American - Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

American
No picture uploaded.
poor

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-07-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by durwood64:
2.75/5  rDev +26.7%

2.35/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured out of can into pilsner glass.

Appearance: looks like every other "old Man" Beer. Yellow fizzy. Not much of a head, what was there disappeared quickly. Not much lacing to speak of.

Smell: maybe sweet corn,

Mouthfeel: not much to speak of.

Drinkability: Not bad at all can drink plenty of these on a hot summer day, flavor is a bit bland, but lends to the drinkability.

2.48/5  rDev +14.3%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer poured a light golden yellow crystal clear body with a bubbly white head and a gentle carbonation.

S- The smell of light sweet pale malt and a big corn nose was finish with a faint noble hop bitterness.

T- The beer has a tangy light pale malt taste with slightly sweet hints of honey and cooked corn. The finish is a faint noble hop bitterness.

M- This beer had a light mouthfeel with a fizz texture and a bit of a carbonic bite.

D- I'm not a fan of this style but it did have some interesting complexity with a faint sweetness and some pale malt but the cooked corn was in the way. I think I would get tired of it pretty quickly but it was not the Macro that I expected.

1.35/5  rDev -37.8%

Noticing that it was also made by the Pittsburgh Brewing Comapny, I thought that I was being smart and buying a "cheaper" Iron City,a beer that I have grown quite fond of in my years in Pittsburgh.

It's cheaper alright but that comparison doesn't end in the price catgory.
The only plus side is that it cost $10 for the case. The downside is that I probably spent that $10 for one beer. I'm already rueing the next can. This is one for the freezer, boys.

Don't be like me - pay the extra $8 and get Iron City.

2.25/5  rDev +3.7%

2.53/5  rDev +16.6%

Nothing special here with the exception of the label which is very American. Classic bald eagle with a red and white flag background. Impressive.
Unfortunately the product does not live up to the packaging.
Arrived a medium golden colour with a very light lace, which quickly left leaving "apple juice" Carbonation almost non existant and the body medium.
Taste is of a vegtable mash with only a hint of the hops to lightly balance.
Bought this in a sixer with five to go. Best thing I can say about this brew is that I will consume the rest.

1.58/5  rDev -27.2%

How appropriate is this? AmeriCAN beer for an AmeriCAN CANned beer drinker and the day after an AmeriCAN holiday!

Well, the celebration was off to a slow start when the finger of foamy white head that I got from the pour decided to rain down like last night's fireworks. The color was a nice golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. The nose was very sweet, lager-like, but really sweet. Mouthfeel was medium with a sugary, cereal/taste on the tongue. I began to wonder if I was going to go into diabetic shock off of this beer. The finish left me gasping for air, reeling from its intense sweetness. I rarely pull a Drain Pour, but this one came mighty close. Oof.

Thanks to Local Option's Tony for hooking up everyone at Delilah's with a can of American.

A - I can't see inside the can, but the packaging screams American. And adjunct lager, too.

S - The nose is beery, with hints of minerals, de rigueuer triple-hops brewing, and smells also like it has a vortex-neck (though it is actually in a can.)

T - If they sold this at Moe's in Springfield, Duff would possibly go out of business. Litmus test: passed.

M - Average, but better if you make a dent in the front of the can by the mouth hole, thereby reducing agitation of the beer as it enters one's gullet.

O - While it is no Blatz, it is also no BL. Pretty decent stuff.

A. Drank a cold can with a friend as payment for mowing a lawn. We got ripped off. Anyway, being that I drank from a can, I have to be fair and rate it average like I do for other canned/bottled beers I did not have a glass at the time.

S. Light and watery. Mineral water and corn. No hops. None.

T. Astringent but light enough to water that down. Corn and cooked veggies. Slight DMS. Strangely better than Iron City, the flagship beer of this brewery. Though it is better than IC, this is still not a good beer.

M. For the style the mouthfeel is fairly typical. Light, light bodied. Watery. There you have it.

D. Low to mid grade swill. Obviously it must be consumed as cold as possible. Better than some, worse than most.

1.5/5  rDev -30.9%

2.75/5  rDev +26.7%

2.35/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours a whitish-gold color with a thick head that fades down to lacing on the sides of my glass.

Aroma is full of hints of adjunct (corn and possibly rice?) with just a tiny amount of hops in the nose. Seems right for the style.

Taste is watery and grainy with the adjuncts giving way to a residual sweetness. Very bland. Almost no carbonation.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering residual sweetness, which dominates here. Not much else to be detected except for a watery feel to it.

Well, it is the cheapest 6 pack around here and the quality reflects it. $3.69 a 6 pack. You won't enjoy it but there are worse things that you can drink. I'd like to think that the name of the beer is a jab at other producers of adjunct lagers, especially A-B, which is no longer an independent American brewrey.

1.18/5  rDev -45.6%

When I was a kid, I never ate my veggies. Now, I don't drink them in my beer. This beer as the previous reviewer said, starts by looking like a strong candidate. It's light amber in color with a head with large bubbles. Taste is of rice and other cooked veggies. Very weak hop presence. Please, if you drink this, please drink this very cold or you will be unpleasantly surprised.

1.93/5  rDev -11.1%

A: pours with no head very pale straw yellow color

S: strong corn aroma. Smells like a beer that should be used for beer pong

T: Watered down and bland as expected but not offensive. As long as they're super cold I could drink a few of these. I've certainly had worse.

M: Low to moderate carbonation. Again very watery.

O: If your looking for a super cheap beer for a college party or a game of beer pong this is a viable option. It is what it is.

1.93/5  rDev -11.1%

I went to college at IUP in Indiana, Penn. One of the people I met there was a towney (grew up in Indiana) and went to the college, living with his parents to save money. His dad drank this and had no problem if we drank it when I came over. W/o a doubt a college beer. It is a very light, airy taste w/ almost pure water going down your throat. Perhaps it is so smooth because I swear there can be no alcohol in it. One night we just stayed up for awhile and made beeramids with a case. I know I was in college, but I couldn't handle killing a case like that w/ a normal brew. Oh, memories.

1.88/5  rDev -13.4%

The main appeal to American is the cost. Its really cheap and something that poor college kids have no trouble sharing with their friends. Its inexpensive and its not terrible. It looks and smells like most other macro lagers and it is relatively drinkable.

3.03/5  rDev +39.6%

Story behind this beer:

So I stopped by West Side Liquor in St. Cloud while the wife shopped across the street. With a stocked cellar and fridge at home and a good beer store in my neighborhood now I wasn't in a big buying mood...so after looking and passing over many beers I settled on this 40-cent can of American lager...made by Pittsburgh Brewing I figured it had to be worth 40 cents to try. I am not adverse to drinking some macros and even cheap macros from time to time so I gave it a whirl.

A-Light golden...1/8 inch white foamy head...

S-Cooked corn....smells a little like the remaining ounce or so at the bottom of your old mil returnables in college after they sat for awhile....not saying that is bad but just describing the smell.

T-Lighter flavored...leans sweet with the cooked corn...no off flavors...just not a lot of flavor overall...pretty unoffensive but basic for the style.

M-Medium to low carbonation...almost a creamy texture in the mouth...nothing nasty about it.

D-This is not a bad low budget macro...I guess it's best characteristic is that it doesn't suck....and I mean that....a lot of these cheaper macros have bad off tastes and are hard to drink. This is no GABF winning beer by any means but at least it is drinkable. Would be able to drink several of these at a sitting at the right time (college party). It's not a boatload of flavor but I'm guessing for the people who will drink this beer that is not a priority.

1.88/5  rDev -13.4%

A: Pours a crisp golden straw yellow. Head rises up with a mound of white fluff but quickly disappears leaving minimal lacing at best. The appearance of this beer in the glass is no where near as inspiring as the graphics on the can.

S: Aroma was sweeter then the usual of this style. Grainy and tortilla corn like.

T: The most positive thing I can say about the taste is that I think there was a hint of hops. Apple sauce like finish.

M: Thin and low end.

D: This was a terrible deal for a six pack but I will finish them off to at least so my money won't have gone to complete waste. No offense to the brewery but at the end of the day, if cash flow is an issue, just go ahead and pick up some PBR instead.

2.5/5  rDev +15.2%

3.25/5  rDev +49.8%

2.45/5  rDev +12.9%

Haha...ok. I can say that I like it more than American Light.

I open the can and right away I know I'm getting what I paid for. No head or carbonation at all. Tastes like really flat, cheap soda.

I only tried it because my neighbor at the time was from out that way and his family swears by the stuff.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
American from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.