Old German - Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

Old GermanOld German

poor

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2002)
Reviews by Buggies:

Buggies, Aug 20, 2013
1.58/5  rDev -35.5%

A forty of Old German as old Herman flaunts his chalice full of godly nectar at us he forms a grin full of smug audacity toward us...his patrons while realizing that his joy is related to the fact that we are imbibing upon this piss that passes by his presence as he enjoys his favorite Belgian specialty served in proper glassware...fuck Herman. Anyway now that I've stated my peace...let's look at it as it forms an apple juiced tone golden body with a large bubbled overly carbonated artificially carbonated foamy white head dwindles almost instantly upon the pour leaves behind specks of scarce lacing. Aroma cooked veggies, cereal grains corn and rice some sweetness and no hop character leaves me wanting so much more. Flavor full of a crazy gag inducing sweetness with so much offness that it deserves no warning to the silly consumer (myself)...yep I knew what I was getting myself into. No clean crispness as a coating layer of grotesqueness enters my palate literally all of the undesireable flavors simply camp out on your palate no smooth or crisp characteristics to this one high carbonation that tickles the throat with each sip...sorry folks keep bottling it for the novelty it was worth my $1.59 plus tax. Drinkability...let's just say it was fun drinking this legendary western PA brew that I could definitely see why it's rep has followed it.

WVbeergeek, Jun 13, 2006
2.73/5  rDev +11.4%

My local craft beer store doesn't carry any BMC type beers, but the owner has a fondness for this beer, and has to pull some strings to carry it. He gave me a free can so I could see what all the fuss was about.

Appearance- Poured into a pint glass, 2 fingers of bright white head rises up, and pretty much falls right back down. The beer itself is a very transparent straw color. There was a bit of lacing trying to keep track of my big gulps.

Smell- Mostly corn with a bit of grain. The smell is really faint, which is probably a good thing in this case.

Taste- Sweet, with corn and a bit of graininess. Once the high carbonation kicks in, I pretty much loose any flavor I was tasting before. It's half adjunct lager, half carbonated spring water. There's just a little bit of metal in the finish, as well.

MF- High carbonation prickles the tongue, but isn't so high that it burns the throat like some similar style/priced beers tend to do to me.

Drinkability- I have to give this a pretty high score for drinkability because my pint glass was emptied quick, and drinking it didn't do my tongue much harm. The flavors are light, and refreshing. It's hard to believe that "Ultra" or "Light" isn't written anywhere on the can.
It's too bad I waited until winter to try this beer. This would have been a great beer to drink a case of while playing yard games in the summer.

Reino, Dec 11, 2008
1.88/5  rDev -23.3%

For some reason, my fancy beer store started carrying this last week, so I figured for 75 cents I could take a can home and try it out for educational purposes. Note to my customers: if I recommend this to you, it's because you have somehow severely wronged me at some point in the past.
Pours a startingly clear pale yellow, topped by a fizzy white head that promply retreats to nothing. Aroma of adjunct malt and corn, with a faint whiff of cooked veggies. Palate is not as bad as others have claimed, but by that I mean only that it's not totally offensive. Slightly sour, slightly skunky, with adjunct malt providing the only character. Body is thin and fizzy. Won't be trying this again.

ElGordo, Aug 04, 2006

Sheva, May 09, 2013

shoretaxi, May 25, 2014
3.1/5  rDev +26.5%

I don't really see the pilsner style here it is a better than average american macro. Malty with just a kiss of hops and very drinkable. Decent head, some lacings, and an easy drinker. Not a beer I'm lusting after but I wouldn't turn one down if offered.

Spikester, Apr 09, 2009
2.25/5  rDev -8.2%

vwbus7, Jun 24, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +53.1%

Dcbelkot, Jul 01, 2014
2.15/5  rDev -12.2%

while I wish I had the pleasure of drinking out of a 40, as pictured, I'll have to survive with a 16oz can, which I inexplicably poured into a pilsner glass. habit, I suppose.

Looks like water with a drop or two of yellow food coloring. A bit of carbonation fuels a rocky and chunky white head that isn't all that bad, and leaves some nice sheets of lacing.

The aroma, on the other hand, is only saved by its relative mildness. cooked grains, almost cream-of-wheaty, with a bit of corn, a bit of spinach, and a touch of hops.

Tastes like water with a bit of beer in it. or properly, a shandy with water instead of soda. a bit grainy, a bit of wheat, a bit grassy. tastes like bubbles.

mouthfeel is spritely. like sprite. a bit sweet, a lot carbonated. a touch drying, although it may just be the immense carbonation.

wow. apparently "the world knows no finer." I beg to differ. For the price, however, I suppose it's alright, which garners a bit of a score boost. but I'd rather spend a touch more for BMC and get mass market beechwood aged flavor. I can't believe I just said that.

djeucalyptus, Feb 19, 2009
1.4/5  rDev -42.9%

Appearence: Poured into my St. Bernardus Goblet (probably the first time this beer has ever graced a goblet) a very light yellowish gold with no head at all.

Smell: The smell is an actually bearable smell of malts with faint hop bitterness.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Wow. That is really bad. Honestly, I don't understand why people drink something that tastes this awful. Why would you drink beer that doesn't even taste like anything? You'd think people would want something flavorful or interesting or even high proof. But, no. People flock to this garbage like flies flock to fresh dog shit on a hot day. And you know what? I bet what they're eating tastes better than this horrible mixture of fake malts, no hop bitterness, and a horrible, horrible cereal aftertaste that lingers on forever.

Drinkability and Overall: Um, I think I summed it up already.

santoslhalper, Apr 18, 2005
2.45/5  rDev 0%

24 fl oz. can (1 pint 8 oz.) with no apparent freshness date present. My first encounter with a can of this cheap swill, acquired at the local beer store for $1.99. Review #250 for me!

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours two fingers of fluffy bright white head on top of a crystal clear, pale yellow straw colored body. Some carbonation bubbles rushing to the top & the faintest tiny sediment bits floating around. Fat sheets of lacing as the beer recedes.

S - Smell is better than expected, considering the style. Sweet dusty malt smell, slightest hop tinge, and some earthy / lemon grassy qualities to it. Not a bad nose for a cheap American adjunct lager.

T - Taste follows the nose. Crisp, sweet, earthy grains, and some lemony grass qualities present.

M - Feel is crisp & clean, with some fair carbonation and high drinkability.

Overall, definitely not the greatest beer to pass my lips, but in the realm of cheap sh**ty American adjunct lagers, this beer soars above some of the bigger brand names like Budweiser, Miller Lite, & Coors. I would liken this beer to what the Minhas Name Tag Lager tasted like. Unknown abv, but a highly drinkable beer with a more than affordable price tag.

Pittsburgh Brewing Old German Premium Lager Beer ---2.5/5

rowyn, Dec 19, 2012
2.5/5  rDev +2%

Octoberist, Jul 23, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -28.6%

Nothing like seeing a beer you bought 6 of with a D+ rating, hope it is better than that.

Clear yellow colored beer with a small white head.

Smell is strongly vegetables with a very slight hop scent. This really does smell like hell!

Taste is nothing, maybe a very slight lemon flavor from hops. Club soda with lemon and that is all that is here. But unlike the smell this doesn't taste bad.

Club soda with lemon deserves a 1 for mouthfeel.

Yeah you can swallow it. I have 5 more of these damn things! Might dump them down the drain to get the Aluminum back.

Zorro, Feb 08, 2009
1.83/5  rDev -25.3%

Presentation: White 12 oz can, Famous Herman the German graphics pictured

Appearance: Not willing to pour this into a glass, but it appears to be a crisp, clear yellow

Smell: Grains, alcohol, very sharp

Taste: Better that a Natty, but not much. Induces slightly less grimacing

Mouthfeel: Too much carbonation, very thin also

Drinkability: Extra points for smoothness! It beats some of the bargain-barrel competition here.

Notes: Dirt-cheap, and has a certain charm to it. The world knows no finer?!

mjc410, Feb 17, 2005
2.85/5  rDev +16.3%

For a relatively inexpensive brew, with the simplest of packaging, this beer is pretty good...I was surprised. The colour is a light gold with a pretty crown which quickly leaves..with the exception of some serious glass cling and ring...the body is weak but the taste is acceptable...well balanced and crisp.Strong skunky aroma when first decapped.

Shiloh, Dec 25, 2002

slimntubbs, Jan 30, 2012
1.63/5  rDev -33.5%

A: Pours a yellow-straw color with some irregular bubbles of carbonation. The white head is initially medium-sized and foamy, although retention is lacking and the cap fades quickly. There's a light smattering of lacing, but mostly the head doesn't stick around long enough to make an impact.

S: Rough, cereal graininess in the nose. A slight herbal hop presence, but significant notes of corn and cooked vegetables keep things mostly unappealing. Also a bit of a metallic edge.

T: Cooked cereal grain flavor up front, with a mild sweetness. Definite corn and veggie character. A light kiss of herbal hops. A twangy, musty flavor is also present - sort of a club soda sourish note. Quite watery.

M: Medium-light body. Carbonation is perky and club soda-esque, which would almost make this beer refreshing if it weren't so watery and lacking in flavor.

D: This is pretty rough, even for a $2.50 sixer of cans. Too much of a funky vegetal character alongside a beer that is otherwise mediocre at best. There are better bargain-basement macros out there; I suspect this survives only out of a combination of nostalgia and novelty.

Clydesdale, Apr 14, 2010
1.93/5  rDev -21.2%

6 pack 16 oz cans from Fred Meyer, Wilsonville. $4.59 Have never ever seen this before but i was attracted b the odd,kitchy 1930s style label art. Not even going to attempt a pour but ts just fine and dandy from the can. Aroma is typical cheap American macro-lager cereal,paper,slightly sour. Taste pretty bland, some cereal, a touch of lemon then seltza water basically Very thin..just water really on the palate. Its drinkable but barely beer..i was actually expecting more seeing the old style can

Reidrover, Nov 08, 2011

Crankin', stankin', KA-Blankin' brew that I purchase regularly after visiting my Father in Maryland. OK...so it isn't the greatest beer on the block! It IS, however, noteworthy and quite good for it's origin and intention! Hoist it loud and proud!

freemone233, Nov 29, 2011

Braz, Sep 29, 2013
Old German from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.