Join our email list →

Iron City Beer - Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

Iron City BeerIron City Beer

poor

awful

Pittsburgh Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States | website

American Adjunct Lager | 4.50% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 02-01-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Iron City Beer Alström Bros
3.3/5  rDev +30.4%

Usually drink this when I visit Pittsburgh. Apperance is actually good for this type of lager light golden with a half inch thick creamy,frothy white head..that actually sticks around. Aroma however is the usual sour corn mash cardboard mess!! Taste is better than the aroma..the corn is there in abundance but mt so sour and the malts actually seem nice and present.Nice semi sweet finish. Good on the palate, that is above average for style. Goes down well.Overall a nice American lager..reminds me a bit of Full Sail's Session..simple traditional American beer.

2.8/5  rDev +10.7%

I hope this is the right beer for this review. The bottle says it's brewed by Iron City Brewing Co. but when I type this into BA nothing comes up but this. Poured into a pint glass.

Pours out the lightest straw yellow. Once in the glass, settles to a light golden color. A small white fizzy head emerges and quickly settles to virtually nothing. Body is clear and can see bubbles floating from the bottom of the glass. No lacing is left on the glass.

Smells a lot like a macro. Sweetness is really the only thing that comes through for me. Not very interesting.

Hmm, I actually like this when compared to other beers from this style (looking at you macros). Like the smell, there is some sweetness that more or less dominates the taste and some biscuit notes that comes though at times. It is complex by any means but it's not bad.

Body is medium-light and actually isn't as thin as I was expecting it to be. Not fizzy either. This actually feels pretty smooth going down.

I would much prefer this to most any macro product out there. I haven't had to many "craft" adjunct lagers but hopefully I can try more of those soon. I bought this because it reminded me of the Steelers and I needed to finish a mix 6 pack (was looking for stuff I haven't had). Will I buy this again? Doubt it but was worth a try

3.34/5  rDev +32%

A clear, pale gold complexion, with a medium head. Looks and feels a lot like it's mainstream lager cousins, as the scent and flavor are grainy, with hints of corn and honey. Light-bodied, but crisp nonetheless, with a malty adjunct feel. Not spectacular or memorable, but a solid light lager that more than holds it's own against the corporate beers.

1.88/5  rDev -25.7%

A: Bright, totally clear very pale yellow with a few bubble and a small head that falls fast and leaves no lacing.

S: Very faint - Mostly grainy adjunctness. Hunting around turns up some vaguely malty grain and a light hint of weakly floral lageresque something.

T: Palate is a lot like the smell but relatively stronger. Though that is not necessarily good. There is a thinly fruity/floral edge to the sweetness and some faint lightly malty grain. But mostly it is dms cooked corn turned to 11. Don't really notice any hops at all.

M: Medium light body with average carbonation that seems brisk without much of any heft behind it, but it works for what it is and contributes to a drying finish.

D: Alright for a lawnmower beer, but not by much. Overly adjunct/cooked corn sweetness. Not enough balance (no noticeable hops, very little malt character). I would almost rather have a BL lime.

1.55/5  rDev -38.7%

Pours a light golden color with a fast receding head that fades just as quickly as it forms, leaving just bubbles on the surface of the beer. Aromas of faint, faded malts make their way into the nose, along with notes resembling creamed corn from the can, a bit of lime or citrus, sweetness and some spicyness. This beer is overly sweet, while at the same time lacking a decent malt presence to balance it out. Their is a faint hoppiness that is hardly noticeable, while definite adjunct notes are present. Alcohol is just barely noticeable in the taste. Very light body with a decent carbonation profile. Overall, this beer is way too sweet and very unbalanced. Avoid.

2.65/5  rDev +4.7%

A- Pours a completely clear yellow color with a thin white foam head that quickly fades away. A few suds left on top.

S- Not a ton of aroma but a bit of corn and stale sweetness.

T- A soapy flavor intially with some sweetness and cooked cereal. Can't find any flaws but there also is quite a lack of taste all together so I'm not sure if that is really a plus?

M- Clean and crisp with decent carbonation.

D- These Adjunct lagers are what they are. Easy to drink but lacking in flavor.

1.45/5  rDev -42.7%

Picked this up as a testing beer while brewing my 3rd batch of beer. My friend is from Pittsburgh so we gave it a try. We were not impressed. It was lighter than expected, sort of had a funky smell similar to that of Steel Reserve. Not the worst beer I've ever had, however the remaining bottles from the 6 pack will probably sit in my beer fridge until I finally decide to pour them out. When poured into a glass it did not retain much head and very little streaking on the sides of the glass.

2.96/5  rDev +17%

Bought at 'Lifesource" Salem. 12 oz single. Apperance is actually good for this type of lager light golden with a half inch thick creamy,frothy white head..that actually sticks around. Aroma however is the usual sour corn mash cardboard mess!! Taste is better than the aroma..the corn is there in abundance but mt so sour and the malts actually seem nice and present.Nice semi sweet finish. Good on the palate, that is above average for style. Goes down well.Overall a nice American lager..reminds me a bit of Full Sail's Session..simple traditional American beer.

1.96/5  rDev -22.5%

Saw this recently for the first time at my local natural foods store. Was curious so I bought a single for $.99. Not curious anymore. Poured into a clear pint glass, but might have been better to poor down the drain, or use as slug bait.

A-Pours a very clear, pale golden color with a one finger, loose bright white foamy head with modest retention and lacing.

S-Grainy malt, corn, and slight wet grass. I don't remember BMC smelling this bad.

T-Almost awful. The first sip was revolting. It doesn't get much better. Just not shocked any longer. Tastes worse than BMC, which I didn't think was possible.

M-Light and thin. Nearly flat after it warms. Is this beer?

D-No thanks. I was surprised to see there is one "want" for this beer.

2.7/5  rDev +6.7%

Good tail gating beer at Steelers Games. Nothing Special about this beer though other than its name in my opinion. Fun to drink, but it will leave you wanting your comfort beer. The taste is crisp but a tad bitter in the after taste. The apperance is bland. But hey, Go Steelers. Definately worth a taste in my opinion.

3.36/5  rDev +32.8%

Pours a clear bright yellow color with a fizzy white head that leaves little lacing.

Smells of grainy sweetness with some citrus.

Tastes of the grainy malt with a layer of floral and citrus hops. Grainy malt is plenty sweet. Bitterness is low. I like it compared to BMC.

Mouthfeel is medium with a crisp amount of carbonation.

This was just not fun. I actually traded for this just to try it. Served ice cold and poured into a pint glass, this was consumed on 08/22/2010.

The pour was abysmal with a dull golden color that was just crustal clear and full of carbonation but lacked any type of retention or lacing what so ever. Light aroma of corn, rice, hints of grain and that was about it but it was dominated by just this wet cardboard, overdone mess of a profile. Light body, light flavor, everything just so light you could barely taste it.

Overall this was just the kiss of death for my night, no more for me.

2.43/5  rDev -4%

P- Monkey Bar in Pittsburgh

A- dull straw color with little head and carbonation.

S- metal and corn

T- corn and wheat, light wheat.

M- metal and watery

D- i always have at least one in Pittsburgh but other than that its not a great beer. easy to throw back though but no flavor.

2.33/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured with a straw color and a non existent head. Sporadic carbonation. Smells like metal and corn....not pleasing. Tastes like corn flakes, hay, and a nickle all at the same time. Very sweet and thin. Its adjunct lager and it passed the mouthfeel test for this style. You can drink this at a football game particularly the steelers.

1.96/5  rDev -22.5%

I am a Pittsburgh born and raised guy... so it seems fitting that I should review this... brew.

A - cheap ginger ale thinned with some water, has a tight pure site head that leaves some lacing. The head is all that saves this from a 1.

S - a very weak sweet corn hoppiness with a touch of metallic bite. Maybe a bit of old bar tag thrown in... but that might be because most of my bar experience has rags with Iron City in them.

T - almost no flavor, like a watered down Miller or other macro.

M - basically like a Crystal Light drink with a tingle on the front sides of the tongue.

D - you could probably drink this in place of water as there is no actual "bad" flavor, but why bother?

2.83/5  rDev +11.9%

It pours a straw yellow, small but decent head of foam.

The smell has sweet notes, corn, and grain.

The taste is sweet, has some corn, and a light bitterish finish. Nothing really offensive, just a typical taste for the style.

Light bodied, medium carbonation, decent drinkability. I bought the sixer in Colorado and will finish the other cans but there's no reason to revisit.

2.5/5  rDev -1.2%

I think I only picked up a bottle due to the fact that one of my best friends is from Pittsburgh, but I probably won't again, and here's why:

A- much like any other macro

S- ditto

T- a little better, but not by much

M- fizzy and yellow... notice a trend?

D- pretty much the high point- and only point in buying- as with any run of the mill BMC

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Poured a light brown amber, clear. One finger white, bubbly head the diminishes immediately. Visible carbonation. No lacing.

Smell: Smells like a malty apple juice.

Taste: Not overly flavorful. Mild biscuit malts with some apple flavors. Very clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin to medium bodied with a nice carbonation nice. Smooth enough.

Drinkability: An unobjectionable, smooth and clean lager. Not much flavor, but not a bad drinker when you need something really simple.

Buy Again? Only in Pittsburgh.

2.02/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Metal beer, pale yellow appearance, aroma of metal and corn.

Taste is a little sweet. Bonus. No hops, barely cooked malt. Very watery. No mouthfeel, just the same barely there affect going on. Drinkable like water, but a little pricey for what it is. Pretty hard to drink, can't see what you would be doing drinking this unless you wanted a buzz and hated your life.

Iron City is brewed in (near) Pittsburgh, I live in Pittsburgh, therefore I drink Iron City...sometimes. How's that for an inference?

This beer is as average as it gets for the style. There is nothing that stands out in any way. It pours a clean yellowish color with little or no lacing. Smells like corn and every other macro produced beer. It tastes like corn and every other macro produced beer. Its mouthfeel and drinkability are a little higher than average simply because it is on the ligher end.

I buy this for Steeler's parties and the like as it is from near the burg and is usually really cheap. If I am looking for a better local beer (usually), I buy Yuengling or something from the Curch.

1.91/5  rDev -24.5%

Well we sell this beer in my bar in cans because it is the only not commonly available cheep beer I can find to sell for $2 at a bar.

It looks like any other lager in my opinion.

It smells Ok so long as it hasn't spilled on the floor and been left for a few hours.

It tastes sweet and a lot like Coors. No hops

If feels like soda

I can not drink more than one of these beers and that is hard. This beer makes me want to be a designated driver.

PBR is a much better cheep beer. But this is better than some beers like the beast. Not something I will buy or give to someone I consider a friend.

3.03/5  rDev +19.8%

Pours a clear yellow color with a one-finger head into my pint glass. About right for the style.

Aroma is thick with adjuncts, especially corn. Has a bit of a hop bite but not much. Sweet as well.

Taste is sweet and bready with a slight of hops and not much else. Normal for the style.

It's not too watery but there's still not much there to savor. Sweet, bready flavor lingers.

Not horrible but not too impressive either. I can see it going ok with a pizza or on a warm day full of yard work. Otherwise, steer clear of this.

2.1/5  rDev -17%

Poured from bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance - almost transparent without a quickly vanishing head.

Smell - none apparent except for a little sourness.

Taste - again none apparent.

Mouthfeel - average. Not good or bad.

Drinkability - the first one was bad I am afraid the second would be awful.

Not much to say about this beer. I know it has a following but it is not for me.

3.9/5  rDev +54.2%

Ok, I love Iron City. It may be from the history or something, I don't know. Always loved drinking it at Steelers games, so I may be a little biased. I still like though. Have to admit, have not tried it since it is now brewed in Latrobe. It may not be the same, but I have always thought Iron City is what represents Pittsburgh. It has been there since the the 1800's.

1.59/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Had on 12/4 out in CA...from a friend from the Burgh who told me they lovingly call this one Iron Shitty. Who could pass that up?!?!

A: This beer pours a translucent straw yellow with a pristine one finger of white sudsy head. Head recedes rapidly leaving a whole heck of nothing on the glass.

S: Nose is adjuncts, adjuncts, and more adjuncts....

T: Taste is predominantly of corn, grain, cereal...touches of biscuit and bread.

M: Light body, high carbonation, thin and watery.

D: I have to say, I was fairly warned and this beer lived up to it's nickname. If given the option between this and bud light - I'd go to bud light...provided water wasn't even available.

Iron City Beer from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.