Iron City Beer - Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

Iron City BeerIron City Beer

poor

awful

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 02-01-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Iron City Beer Alström Bros

I have to qualify my feelings about IC beer. I do NOT like heavy hops IPA beers. A lot of mentions of ICB tasting like piss. I've never drunk piss, but I imagine the piss of an old drunk would taste like an IPA. I drink beer because I'm thirsty and I like a little buzz when I'm home on the weekends. ICB is refreshing, and doesn't make me want to go gargle to get rid of the obnoxious taste in my throat. Somebody mentioned PBR in their comparison with ICB. I really don't care for the the taste of PBR, or a heavy IPA when I'm thirsty, and that's the only time I drink beer. I don't give a crap about the head and how long it lasts - could we be a little more pretentious? Lacing? JC Almighty - it's BEER. I like a beer without a sour aftertaste, like most IPA's I've tried. I like Iron City Beer. I don't know what's wrong with your noses, I have never smelled any of the odors others have described. Maybe they should pick there noses and blow them before they drink. I wish ICB was distributed in VA, but it isn't. When my MIL was still alive, and we'd go visit her, I'd bring back 6 cases of IC Light, and a couple of regular IC. Beer drinkers that try to act like wine connoisseurs are a little over the top for me. It's beer, enjoy it when you're thirsty. If you want to get drunk drink Jack. I find is tastes and, smells very good, and it is refreshing. (1,362 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +53.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Here is my great sin...I love Iron City

I waited years before I finally got my first taste and even now I weigh all mass-market beers against its clean every-man taste.
It has a clear yellow color and decent head with a slight sweet hoppy smell that tells you this isnt some fancey micro-brew.
The taste is pure old school americana, best served ICE cold and enjoyed after you finish up the lawn. To me this is heads above the Buds or Coors products and yes even over the new trendyness of Miller.
Paid: $3.99 for a 6pk (526 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +53.5%

Ok, I love Iron City. It may be from the history or something, I don't know. Always loved drinking it at Steelers games, so I may be a little biased. I still like though. Have to admit, have not tried it since it is now brewed in Latrobe. It may not be the same, but I have always thought Iron City is what represents Pittsburgh. It has been there since the the 1800's. (369 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +51.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle purchased in Fort Lauderdale, Florida (not sold in Louisiana). Iron City Beer has an almost nonexistent, white head, and a clear, golden-yellow, fairly bubbly appearance, and very little lacing. The aroma is a subtle grain, and taste is of sweet grain, biscuit, grass, and a touch of hop bitterness at the back end of the sip. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Iron City finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and dry. Drinkability is quite high with this. Overall, I think it's a good American-style lager, and I suggest you try it.

RJT (563 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +51.6%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a dry pale malt scent along with a lager yeast aroma. I guess there are adjuncts present, but it seems maltier than most macros. The taste is good. It has a smooth, crisp pale malt flavor that goes down easy and finishes dry and clean. It has good flavor for a macro lager. It's not at all watery. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low/medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a good lager. Everyone always jokes about this beer, but I like it. It's a good drinker. (596 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +51.6%

Every now and again I'm surpised when I try a beer that gets poor reviews on Beer Advocate.

Iron City isn't a spectacular beers. It's not special in almost any way. It has a commonplace yellow color. It doesn't have much aroma. But, it's a perfectly delicious session lager.

Compared to major brands one might fill a cooler with for the beach, Iron City stacks up nicely - and beats them all. Barbequeing outside? A nice beer to stand with next to the grill.

Iron City won't win any brewing medals, but keep a six pack in the fridge and you won't find anyone turning it down at a party. (590 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +45.7%

My younger son lives in Pittsburgh, and I buy a couple of cases each time that I visit him. (I haven't found it anywhere here in Rochester).

It pours a nice head, and leaves lacing on the side of the mug. Just right carbonation.

I like this beer a lot. It tastes good with food, and I find it to be very refreshing. I'm worried about the brewery and hope that the bankrupcy judge doesn't pull the plug on them. (416 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +41.7%

Decent mainstream lager. Light hopped and kind of sweet. No lingering after taste.

Every bottle or can is kind-of an adventure because there seems to be a lack of consistency.

If your going to drink other undistinguished beers like Budweiser, Pabst, or Miller, give Iron City a shot. (286 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +40.9%

Pale, even for an adjunct lager-looks more like a light lager. Looks can be deceiving though, as the aroma is a complex mix of corn and caramel with some bready notes. Taste is heavy on the corn and grain at first, with some apple coming through as the beer gets warmer. Very dry flavor with no noticeable must or bitterness. From what I recall of the canned version, which I had last winter, this one is a lot more pleasant to drink. (434 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +39%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Iron City Beer brewed by Pittsburgh Brewing Co., with an ABV of 4.50% This brew pours out a nice amber color, with a nice a nice white head. This brew has the look of most American Larges on the market. Not saying that is a bad thing. The smell of Iron City is rich with grain, malts and a hit of hops. There is nothing bad so far. Now for the taste, it is bold with flavors. You pick up on grains and malts. the mouthfeel of Iron City is smooth and rich. There is nothing bad about this brew, but nothing great. It is a nice drinking brew. Iron City has a nice balance to it. Overall I'm giving Iron city a 3.50 out 5. I would buy this brew again. Pittsburgh Brewing Co., did a nice job with brew. It is not the worst but not the best I have had. (756 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +39%

12oz glass bottle

IC! finally in Jersey!

It pours a transparent yellow with a decent looking foamy white head and some visible rising carbonation. It sports the classic macro-malt nose with a citrusy hop presence, bonus. Its everything you'd expect from a crisp, clean American lager, nothing out of the ordinary here. A great choice if you have to pick a beer to drink all day. Good balance, great drinkability. (414 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +38.2%

Poured a dark golden yellow with a two finger frothy white head. Tons of tiny bubbles rise to the top, and the head lowers slowly before becoming a nice lace.

Very strong smelling. Hints of citrus present through the hoppy nose. However, it isn't much better then any other macro.

Hmm, not too bad tasting at all. Mellow citrus balanced with some sweet malt. I quite like it.

Watery and a little over-carbonated mouthfeel. In other words, just like your typical macro.

To me, this is just like any other macro but with a better appearance, and a lot better taste. I can see myself buying again as a session brew. (624 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +37%

This is coming from a guy that live in Kentucky.. im not saying this because it is a local fav. im saying this b/c its the truth.. This beer is not a bad beer at all.. It was one of the first beers to come in a aluminium bottle.. I tried the beer at a restraunt that served pizza.. and it went well with a good meat me pizza... I cant really describe the color of it cuz it was still in the bottle.. but the smell and taste in my opinion was way better than any bud. coors.. or miller brands.. which i know to a lot of ppl doesnt mean shit.. but to some ppl that means a lot.. i would recommend trying one.. (607 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +35.8%

A very good session beer.....light to medium golden colour with a matching body....aroma is crisp. The taste and mouthfeel is what really got my attention.....Well balanced and clean....Not a great brew, but a very good brew, and for the money, an exellent value. I could drink gallons of this.....and probobly will.... (319 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +35%

Poured into a crystal pilsner flute (don't get to use these very often!). It has a very light golden color with a thin head that becomes a thin lace very quickly. It has a faint malt aroma, almost no hop scent. In all honesty, it has almost no aroma at all. Upon tasting though, the hops are evident immediately, followed by the malt. It has a smooth hop finish. The taste is very crisp and sharp overall. The body is light with low carbonation.

I think this is a decent lager and would make an excellent session beer. This one’s smooth and crisp and indicative of the style. Too bad most mass-produced American lagers aren't like this one, definitely worth the purchase. (675 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +35%

Look - this is an alright beer but you have to understand Pittsburgh. It is the only city w/ an entrance (ride through the Liberty tubes before you enter the city and you'll know what I mean), but it is not pretty. Sure, it looks great w/ the rivers and bridges on a poster, but real Pittsburgh is cold, dirty and grimy. And it is a steel town. You work in a mill all day and you want a beer that just goes down smooth, fast and is cheap (I have stillmill workers in my family). Or when you want about 12 beers to tailgate for a Stillers game. In that regard, I'll always have a spot for this beer and will tell everyone to give it one try. (640 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +33.9%

I had this when I went to Scranton, PA for the first time and for a cheap lager, this stuff was actually pretty good!

Appearance is a basic yellow with a tiny amount of head, not too shabby, but average for a typical lager.

Smell was fairly strong, but nothing to write home about. It smelled like a weaker Heineken.

Taste however I thoroughly enjoyed. There's a nice almost buttery aftertaste that follows the first sip and also has a nice sweet bite to it as well. Definitely a good beer to wet your whistle.

Mouthfeel was a bit thin, and not too overpowering. It goes down easy without any complaints, much like a light beer without the metallic aftertaste.

Drinkability is pretty good with this stuff. What it lacks in appearance and smell does a pretty good job in the aftertaste and feel in the mouth. It's a good cheap Pennsylvania lager and goes well with fish. (874 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +33.9%

I gave this beer an above average not for taste, but because I like to down these during Steeler tailgating. Sometimes a beer must be judged on something other than taste. If this was judged on taste, it would have been given an F.

Drinkability is OK because it is not too bitter, or not to tasty. (298 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +32.3%

Pours a clear bright yellow color with a fizzy white head that leaves little lacing.

Smells of grainy sweetness with some citrus.

Tastes of the grainy malt with a layer of floral and citrus hops. Grainy malt is plenty sweet. Bitterness is low. I like it compared to BMC.

Mouthfeel is medium with a crisp amount of carbonation. (329 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +31.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

12 oz ‘aluminum’ bottle obtained from John’s Grocery (Iowa City) in January 2005 and consumed that same evening. Pours a half-finger white head that very quickly settled to a ring around the glass. Crystal clear light honey color with a few streams of bubbles rising to the top. Smells mildly sweet (honey-like) with faint hop (Saaz? or perhaps that's just metal from the 'bottle) and maybe a bit of orange. Tastes weakly malt sweet with hop bitter--a bit to strong for the limited sweetness. A metalic flavor, I'm hoping is from the hops, is present from start to finish. Fruity flavors consist of cantelope (which I think is correctly called muskmelon) and a bit of peach. A sour carbonation fizz persists on my tongue after the swallow. Thin mouthfeel. This beer is much better than I expected (I was expecting macro-swill), but the fruit flavors are a bit stronger than I expect in a lager. Enjoyable, went down quick, on to the next beer for the evening. (962 characters)

3.34/5  rDev +31.5%

A clear, pale gold complexion, with a medium head. Looks and feels a lot like it's mainstream lager cousins, as the scent and flavor are grainy, with hints of corn and honey. Light-bodied, but crisp nonetheless, with a malty adjunct feel. Not spectacular or memorable, but a solid light lager that more than holds it's own against the corporate beers. (351 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +30.7%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The beer poured a clear straw color, forming a 1/2 inch fluffy white head, leaving medium lacing on the glass. The aroma is very light hops, giving it a slight citrus smell. The taste is nothing great, but a little better than Bud or Miller. Not much here. A little grain and a little hop flavor. The mouthfeel is light and smooth. I could see how light drinkers would enjoy this, but this really just doesnt do anything for me. (475 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +29.9%

Writing an impartial review of this beer is probably impossible. It's a macro lager, so most of us here are mildly biased against it, however hard we may try to score it for its style. Worse yet, it's from Pittsburgh and has the name "Iron City," so it invites stereotyping of the worst kind. See the review dated 11-7-2007 below for an example: it claims that "real Pittsburgh is cold, dirty and grimy" and full of mill workers. None of that is true, at least not these days: I live a 15-minute walk from the brewery and speak from experience. But it's a myth we all want to believe: that this is a tough beer for tough people, or something like that.

All of which is to say that while I will try to review this beer impartially and to score it for its style, you should take this review - and most of the other ones on here - with a grain of salt. (Or a belt of Imperial Whiskey, if you like the myth). I poured my Arn from a 12-ounce can into a pint glass, and assume that it is fresh given my location. I had a Miller High Life recently to give me a control beer to which I could compare this.

Appearance: completely average. There's a thin head that quickly fades, and obviously artificial carbon dioxide bubbles that cling to the inside of the glass for half a minute before disappearing. No better or worse than other macro lagers.

Smell: none at all, so far as I can tell. I guess that's average too: neither good nor bad.

Taste: better than average, but not great. Has a slightly acidic tang that probably isn't hops, but is thirst quenching and would go well with food. Doesn't linger on the palate.

Mouthfeel: better than average, but not great. Watery but very and pleasantly fizzy.

Drinkability: below average, but not awful. Like most macro lagers, you can down a lot of these in one sitting. But you don't really want to. And I know from prior encounters that this beer gives the worst hangover of any macro lager I've ever had, with the exception of sub-prime beers like Carling Black Label. (2,013 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +29.9%

Pours a pale crystal clear golden color with a whispy thin white1/4" head. Nice solid rim around the glass.
Smell is of corn, grains, and a mild melon aroma.
Taste is bland and simple. Heavy on the malts, faintly sweet, with a nice crisp finish.
Thin and watery in the mouth. Par for the style.
It's a very drinkable beer, but the drinkability decreases as the temp rises. I deducted a pt for that.
If this were readily available in my area it would be my lawn mower and bbq beer.
The alumi-bottle would also be great for camping or tailgaiting.
Best macro lager I've had yet. (583 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +29.9%

Usually drink this when I visit Pittsburgh. Apperance is actually good for this type of lager light golden with a half inch thick creamy,frothy white head..that actually sticks around. Aroma however is the usual sour corn mash cardboard mess!! Taste is better than the aroma..the corn is there in abundance but mt so sour and the malts actually seem nice and present.Nice semi sweet finish. Good on the palate, that is above average for style. Goes down well.Overall a nice American lager..reminds me a bit of Full Sail's Session..simple traditional American beer. (564 characters)

Iron City Beer from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.