and it just smells awful.

Yes, it's horrible.

But who cares? It's Iron City. Just shut up and drink it like a man. (451 characters)

2.69/5  rDev +5.9%

A- Pours a medium-light yellow, not quite pale straw yellow, but close. Small, one finger head that actually retains pretty well down to a thin film. Lacing is ok.

S- Pretty much offensive. Very light malt flavors are about the only scent outside of a general skunky smell. Dull, metallic scents are also in there at the end.

T- Pretty much like the scent. Starts with some decent light malts but moves right into a dull sort of bitter/skunky flavor that is pretty bad. Moves into a slight metallic pang of flavor at the end, and then ends in a forgettable manner.

M- Light and highly carbonated. Surprisingly smooth for a lighter adjunct lager. Highly drinkable if you can get over the flavor and scent.

Overall, this is basically what I expect out of Pittsburgh, a subpar beer. Oh well, they give us the Steelers, ans this. Not really sure which one is less offensive frankly. (882 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Can-to-mouth.

A: N/A except for looking at foam residue on the rim, looks normal enough for the genre. Give it an average score but I'm not putting much weight in this category.

S: Honest to FSM, Iron City from the can is easily the worst-smelling beer I've ever encountered, and I'm from Wisconsin, where some terrible brews are major industries (yes, we brew some excellent ones as well) ... so that's saying quite a bit. Beyond skunky. Ranks down there with "last place in a felching contest". A legitimate "1" but I gave it a 1.25 in case they decide to do an anniversary edition and lower the bar even further. Pretty sure the empties are covered under EPA Superfunding.

T: Not-so-unexpectedly, the overwhelming scent makes it nearly impossible to get a good bead on the taste. Holding my nose closed didn't help a ~whole~ lot, but it did improve the experience, if only marginally. Very similar to the taste of all of the other watery, yellow domestics -- which are 2s in my book -- but I couldn't shake the scent from my taste buds so it's a 1.5.

M: Again, no significant differentiation from watery, yellow domestic, which are 2s in my book.

O: *sigh* I'm feeling generous. 1.75 since it had a bit of utility as a quick fix to the age old "Why don't we have any beer?" conundrum. Everyone should try drinking a 12 oz.er at least once in his/her life, just to know where some of the lower-limits on industrial beer production exist. (1,444 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -6.3%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

I've been circling this one like an uninterested ticking vulture (an endangered species) for a while now, only now getting around to actually trying it. Gotta love mixed sixers, amiright? This stuff pours a clear straw topped by a finger of relatively short-lived off-white foam. The nose comprises sweet corn, lightly funky wheat, and hard water. The taste brings in more of the same, along with a strange twinge of lemon-like fruit that just seems out of place and enhances a heretofore low-lying metallic quality. The body is fairly light, with a light moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, a limp little beer, one that just makes me wonder why I'm not just drinking water. (721 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +40.9%

Pale, even for an adjunct lager-looks more like a light lager. Looks can be deceiving though, as the aroma is a complex mix of corn and caramel with some bready notes. Taste is heavy on the corn and grain at first, with some apple coming through as the beer gets warmer. Very dry flavor with no noticeable must or bitterness. From what I recall of the canned version, which I had last winter, this one is a lot more pleasant to drink. (434 characters)

2.78/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a medium golden color with a billowy white head. The head had a surprising amount of retention but eventually faded to give only a very light amount of lacing.

Smell – Corn and lighter caramel aromas are the heaviest (although still rather light). There is a very light metallic aroma mixed in as well.

Taste – A sweeter corn and a decent bready malt flavor meet the tongue. There is a little bit of caramel that works its way in toward the middle of the taste, hiding some of the corn. A bit of the corn works its way back in and the caramel, corn and malt take the taste to the end.

Mouthfeel – Lighter bodied with a medium level of carbonation. Very average for a lager and very fitting for the style.

Overall – Mostly an average American adjunct lager but possibly a slight bit above average as its flavors are a bit on the more potent and easy drinking side. (933 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a 12oz twist-off bottle into a mug

A: A vigorous pours yields a foamy white head of one finger which fades to nothing over the course of a minute. Clear straw color with plenty of visible carbonation.

S: Light grains and a mild tangy scent, maybe citrus?

T: Fresh grains and sweet adjuncts are the main flavors. Very lightly hopped and a clean finish.

M: Light bodied with mild, soft carbonation. Very easy to drink.

O: Tastes pretty much like a macro, maybe slightly better. Very light and easy to drink. If you're looking for something cheap to drink while mowing the lawn and aren't in the mood for PBR, this is an apt replacement. (651 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +41.7%

Decent mainstream lager. Light hopped and kind of sweet. No lingering after taste.

Every bottle or can is kind-of an adventure because there seems to be a lack of consistency.

If your going to drink other undistinguished beers like Budweiser, Pabst, or Miller, give Iron City a shot. (286 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +51.6%

Every now and again I'm surpised when I try a beer that gets poor reviews on Beer Advocate.

Iron City isn't a spectacular beers. It's not special in almost any way. It has a commonplace yellow color. It doesn't have much aroma. But, it's a perfectly delicious session lager.

Compared to major brands one might fill a cooler with for the beach, Iron City stacks up nicely - and beats them all. Barbequeing outside? A nice beer to stand with next to the grill.

Iron City won't win any brewing medals, but keep a six pack in the fridge and you won't find anyone turning it down at a party. (590 characters)

Iron City Beer from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.