Iron City Beer - Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

Iron City BeerIron City Beer

poor

awful

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: maxpower on 02-01-2002)
View: Beers (14) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Iron City Beer Alström Bros
Dcbelkot

01-20-2013 00:31:10 | More by Mark88
KerryCummins1977

05-14-2013 20:56:03 | More by KerryCummins1977
QinVA

I have to qualify my feelings about IC beer. I do NOT like heavy hops IPA beers. A lot of mentions of ICB tasting like piss. I've never drunk piss, but I imagine the piss of an old drunk would taste like an IPA. I drink beer because I'm thirsty and I like a little buzz when I'm home on the weekends. ICB is refreshing, and doesn't make me want to go gargle to get rid of the obnoxious taste in my throat. Somebody mentioned PBR in their comparison with ICB. I really don't care for the the taste of PBR, or a heavy IPA when I'm thirsty, and that's the only time I drink beer. I don't give a crap about the head and how long it lasts - could we be a little more pretentious? Lacing? JC Almighty - it's BEER. I like a beer without a sour aftertaste, like most IPA's I've tried. I like Iron City Beer. I don't know what's wrong with your noses, I have never smelled any of the odors others have described. Maybe they should pick there noses and blow them before they drink. I wish ICB was distributed in VA, but it isn't. When my MIL was still alive, and we'd go visit her, I'd bring back 6 cases of IC Light, and a couple of regular IC. Beer drinkers that try to act like wine connoisseurs are a little over the top for me. It's beer, enjoy it when you're thirsty. If you want to get drunk drink Jack. I find is tastes and, smells very good, and it is refreshing.

10-18-2013 23:20:52 | More by QinVA
keifffff

3.95/5  rDev +58%

Ok, I love Iron City. It may be from the history or something, I don't know. Always loved drinking it at Steelers games, so I may be a little biased. I still like though. Have to admit, have not tried it since it is now brewed in Latrobe. It may not be the same, but I have always thought Iron City is what represents Pittsburgh. It has been there since the the 1800's.

01-03-2010 03:02:33 | More by keifffff
Roderick

3.93/5  rDev +57.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Here is my great sin...I love Iron City

I waited years before I finally got my first taste and even now I weigh all mass-market beers against its clean every-man taste.
It has a clear yellow color and decent head with a slight sweet hoppy smell that tells you this isnt some fancey micro-brew.
The taste is pure old school americana, best served ICE cold and enjoyed after you finish up the lawn. To me this is heads above the Buds or Coors products and yes even over the new trendyness of Miller.
Paid: $3.99 for a 6pk

07-25-2004 18:08:46 | More by Roderick
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.88/5  rDev +55.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle purchased in Fort Lauderdale, Florida (not sold in Louisiana). Iron City Beer has an almost nonexistent, white head, and a clear, golden-yellow, fairly bubbly appearance, and very little lacing. The aroma is a subtle grain, and taste is of sweet grain, biscuit, grass, and a touch of hop bitterness at the back end of the sip. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Iron City finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and dry. Drinkability is quite high with this. Overall, I think it's a good American-style lager, and I suggest you try it.

RJT

08-28-2011 15:13:06 | More by RonaldTheriot
WesWes

3.88/5  rDev +55.2%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a dry pale malt scent along with a lager yeast aroma. I guess there are adjuncts present, but it seems maltier than most macros. The taste is good. It has a smooth, crisp pale malt flavor that goes down easy and finishes dry and clean. It has good flavor for a macro lager. It's not at all watery. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low/medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a good lager. Everyone always jokes about this beer, but I like it. It's a good drinker.

06-01-2005 22:09:35 | More by WesWes
IronGiant

3.88/5  rDev +55.2%

Every now and again I'm surpised when I try a beer that gets poor reviews on Beer Advocate.

Iron City isn't a spectacular beers. It's not special in almost any way. It has a commonplace yellow color. It doesn't have much aroma. But, it's a perfectly delicious session lager.

Compared to major brands one might fill a cooler with for the beach, Iron City stacks up nicely - and beats them all. Barbequeing outside? A nice beer to stand with next to the grill.

Iron City won't win any brewing medals, but keep a six pack in the fridge and you won't find anyone turning it down at a party.

03-04-2012 04:07:31 | More by IronGiant
gwiedman1

3.75/5  rDev +50%

12-15-2013 20:06:23 | More by gwiedman1
TrouserSneeze

3.75/5  rDev +50%

My younger son lives in Pittsburgh, and I buy a couple of cases each time that I visit him. (I haven't found it anywhere here in Rochester).

It pours a nice head, and leaves lacing on the side of the mug. Just right carbonation.

I like this beer a lot. It tastes good with food, and I find it to be very refreshing. I'm worried about the brewery and hope that the bankrupcy judge doesn't pull the plug on them.

11-16-2006 20:16:59 | More by TrouserSneeze
jddabull

3.65/5  rDev +46%

Decent mainstream lager. Light hopped and kind of sweet. No lingering after taste.

Every bottle or can is kind-of an adventure because there seems to be a lack of consistency.

If your going to drink other undistinguished beers like Budweiser, Pabst, or Miller, give Iron City a shot.

04-07-2012 01:19:36 | More by jddabull
keeganfrank

3.58/5  rDev +43.2%

Pale, even for an adjunct lager-looks more like a light lager. Looks can be deceiving though, as the aroma is a complex mix of corn and caramel with some bready notes. Taste is heavy on the corn and grain at first, with some apple coming through as the beer gets warmer. Very dry flavor with no noticeable must or bitterness. From what I recall of the canned version, which I had last winter, this one is a lot more pleasant to drink.

07-01-2012 16:30:05 | More by keeganfrank
ATPete

3.58/5  rDev +43.2%

12oz glass bottle

IC! finally in Jersey!

It pours a transparent yellow with a decent looking foamy white head and some visible rising carbonation. It sports the classic macro-malt nose with a citrusy hop presence, bonus. Its everything you'd expect from a crisp, clean American lager, nothing out of the ordinary here. A great choice if you have to pick a beer to drink all day. Good balance, great drinkability.

07-27-2008 18:19:27 | More by ATPete
jayc333

Ontario (Canada)

3.55/5  rDev +42%

Poured a dark golden yellow with a two finger frothy white head. Tons of tiny bubbles rise to the top, and the head lowers slowly before becoming a nice lace.

Very strong smelling. Hints of citrus present through the hoppy nose. However, it isn't much better then any other macro.

Hmm, not too bad tasting at all. Mellow citrus balanced with some sweet malt. I quite like it.

Watery and a little over-carbonated mouthfeel. In other words, just like your typical macro.

To me, this is just like any other macro but with a better appearance, and a lot better taste. I can see myself buying again as a session brew.

Serving type: can

02-25-2006 21:09:37 | More by jayc333
scoobybrew

Indiana

3.53/5  rDev +41.2%

Poured into a crystal pilsner flute (don't get to use these very often!). It has a very light golden color with a thin head that becomes a thin lace very quickly. It has a faint malt aroma, almost no hop scent. In all honesty, it has almost no aroma at all. Upon tasting though, the hops are evident immediately, followed by the malt. It has a smooth hop finish. The taste is very crisp and sharp overall. The body is light with low carbonation.

I think this is a decent lager and would make an excellent session beer. This one’s smooth and crisp and indicative of the style. Too bad most mass-produced American lagers aren't like this one, definitely worth the purchase.

05-14-2006 20:35:01 | More by scoobybrew
TaylorK

11-13-2012 23:16:35 | More by TaylorK
flatspin187

3.5/5  rDev +40%

This is coming from a guy that live in Kentucky.. im not saying this because it is a local fav. im saying this b/c its the truth.. This beer is not a bad beer at all.. It was one of the first beers to come in a aluminium bottle.. I tried the beer at a restraunt that served pizza.. and it went well with a good meat me pizza... I cant really describe the color of it cuz it was still in the bottle.. but the smell and taste in my opinion was way better than any bud. coors.. or miller brands.. which i know to a lot of ppl doesnt mean shit.. but to some ppl that means a lot.. i would recommend trying one..

Serving type: can

01-23-2006 00:51:43 | More by flatspin187
BDF2000

04-30-2013 20:17:46 | More by BDF2000
Cody552

02-04-2013 01:55:49 | More by Cody552
Iron City Beer from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.