Iron City Beer - Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

Iron City BeerIron City Beer

poor

awful

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: maxpower on 02-01-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Iron City Beer Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev +30.5%

This is a better beer than I expected. The color is light yellow and there is ample carbonation. The smell is grainy. But the taste is more than is expected of the style. The beer does not have that grainy harshness that is typical of the style. The mouthfeel is smooth and inviting. This is a session beer is I have ever seen one. This beer is better than any macro I have had. Top of the heap in that style. Thnks to wcudwight for the bottle. This was my first aluminum bottle.

3.25/5  rDev +30.5%

A - Dark straw, but not quite amber. Crystal clear. Fizzy white head. No lacing.

S - Biting sweet malts. Some vague hop spiciness. Some cloying corn husk. Some wine like alcohol smell oddly enough.

T/M - Thin watery feel. Clean taste. Mild malts, mild corn flavors. Nearly no hops, but the lightness of the malt and corn don't make it sweet enough to be cloying.

D - Goes down very easy. I was surprised that the taste was actually not bad for an adjunct lager. I could find myself going for another pretty easily.

3.25/5  rDev +30.5%

This beer poured a light yellow and had a medium head. The smell had a faint hop aroma and a bit of malt too. The taste was light with a light/medium body. There is a little bit of hop flavor present here, but not a whole lot. The taste isn't too bad... there's just not a whole lot of it. The mouthfeel is light with a medium carbonation. This isn't a real heavy beer, but it doesn't have a bad taste. I consider to be pretty drinkable, and I enjoyed it (in true Pittsburgher fashion) with a Primanti Brothers sandwich! Definately worth a try... and a must when visiting the great city of Pittsburgh!

3.2/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I couldn't believe how clear this stuff poured...The most hollow gold I ever saw! Head just up and left quickly. Very mild scented also. The above average taste of malt/grain with a slight hop finish really surprised me after seeing how it looked. The "AlumaBottle" is cool too. Not great but certainly not bad at all.

3.2/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

My wife's dad offered me this can as a bit of nostalgia (he requested it from a friend who recently trekked to Pittsburg for a Steelers game). You see, he heard the ads for Iron City on AM radio broadcasts of Pirates games that he used to be able to hear on clear summer nights in the late 1950's in upstate New York. While I'm typically weary of beers from a can, I had to try it for nostalgia's sake.

The can had a cool retro look... made me wonder if it was good marketing, or just a holdover from years ago. The beer poured a golden color, deeper than those mass-produced beers, with a decent creamy white head. The smell was that typical American lager smell that I just can't seem to elaborate on. As for the taste, it was surprisingly somewhat tasty... mildly sweet malt with a touch of hops, mild hop flavor but no bitterness. The mouthfeel was nice, and there was none of that metallic flavor that always seems present in canned beers (this one was apparently relatively fresh). It was a much more enjoyable and drinkable beer than I expected. Not a bad choice if you find yourself at a Steelers game!

3.2/5  rDev +28.5%

In all honesty, this is an average beer with good drinkability. Its taste is nothing to brag about, nor is its appearance or smell all that alluring. But they are not bad either. I grew up on this beer. My grandfather only drink 'Arn pounder returnables'; he's done so for 20 years and probably will so for the next 20 years. One advantage that Pittsburgh Iron drinkers have over drinkers who don't live in or around the city is that we get it fresh always. There is nothing to dislike in this beer and on the same hand nothing to love other than its price and easiness in drinking quite a few of. Like their old promotional slogan used to read
"Its a Burgh thing" and from outside the culture of Pittsburgh you probably wouldnt understand :)
In Pittsburgh its cheap, drinkable, and fresh.

3.18/5  rDev +27.7%

I will say this beer sux ass,but one of my good buddies it P-town took me to a Steelers game and I tailgated all day drinkin this stuff,not good but drank at least 16 and I cheeredon the Steelers (even though Iam Lions fan).Better than AB products,a classic in the Iron city.

3.18/5  rDev +27.7%

Poured from a brown bottle into a pint glass.

A hard pour only produced a thin layer of head which vanished all too quickly. A little skunky smell, which is somewhat surprising given that it was in a brown bottle. Judging by the taste I would say this is an all malt lager and not an adjunct lager. Hops give only the slightest bit of bitterness in the aftertaste.

3.18/5  rDev +27.7%

A decent macro lager. Typical adjunct filled lager. Decent appearance and adjunct smell. Taste is typical macro lager crap. Mouthfeel is fairly crisp but dry. THis beer is easy to drink, but so are all macro lagers if you can drink them cold and not taste the adjunct crap going on. Not a beer I'd turn down, but not a beer I'd order for myself. Try it if it comes by you cheap, otherwise don't waste your time.

3.18/5  rDev +27.7%

So I take a break from yard-work to return the bottles. I'm thinking to myself, cheap lager sounds good, but the makers of most cheap lager are detestable. So I see this beer in the fridge, its a good deal, so I picks it up. As I'm checking out, I notice the "non-returnable" label on the side, which I assume is purely for authenticity. Not in my era, but my dad always talks about how he misses taking the case of empties back. I hate it.

Its a pale golden color, rather boisterous head, and the bubbles are rather brilliant in their whiteness. The aroma is purely of pale malt, and the hops aren't noticeable.

The taste is mild, but what I expected. Its a very clean malty flavor with a complimentary amount of carbonation. Its somewhat difficult to pick out other flavors, but I assume that hops are attributing to the crispness of the beer.

All in all, its nothing spectacular, but its welcome on this day.

3.16/5  rDev +26.9%

3.15/5  rDev +26.5%

Forty of Iron City, this was and continues to be a staple of my hometown. I have found myself low on cash as of lately, and I figured what better times to go back to my roots. Pours a true golden tone with a highly carbonated thick white head that could be compared to the billowing smoke clouds that that left the steel mills of Pittsburgh's past. Everything about this beer says it's classic, you have to love the old school label. The aroma is a very faint bitterness with some sweet tones hidden in there. The taste however is the true reason to throw back this beer, it is a crisp American lager not too watered down, definitey packs some flavor. The sweetness of corn and rice adjuncts is the backbone with some mild hop bitterness here to form one great summertime lawnmower beer. Not an all grain beer but much better than the adjunct ridden garbage Anhueser Busch throws at us. I will definitely "drink local and think globally" in this situation. A light to medium body that is true to it's American lager profile. I will always keep a place in my heart for this historic beer of the city I was born in.

3.13/5  rDev +25.7%

This wasn't the worst adjunct beer as some people would call it. It had an even finger and a half of white head over a pale straw body with plenty of carbonation bubbles. There was not much for lace but what lace did exist was pretty spread out. It had an average mass produced lager aroma. Slightly malty and hoppy. The taste was metallic, spicy, with some grain and sour apple like flavors. The mouthfeel was thin and even. It wasn't a horrible beer but it wasn't a beer I would go searching for.

3.13/5  rDev +25.7%

Clear straw color with a nice white head at first and good carbonation but leaves no lace. Standard cooked corn aroma and flavor with grassy notes. Light bodied with a dry grassy finish.

Gotta love it ... if you're a Steelers fan & from PA (like me).

Per bottle: Since 1861

3.4% alcohol by weight
4.5% alcohol by volume

'3084' lasered on neck
Tasted: 01/30/05

($19.99 / case - aluminum bottles)

3.13/5  rDev +25.7%

Standard American Macro Lager, poured from an aluminum bottle to a pint glass, it's an average, yellow beer with decent head, some minor lacing, and good carbonation. Smells corny but with some actual malt, too.

Taste, well, it's AML and dead-on for the style. I'd prefer a Pabst but won't get snobish and turn my nose up at IC. It beats Miller Lite hands down.

Dry, bubbly mouthfeel. Enh. But pretty good drinkability.

I kinda enjoy IC. As far as macrolagers go it's pretty good. Beats BMC, anyways. Pick one up, Y'ins might like it.

3.13/5  rDev +25.7%

Drinking this beer in honer of my team during the super bowl. hopefully the team scores better than the beer!

A-light gold with a lot of bubbles. thin white head

S-smells like honey and buttered corn. smells very malts. fairly strong scent

T-hits with a surprisingly smooth and impressive taste of malted corn. the after-taste has a malted feel to it. unlike how i remember it, this is not a bad beer. its in the "bottom of the barrel" list but that has to be a mistake because i'm enjoying this!

M-medium to high carbonation with a decent smoothness to it. has a crisp, okay finish

D-this goes down easily. i do not regret getting an entire 6-pack for the game, but seeing how this game is progressing...i might need to upgrade to something stronger.

Alumninum Bottle!

Reviewed this during the Pittsburgh/Denver AFC Championship game. We had a party here and provided Rolling Rock, IC, IC Light, and Penn Pilsner. I drank all of the Iron City beer. Not reviewed properly, but this was definitely a tasty beer. It is much better than Miller Lite or anything similar to this. Not my typical beer to drink a daily basis, but during a sporting event, does very well.

3.11/5  rDev +24.9%

Sampling right now on 7/31/14. Never had this one before but heard about it. Paid $1.29 for the bottle. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a flute glass.

Pours a hazy honey yellow in color with a thin white head. Some spotty lacing was seen with each sip but settled back down the sides of the glass. The aroma is of sweet corn for the most part. The taste is about the same and actually surprised how sweet this beer is! Sweet corn and grains for the most part. Very slight dry finish. Overall, it was just OK.

3.1/5  rDev +24.5%

Iron City was once a mainstay in my fridge, of course this was some twenty years ago, and I still like to sample one now and again, if nothing else for the memories.

The beer pours from the 355ml aluminum bottle (can), a clear gold with a smallish bright white head that is semi-creamy in texture, with the left over lace a fine film to conceal the glass. Nose is the prototypical malt lager with a fresh crisp sweetness, start is lightly sweet and nicely malted, top is light in feel. Finish is strongly acidic, the hops light but pleasant and the aftertaste dry and lingering, a drinkable lager as lagers go.

3.1/5  rDev +24.5%

A small, fast, fizzy, level, white head dies to a film quickly. The beer is ultra clear, pale gold with impatient carbonation. Smell is sweet/tart... like apple juice, with some nuts and sugar. The beer starts fruity and a little bitter, then turns sweet, with more apple juice and a fairly solid body. The finish gives major nuts and nicely fresh bitterness. It gets a little chemically at temperature, but overall it's not bad. Some pleasant flavors in there.

3.1/5  rDev +24.5%

Sampled in Florida, straight from the bottle, ice, ice cold at Frogger's in my hometown of Apopka, FL. What can I say? The girl was getting her nails done and I wanted a beer.

Aroma is of corn and a light DMSy sulfur quality. Not quite the cooked creamed corn and cabbage aroma that can be found in Rolling Rock, but enough to let you know that it's there.

While ice cold, the IC is exactly that, icey with a bite of carbonic acid and a light grassy hop that's quickly separated by a pull of strong corny sweetness and a dms slick oiliness.

Inoffensive when cold this beeer is definately no great shakes when it warms up!

3.1/5  rDev +24.5%

Appearance: Clear yellow with a soda-like head.

Smell: Funky hops.

Taste: Tough taste. Begins to taste better the more you plow through. Faint hop and malt character.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body. Pretty fizzy.

Drinkability: Good regional brew. Fits where it comes from. I enjoy this type of beer to keep it all in perspective.

3.08/5  rDev +23.7%

Apperance: Standard golden yellow. Decent carbonation, a bit on the heavy side. Lacing is nice too.

Smell: Pretty clean with a mineral background. A hint of hops.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Taste is same as smell. Mouthfeel is pretty good. Well-carbonated.

Drinkability: A prototype of this style.

Overall: Neither bad nor good, but leaning towards the good side.

Iron City Beer from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.