Old German - Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

Old GermanOld German

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2002

Reviews by MirkoCroCough:
3.35/5  rDev +35.1%

Pounder can into pint glass. Rest drank from the can.

Light golden color. Nothing amazing but not an artificial strange yellow color.

Malts, adjuncts, and faint whiff of booze.

Not bad. Actually reminds of Schlitz when it was cheap and before it got rebranded. Faint hop bitterness.

Light, seltzery, dry finish.

Not a bad. It is a cheap beer and is what it is. Worth trying.

3.26/5  rDev +31.5%

Straight from Can

All you expect a cheap American Adjunct Lager to be but slightly better than bud et al as a little more maltyness.

Enjoy it more as it is a nostalgic choice as not available in my current area or where I lived when first drank as it was the best cheap get drunk stuff in the mountains of West Virginia when rock climbing, caving and drinking by cabins years ago.

So when outdoors in the sun and you plan to drink a bunch while doing nothing or holding one while playing frisbee - this is a good choice.

3.03/5  rDev +22.2%

Poured from a 12oz can into a Pilsner glass. How can you not buy a beer called "Old German"?

Appearance: clear straw-hued body with a finger of pillowy white foam which dissipates quickly. Unexciting, but I've seen worse.

Smell: light malt aroma that has this very light but unfortunate plasticy tinge to it. It's not corny, which is great, but that plastic aroma just doesn't work for me.

Taste: light malt flavor with a little hop bite to it. Not much there, but no glaring flaws.

Mouthfeel: light-lager mouthfeel with a pretty good level of carbonation. I'd say it fills the bill for being refreshing.

Overall: I couldn't really rate the flavor very high because there isn't much flavor here. Still, the relative lack of off-flavors means this is a pretty decent adjunct lager.

3.66/5  rDev +47.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Finally decided to give this value brew a try. For the price I was not disappointed. Drinks like a BMC light beer with more flavor and character. One wonders, if this is truly brewed by the original German family recipe, do they use adjuncts or is it pure malt? Whatever the truth is, I would definitely go for this again as a hot summer day refreshment after yard work. The very faint yet enticing flavors of apple, citrus and caramel separate it from the other low calorie lagers.

1.59/5  rDev -35.9%

A forty of Old German as old Herman flaunts his chalice full of godly nectar at us he forms a grin full of smug audacity toward us...his patrons while realizing that his joy is related to the fact that we are imbibing upon this piss that passes by his presence as he enjoys his favorite Belgian specialty served in proper glassware...fuck Herman. Anyway now that I've stated my peace...let's look at it as it forms an apple juiced tone golden body with a large bubbled overly carbonated artificially carbonated foamy white head dwindles almost instantly upon the pour leaves behind specks of scarce lacing. Aroma cooked veggies, cereal grains corn and rice some sweetness and no hop character leaves me wanting so much more. Flavor full of a crazy gag inducing sweetness with so much offness that it deserves no warning to the silly consumer (myself)...yep I knew what I was getting myself into. No clean crispness as a coating layer of grotesqueness enters my palate literally all of the undesireable flavors simply camp out on your palate no smooth or crisp characteristics to this one high carbonation that tickles the throat with each sip...sorry folks keep bottling it for the novelty it was worth my $1.59 plus tax. Drinkability...let's just say it was fun drinking this legendary western PA brew that I could definitely see why it's rep has followed it.

2.71/5  rDev +9.3%

My local craft beer store doesn't carry any BMC type beers, but the owner has a fondness for this beer, and has to pull some strings to carry it. He gave me a free can so I could see what all the fuss was about.

Appearance- Poured into a pint glass, 2 fingers of bright white head rises up, and pretty much falls right back down. The beer itself is a very transparent straw color. There was a bit of lacing trying to keep track of my big gulps.

Smell- Mostly corn with a bit of grain. The smell is really faint, which is probably a good thing in this case.

Taste- Sweet, with corn and a bit of graininess. Once the high carbonation kicks in, I pretty much loose any flavor I was tasting before. It's half adjunct lager, half carbonated spring water. There's just a little bit of metal in the finish, as well.

MF- High carbonation prickles the tongue, but isn't so high that it burns the throat like some similar style/priced beers tend to do to me.

Drinkability- I have to give this a pretty high score for drinkability because my pint glass was emptied quick, and drinking it didn't do my tongue much harm. The flavors are light, and refreshing. It's hard to believe that "Ultra" or "Light" isn't written anywhere on the can.
It's too bad I waited until winter to try this beer. This would have been a great beer to drink a case of while playing yard games in the summer.

3.24/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. "Old German Premium Lager Beer"
12 oz. can, $10.59/24 pack case at Javie's Beverage, Phila., PA

I was pleasantly surprised by how clean this lager now is, especially given it's rank as a super economy beer. I'd tasted it many years ago and it wasn't nearly as polished.

It's a basic American adjunct lager with a crystal clear straw gold to gold body beneath an average sized head of bright white that drops readily to just a collar and leaves very little in the way of lacing.

The aroma displays a touch of apple and a hint of grainy malt but nothing more.

In the mouth it's light to light-medium in body and gently crisp.

The flavor offers the same apple and light malt note that the aroma suggests with a surprising clear note of hoppiness, which is of course fairly 'generic' in its character - if I had to guess I'd go with Cluster, but I'd also be surprised if those are even being grown anymore. It's minimally bitter, but that's all that's needed to balance it as there's really not that much malt, and it's just about as flavorful as many light beers. In fact, Bud Light has 110 calories whereas Old German only delivers 95.

That gets me to thinking... is this the same beer I tasted all those years ago, or is it even lighter than it was then? Probably not, just better brewed.

Overall it's a decent 'light' lager. I'd personally categorize it as a camping/fishing/hunting/beach/boating beer as it's definitely a "lawnmower beer". It's crisp and clean and refreshing, and at just 4.2% abv you can have more than one.

1.85/5  rDev -25.4%

For some reason, my fancy beer store started carrying this last week, so I figured for 75 cents I could take a can home and try it out for educational purposes. Note to my customers: if I recommend this to you, it's because you have somehow severely wronged me at some point in the past.
Pours a startingly clear pale yellow, topped by a fizzy white head that promply retreats to nothing. Aroma of adjunct malt and corn, with a faint whiff of cooked veggies. Palate is not as bad as others have claimed, but by that I mean only that it's not totally offensive. Slightly sour, slightly skunky, with adjunct malt providing the only character. Body is thin and fizzy. Won't be trying this again.

2.75/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

quite possibly the worst beer I have ever had

3.1/5  rDev +25%

I don't really see the pilsner style here it is a better than average american macro. Malty with just a kiss of hops and very drinkable. Decent head, some lacings, and an easy drinker. Not a beer I'm lusting after but I wouldn't turn one down if offered.

2.25/5  rDev -9.3%

3.75/5  rDev +51.2%

2.19/5  rDev -11.7%

while I wish I had the pleasure of drinking out of a 40, as pictured, I'll have to survive with a 16oz can, which I inexplicably poured into a pilsner glass. habit, I suppose.

Looks like water with a drop or two of yellow food coloring. A bit of carbonation fuels a rocky and chunky white head that isn't all that bad, and leaves some nice sheets of lacing.

The aroma, on the other hand, is only saved by its relative mildness. cooked grains, almost cream-of-wheaty, with a bit of corn, a bit of spinach, and a touch of hops.

Tastes like water with a bit of beer in it. or properly, a shandy with water instead of soda. a bit grainy, a bit of wheat, a bit grassy. tastes like bubbles.

mouthfeel is spritely. like sprite. a bit sweet, a lot carbonated. a touch drying, although it may just be the immense carbonation.

wow. apparently "the world knows no finer." I beg to differ. For the price, however, I suppose it's alright, which garners a bit of a score boost. but I'd rather spend a touch more for BMC and get mass market beechwood aged flavor. I can't believe I just said that.

1.46/5  rDev -41.1%

Appearence: Poured into my St. Bernardus Goblet (probably the first time this beer has ever graced a goblet) a very light yellowish gold with no head at all.

Smell: The smell is an actually bearable smell of malts with faint hop bitterness.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Wow. That is really bad. Honestly, I don't understand why people drink something that tastes this awful. Why would you drink beer that doesn't even taste like anything? You'd think people would want something flavorful or interesting or even high proof. But, no. People flock to this garbage like flies flock to fresh dog shit on a hot day. And you know what? I bet what they're eating tastes better than this horrible mixture of fake malts, no hop bitterness, and a horrible, horrible cereal aftertaste that lingers on forever.

Drinkability and Overall: Um, I think I summed it up already.

2.43/5  rDev -2%

24 fl oz. can (1 pint 8 oz.) with no apparent freshness date present. My first encounter with a can of this cheap swill, acquired at the local beer store for $1.99. Review #250 for me!

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours two fingers of fluffy bright white head on top of a crystal clear, pale yellow straw colored body. Some carbonation bubbles rushing to the top & the faintest tiny sediment bits floating around. Fat sheets of lacing as the beer recedes.

S - Smell is better than expected, considering the style. Sweet dusty malt smell, slightest hop tinge, and some earthy / lemon grassy qualities to it. Not a bad nose for a cheap American adjunct lager.

T - Taste follows the nose. Crisp, sweet, earthy grains, and some lemony grass qualities present.

M - Feel is crisp & clean, with some fair carbonation and high drinkability.

Overall, definitely not the greatest beer to pass my lips, but in the realm of cheap sh**ty American adjunct lagers, this beer soars above some of the bigger brand names like Budweiser, Miller Lite, & Coors. I would liken this beer to what the Minhas Name Tag Lager tasted like. Unknown abv, but a highly drinkable beer with a more than affordable price tag.

Pittsburgh Brewing Old German Premium Lager Beer ---2.5/5

2.75/5  rDev +10.9%

2.5/5  rDev +0.8%

2.5/5  rDev +0.8%

1.72/5  rDev -30.6%

Nothing like seeing a beer you bought 6 of with a D+ rating, hope it is better than that.

Clear yellow colored beer with a small white head.

Smell is strongly vegetables with a very slight hop scent. This really does smell like hell!

Taste is nothing, maybe a very slight lemon flavor from hops. Club soda with lemon and that is all that is here. But unlike the smell this doesn't taste bad.

Club soda with lemon deserves a 1 for mouthfeel.

Yeah you can swallow it. I have 5 more of these damn things! Might dump them down the drain to get the Aluminum back.

Old German from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.